Smoking in your car

Rayk

The police views is that providing there are no children in the car, it is not an offence in itself to smoke, eat or change the CD or radio whilst driving but you could commit the offence of driving without due care and attention or not being in proper control of the vehicle. These are some activities that distract driver's attention from the road. Others include reading maps, talking on a hands-free mobile phone and having very loud music in the car. Distracted drivers are more likely to have/cause accidents. There have been cases of drivers dropping lighted cigarettes into their laps whilst driving.

A Thai truck driver gained fame a year or two ago after going on Facebook. A policeman fined him for wearing unsuitable shoes for driving. Flip flops, rubber boots? No, very expensive open top shoes, that the policeman apparently took exception to.

In other words, as in any other country, if they want to do you, you will get done.

A Thai truck driver gained fame a year or two ago after going on Facebook. A policeman fined him for wearing unsuitable shoes for driving. Flip flops, rubber boots? No, very expensive open top shoes, that the policeman apparently took exception to.

In other words, as in any other country, if they want to do you, you will get done.

For public transport drivers flip flops are not allowed. Private cars they are allowed.

Dont think it's a smoking law, it's a driving law, no eating, drinking, smoking, on the phone etc. anything which can impede your driving.

Nonsense, smoking in your car is allowed in Thailand. As are drinking, eating etc.

...and shagging. That's OK too.

(just leave your shirt on)

Wish that the no smoking rule was enforced inside restaurants as well.

You can always place your order and ask to be served in your air conditioned, smoke-free car in the parking lot.

(or eat at any of the huge majority of dining places that do enforce the law on smoking indoors)

I got fined one day on my way back from Kanchanaburi for having too much money in my wallet.

At least that was my conclusion when he let me go on my merry way after the amount in my wallet was reduced by 300 baht. No receipt, BTW.

Negotiated down from 500, so unfortunately, I'm still unclear on how much I'm actually allowed to keep in my wallet while driving.

Rule number one: Never open your wallet in front of a cop..facepalm.gif