Great new Mexican resturant

BB1955

Place opened a week ago Saturday Canal road to Somong Road turn like going up the mountain will be 1.7 k on the right . Called Fahitas . The foods excellent and prices are very reasonable . Tonight was my 6th trip there , trying to work my way through the menu , its all been good food. They also have a full breakfast menu . Open at 10 am close at 9 pm closed on Tuesday . They get pretty busy and the dishes are prepared when ordered , but I ve never waited long for my food . No thai food on the menu , which sometimes is a downfall , but for once I ve found food that my wife eats and enjoys as much as I do ..... Trust me its worth the trip out there .

post-99323-14678938913024_thumb.jpg

post-99323-14678939095705_thumb.jpg

post-99323-14678939303918_thumb.jpg

post-99323-14678939496926_thumb.jpg

post-99323-14678939715015_thumb.jpg

post-99323-146789402183_thumb.jpg

• Replies 69
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Help, we need a Mexican place up here in Chiang Rai.

I went to Chiang Kong a few days ago, and there's a fine Mex place called Bamboo - in middle of town on river-side of main road.

If I meet a Thai gal who can make salsa and guacemole, I'll marry her. Incidentally, I just met a cute gal in Tachilek Burma named Moley. No relation to guacamole, though some resemblance.

[quote name="boomerangutang"

If I meet a Thai gal who can make salsa and guacemole, I'll marry her. Incidentally, I just met a cute gal in Tachilek Burma named Moley. No relation to guacamole, though some resemblance.

I've met her as well! Moley is her last name.....first name is Holey!!!

Spelled MOLE, and a Spanish word, used in Mexico for a chocolate/chili sauce. Very tasty when dumped onto the roasted chicken.

Sounds like the same gal. Incidentally, I spelled her name 'mole' when she inserted her tel# in my mobile, but she corrected the spelling by adding a 'y'. Plus, what does mole sound-out like? ha ha.

Spelled MOLE, and a Spanish word, used in Mexico for a chocolate/chili sauce. Very tasty when dumped onto the roasted chicken.

mole is not a spanish word, it is Nahuatl it means sauce. can be any sauce, most famous is guacamole (avocado sauce) my fave is made from pumpkin seeds but the chocolte one is good too.

Right around the corner from us.....We've enjoyed it twice & had most of what's pictured....

Tex-Mex.....(Not Mexican).....for those that prefer one over the other.....

Black olives is not mexican or tex- mex, just from the photos a vague resemblence to tex mex but not really

From Wikipedia -

"Taco Bell is an American chain of fast-food restaurants based in Irvine, California. They serve a variety of Tex-Mex foods including tacos, burritos, quesadillas, nachos."

Enrichito - wet burritos served between 1968 - 2003 and had 3 black olives on top, probably no one remember already...

post-48626-0-19838300-1468079120_thumb.j

Lanna-Mex?

Okay... I was gonna stay out of this, but as much as I wish the proprietor every success in his new endeavor, those photos have pretty much guaranteed that I won't be darkening his door any time soon. Black olives are not a deal breaker (for me, anyway) but pre-formed, fake "taco shells" definitely are. Also... "Mexican pizza" is neither "Mexican" nor "pizza". It exists in an unappetizing alternate universe, where the twain never shall meet.

Plus..... what on earth is that shiny black gloop, spooned over the translucent orange gloop, drizzled over what appear to be papadums lightly smeared with thin, (bean-free) bean dip?

The only items on the menu that look remotely appetizing to me are the 300-450 baht plates of chicken or steak fajitas, and at that price I think I'd rather mix up a pitcher of margaritas and head down to the shop on the corner for a bowl of khao soi.

Been there a couple of times and for me it's so so. I'd rather go to Salsa Kitchen TBH. First time we went they screwed up the order and delivered french fries covered in chilli-con-carne instead of a wet burrito. We ordered the lamb wet burrito too which was very oily. Not overly appetising.

Second time ordered cheese and bacon quesadillas which were quite bland and more full of egg than anything, very little bacon, very greasy too. Also ordered the spicy chicken burrito. No bad but the taco got soggy real quick and fell apart, also pretty bland, not spicy at all. Every dish comes with a small bowl of salsa and one of sour cream, not much by way of variety and nothing like the accompaniments you get at Salsa Kitchen. We tried the chocolate crepes which were awful. Tasteless chocolate coloured tortillas with a drizzle of chocolate sauce and condensed milk.

Won't be in a rush to go back I think. Not bad but after two visits I think I'm done. It's handy that it's closer to Hangdong than town if your'e desperate I suppose but I think I'd rather wait until I can be bothered to go to town for Mexican themed food.

