Phnom Penh or Ho Chi Minh for SETV

A couple of questions for clarification

Having read that I must have a confirmed flight out of Thailand to get a SETV at HCM, is it the same at PP?

I plan to spend a week in PP then bus to HCM for a week or so and fly into Thailand from there.

If I get my SETV in PP and delay going into Thailand by let's say 2 weeks will it affect the ability to extend it to get the full 90 days.

Does the 60 days start from when I first enter or from when it's first issued?

I've previously had the old triple entry but delayed first entry for a few weeks and was slightly caught out by the old enter before date on the final entry.

Thanks

Sent from my Redmi Note 2 using Tapatalk

Some recent posts state PP is asking for a ticket out also but it seems to depend upon the agent you use.

The 3 month validly to use the visa starts from the date of issue. The 60 day entry starts on the date you enter the country.

Some recent posts state PP is asking for a ticket out also but it seems to depend upon the agent you use.

The 3 month validly to use the visa starts from the date of issue. The 60 day entry starts on the date you enter the country.

So I can delay entry by 2 weeks, get the 60 days and then extend that by 30 days to the full 90 before having to get another. ?

So I can delay entry by 2 weeks, get the 60 days and then extend that by 30 days to the full 90 before having to get another. ?

So I can delay entry by 2 weeks, get the 60 days and then extend that by 30 days to the full 90 before having to get another. ? - yes, you could delay by 4 weeks if required.

The agent ive used in PP arranged a flight ticket/booking to show the embassy for me - I think most agents will do the same.

Ive never applied for a SETV from HCMC, but many reports say then can be very fussy.

Yes you can.

The visa will be valid for 3 months from the issue date. That means you can make your 1 entry anytime during that 3 months. Even if you delayed your entry to the last day you would be granted permission to stay for 60 days. That permission to stay can be extended by 30 days.

• Like 1

Yes you can.

The visa will be valid for 3 months from the issue date. That means you can make your 1 entry anytime during that 3 months. Even if you delayed your entry to the last day you would be granted permission to stay for 60 days. That permission to stay can be extended by 30 days.

Brilliant thanks.

Will they accept a UK bank statement? I don't have my thai bank passbook with me & their atmosphere cards don't work abroad.

I have online Bangkok banking and could do a print out, I suppose.

It is in Ho Chi Min. Do not accept cash. Tried last week. I even had 1500 dollars but not accepted.

Strangely they accepted a text message from my bank showing 23,000 baht in it.

They need something they can photocopy for their records. They are friendly, but very serious about covering themselves if anyone ever questions why you were given a visa.

• Like 1

It is in Ho Chi Min. Do not accept cash. Tried last week. I even had 1500 dollars but not accepted.

Strangely they accepted a text message from my bank showing 23,000 baht in it.

------------------

Ho Chi Minh will not accept Vietnamese Dong in payment for a visa.

They want you to pay in U.S. dollars.

There is an Air Vietnam office across the street from the Thai consulate that will take Dong and give you Dollars, but you will get a lousy rate there.

Better to get your Dollars at the airport on arrival in Ho Chi Minh or exchange at a money changer so you have $40 when you arrive at the consulate.

As I said before, I brought a Bangkok Bank account passbook with me.

That was accepted as proof of funds to live in Bangkok.

They photocopied the page of my bankbook, and they submitted that copy with my application.

They do want some kind of confirmed ticket out of Thailand.....I suppose they might accept a bus or train ticket for that to Cambodia or Malaysia.

• Like 1

• 3 weeks later...

Further advise please.
I've just arrived in PP to get a visa.
I planned to her a visa here, travel by bus to HCMC for a few days then fly into BKK from there.
I'm being advised if I get a visa in Cambodia I cannot go to HCMC and fly from there.

Part of the visa application will include a flight ticket from HCMC to BKK.

Is this correct?

Sent from my mobile, please forgive the autocorrect.

2 hours ago, Nick ZepTepi said:

Further advise please.
I've just arrived in PP to get a visa.
I planned to her a visa here, travel by bus to HCMC for a few days then fly into BKK from there.
I'm being advised if I get a visa in Cambodia I cannot go to HCMC and fly from there.

Part of the visa application will include a flight ticket from HCMC to BKK.

