Boris Johnson shrugs off Europe’s shock at top diplomatic job

webfact

Is it me but I feel like the attitude towards Britain leaving the EU many be changing.

yes there is still fear and uncertainty but that will pass and as it does I think people are actually looking at Britain saying we want out and thinking,, "good idea".

If Britain can hold it's nerve and ride these waves for a while I can see a bright future for a Britain that retains its right to trade in the free market, maintains some EU legislation however it frees itself from the EU governing its laws.

I can actually see this becoming the unravelling of the EU itself if Britain succeed, and I am sure that they will.

And when they succeed this will be a bad day for the EU..

Yes there is a change and besides Nigel Farage who really has done more than anyone in getting the UK out of the EU Boris was the official leave boss who consistently said, don't panic, it will be alright. We will be OK and he was right.

I am in agreement with you, except I do not like Farage at all, glad he is not on the scene anymore.

Anyway, lets see how it all starts to pan out. Might be a bumpy ride but if it starts to look ok for Britain (which i suspect it will) I am waiting for the next EU member country to say "I'm jumping ship"

• Replies 101
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Wonderful Boris! To have the level of criticism and vitriol leveled at one, particularly when it comes from France and Germany, one should wear that with a badge of distinction.

You are spot on. It is really Germany and France that wants a United Europe.

Oh, how true.

France needs the EU to survive.

Germany needs the EU for "Lebensraum"....

Where did I read that before?

As a Dutchman I certainly do not want to live in a country governed by an undemocratic EU monopolised by Germany, with the help of France.

The EEC, good, the EU, bad!

Well, when the EU falls apart Germany and France can always unite, they can call their country Framany, or Germance.. giggle.gif

And if German culture starts to penetrate France the French will still run away but this time in nice vehicles with real pride... (just kidding)

Clever move by May, having the brexiters doing the brexiting. Despite many thinking he's a bumbling buffoon, he's very switched on and a shrewd operator. He's also a good salesmen and will either have folk on their toes or eating out of his hand.

May is just hedging her bets. By putting Boris, Davis and Fox in charge of the Brexit team she is saying " go and do what you have been promising during the campaign ". If they succeed great y the fail as I suppose they will then she can say she gave them a chance and tell the people that a soft Brexit is the best option. All bases covered.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Fair assumption, except that they will fail. i dont think they or Britain will fail striking a deal, neither side can afford for that to happen. The EU can play the big, hard stance as much as they want, fact is the EU is going to be considerably weaker so they at least must have Britain in a free trade agreement. if they are stupid enough to push them out or try to it will backfire from within, if they do a deal and Britain turn out ok it may motivate others to leave,, Britain has a good chance of succeeding, the EU has a no win situation in my book if it doesn't do a deal.

I think it depends on whether another EU country needs to be bailed out by the paying members, and whether another country is forced into a leave/stay referendum.

Which is why Davis' plan to leave invoking article 50 until the end of the year makes sense to me. Plus, of course, the markets will be used to the idea of the UK leaving the EU by then - so should be stabilised as its what they are expecting.

Clever move by May, having the brexiters doing the brexiting. Despite many thinking he's a bumbling buffoon, he's very switched on and a shrewd operator. He's also a good salesmen and will either have folk on their toes or eating out of his hand.

May is just hedging her bets. By putting Boris, Davis and Fox in charge of the Brexit team she is saying " go and do what you have been promising during the campaign ". If they succeed great y the fail as I suppose they will then she can say she gave them a chance and tell the people that a soft Brexit is the best option. All bases covered.

Fair assumption, except that they will fail. i dont think they or Britain will fail striking a deal, neither side can afford for that to happen. The EU can play the big, hard stance as much as they want, fact is the EU is going to be considerably weaker so they at least must have Britain in a free trade agreement. if they are stupid enough to push them out or try to it will backfire from within, if they do a deal and Britain turn out ok it may motivate others to leave,, Britain has a good chance of succeeding, the EU has a no win situation in my book if it doesn't do a deal.

