Quick question on Highways and motorbikes

Seismic

Are motorbikes OK on the chonburi-pattaya Highway??. I know from Chonburi to BKK is tollway and not allowed, but my wife seems to think that it is also not allowed on the chonburi-pattaya stretch.

regards

Fred

Beach route has Many Motorbikes going back and forth from each city..No problems

That wasn't the question. I am asking about the Chonburi-Pattaya Highway, as I will be bypassing Chonburi and Pattaya on the way to Rayong.

regards.

Fred

Fred,

OK as we speak but soon to be a motorway with fences and tolls. So then not allowed probably.

There is, or will be eventually , a full length service road. Today as we speak that is not bad either and can be quicker as i found out when i drove past an accident on the "main" road.

Fred,

OK as we speak but soon to be a motorway with fences and tolls. So then not allowed probably.

There is, or will be eventually , a full length service road. Today as we speak that is not bad either and can be quicker as i found out when i drove past an accident on the "main" road.

Thanks buddy, thats what I needed to know. I think the Wife heard about the upcoming changes also, but she is away for a couple of days right now.

cheers

Fred

Fred,

Thanks buddy, thats what I needed to know. I think the Wife heard about the upcoming changes also, but she is away for a couple of days right now.

cheers

Fred

Even though the fences are not yet up and tolls non operational, the signs forbidding bikes are already up. Thb 3,000 baht fine and/or 3 months imprisonment (how ridiculous is this).

Just as you hit the highway from Pattaya (Hwy 7) stay left and turn into the frontage road. This will take you all the way to Chonburi whereby you can join the Bang Na Trat Highway. Depending on what bike you ride, I would suggest the main road (under the elevated highway) rather than the frontage road. I've never been stopped, even though I've seen cop cars once or twice.

Then depending on where you want to go in Bangkok, I would recommend taking the Suvarnabhumi or Lat Krabang exit, even if you want to head into town. Avoid Sukhumvit at all costs due to the very bad traffic and narrow lanes

Fred,

cheers

Fred

Even though the fences are not yet up and tolls non operational, the signs forbidding bikes are already up. Thb 3,000 baht fine and/or 3 months imprisonment (how ridiculous is this).

Just as you hit the highway from Pattaya (Hwy 7) stay left and turn into the frontage road. This will take you all the way to Chonburi whereby you can join the Bang Na Trat Highway. Depending on what bike you ride, I would suggest the main road (under the elevated highway) rather than the frontage road. I've never been stopped, even though I've seen cop cars once or twice.

Then depending on where you want to go in Bangkok, I would recommend taking the Suvarnabhumi or Lat Krabang exit, even if you want to head into town. Avoid Sukhumvit at all costs due to the very bad traffic and narrow lanes

Please see the part I bolded and underlined - where exactly do you mean?

As you travel north from Pattaya on the 7 it looks like the frontage road stops well before the 36 junction (turn left for Regents) and I cannot work out how you would stay on it through the Lam Chabang part unless you have to go left towards LC and then U Turn to come north again?

As far as I am aware, you should not ride a bike on the M7 at all, whether on toll section or not. There are signs at the start of the Pattaya end which tell you this. However, many Thais use it .

You can still bypass Chonburi anyway using frontage roads etc

I bicycle regularly on that route 7,they have been building fences, toll collection booths are under construction, and signs have been put up about fines for 2-wheelers accessing the highway.2 weeks ago I was biking on 7 when I noticed the signs for the first time.When I also noticed there were hardly any motorbikes on the central lanes,towards Chonburi actually none at all any more,I quickly got off the central lanes onto the frontage road,as the absence of bikes seems to indicate that the police are enforcing the law here ,otherwise Thais would ignore it, but it is still physically possible to get on even for a bicycle,but why take the risk.

I got nailed for ฿1000 on my motorbike going Chonburi-Pattaya about a month ago. The answer is no, we can't use the highway. The Frontage Roads are ok until you get to the Pattaya/Rayong split. I take my chances on it, keeping eyes wide open for cops sitting on the side of the road. Last time I saw one there, I pulled off to the side until another bike went past. Cop pulled him over, I darted past.

