Foreign owned yacht sinks off Phuket

snoop1130

Foreign owned yacht sinks off Phuket
Eakkapop Thongtub

post-249866-0-50894000-1467894441_thumb.

PHUKET: -- A foreign couple today (July 7) went to the Krabi Marine Police to report that their yacht had sunk whilst moored off Ao Nang late last night (July 6) during a storm.

Alexander Travkin, 31, from Russia and his partner Julia Mironova, 29, from the Ukraine filed a report with the Krabi Marine Police at noon today where it was stated that their 12 metre yacht Adventure had sunk at Ao Nang.

Mr Travkin told police that he and Ms Mironova, both freelance photographers, had travelled on their yacht from Malaysia and were heading to Phuket.

Full Story: http://www.thephuketnews.com/foreign-owned-yacht-sinks-off-phuket-58170.php#Q5SkXA8qJ1upvj3B.97

tpn.jpg
-- Phuket News 2016-07-07

So they anchored on a lee shore and went to town leaving the yacht unattended.

Anchor most likely dragged and it either hit rocks and holed or the keel was pounded into the bottom as it grounded in waves leading to the sinking.

Not surprised. Sounds pretty negligent to me I'm afraid.

Headline: "Foreign owned yacht sinks off Phuket"

Story: "...their 12 metre yacht Adventure had sunk at Ao Nang."

The yacht sank about 50km off Phuket and probably less than 1km off Krabi.

Has Ao Nang been annexed by Phuket?

So they anchored on a lee shore and went to town leaving the yacht unattended.

Anchor most likely dragged and it either hit rocks and holed or the keel was pounded into the bottom as it grounded in waves leading to the sinking.

Not surprised. Sounds pretty negligent to me I'm afraid.

“The wind was strong and the waves were big so we moored the yacht at Ao Nang and stayed in town"

I most likely would have stayed on my boat if the wind was strong ...unless I knew the said anchorage well enough.smile.png

AoNang is very exposed, safe moorings in such weather are very few depending on wind direction. But alternatives are there and are always, depending on experience and planning.

This time of year it can blow up in a minute. Not for the novices. I hope the/their 'Adventure' is not lost.

Insurances paid up etc...