I agree there will be a deal but it won't be a hard Brexit. I don't agree with the assumption that the EU needs the UK more than the UK needs the EU or vice versa. They need each other mutually. When May says "Brexit means Brexit" what does that mean anyway? Brexit was never defined in detail during the campaign and can be sold in many ways.

A fair deal is under WTO rules which is what you would have with no deal. I think there will be a "better" deal than WTO rules... a free-trade agreement ... but it will not give you the same access that you have now, which means economic restructuring. Britain will be offered the best deal that the EU has or will offer a non-EU country, which is more than fair in such a short period of time.... but it will still fall significantly short in many areas that will make manufacturing for the EU market still fairly complex. For example on the manufacturing side you would have to deal with parts and rules of origin since they are not being imported into the EU first under EU rules. It is also unlikely that Britain's financial institutions will be treated as domestic institutions. Then you have the complexity created by VAT which Britain will have to credit back on inputs and export products and then added back in on import into the EU.

I would not be surprised if there is a certain threshold that the brexit negotiation team must meet or the deal goes to another referendum.... which should be more than enough incentive on the team of true believers to negotiate for the best deal. Politically this provides cover for May, she has whole-heartedly embraced brexit, appointed brexit people for negotiations -- transferring all the political risk back to that group. No one can blame her directly of sabotaging the negotiations, while still being able to play the middle and pick the winning political side down the road.... the moves of a master politician.

The Clarkson of politics. Welcome to the 'no-one likes us, we don't care' era of British history.

There's no doubt that those in charge of the EU are extremely pissed off that the UK voted to leave the union.

The question is, what can they do about it bearing in mind 1) many EU companies want to trade with the UK and 2) there is more than one country in the EU that is looking as if it will need to be being bailed out.

The paying countries will not be happy at having to pay more to not only replace UK income, but also to bail out new failing countries.

The Clarkson of politics. Welcome to the 'no-one likes us, we don't care' era of British history.

There's no doubt that those in charge of the EU are extremely pissed off that the UK voted to leave the union.

The question is, what can they do about it bearing in mind 1) many EU companies want to trade with the UK and 2) there is more than one country in the EU that is looking as if it will need to be being bailed out.

The paying countries will not be happy at having to pay more to not only replace UK income, but also to bail out new failing countries.

only 1 thing they can do, reform.

They should do what Britain and other countries have been trying to get them to do for a long time, less intervention in local affairs and more unity on EU and Global trade.

If EU member states feel they are losing control of running their own countries (as they do) they will eventually bail out, I think Britain has the limelight because it is simply the first.

As I said all along rather then the focus being on Britain wanting to leave the focus should be on why the EU got itself into a position where the number 2 EU economy wanted to leave. Only when they start to answer that question properly and effect reforms that benefit all member states will they be able to save the EU from what I feel is an inevitable collapse.

I think it's too early in the negotiations to know how much the UK will be paying after the deal is done. The single market won't be free. It will obviously be less to show that " we are not paying 350 million that is going to the NHS" but it won't be cheap.

A fair deal is under WTO rules which is what you would have with no deal. I think there will be a "better" deal than WTO rules... a free-trade agreement ... but it will not give you the same access that you have now, which means economic restructuring. Britain will be offered the best deal that the EU has or will offer a non-EU country, which is more than fair in such a short period of time.... but it will still fall significantly short in many areas that will make manufacturing for the EU market still fairly complex. For example on the manufacturing side you would have to deal with parts and rules of origin since they are not being imported into the EU first under EU rules. It is also unlikely that Britain's financial institutions will be treated as domestic institutions. Then you have the complexity created by VAT which Britain will have to credit back on inputs and export products and then added back in on import into the EU.

I would not be surprised if there is a certain threshold that the brexit negotiation team must meet or the deal goes to another referendum.... which should be more than enough incentive on the team of true believers to negotiate for the best deal. Politically this provides cover for May, she has whole-heartedly embraced brexit, appointed brexit people for negotiations -- transferring all the political risk back to that group. No one can blame her directly of sabotaging the negotiations, while still being able to play the middle and pick the winning political side down the road.... the moves of a master politician.