Does this just concern smaller type scooter bikes up to a certain engine cc, and allow the bigger bikes for touring etc., or are all m/cycles barred?

ALL two-wheeled vehicles. I knew a guy had a beautiful Harley, he told me he wasn't allowed anywhere on the highways.

Fred,

cheers

Fred

Please see the part I bolded and underlined - where exactly do you mean?

As you travel north from Pattaya on the 7 it looks like the frontage road stops well before the 36 junction (turn left for Regents) and I cannot work out how you would stay on it through the Lam Chabang part unless you have to go left towards LC and then U Turn to come north again?

It's a bit hard to describe as I just checked Google maps and it's not updated yet. Basically, get onto the frontage road that is parallel to Hwy 7 as soon as possible. I don't think you will get stopped before this as firstly there are no signs that you can't be on this section of the road. This frontage road is now extended all the way till the Chonburi bypass (361) after which you can get onto Hwy 3 (Bang Na Chonburi)

The signs have been up for a long time. I use the Hwy 7, everyday several times between the Nongprue entrance/Exit to and from Sukhumvit. Once the toll plaza are operational that will be the end of the direct method. Thais in general aren't going to pay the toll if they find another alternatives and I have seen alternatives.

They should change that law and allow bigger bikes 250 cc and up on the highway-tollways! thumbsup.gif ting tong law

I found out last night, in Taiwan, bikes above 250cc are classified as automobiles and have a different colour license plate.

With this plate they can ride the motorways, expressways, flyovers and underpasses.

Wouldn't it be great if Thailand could follow their lead .. However, considering the speed and the driving behavior on the motorway I think 250 is still a little underpowered, I think it would be desirable to have a bike with bit of power should someone be approaching from behind at speed.

Thailand boast comparative international law so why not bring the bike usage laws up to the same standard as the rest of the world? Driving only on the left no access to bridges, tunnels, and motorway is stupid to say the least and dangerous. Driving only on the left dodging potholes, vehicle pulling out and turning in, Why? What's the logic of putting bikes in harms way. The safest place is as far away from danger as you can get (UK police advanced bike riders training) that means not staying on the far left but picking the safest position. Other countries bikes over 250 can go anywhere, and why not? Stupid archaic regulation from 50 years ago with no bearing on today.

Wouldn't it be great if Thailand could follow their lead .. However, considering the speed and the driving behavior on the motorway I think 250 is still a little underpowered, I think it would be desirable to have a bike with bit of power should someone be approaching from behind at speed.

I think it is the opposite of what they worry about here! Even a 250 should be able to do 140 kph while most of the traffic in Bangkok Urban expressways does about 90. So car drivers would be constantly be being passed by bikes. Inside, outside, between cars just like they do in slow traffic. Accident rates would escalate which then slows traffic not speeds it up!

I have read Alice in Wonderland but no it is not realistic

I got nailed for ฿1000 on my motorbike going Chonburi-Pattaya about a month ago. The answer is no, we can't use the highway. The Frontage Roads are ok until you get to the Pattaya/Rayong split. I take my chances on it, keeping eyes wide open for cops sitting on the side of the road. Last time I saw one there, I pulled off to the side until another bike went past. Cop pulled him over, I darted past.

What was the cop riding?

What was the cop riding?

In a car.

What was the cop riding?

In a car.

Should be easy to outrun on a supersport, thanks

What was the cop riding?

In a car.

I don't get it. So you are saying that to go from Chonburi to Pattaya, one has to either use the coastal road or leave the highway at the Rayong split?

They should change that law and allow bigger bikes 250 cc and up on the highway-tollways! thumbsup.gif ting tong law

I found out last night, in Taiwan, bikes above 250cc are classified as automobiles and have a different colour license plate.

With this plate they can ride the motorways, expressways, flyovers and underpasses.

You think -

"However, considering the speed and the driving behavior on the motorway I think 250 is still a little underpowered,

I think it would be desirable to have a bike with bit of power should someone be approaching from behind at speed."

I believe most new 250 cc bikes in TH would drive faster then most of the other cars, trucks ect.

Anyway, the World and EU with many Highways and Autobahn thinks -

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Regulation_of_motorcycle_access_on_freeways

Many countries and my home country Austria, believe,

more then 50 ccm and more then 60 km/h is fast enough to be enabled to drive the Highways, even in Malaysia so!

