Legal numberplate placements ? (rear fender eliminator kits)

What's the law regarding numberplace placement and/or lighting ?

A lot of western countries require the following two conditions:

1. Numberplate must face more or less directly backward (plates facing almost straight up to the sun if mounted on top a "semi-fender eliminator kit", or as it is in case of full-fender-eliminator-kit facing straight down to the wheel. Don't satisfy this conditition. (something i see a lot of in Thailand).

2. Numberplate must be lit. (a lot of fender eliminator kits are not lit, at all).

I've been looking at the following kit, that totally breaks the 2 above contitions, is this gonna fly in the land of smiles ?

post-262187-0-47852300-1468251474_thumb.

I really like full-fender-eliminators the most, but if that's gonna be 1-2k THB per checkpoint i'd rather get a rear-mudguard-mounted one, these can be lit and face more or less directly backwards.

Thanks for all input smile.png

Reason i ask, recently (since The Army took over) they've been enforcing a lot of old laws and/or creating new ones. Which i think is a wonderful thing, but one example of a not so wonderful thing is, it's now illegal to have headlights that have any other color-tint than white, and rear lights any other color-tint than red. A lot of new vehicles come with a blue-ish-color-tint on their headlight-leds, which is now illegal.

Edited by KheeeeMotocyyyy

I don't think the police will be too bothered but why push it? Mount it up under a tail light, it looks better anyway IMO.

Thanks a lot for the suggestion, i assume you mean the "semi"-fender-eliminator-kit way ? Because if you didn't it would mean my number plate would face almost straight down under my tail lol. Picture below of the "semi way", which i assume is your suggestion ?

post-262187-0-17736300-1468253980_thumb.

Edited by KheeeeMotocyyyy

I bought an under tail style licence plate like in your photo. It came with 2 led blinkers and nice easy connect wiring. Think it cost me about 1900 baht delivered.

When it arrived i fitted it that night. Nice easy job and damn it looked good compared to the stock mount.

The next day i go for a ride less than 1km from home, get pulled into a police checkpoint and fined 200 baht. Im directed by the police officer to go to the station at the next intersection then come back to him and receive my license back.

So i do just that and ride back to him and i get pulled in by another policemen and he tries to fine me again but im waving the fine notice at him saying i got done already thanks.

Got my licence back, ride back home and throw the <deleted> thing in the bin.

Sent from my SM-G935F using Tapatalk

I've got an undermounted one on my GSXR, never had an issue with police but I haven't been stopped since I've had it, pretty sure I'd be fined if I was. I wasn't

too worried on this bike, it's had an aftermarket exhaust since I bought it so they could get me for that anyway.

Depend where you are riding really. Bangkok and Pattaya would be a bad idea but out in the sticks you'd probably be OK.

Not good in the rain, back gets covered in dirt but it's rare I ride in the rain anyway, got caught out just before the pic below was taken.

IMG_0334_zpsatybkaw6.jpg

The main reason i want to remove the original "anchor" except for looks, is due to the fact it fails to protect my back seat and my back from getting water and sand sprayed all over. Replacing that anchor with a mudguard (like Diavel) will keep my bike seat and my back nice and clean.

If the police only want's 200 baht, that ain't too bad. I'm more concerned if the vehicle-tax office will approve such a mod.

I see a lot of Thai's on small bikes like KSRs who seem to do the under-tail thing.

I haven't heard of many issues with this, aside from the comment a few posts above. I imagine it would always be one of those things which just may draw more attention to you, but can't see it as being a 'massive' issue - a small fine every once in a while...etc..

For reference, my old housemate drove around on his Ninja for almost a year I think with his correctly mounted numberplate '96'. He had quite a few Thai people telling him he should turn it upside down to look cool with '69' - he assumed. But actually he had been riding around with his numberplate upside down..... very funny I think. To someone who can't read Thai the lettering on the plate, it did work for me both ways lol. He rode that around Silom / Wireless road to commute everyday and never got pulled up by the police. So I am thinking that number plate issues, in general, are not so high on the priorities list for the police.

Pretty simple ...do it and accept that its easy tea money as and when for the bib. Same goes for a loud exhaust. Fines on the side of the road vary between 100 to 500 baht without a ticket of course and sometimes a grand with a ticket. Agreed it is not a top priority for the bib but some days can be your lucky day.

If it floats yer boat and happy with bib tea money then do it.

What part of Thailand are these laws getting enforced?

I drive all over central and eastern Thailand, phitsanulok / Phetchabun / KK / Ubon / buri ram / Korat etc, never been hassled about how the number plate is mounted.

Police at the check points up here are way cool, normally just want a look at the bikes, offer direction, suggest places to visit, I'd say 90% of the time they don't even ask to see license.

I see a lot of Thai's on small bikes like KSRs who seem to do the under-tail thing.

I haven't heard of many issues with this, aside from the comment a few posts above. I imagine it would always be one of those things which just may draw more attention to you, but can't see it as being a 'massive' issue - a small fine every once in a while...etc..

For reference, my old housemate drove around on his Ninja for almost a year I think with his correctly mounted numberplate '96'. He had quite a few Thai people telling him he should turn it upside down to look cool with '69' - he assumed. But actually he had been riding around with his numberplate upside down..... very funny I think. To someone who can't read Thai the lettering on the plate, it did work for me both ways lol. He rode that around Silom / Wireless road to commute everyday and never got pulled up by the police. So I am thinking that number plate issues, in general, are not so high on the priorities list for the police.

I must be getting old, but I think they look ugly stuck up under the mud guard. Often see some noisy ksr with the plate covered in crud. Great when he has occasion to 'flee the scene' of an accident. NOT.

I must be getting old, but I think they look ugly stuck up under the mud guard. Often see some noisy ksr with the plate covered in crud. Great when he has occasion to 'flee the scene' of an accident. NOT.

I agree they look ugly there. But at least less ugly than attaching half an anchor from a boat onto a sportsbike, which is essentially what governments told track-bike producers to do when they wanted to make their track-bikes street legal. MV-Agustas nakeds and Ducati Diavel license-plate holders at the rear-mudguard do look a lot better than the "KSR-gang method", which is also very close to what we see on bikes that were originally designed for street and nothing more (cruisers), a full rear mud-guard and attached to it license-plate holder and turn signals. But i firgured i'd join the KSR-gang for now, their method allows for better airflow, and less weight at the end of the rear-wheel. So far all i got from the police was thumbs up whenever i pass them.

I think they look better than the huge mudguards overhanging the rear of the bike.

Plus it's more efficient in terms of reduced weight and removing what is effectively a small sail from the back of the bike.