I do not worry about the details of taxation and import duty on materials. This is something that can be agreed pretty easily and for the benefit of all countries.

For May I agree as long as she is not playing politics for politics sake. She has to get behind and 100% support the team in striking the best deal possible and take full responsibility for that as a leader. It will need strong leadership to make it happen. If she just sits in her chair and says "lets see what these Brexit supporters do now" she is effectively encouraging it to fail. People are not that stupid, she has to be seen to taking the reigns and respecting the countries choice and not leaning towards her original stance on a "stay vote,, that time has passed,,, either she leads or she fails.

There won't be another referendum, it is done. What would the referendum be for? To get the vote of stay for the people who are nervous? And what if the vote comes back leave again,, will we have another and another until the right result comes up for the current PM?

No, at this point the goal has to be plan to leave, simple as that, the referendum is done and the leader of the country must drive and lead that forward creating the best deals and creating the right opportunities for the country.

I think it's too early in the negotiations to know how much the UK will be paying after the deal is done. The single market won't be free. It will obviously be less to show that " we are not paying 350 million that is going to the NHS" but it won't be cheap.

It won't cost the UK anything, once they are out they do not contribute to the EU anymore. The price Britain pays will be in accepting the free movement, but we need that anyway in order to trade across the EU. And anyone who thought it through knew Britain would have to accept some EU policy to access the free market, this would include freedom of movement for sure.

Everyone knows the EU contribution was actually a nett of around 8.5 billion,, in UK GDP terms its is chump change compared to the trade gained in the free market.

The money paid into the EU was never a real issue for people who really thought about it. The real issue for the people who voted leave (and were not just suckered by the "immigration" nonsense which is not an EU created problem anyway) is the loss of control of laws and governance. This is why Britain wanted out, it did not want to become part of a federal state.

I agree there will be a deal but it won't be a hard Brexit. I don't agree with the assumption that the EU needs the UK more than the UK needs the EU or vice versa. They need each other mutually. When May says "Brexit means Brexit" what does that mean anyway? Brexit was never defined in detail during the campaign and can be sold in many ways.

Brexit is Britain exiting the EU membership, hence Brexit. Pretty clearly defined in my book. The referendum was that simple "leave or stay". What else could it possibly mean.

I see that some are still pinning their hopes on a second referendum,

The noise's so far coming out of whitehall seem to say this is a pipe dream,

There has been no mention of putting the results of negotiations to a second referendum, and nor should they.

Brexit is Britain exiting the EU membership, hence he . Pretty clearly defined in my book. The referendum was that simple "leave or stay". What else could it possibly mean.

It could mean staying in the Single market or not it could mean accepting free labour movement or restricted or total control or borders. The parameters were never set.

It won't cost the UK anything, once they are out they do not contribute to the EU anymore. The price Britain pays will be in accepting the free movement, but we need that anyway in order to trade across the EU. And anyone who thought it through knew Britain would have to accept some EU policy to access the free market, this would include freedom of movement for sure.

Everyone knows the EU contribution was actually a nett of around 8.5 billion,, in UK GDP terms its is chump change compared to the trade gained in the free market.

The money paid into the EU was never a real issue for people who really thought about it. The real issue for the people who voted leave (and were not just suckered by the "immigration" nonsense which is not an EU created problem anyway) is the loss of control of laws and governance. This is why Britain wanted out, it did not want to become part of a federal state.

You really think that the EU is going to give access to the single market without a financial contribution? Ask the Swiss how that worked out for them

So many people are going to be disappointed when they realise what brexit is really going to look like. It's not going to be what they thought they were voting for.

I will have a go. Access to the single market, in the end business interests will prevail and the Conservatives are not stupid and they know who their backers are. For this Britain will contribute cash, not what it paid before but it will pay. I think concessions will be made in movement of labour. I.e. A job offer before entering the country or something similar so that both sides look good. Politically is where I see the biggest Brexit and the U.K. will be free from the EU and will be able to make all of its decisions. Looks like a win win for everybody.

Do you honestly think that the 'bottom of the heap' people who voted for brexit will be happy if immigration rules are not introduced to stop EU immigrants with no skills entering the country?