I thought it was pretty good- not the best I ever had, but I'll go back again. It's also nice to get out that way a bit- there are a few nice little restaurants and coffee shops on that section of Samoeng Road.

mole is not a spanish word, it is Nahuatl it means sauce. can be any sauce, most famous is guacamole (avocado sauce) my fave is made from pumpkin seeds but the chocolte one is good too.

By that kind of reasoning, garage is not an English word since it comes from the French. In fact, there probably aren't any English words at all, since their etymology can all be traced back to some other language. Mole has been used for centuries by Spanish speakers who haven't a clue about origin. I think it's overdue for its naturalization papers.

looks to me to be food prepared by what the Mexicans call "gringos" - white people. as far as the olives are concerned, Mexicans do use some olives in their cooking. there is one very popular dish served in good restaurants in Mexico City that incorporates olives. i can't think of the name right now. but the cheese in the photos is yellow cheddar? cheese. Mexicans do not use cheddar cheese..... hard sells????? no.....

i'll stick with Miguels. owned by a gringo (Canadian) but the closest to real Mexican food here. i saw a large debate on FB about a month ago or so about the subject and the Mexican people in the group who live here in C.M. all agreed - Miguels or nothing. since there are a number of Mexicans living in C.M. i don't understand why someone doesn't open a little place. i would imagine they would do quite well....

i have thought of trying the place on Canal Road, but over the years i have stopped in front of the place about six times (no joke) and never once seen a customer in there - not once, not a single customer. so i always kept on driving as it seemed like a bad sign.

My number one missed food. Hope the place soars and does a gteat trade.

At my local....a british guy opened a place by the same name....must have pulled the name out of his arse....the worst food god ever threw at Planet Earth.....quickly run off the beach for cheating customers...opened an Italian Place next beach over....even worse run off again...this time by Thais...I saw that he opened a seafood place that lasted a week.........

FYI: The Thai woman told me her Israeli husband is the cook.

I had a Chicken Fajita Burrito, which was chicken with peppers, onions and cheese, that was it. To me a burrito has more in it, like rice to combine the food like the way it is used in Thai dishes often.

Also it was not rolled up like I like a burrito, just folded over so when I picked it up all the fillings fell out on my plate.

Tasted pretty good and was filling enough but not what I expect or prefer when I order a burrito.

My three friends all like their meals, two returning for their second time. Again to me a quesadilla with tuna salad (tuna fish and mayo) with melted cheese was a hard to eat mess and not very Mexican.

Wishing them all the best and I think enough people would be happy with what they serve, hope the location isn't a hinderance to their success.

Mexican burritos usually do not have rice, in my experience (in Mexico) usally a semi-dry beef is used. a take away snack, lunch thing. Sonoran resto style has beans and cheese too and maybe sauce on top. The one with rice is a S.F. Mission style , where a giant tortilla surrounds an entire meal, rice beans meat, cheese salsa, guacamole . a work of art that really can only be duplicated if you have a special steamer to turn the tortilla rubbery and flexible to hold the massive contents without cracking. No tortilla steamer? you will have structural failure.

I've bought them from a guy selling in a bar, out of a cooler, that were stuffed with beef and potato. About thumb size. The legend is that they got the name because they were delivered to an orphanage to the "little idiots." Others claim, it looks like the blanket nearly rolled up behind the saddle of a burro rider.

The Tex-Mex ones can be quite large...I've weight one at 600 grams....stuffed with grilled steak and a green liquid...but not the whole kitchen sink.

This famous Phoenix-San Diego franchise does 20 kinds of burritos....The owners are Mexican, and so are two thirds of their customers...http://filibertos.com/fdm-menu-section/burritos/

Mexican burritos usually do not have rice, in my experience (in Mexico) usally a semi-dry beef is used. a take away snack, lunch thing. Sonoran resto style has beans and cheese too and maybe sauce on top. The one with rice is a S.F. Mission style , where a giant tortilla surrounds an entire meal, rice beans meat, cheese salsa, guacamole . a work of art that really can only be duplicated if you have a special steamer to turn the tortilla rubbery and flexible to hold the massive contents without cracking. No tortilla steamer? you will have structural failure.

To quote some previous posts:

pgrahmm "Tex-Mex.....(Not Mexican)."

Rob13 "Cal-Mex"

nicksal37 "www.fajitaschiangmai.com" - which THIER headliner is "Fajitas Tex Mex Restaurant"

or

KKK: "those photos aren't Tex-Mex; they are kiddie mex." smile.png

and even

landtrout " Lanna-Mex?"

Archived