AIS Fiber - anyone have recent experience?

nickbkk

2 hours ago, JaiMaai said:

I can install the app ok but it just tells me no device can be found on the current network. Ive tried connecting the box by wifi and ethernet

My screw up. I've been reconfiguring the box with my own apps and launchers and deleting a load of stuff i thought  I wouldn't  need. Works fine after a factory reset. Now just need to start from scratch setting the box up again.

On 16 August 2016 at 8:15 AM, mtls2005 said:

FWIW, AIS is heavily marketing, advertising, promoting this service, so it's not like we can keep it a secret. But your point is well taken, especially re: tech and customer support.

The AIS Play Box is actually a bit more open than I had thought. It's running 4.4.2, with 1 GB ROM/8 GB RAM (a budget Android device); with two USB ports. You can play anything off a USB stick/HDD. I added the Play Store, and then you can load any app there, even presumably Kodi. I'd recommend an air-mouse.

I have to say the WiFI on the Huawei unit is pretty impressive; I actually get slightly higher speedtest results using WiFi than wired.

Still working on changing WiFI channels and securing the units.

Mine came with the Play Store installed. Although browsing it without mouse and keyboard is a pain. Also mine came with an app to load apks from the memory card.

12 hours ago, Lorin said:

Is your phone controlling the box ok?  If you can upload the apk somewhere(Like sendspace) for me to download will be highly appreciated..:)  Thank you

Yes. But I'm not seeing a huge difference in functionality with the remote, other than the obvious benefit of not having to rely on direct IR (pointing the standard remote right at the box). An air-mouse would also address this issue. I use a standard (2.4) wireless keyboard and mouse to set-up KODI stuff. I think this playbox supports Bluetooth, so a BT keyboard would also work.

PM sent.

1 hour ago, mtls2005 said:

Yes. But I'm not seeing a huge difference in functionality with the remote, other than the obvious benefit of not having to rely on direct IR (pointing the standard remote right at the box). An air-mouse would also address this issue. I use a standard (2.4) wireless keyboard and mouse to set-up KODI stuff. I think this playbox supports Bluetooth, so a BT keyboard would also work.

PM sent.

Thank you for PM, I'll also try to connect my Microsoft Arc bt mouse to the box today.

1 hour ago, JaiMaai said:

There is a menu entry for bluetooth on my box but it doesn't seem to do anything when I it on.

I'll do some more investigation later.

Oops, sorry, I thought I saw Bluetooth 4.0 in the specs section of the manual. Now it's disappeared. Must have been confused, maybe by that menu option in Android settings. Again, sorry for the mis-information.

http://www.ais.co.th/playbox/manual/AIS_PLAYBOX_User_Manual.pdf

I'm also wondering if the Playbox APP can be installed on other devices.

I did manage to extract the APP from my box and install it on the second box in the bedroom. The app starts but then shows a brief message  (In Thai) that seems to be about registering first then the app closes. I wonder how the app authenticates? Is it on MAC address, maybe?

There is the AIS Play app on Playstore that seems to have the same context but it's clearly designed for phones/tablets and not quite as slick when used on a TV box.

I suspect there can only be one playbox associated with your account.

The AIS Play app. is pretty cool, that's independent of AIS Fiber/playbox, and requires an AIS SIM to receive a log-on OTP. I was using that for the Olympics, AIS was the official mobile broadcaster with 13 channels which I casted to my Chromecast.  I haven't tried it but the Program Guide tab might be OK for a UI, if using the Play app on another Android box, to access the AIS stations?

Edited by mtls2005

15 hours ago, JaiMaai said:

My screw up. I've been reconfiguring the box with my own apps and launchers and deleting a load of stuff i thought  I wouldn't  need. Works fine after a factory reset. Now just need to start from scratch setting the box up again.

Same thing happening to me now, does not find devices on the same network...:(  I did not install much on the box, strange. Will try to reset the box to factory settings.

Have had AIS Fibre 50/10 since 1 July 16...still working fine & fast...up-time has been 100%. Mine is fibre all the way to my house; not fibre most of the way and then VDSL the last X-meters to your residence like commonly seen in high-wise condo type buildings.

Below is a snapshot of speedtests "done to Singapore" using DSLReports HTML5 speedtester going back to 16 Jun 16.  You can also set the speedtester to test to other locations if desired.   Every few days I would run a test....last dot on the snapshot was run about 30 minutes ago/9:30pm Bangkok time.  

When switching to AIS I still had a True 15Mb down / 1.5Mb up DOCSIS/Cable plan also which I first got mid 2011...it was a super reliable plan uptime-wise but international speed was not great....but domestic speed was always 15Mb or significantly more due to DOCSIS bursting capability.   Almost all tests done via Wifi connection between my laptop and my ASUS router/access point..a few tests were via ethernet direct connect.  

I have made a  couple of annotations on the below snapshot which shows both speedtests done on both True and AIS plans.  I kept the True plan for several weeks after getting the AIS Fibre plan on 1 Jul 16.

Any speedtest results on the snapshot at around 20Mb or lower are tests done on the True 15Mb/1.5Mb plan.  All other tests were done on the AIS Fibre 50/10 plan.   Just as a reminder, all the test results were to Singapore.  

