Great new Mexican resturant

BB1955

The 90% figure seems to be from an American Express ad that doesn't give sources.

Look up The Restaurant Failure Myth, seems it's more like 60% which is is in line with cross industry average for the first three yeas of a new business.

Since your adverse to finger imputting here's a few:

http://www.bloomberg.com/news/articles/2007-04-16/the-restaurant-failure-mythbusinessweek-business-news-stock-market-and-financial-advice

https://www.whitehutchinson.com/blog/2011/02/the-truth-about-restaurant-failure-rates/

Have a look see at the chart comparing chain and independent run restaurants in the second link.

Anyway if you buy into a McDonald's a Burger King very well might open across the street and that would probably be closer to your product then another Mexican place opening across from Fajitas where the menu would most likely differ more and be much less likely to happen.

But comparing a Chef driven, which is often a family run affair here like the place this post is about, to a franchise is not really revalent.

But whatever the stats are, we can both quote internet searches all day long, I see many good places close up here all the time and when I go back to home many of the restaurants I opened 25 yrs ago are still thriving.

What I believe is a major factor comparing failure rate here to America is that it seems that many more places here open by people inexperienced in the field, hence my comment "I do notice a large restaurant failure rate which I chalk up partially to work ethic and professionalism, or there lack of."

How many places here can tell you the food costs for each dish and explain how they derived the menu price for the items. Business plan? Previous restaurant kitchen experience? Management training?

Obviously if you think babysitting is what will make a place succeed then you also shouldn't be opening a food establishment.

I'll leave you with a few other quotes from my first post:

"Tasted pretty good and was filling enough"

"My three friends all like their meals, two returning for their second time."

"Wishing them all the best and I think enough people would be happy with what they serve"

Is that what you were referring to when you said "easy to criticize" or was that another imputting issue and you meant critique?

• Replies 69
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I was in there last night all the tables were full inside and out , I dont think they have too much to be concerned about , brought in more staff to handle the flow . Again the meal was very good ....

The 90% figure seems to be from an American Express ad that doesn't give sources.

Look up The Restaurant Failure Myth, seems it's more like 60% which is is in line with cross industry average for the first three yeas of a new business.

http://www.bloomberg.com/news/articles/2007-04-16/the-restaurant-failure-mythbusinessweek-business-news-stock-market-and-financial-advice

https://www.whitehutchinson.com/blog/2011/02/the-truth-about-restaurant-failure-rates/

Have a look see at the chart comparing chain and independent run restaurants in the second link.

Anyway if you buy into a McDonald's a Burger King very well might open across the street and that would probably be closer to your product then another Mexican place opening across from Fajitas where the menu would most likely differ more and be much less likely to happen.

But comparing a Chef driven, which is often a family run affair here like the place this post is about, to a franchise is not really revalent.

But whatever the stats are, we can both quote internet searches all day long, I see many good places close up here all the time and when I go back to home many of the restaurants I opened 25 yrs ago are still thriving.

What I believe is a major factor comparing failure rate here to America is that it seems that many more places here open by people inexperienced in the field, hence my comment "I do notice a large restaurant failure rate which I chalk up partially to work ethic and professionalism, or there lack of."

How many places here can tell you the food costs for each dish and explain how they derived the menu price for the items. Business plan? Previous restaurant kitchen experience? Management training?

Obviously if you think babysitting is what will make a place succeed then you also shouldn't be opening a food establishment.

"Wishing them all the best and I think enough people would be happy with what they serve"

Is that what you were referring to when you said "easy to criticize" or was that another imputting issue and you meant critique?

JC - when I indicated criticize it was from some of the remarks here about "wrong ingredients", "not authentic", "not TexMex/Mex/Whatever Mex" by people that haven't been there but are content to sit back & knock it....

I see a family that has put some effort into a nice, clean, pleasant out of the way place to eat.....I see intiative & have heard from some folks that enjoyed eating there - so tried it and we enjoyed it a couple of times......

I wish them well....It takes balls to open a new business.....

Nobody I've spoken to has had a bad experience there but the knockers come out of the woodwork.....

I don't see any value to the criticism leveled.....Everything reported has come back pretty positive.....

I know it's apples & oranges to compare different counties for success rates.....Thanks for the upated figures - still a tough grind to get over the hump though.....Even when you think you've made it stuff happens - had one friend that had to shut down because he couldn't supply a handicapped restroom facility.....

Had a takeaway yesterday ( I live very close by and didnt want to miss The Open). Quesedillas with Chicken. 120 Baht. Very good value, and good flavours too. Owner tells me they intend to start delivery service, presumably within the area they operate, in the near future.

My, how the Mae Hia area has developed in recent years. Ten years ago if we wanted decent non Thai food we had to drive into the city. Now we have places like Yummy, Pasta e Basta, Origins Cafe, Fajitas, Viva Pizza, and several other options too, all within five minutes drive of where we live.

Probably Mr.Chow don't know about Meals on wheels company or Food panda ? They Deliver Mexican food from Miguel Restaurant ! Pizza not directly from the oven - not Pizza - ask Italians ! Some people prefer eating at restaurant, some at home , but restaurant food. What is wrong with it? In USA - 40% of restaurants provide delivery service , including leading Tex-Mex . Thai mentality , inexperience of Taco Bell ? .

JC - when I indicated criticize it was from some of the remarks here about "wrong ingredients", "not authentic", "not TexMex/Mex/Whatever Mex" by people that haven't been there but are content to sit back & knock it....

I see a family that has put some effort into a nice, clean, pleasant out of the way place to eat.....I see intiative & have heard from some folks that enjoyed eating there - so tried it and we enjoyed it a couple of times......

I wish them well....It takes balls to open a new business.....

Nobody I've spoken to has had a bad experience there but the knockers come out of the woodwork.....

I don't see any value to the criticism leveled.....Everything reported has come back pretty positive.....

I know it's apples & oranges to compare different counties for success rates.....Thanks for the upated figures - still a tough grind to get over the hump though.....Even when you think you've made it stuff happens - had one friend that had to shut down because he couldn't supply a handicapped restroom facility.....

Good post.

Also, if someone wants to improve a particular cuisine then fair play I reckon.

Archived