Dr Wisanu outlines what needs to be done if draft charter fails in referendum

webfact

Dr Wisanu outlines what needs to be done if draft charter fails in referendum

1307001-wpcf_728x410.jpg

BANGKOK: -- To avoid a political stalemate in case the draft constitution fails in the referendum, Deputy Prime Minister Wisanu Krea-ngam made some suggestions of what needs to be done before the referendum.

He explained that the current interim charter does not carry any provision stating about what should be done if the draft charter crafted by the Constitution Drafting Committee headed by Mr Meechai Ruchuphan fails to be approved in the referendum on August 7 although the interim charter stipulates clearly that if the first draft drawn by the CDC led by Dr Bovornsak Uwanno fails to get the approval of the National Legislative Assembly, a new CDC should be formed to do the drafting of a new charter.

Dr Wisanu said the interim charter should be amended before the referendum to specify clearly who should be responsible to craft a new draft or whether one of the previous charters is to be dusted off for use; and if a new draft is to be crafted, how long it will take for its completion to find out whether it will correspond with the political roadmap. Then, whether there will be another referendum to endorse the new draft.

Personally, he said he believes there will not be another referendum.

For the time being, the deputy prime minister maintained that the political roadmap remains unchanged with an election due in the middle of next year. But he said that there might be some unpredictable factors which might force the postponement of the roadmap.

He pointed out that Prime Minister Prayut Chan-ocha had not thought about amending the interim charter which is still a problem of the future.

Source: http://englishnews.thaipbs.or.th/dr-wisanu-outlines-needs-done-draft-charter-fails-referendum/

thaipbs_logo.jpg
-- Thai PBS 2016-07-14

IF the referendum fails, do they really believe it will ?

I'm sure there are contingency plans but most likely nothing to do with amendments etc more likely about increased control, all in the interests of the stability and security naturally.

Why bother with all this nonsense, everyone knows who the provisions of the charter are aimed at. Instead of all this convoluted crap, may I humbly suggest that they say exactly what they want to accomplish. The 1997 constitution with the stipulation that no relative, associate or proxy of Thaksin Shinawatra may run for office. No amendments allowed, done and dusted.

Comedy. These guys all should be jailed for life. there has been a lot more tidbits coming out on the referendum than have shown up here on TV. The regime raided Prachatai newspaper offices to 'search' for anti-referendum stuff which of course it did not find. Just more harassment of journalists and fear by the regime. There also appears to be a 5-year jail term for anyone taking selfies while voting. That story needs some clarification. So far I haven't seen either of these mentioned here.

Testing the water for yet another "postponement of the roadmap".

Junta speak for elections, well we have postpone them until we force you to accept the draft we want.

Now the question remains, how many times do they think they can get away with it? And how many times until the junta fan club will get it?

The only contension is the senate which (for now) I believe is necessarry to keep any future elected government honest and stop them from going rogue, future elected governments must act for Thailand and its people and not for themselves, if they cannot do that by themselves as we have seen many times in the past then they must be forced too act properly

This is all a bit of a worry...

...the current interim charter does not carry any provision stating about what should be done if the draft charter crafted by the Constitution Drafting Committee headed by Mr Meechai Ruchuphan fails to be approved in the referendum...

They haven't thought about what they might do if the referendum fails to pass. Okay.

Personally, he said he believes there will not be another referendum.

But of course that's a personal belief, completely unprompted by any discussions with anyone.

For the time being, the deputy prime minister maintained that the political roadmap remains unchanged

Yes, the bit about "for the time being…" Illustrate what I believe is the certainty that there isn't going to be an election next year. What a surprise. That comes as a complete shock.

He pointed out that Prime Minister Prayut Chan-ocha had not thought about amending the interim charter which is still a problem of the future.

Let me get this right. The Prime Minister of Thailand, albeit self-appointed, has not given any thought at all to what happens if the referendum does not pass. Did I get that right? There's nothing like a competent government being prepared. And this is nothing like a competent government being prepared.

It's almost a dream-world isn't it? I keep expecting to see Peter Pan and Tinkerbell flying in through the window.

Winnie

Edited by Winniedapu

The only contension is the senate which (for now) I believe is necessarry to keep any future elected government honest and stop them from going rogue, future elected governments must act for Thailand and its people and not for themselves, if they cannot do that by themselves as we have seen many times in the past then they must be forced too act properly

You mean instead of the many successful Coups and military interventions?cheesy.gif

The senate ruled by military and Police is not a democracy especially as both the military and police are highly corrupted...but you know that already.

Do you actually believe what you write down at times? don't answer, it's a rhetorical question.

This Government, and make no mistakes at all, will be the next one, by hook or by crook, are actually the least honest of them all.

Zero accountability

Zero transparency

Zero checks and balances

oppression and intimidation of any opposition

they very much have a "do as I say" not "do as I do" approach.

Have you listened to yourself and your justifications for military coups? ...."They must be forced to act properly" ......what complete and utter contempt you have towards Thai's.

They tried to act properly, by calling elections, which your whistle blowing heroes stopped from happening, and from which your spineless opposition refused to participate.

The people decide politicians and Governments fate, not the Army!!!!

The problem with people like you is that you just can't get your head around the fact that many people within this country, simply don't care for the democrats, or the junta, and they have their own people to support and follow, and they're not exactly everyone's cup of tea either.