Please note the annotations talking about the different True/AIS plan and the Wifi router interference problem (i.e., from neighbor's Wifi routers) I had for a while until I got my ASUS Wifi router settings/tweaked to basically eliminate the interference.  I have an ethernet connection between the AIS-provided router and my ASUS router/access point.  That Wifi interference caused some slower, erratic speedtests on the higher speed AIS plan....but once I got my ASUS router tweaked to minimize interference my speedtests flatten out to consistent 50Mb download results.  At the lower speed True plan Wifi interference never showed itself; only after I was now dealing with a much higher Wifi speed that the interference became an issue.  The vertical bars are the upload results which were usually 10-12Mb for the AIS plan.   Now, domestic speedtests "within Thailand" are always around 51Mb down / 12Mb up.   Yeap, I still happy with my AIS Fibre plan.

Capture.JPG

• Like 2

I successfully signed up for the the free THDDNS service which AIS offers. This is required to provide access between devices on your home LAN and the big, wide internet as it maps AIS's double NAT implementation. So you get a domain name (along with up to 10 ports) which is then dynamically mapped to the 110.112.x.x <--> 49.228.x.x IP addresses, and then you can utilize up to 10 ports (TCP/UDP). This is the only solution, AFAIK, which can accommodate things like home security cameras, web/email servers, NAS, remote access, port forwarding, etc. with AIS Home Fiber packages

That said I haven't yet configured any devices, but do have to set up remote access for some IP cameras for someone on AIS. Will follow up.

• Like 1

Below are some mostly Testmy.net tests with one Speedtest.net test to London thrown in.  Testing is to international sites at around 2pm Bangkok time.   I've now had AIS Fibre for 2 months and 1 days.

Remember Testmy.net is a "single-thread" tester vs Speedtest.net which is a "multi-thread" tester which can use up to 8 threads that will result in higher results/speeds.  Using multi-threads is all well-and-good for websites/services that use multi-threading, but all websites/services do not use multi-threading.   

And always remember, take speed test results with a grain of salt, time of day/night at your location and the location you are  testing to can make a big difference, etc...etc....etc.  And using VPN can either make a big difference (much higher speed) or make  little/no difference.    Everyone's results will vary.

Bangkok to Singapore

lUOTEHkeF.aDqNwBHmg.png

Bangkok to Los Angeles

pN7n2tA6z.q4op5fzmF.png

Bangkok to Frankfurt

SeIsqPfA3.uZAL4lFQU.png

Bangkok to London

(not to good...pretty much like when i was on True....I then tried a Speedtest.net test to London shown further down...I also expect if I had made a VPN connection the Testmy.net the result would have jumped way up based on my earlier VPN testing....but I'm too lazy to make a VPN connection right now)

nL9k5UWwR.VmxhZF6Ks.png

Bangkok to London Using Speedtest.net which is a multi-thread tester...may use up to 8 treads like a download manager

5599215916.png

Hello Pib,

I just find it odd that having found something so wonderful on the technology side in Thailand, that you don't keep it to yourself, after all this is Thailand.

I agree with you AIS Fibre is very good at the moment and I have had it for almost a year.

I have had a few problems, thankfully nothing big, and their service department is not so wonderful. It takes 3 days before it sends the problem out to an engineer (who will not be able to speak English).

I have noticed that as soon as this thread starts to go cold you send out your free advert, with a myriad of speed tests, which is why I jokingly suggest that you may be in their employ.

My personal concern is that as soon AIS Fibre becomes over subscribed it will turn out as bad as TOT, True and 3BB.

Edited by elfpattaya
  • Like 1

Just want to pass along/share a good thing as having a slow/unreliable internet plan can be very frustrating.  AIS Fibre may or may not become oversubscribed....time will tell.  Just wanted to give folks more feedback after having the plan for a couple of months as many posts over the years always talked about how their plan was speedy for a few weeks or one month like the ISP was giving them priority service as a new customer for the first X-weeks/first month.  That hasn't happen for me...and hopefully it won't.    AIS sure ain't giving me no commission unless their check is still in the mail to me....I'm not holding my breath.

I just find it odd that having found something so wonderful on the technology side in Thailand, that you don't keep it to yourself, after all this is Thailand.

You do realize that AIS is heavily promoting their AIS Fiber service, with billboards, BTS trains/stations, TV, internet advertising? They have close to 38 million mobile subscribers, ripe for marketing.

I think it would be odd to think you could keep it to yourself?

Back on topic...

Anyone using the Huawei HG8245H router, are you able to assign more than three (3) fixed IP addresses? It seems like when I try to add a 4th, it replaces one the exiting three? But maybe I'm doing something wrong - I often do.

(A stock HG8245H should be able to support a lot of fixed IP addresses, maybe up to 50? But the AIS version has custom {for AIS} firmware.)

It seems odd as they give you ten (10) free DDNS ports.

On 9/2/2016 at 3:40 PM, elfpattaya said:

Hello Pib,

I agree with you AIS Fibre is very good at the moment and I have had it for almost a year.

