Big Fat And Slow

Nikkijah

This is another snake from my personal collection, I keep finding new ones scattered around the garden, bear in mind I live in central Bangkok so it's quite shocking to find so many different snakes in only 3 Rai of land. This snake is by far the biggest I've seen here, my partner claims to have seen an even fatter one but she says todays snake is not the same :D how many different species are living in our garden??

Spotted so far: Whip snake, Krait, an orange, black and white snake which got away before I could take a pic - it looked like it had a head at both ends of its body! - we've also had a Malaysian viper recently :D

This particular sausage was about 150cm long and about 20cm in diameter - A real fat snake!

I've had a look on the net for a similar snake but all I can find with similar markings is a python, although the markings on this one are quite faint and not as triangular as the pythons... Having said that, I've just had another look on google images and todays snake seems to have similar markings to the cobras in the snake farm, but not the same head :o

Any help would be appreciated... I know there's a few of you who are quite clued up on this :D

mystery_snake1.jpg

mystery_snake2.jpg

mystery_snake3.jpg

I guess you don't have a problem with mice or rats. :D

When do you open the wild life sanctury?

We do actually, the rats love my bread :D

let the snake alive and it takes care of the rats.

I never kill any of the snakes I find h90 :D I just make sure they move away, not much else I can do really :o

That looks more like a python than a cobra...... have you witnessed it kill?

It does, you're right Thaddeus, it's just the pattern on the snakes back is very much like a cobras, the head is far too big for it to be cobra anyway

I haven't witnessed it kill no, it didn't look hungry(or aggressive) in the slightest, it just stayed still for a few mins then sloped off into the bushes...

:o

10.jpg

Ouch..... but is this a serious thread.... I do have a serious side, despite all pointers to the contrary.

Pythons are usually only 'twitchy' when they are hungry.... Cobras are dangerous all the time, as are vipers, krites and asps.

Do you know what you are doing?

I wouldn't be that confident myself.

:D

10.jpg

Ouch..... but is this a serious thread.... I do have a serious side, despite all pointers to the contrary.

Pythons are usually only 'twitchy' when they are hungry.... Cobras are dangerous all the time, as are vipers, krites and asps.

Do you know what you are doing?

I wouldn't be that confident myself.

Erm... I'm fairly confident, I don't get close enough to these snakes for them to bite me, or at least I think I don't, I try to imagine how far they could lunge even if they threw themselves at me and I give them an extra foot on top of that :D

The closest I get is when I've got my camera raised and from what I've experienced the snakes tend to go for the camera automatically - thats my shield :o

I don't have any fear of these snakes, I know that I'm only 5 mins from a hospital in case of an emergency, that may sound silly but I'm fascinated by them and love taking photos of them!

:o

10.jpg

where did you get that shot?

www.duiops.net

it's ok to post it here isn't it?

yes its of course it's ok, curiosity strikes, what a painfull experience that guy is gonna have

:D

sure, looks like he's half smiling(half wincing) though!

Edited by Nikkijah

I think it's a kind of water snake though looks a bit big. Is there a river/pond nearby?

Yes there is, we live in an old palm plantation so most of our land is actually canals, added to that the fact that we live next to the river which our land leads right on to...

Homalopsis buccata

Puff Faced Water Snake

Pics

Pics

It says they dull to a brown/grey with less distinctive bands as they mature.

maybe...? :o

Looks like the right kind of markings, closer than any pic I've come across yet, and as you say they darken with maturity, my pic makes this snake look pretty big but in reality it isn't that big - imagine 150cms long - not too big I don't think, I would love to see one in mid-life to see all of those colours though, it looks stunning

puff-faced-water-snake-0029.jpg

puff-faced-water-snake-0035.jpg

I've just read that the maximum size for this snake is 120cms :D I'm confident that the snake in my garden was quite a lot longer than that...

Edited by Nikkijah

..... I keep finding new ones scattered around the garden, bear in mind I live in central Bangkok so it's quite shocking to find so many different snakes in only 3 Rai of land.

:D sorry to ask, but do you live in Central Bangkok on 3 Rai of land :o .....and you're complaining about a few snakes...? :D

LaoPo

Edited by LaoPo

If I remember correctly from biology class, most venomous snakes have elliptical (cat like) shaped pupils, whereas non-venomous snakes have round pupils...though I wouldn't get close enough to check. I think you can also tell some venomous snakes by the shape of the head (triangular), though that is not a defining characteristic.