On all roads - Highways and Toll ways, similar to the for 2-wheelers forbidden Thai Highways,

Philippines and India, is with you 350 - 400 cc+ allowed!

Thailand stays with its law in the dark ages when they had no high powered motorbikes in the country, now they are even produced here!!!blink.png

Change the law Thailand!!! thumbsup.gif

yes, this is certainly a stupid law.

another question is what qualifies as a highway.

and finally - some areas are completely cordoned off by highways without intersection or tunnel/bridge, so in theory it would be impossible to get out of these areas without breaking the law.

Several Thai laws on motorcycles are simply ridiculous, and enforcement of other traffic laws is terrible, for example lane splitting by sidecars !!! <deleted>! Every time I see one of those blocking bike traffic I feel the urge to disintegrate his ridiculous contraption. grr.

You think -

"However, considering the speed and the driving behavior on the motorway I think 250 is still a little underpowered,

I think it would be desirable to have a bike with bit of power should someone be approaching from behind at speed."

I believe most new 250 cc bikes in TH would drive faster then most of the other cars, trucks ect.

more then 50 ccm and more then 60 km/h is fast enough to be enabled to drive the Highways, even in Malaysia so!

On all roads - Highways and Toll ways, similar to the for 2-wheelers forbidden Thai Highways,

Thailand stays with its law in the dark ages when they had no high powered motorbikes in the country, now they are even produced here!!!blink.png

Whatever .. It was just a casual thought to a hypothetical question ..

I just know that when using the Motorway in Thailand is like a pretty scary experience, not the average urban expressway at 90km.

A little more punch maybe desirable. Yes, a 250cc bike may achieve 140kmh but doesn't always have the power, not speed, to get you out of a situation.

Yes, I ride the Malaysian motorways frequently - there is a totally different mindset there, although a few cars drive at 150-200kmh, most will sit on the speed limit for fear of radar traps. There appears to be less cars driving at high speeds in the left hand lane which is for overtaking. Overtaking is done in a responsible manner as opposed Thailand I often see some clown sitting two foot from my back wheel, who then swings into the hard shoulder just to get in the reasonable gap between you and the car in front.

The keyword here is hypothetical .. It's just an opinion not a conviction or campaign. Jeez.

What was the cop riding?

Honda Accord or BMW 5 series! Probably.

I don't get it. So you are saying that to go from Chonburi to Pattaya, one has to either use the coastal road or leave the highway at the Rayong split?

I think the gist is: From the Chonburi bypass, use the frontage road from the end of the current motorway to the Rayong split, then take 36 divided hwy bit into Pattaya, via Ban Lamung.

Edited by VocalNeal

You think -

Whatever .. It was just a casual thought to a hypothetical question ..

I just know that when using the Motorway in Thailand is like a pretty scary experience, not the average urban expressway at 90km.

A little more punch maybe desirable. Yes, a 250cc bike may achieve 140kmh but doesn't always have the power, not speed, to get you out of a situation.

Yes, I ride the Malaysian motorways frequently - there is a totally different mindset there, although a few cars drive at 150-200kmh, most will sit on the speed limit for fear of radar traps. There appears to be less cars driving at high speeds in the left hand lane which is for overtaking. Overtaking is done in a responsible manner as opposed Thailand I often see some clown sitting two foot from my back wheel, who then swings into the hard shoulder just to get in the reasonable gap between you and the car in front.

The keyword here is hypothetical .. It's just an opinion not a conviction or campaign. Jeez.

-recom273-

For me,

there is not much difference, in the driving style of drivers, to drive on one of the Main Highways Bangkok-Phuket, Bangkok-Nong Khai

or on a for bikes of any kind forbidden Highway-Tollway around and in Bangkok.

These forbidden Highways are just more secure - no U-turns no to slow traffic - but forbidden in TH for all bikes, just crazy!

No campaign here, just your and my opinion is a bit different.

For me 250cc is enough, many countries see even much less enough, see my LINK above.

Even in Germany, where there are Highway parts where you have not even a Speed limit! wink.pngthumbsup.gif

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Speed_limits_by_country

Edited by ALFREDO