I wonder if you can enlighten us all to the 14 principles/foundations of democracy that Djjamie used to constantly flout ? and then explain how the Junta are following the same foundations, because right now, and any future Junta backed Government are. as much as it galls a lot of you sycophants, exactly like the lot they over threw!.

Do you know how the Senators get elected?

Actually they are NOT elected but handpicked by the present Military Regime. Yes, that's the same guys who bought the GT 200 and the blimp and and and (microphones TVs etc)

And they are a guarantee for an honest government?

Actually they are NOT elected but handpicked by the present Military Regime. Yes, that's the same guys who bought the GT 200 and the blimp and and and (microphones TVs etc)

The bit you are missing, the senate doesn't legislate, they approve or reject motions from the lower house i.e. the elected government, I have absolutly no problem having a senate policing the government, if the government behaves and actually acts like a government with their interests firmly with the country and people and not for themselves then it gets a thumbs up from me

The government is the executive branch of a democracy. As the word suggests, it "executes" the laws made by the Legislative branch, which comprises the representatives and the Senators, both elected by they people. OK, that is how it's done in a real democracy, not a military regime.

What we see here is a mix insofar as the one part of the Legislative is appointed by the executive. A very serious breach of the principle of separation of powers.

Edited by dominique355

The bit you are missing, the senate doesn't legislate, they approve or reject motions from the lower house i.e. the elected government, I have absolutly no problem having a senate policing the government, if the government behaves and actually acts like a government with their interests firmly with the country and people and not for themselves then it gets a thumbs up from me

"The bit you are missing, the senate doesn't legislate, they approve or reject motions from the lower house i.e. the elected government...."

Yes, so an unelected body appointed by the less than believable military controls the elected government. Doesn't matter if they can't legislate. You do see that, right?

" I have absolutly no problem having a senate policing the government..."

Yes, you have made that abundantly clear. I have a strong feeling the majority of Thais disagree with you. But that doesn't matter, does it!

"... if the government behaves and actually acts like a government with their interests firmly with the country and people and not for themselves then it gets a thumbs up from me"

So you have such faith in the military that you are for a system where they control everything the elected government does? Tell me, which of the 19 coups and attempted coups convinced you that a junta is the right thing for the country??crazy.gif

"The bit you are missing, the senate doesn't legislate, they approve or reject motions from the lower house i.e. the elected government...."

Yes, so an unelected body appointed by the less than believable military controls the elected government. Doesn't matter if they can't legislate. You do see that, right?

Yes, you have made that abundantly clear. I have a strong feeling the majority of Thais disagree with you. But that doesn't matter, does it!

"... if the government behaves and actually acts like a government with their interests firmly with the country and people and not for themselves then it gets a thumbs up from me"

So you have such faith in the military that you are for a system where they control everything the elected government does? Tell me, which of the 19 coups and attempted coups convinced you that a junta is the right thing for the country??crazy.gif

the senate does "not" control the government as you wrongly suggest, they will however scrutinise and block any amnesty nonsense that a convicted criminal on the run will try to push through the house at any cost

The elected government will be free to properly and honestly govern the country - and that is what they will be forced to do, probably for the first time in Thai history

the senate does "not" control the government as you wrongly suggest, they will however scrutinise and block any amnesty nonsense that a convicted criminal on the run will try to push through the house at any cost

The elected government will be free to properly and honestly govern the country - and that is what they will be forced to do, probably for the first time in Thai history

"the senate does "not" control the government as you wrongly suggest, they will however scrutinise and block any amnesty nonsense that a convicted criminal on the run will try to push through the house at any cost"

They can block anything that comes from the government so of course they control it. Claiming otherwise is just silly. And here you go again, bleating about the attempted amnesty of the elected government. Tell me, who can block amnesties given by the junta to themselves?? Or is it only amnesties attempted by elected governments that need to be blocked???

"The elected government will be free to properly and honestly govern the country..."

No. they won't. They will not be free to do anything without the consent of the old elite.

Again:

So you have such faith in the military that you are for a system where they control everything the elected government does? Tell me, which of the 19 coups and attempted coups convinced you that a junta is the right thing for the country??

No answer? <deleted>

Edited by CharlieH
remark removed.

an elected senate doesn't work in Thailand because like eveything else they are bought and paid for

And senior Military and Police and the judiciary are not ? whistling.gif

It's only your opinion that it doesn't work, the Thais seemed to view things very differently.

Edited by Holy Cinema

You "conveniently" forget the second question in the referendum, whereby the NON-elected senate will the determining factor when selecting the PM (the Government), unless, of course, any one party can win about 475/500 seats in a watered down MMA style election. SO, the senate DOES control the government...

But don't let facts get in the way of unwavering junta hugging.

are the insults and flames really necessary to get your points across, all it does is degrade the discussion and your inputs

He's clearly read some of your posts before Smedders. Time to practice what you preach. Manners beget manners. Slaggings-off beget slaggings-off. It's a bit like karma, but faster.

Winnie

Edited by Winniedapu

Well no, they will have power to select a prime minister if they feel the lower house cannot choose "the right one ".there is also a 20 year plan for reform the next government must follow, even if it's not part of their policies.