I have had a few problems, thankfully nothing big, and their service department is not so wonderful. It takes 3 days before it sends the problem out to an engineer (who will not be able to speak English).

I have noticed that as soon as this thread starts to go cold you send out your free advert, with a myriad of speed tests, which is why I jokingly suggest that you may be in their employ.

My personal concern is that as soon AIS Fibre becomes over subscribed it will turn out as bad as TOT, True and 3BB.

I tried AIS's fiber service map https://newfibre.ais.co.th/process/checkcoverage to see if Nongplalai (north darkside) is enabled but apparently not.  However, it doesn't seem to light up on any beach side locales either? Where are you located? On the bright side? It would seem that taking a year to cross Sukhumvit may be par for the course. It took True about 18 months to reach the dark side when I moved back here about 4 years ago. I have bog-standard 3BB at the house at the moment but do a fair bit of AIS enabled stuff when out and about so wouldn't mind upping the service at home.

yes, its the 50/10 powerhome

1pm results over ethernet to remove any wifi uncertainty.

Tested with the HG180 in bridge mode hooked up to an Asus AC87U

I have the exact same setup. How did you get it hooked up?
I'm a bit stuck on activating the connection - I just get a message from network.ais.co.th that it's incorrect password.
One time I got a different screen that allowed me to activate the line (through Safari on my iPhone, it just connected to the Asus Wifi), but my fat fingers got the screen to disappear again.

Yes, AIS have been called numerous times, but they are very hard to reach, all of a sudden.

1 hour ago, bek said:

I have the exact same setup. How did you get it hooked up?
I'm a bit stuck on activating the connection - I just get a message from network.ais.co.th that it's incorrect password.
One time I got a different screen that allowed me to activate the line (through Safari on my iPhone, it just connected to the Asus Wifi), but my fat fingers got the screen to disappear again.

Yes, AIS have been called numerous times, but they are very hard to reach, all of a sudden.

What do you mean by 'activate the line?' 

I assume when the installer left, your internet and wifi was set up and working on the HG router??

i then looked into changing the HG router to bridge mode myself via the browser interface (log in details i had requested from the installation tech).  As its a custom AIS firmware, the option for bridge mode wasn't accessible. So, i called AIS and they did it remotely. 

After that i hooked up the ASUS and went through the set up - obviously you need the PPPoE login info - for me this was my customer number for both fields. 

Does this help?

What do you mean by 'activate the line?' 

I assume when the installer left, your internet and wifi was set up and working on the HG router??

i then looked into changing the HG router to bridge mode myself via the browser interface (log in details i had requested from the installation tech).  As its a custom AIS firmware, the option for bridge mode wasn't accessible. So, i called AIS and they did it remotely. 

After that i hooked up the ASUS and went through the set up - obviously you need the PPPoE login info - for me this was my customer number for both fields. 

Does this help?

The login for the more advanced interface is mentioned in this thread - awnfibre/fibre@dm!n - which enables you to switch to bridged mode yourself. I then connect my Asus, and set it up to PPPoE - user/pass is typed in automatically, I guess the info is somewhere in the signal, which the Asus can detect. The Asus router says everything ok in the status - I have Wan ip and it seems to be running. In my internet browser I get redirected to network.ais.co.th which gives me below message (iPhone screenshot)

3d89b491bd4be3a374f0f33b2213178b.jpg

I will keep trying to get AIS on the line - it must be something they have to activate from their side.

If you put the wrong user/pass you get sent to network.ais.co.th when trying to surf. In some cases (i believe only with the pro) they have to allow other mac addresses than the ais modem for bridge mode to work. But try correct user and pass first. I dont believe it can get passed to your router automatically

Finally got it sorted, and basically I should have been more stubborn on getting AIS on the phone.

I spoke to a lady who told me that within 10-20 minutes, a technician would set my router in bridge mode. She informed me that user/pass would be my customer no - the number starting with 88. As I had already tried to use that number as both username and password, I asked her what password currently was. She could not give me that information, as it had already been changed before she called me.

So as my screenshot says, it was the wrong password. I have been playing with it on/off for a few days (waiting for AIS to call back) and I have definately tried the number starting with 88 as both username and password, as well as the number the technician gave me when he installed it - I guess the technician gave me the wrong password.

In the gateway, they have simply just made a new connection. Default there is two connections (there is in mine, anyway), one for the internet, tied to lan ports 1-3 and wireless, and one for a seperat bridged connection tied to  lan 4. Yesterday, when I first noticed the bridged connection, I tried to connect to lan 4 as well, but that blocked VPN connections using the PPTP and OpenVPN protocols. Earlier today I tried to make a new connection myself, which also didnt work - because of wrong password obviously. The AIS technician has made a connection exactly the same as the one I made earlier today, so it should be possible to bridge it yourself, using the advanced login to the gateway.

Wether or not the gateway can get the user/pass automatically... well, I dont know. But when I was playing around with the existing default internet connection (to try and establish wether or not I had the correct password), I noticed that it always worked, no matter what password I used. I think it has to do with the selected "Service type". Default it is "TR069_Internet" - when I changed it to "Internet", I could not get it to connect if i changed the password.

Anyway, its working now... happy days!