I have seen reports that some agents in Phnom Penh asked for a ticket OUT of Thailand, to provide with an application for a Single-Entry Tourist Visa.  Is an agent, or the consulate in Phnom Penh (if you are applying directly), requesting an incoming-ticket to Thailand to apply?

Edited by JackThompson
clarification of consulate location

1 hour ago, littlejssn said:

Hi, I'm in Ho Chi Minh and I the consulate said I need a ticket out of Thailand in order to get a visa. Is there a way around this? Which agent should I use if so?

Why not just buy a disposable ticket to somewhere like Penang for 2,000 baht or so? 

As i said I know from expeience that Ho Chi Minh wants to se an exit ticket from Thailand to issue a single entry tourist visa.

They will ask you when you apply to see your exit ticket from Thailand.

If you can't show one, you wont get  visa.

You can buy a cheai Aiir Asia throw away ticket from Bangkok to KL or something similar but Ho Chi minh will want to see a confirmed ticket on some means out of Thailand. A bus ticket or train ticket might be approved.

But will insist on some kind of confirmed icket

3 hours ago, littlejssn said:

Hi, I'm in Ho Chi Minh and I the consulate said I need a ticket out of Thailand in order to get a visa. Is there a way around this? Which agent should I use if so?

I do not know if this is still true but, early this year, they would waive the exit ticket from Thailand if you provided copies of bank statements showing significant funds. I am not sure if they allowed this option for all nationalities. If you have recent bank statements handy, write up on a separate piece of paper that your plans after Thailand are still unclear, and ask them if you can do it this way.

Overall, HCMC and Hanoi seem to have become steadily stricter over the last couple of years.

BrtTim you seem to have some experience with HCMC so in your experience is it one or both that is normally being looked for namely proof of funds (bank book/statement) along with a ticket out of the country?

5 hours ago, bkkcanuck8 said:

Why not just buy a disposable ticket to somewhere like Penang for 2,000 baht or so? 

Frankly I'm a little afraid I'll be denied entry and then I'll have spent $200 on tickets that I can't use. I already have several Thai visas on my passport.

3 hours ago, gilo said:

BrtTim you seem to have some experience with HCMC so in your experience is it one or both that is normally being looked for namely proof of funds (bank book/statement) along with a ticket out of the country?

The last time I did it, less than a year ago, the preference was a ticket out of Thailand. However, copies of bank statements were an acceptable alternative for a UK passport holder. Whether this is still true, and whether all nationalities are given this option, I cannot say.

• Like 1

8 hours ago, littlejssn said:

Frankly I'm a little afraid I'll be denied entry and then I'll have spent $200 on tickets that I can't use. I already have several Thai visas on my passport.

No need for $200 in tickets. All you need is a one way ticket from Thailand to anywhere and those can be found that cost 1000 baht or a bit more. Check for flights from different airports to nearby by countries. 

The chances of being denied entry are almost none if you have a valid visa for entry.

17 hours ago, ubonjoe said:

No need for $200 in tickets. All you need is a one way ticket from Thailand to anywhere and those can be found that cost 1000 baht or a bit more. Check for flights from different airports to nearby by countries. 

The chances of being denied entry are almost none if you have a valid visa for entry.

I meant denied a visa in the first place. I already have several Thai visas in my passport, so I'm afraid I'll buy the plane ticket in and out per their request and they won't approve me for the visa.

21 hours ago, littlejssn said:

I have five thai visas in my passport so far, would that be a problem in PP?

The last reports indicate that the Thai embassy in Phnom Penh is only counting visas issued by their office (limit 3 per passport) - and not counting visas from other consulates in other countries. 

This has changed before, and might change again.  If one agent gives you the run-around, try another. 

Latest reports also indicate one may be asked to show proof of money in the bank (20K Baht) and/or a flight out of Thailand within 60-days of entry - but this seems to vary by the agent.  Perhaps some agents have a better rapport/relationship/arrangement with the consulate than others.

Edited by JackThompson
specificity

Glad to report I got a visa via a agent on the riverfront close to street 178.
Only a UK recent bank statement needed, (with enough money) no ticket in or out.

But they were mostly concerned about how many previous visas I had. Only 1 from London, old style triple entry.

Sent from my mobile, please forgive the autocorrect.

• Like 1