Great new Mexican resturant

BB1955

to continue:

"can only be duplicated if you have a special steamer to turn the tortilla rubbery and flexible to hold the massive contents without cracking. No tortilla steamer? you will have structural failure."

I agree the tortillas need heat to not only soften them up but to finish the cooking process so they don't taste like raw flour.

If your using a dry heat source, which will make it steam from the inside out, care is needed not to make it dry but also one must be sure the tortilla doesn't get wet by over steaming.

So a gas or even an electric burner will work well but for a busy restaurant's production a steamer is what's the Chef ordered.

"a work of art that really can only be duplicated if you have a special steamer" - not really as there are many ways to skin a burrito cowboy.gif

• Replies 69
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I respect all trying to do any business in Thailand , especially in restaurant business . Without them we all eat Pad Thai for all our life here. Not all cook at home and only some can afford to buy air tickets back to LA to eat proper dishes. Their site www.fajitaschiangmai.com have clear message : " Serving home style cooking food, influenced by Mexican and Mediterranean cuisine"

They not pretend to be authentic Mexican !

The closest thing to Mexican food Is Miguel's. It is California/ Baja/Tijuana style. I know because I AM MIGUEL. Can't get proper ingredients to do it 100%.

Plus all the cheapskates in Chaing Mai you really have to watch your prices.

They think 150baht is expensive. But they spend 1000baht a head at Dukes! Go figure.

[quote name="boomerangutang"

If I meet a Thai gal who can make salsa and guacemole, I'll marry her. Incidentally, I just met a cute gal in Tachilek Burma named Moley. No relation to guacamole, though some resemblance.

I've met her as well! Moley is her last name.....first name is Holey!!!

You moved to the wrong third-world country, my friend.

Right around the corner from us.....We've enjoyed it twice & had most of what's pictured....

Tex-Mex.....(Not Mexican).....for those that prefer one over the other.....

Black olives is not mexican or tex- mex, just from the photos a vague resemblence to tex mex but not really

Aceitunas negras/black olives come from Spain so it's perfectly natural to expect to find them in Mexican food,as the Spanish colonised all of South and Central America!

The closest thing to Mexican food Is Miguel's. It is California/ Baja/Tijuana style. I know because I AM MIGUEL. Can't get proper ingredients to do it 100%.

Plus all the cheapskates in Chaing Mai you really have to watch your prices.

They think 150baht is expensive. But they spend 1000baht a head at Dukes! Go figure.

Miguel Chow,are you half-Chinese? blink.png

In all my trips to Mexico, I've never had olives served to me; or orange cheese for that matter. IMHO, Mexican food gets allot better when you cross into the US. Better ingredients.

Much as I love the debate of mex-mex vs tex-mex vs cal-mex vs Cnx-mex maybe we need a sticky that explains what the various types are so next time someone discovers a New Mexican restaurant they can just post "I've found a new ???-mex that I like" without everyone having to re-hash the same old arguments ;)

^

Much as I love the debate of mex-mex vs tex-mex vs cal-mex vs Cnx-mex maybe we need a sticky that explains what the various types are so next time someone discovers a New Mexican restaurant they can just post "I've found a new ???-mex that I like" without everyone having to re-hash the same old arguments ;)

^

"It's anice'a place" .....

I agree with JungleChef.....the tortilla needs to be elastic. i used to use the Danitas tortillas here but now only use the El Charro. you can get them elastic in a microwave. if just a flat plate and a bit of water. I put rice in my burritos cause I like it and have a great recipe for mexican rice using a rice cooker and spices. Just gotta have them. Refried beans so easy with a bag of dried pintos and a big pot and a blender. use a crockpot to make shredded chicken......or pork. Miss the avos as of late.

Mexican seems subject to interpretation & individual taste.....When the olives came up I googled & found that in some parts of Mexico they were used...Other parts = no....

I've enjoyed having a couple of meals there - "authentic" or not....

I once worked around a "Mexican" area....I ate a few times at the "real" Mexican M&P deli's.....If I went by their offerings I would have never gotten Mexican food again.....

It's a good thing there are different types/choices.....

Not to mention it's not exactly a healthy every day diet....

Called by today. Tuesday. Closed. " Closed Tuesdays" apparently. What kind of professionally run restaurant closes on a weekday?!

Theyve had their chance. Amateurish !

That'll show'em

Called by today. Tuesday. Closed. " Closed Tuesdays" apparently. What kind of professionally run restaurant closes on a weekday?!

That'll show'em

Well you could have motored along & tried Pizza & Pasta but - closed Tuesday's.....But Papa Rocks is across the way - they're closed on Monday's so they'd be open for you today.....m

Salsa Kitchen does the same - maybe it's a mexican calendar thing.

No offence, but you are the one who will be missing out - they are good!