I suspect this is their main priority.

Brexit is Britain exiting the EU membership, hence he . Pretty clearly defined in my book. The referendum was that simple "leave or stay". What else could it possibly mean.

It could mean staying in the Single market or not it could mean accepting free labour movement or restricted or total control or borders. The parameters were never set.

They are the potential consequences, it still means leaving the EU.

Do you honestly think that the 'bottom of the heap' people who voted for brexit will be happy if immigration rules are not introduced to stop EU immigrants with no skills entering the country?

I agree with you. A soft Brexit could still mean that before entering the country an immigrant has to prove he has a job offer. A hard Brexit would be no foreigner can work in the UK if the job can be done by a local.

The biggest problem with immigration I don't believe is from the EU. If the British government had controlled immigration from outside the EU I would guess these feelings would not have surfaced.

Interesting to see that you ignored all the points I raised, and instead answered your own preferred questions. laugh.png .

I agree with you. A soft Brexit could still mean that before entering the country an immigrant has to prove he has a job offer. A hard Brexit would be no foreigner can work in the UK if the job can be done by a local.

The biggest problem with immigration I don't believe is from the EU. If the British government had controlled immigration from outside the EU I would guess these feelings would not have surfaced.

I disagree as I think most poor, working class people are pissed off by the influx of people from poor EU countries - willing to work for a pittance.

There won't be any restrictions on EU citizens entering the country if we want to stay in the single market. We simply don't have the leverage to insist on that.

I feel sorry for those duped into voting for something they were never going to get.

I disagree as I think most poor, working class people are pissed off by the influx of people from poor EU countries - willing to work for a pittance.

That won't change regardless of whatever border controls you have. Supply and demand and ruthless business will take care of that.

Before news of the events in Nice came through....

Foreign Secretary Boris Johnson booed at French Embassy

The new Foreign Secretary, Boris Johnson, has been booed by some of the guests at a French Embassy reception in London.

In his first public speech in his new role, Mr Johnson told the audience at the French Ambassador's residence that Anglo-French intergovernmental relations would be strengthened as the UK moves to leave the EU.

It was not clear whether the booing came from British or French guests, or both.

bbclogo.jpg
-- BBC http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-36798992

There is a good possibility that Boris was put to the position to be an expendable clown to quiet the brexiters. His actions will take spotlight off from the true negotiations. However as an foreign secretary and top UK diplomat, he must keep his wild ideas to himself and play the same game others do.

Meanwhile May and other higher caliber politicians negotiate the EU exit plan with the EU. They all know, UK is going to loose on this deal and they also know that they must sell the deal to the people of UK to keep the country united.

Before news of the events in Nice came through....

Foreign Secretary Boris Johnson booed at French Embassy

The new Foreign Secretary, Boris Johnson, has been booed by some of the guests at a French Embassy reception in London.

In his first public speech in his new role, Mr Johnson told the audience at the French Ambassador's residence that Anglo-French intergovernmental relations would be strengthened as the UK moves to leave the EU.

It was not clear whether the booing came from British or French guests, or both.

bbclogo.jpg

-- BBC http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-36798992

Ahh, so what. What does the booing achieve? nothing.

France will do trade deals with the UK for sure, the people who support the EU staying together will have to live with it and accept the future is not bright. Britain was bound to divide opinion in deciding to leave first, but I don't believe they will be the last.

There is a good possibility that Boris was put to the position to be an expendable clown to quiet the brexiters. His actions will take spotlight off from the true negotiations. However as an foreign secretary and top UK diplomat, he must keep his wild ideas to himself and play the same game others do.

Meanwhile May and other higher caliber politicians negotiate the EU exit plan with the EU. They all know, UK is going to loose on this deal and they also know that they must sell the deal to the people of UK to keep the country united.

Why is the UK going to lose on this deal? You don't know that, I suspect they will come out in a similar position they are today with EU trade and in a better position for governing themselves and International trade.

Time will tell, but I see it could be a bright future for Britain once all the dust settles and people sit around a table to negotiate the deals.