How dare they not publish the fact they're closed on Tuesday in every English-speaking publication in Northern Thailand,how dare they deny the mighty Bhwana his Tex-Mex on Tuesday?

attachicon.gifScreenshot_2016-07-12-19-23-59-93.png

Oddly enough their website & FB page says closed Tuesdays...

Who'da thunk it?

Well, you know what, smart ass, most people actually dont check out the website of a restaurant before they visit it, so dont get all snarky with me....go back to your sad googling!

sad googling laugh.png classic, a resto often closes on what they estimate to be their slowest day of the week, weekends are often busy, that is why they close on weekdays. I know the world should opperate as to P.P.s specifics that is why his posts are so fun.wink.png

I understand the frustration of going all the way to a restaurant in hopes of getting a specific meal one has been craving for days to find it closed but here one needs to check their operating hours first (website, FB page or call) as PP did.

I would like to point out that many close for lame reasons last minuet and post on their FB page but I don't particularly want to check every time right before finding a parking place.

My restaurant in America was open 11:30 a.m. - 10 p.m. 7 days a week, without closing between meals for years. I worked 12-16 hrs a day as owner/chef.

BUT we're not in Kansas (or Boston as the case may be) anymore. I understand why someone would want some free time for their family and life which is why they might be doing it here instead of back home, and am quite honestly very jealous they are able to.

I do notice a large restaurant failure rate which I chalk up partially to work ethic and professionalism, or there lack of.

I for one will not return to a restaurant that is closed during their regular hours of operation, many times without even a sign with an explanation on the door.

I've noticed that more hair salons here are slowly starting to close on Mondays, like in the West, instead of any random day, for the same reason that more customers would prefer their services on their day off. This is also true of the cycling shops, many which use to be closed on Sunday or Wednesday.

For this same reason in America many restaurants are closed on Monday, their slowest day.

I'm not sure why here places close on on weekends or at 5 p.m. but up to them but it should would make things simpler if there was some method to the madness but that sure wouldn't suit the local way of doing things would it smile.png

attachicon.gifScreenshot_2016-07-12-19-23-59-93.png

Oddly enough their website & FB page says closed Tuesdays...

Who'da thunk it?

Well, you know what, smart ass, most people actually dont check out the website of a restaurant before they visit it, so dont get all snarky with me....go back to your sad googling!

post-114384-0-05088700-1468377824_thumb.

OK - You make it easy....

Not sure what you mean by the high failure rate, I would assume it would be about the same (or even a tad less...) than the 3 year failure rate of 60% in the USA.

I understand the frustration of going all the way to a restaurant in hopes of getting a specific meal one has been craving for days to find it closed but here one needs to check their operating hours first (website, FB page or call) as PP did.

I would like to point out that many close for lame reasons last minuet and post on their FB page but I don't particularly want to check every time right before finding a parking place.

My restaurant in America was open 11:30 a.m. - 10 p.m. 7 days a week, without closing between meals for years. I worked 12-16 hrs a day as owner/chef.

BUT we're not in Kansas (or Boston as the case may be) anymore. I understand why someone would want some free time for their family and life which is why they might be doing it here instead of back home, and am quite honestly very jealous they are able to.

I do notice a large restaurant failure rate which I chalk up partially to work ethic and professionalism, or there lack of.

I for one will not return to a restaurant that is closed during their regular hours of operation, many times without even a sign with an explanation on the door.

I've noticed that more hair salons here are slowly starting to close on Mondays, like in the West, instead of any random day, for the same reason that more customers would prefer their services on their day off. This is also true of the cycling shops, many which use to be closed on Sunday or Wednesday.

For this same reason in America many restaurants are closed on Monday, their slowest day.

I'm not sure why here places close on on weekends or at 5 p.m. but up to them but it should would make things simpler if there was some method to the madness but that sure wouldn't suit the local way of doing things would it smile.png

Not sure what you mean by the high failure rate, I would assume it would be about the same (or even a tad less...) than the 3 year failure rate of 60% in the USA.

I'm not sure why here places close on on weekends or at 5 p.m. but up to them but it should would make things simpler if there was some method to the madness but that sure wouldn't suit the local way of doing things would it http://static.thaivisa.com/forum//public/style_emoticons/default/smile.png[/img

xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx

I'd been advised the US failure rate was in the 90+ percentile.....Even if you babysat the place 24/7 for the first few years failure after long hours were staring you in the face...

That's the big appeal of franchises - lower failure rate - usually hidden & undisclosed by the franchisor but still high without any guarantee they won't plant one right across the street from you once you've opened the market/area.....

At least you can give it an honest go here of your own choosing for a relatively small investment.....

Easy to criticize - but - atta boy, good for them.....More power to them.....

Look up - below the xxxxxxxxxxx - I'm not one finger inputting that again...

Archived