Boris Johnson shrugs off Europe’s shock at top diplomatic job

webfact

Wonderful Boris! To have the level of criticism and vitriol leveled at one, particularly when it comes from France and Germany, one should wear that with a badge of distinction.

You are spot on. It is really Germany and France that wants a United Europe.

Let's qualify that - Germany sees itself at the head of a Europe in which it is the predominant economic force, and therefore calls the shots. France sees itself as the natural leader of Europe, and rather likes (and needs) the Germans money. The UK doesn't and really never has fitted into their ideas.

What we have done, which they find unforgivable, is by deciding to leave, opening up that same possibility to the very significant Eurosceptic constituencies amongst the other 27 members.

Hence the vitriol from so many European politicians.

Whose next?

Wait till one of the big southern countries goes bust...

Here's the proof:

http://www.express.co.uk/news/politics/683739/EU-referendum-German-French-European-superstate-Brexit

• Replies 101
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Before news of the events in Nice came through....

Foreign Secretary Boris Johnson booed at French Embassy

The new Foreign Secretary, Boris Johnson, has been booed by some of the guests at a French Embassy reception in London.

In his first public speech in his new role, Mr Johnson told the audience at the French Ambassador's residence that Anglo-French intergovernmental relations would be strengthened as the UK moves to leave the EU.

It was not clear whether the booing came from British or French guests, or both.

bbclogo.jpg

-- BBC http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-36798992

Ahh, so what. What does the booing achieve? nothing.

France will do trade deals with the UK for sure, the people who support the EU staying together will have to live with it and accept the future is not bright. Britain was bound to divide opinion in deciding to leave first, but I don't believe they will be the last.

What does the booing achieve? Well it probably gave the BBC chappie a nice warm slightly moist feeling, same for the Guardian and Independent (do they still exist?) correspondants.

Otherwise nothing.

Clever move by May, having the brexiters doing the brexiting. Despite many thinking he's a bumbling buffoon, he's very switched on and a shrewd operator. He's also a good salesmen and will either have folk on their toes or eating out of his hand.

Nah. He is a buffoon.

Remind me of Monty Python's sketch with parrot, the one where the parrot is pushing up daisies....

Everyone that wants him to be smart and cagey see him that way (parrot alive).

But to everyone else he is buffoonish (parrot dead).

:P

Johnson is seen as a liar and a buffoon by many in the world and his appointment could well backfire on a Britain that is trying to heal the wounds of Brexit. On the other hand he now has to deal with the chaos that he was instrumental in causing. not only in Europe but also elsewhere where he has managed to insult many senior political figures. Fortunately he will not be directly involved in negotiations concerning any deals that can be done concerning brexit as others with more common sense will try to do that.

I am happy to eat humble pie if he manages to ingratiate himself with our allies and foreign friends and re-build relationships.

I'll start baking your pie.

Would you like custard with that?

Mrs. May is already going to buy a lot of thick knee-pads for her foreign minister.

Why?

He will urgently need them for all the prostrations before a lot of world statesman and -women who received "friendly" nicknames from BJ.

And they will ask him: "Smart buffoon, concerning your recent history, how many minutes, hours or days can we trust you?".

Then J. will be as smart as ever ......

17300-rde3cf.jpg

BoJo is a very smart man! smile.png

Mrs. May, send your new "star minister" for a long time to the diplomatic school before he will "enjoy" you and the world.

Edited by puck2

GAZZPA, on 15 Jul 2016 - 14:59, said:

snapback.png

dick dasterdly, on 15 Jul 2016 - 14:50, said:snapback.png

GAZZPA, on 15 Jul 2016 - 14:43, said:snapback.png

SoiBiker, on 15 Jul 2016 - 14:18, said:snapback.png

There won't be any restrictions on EU citizens entering the country if we want to stay in the single market. We simply don't have the leverage to insist on that.

I feel sorry for those duped into voting for something they were never going to get.

Thats true, but Britain will be in a position to manage its own laws.

Truth be told the UK could have done more to control immigration on its own. But thats not the only reason people voted to leave. Don't underestimate peoples ability to reason, and the key issue is that the EU is not working, mass unemployment, slow growth, indebted member states, its not good. Also it controls 60% of Britain's laws and this is only going to increase, it is moving toward a federal state governed by a central body dominated by Germany.

Immigration is one issue of many and I think most people understood this.

We all have our own opinions as to why so many voted to leave the EU, but even the remainers are saying that it was because of immigration.

My own opinion is that those who voted 'leave' would not be happy unless uncontrolled immigration is stopped.

Nobody has a problem with those in well-paid jobs being granted visas to work in the UK - its the many unskilled people entering the UK and cutting wages for the Brit. poor that has annoyed them enough to ignore politicians warnings, and vote brexit regardless.

That's fair enough but isn't it better that the freedom of movement is maintained but Britain manages it's own laws to manage who can stay and how? I don't agree that foreigners necessarily push down the wages, at the end of the day you can't stop companies paying a salary (that is legally above minimal wage) for the positions they have available. If the polish (for example) can come and work in Britain and survive on the salaries then the Brits will have to compete, simple as that.

The days when a bricklayer can command 400 quid a day are gone, long gone. A friend of mine used to be in the building trade, he earned as much money as a company executive for laying bricks! He didn't mind but it just was not sustainable, that was nearly 20 years ago mind you.

Might be tough but that's the way it is.

International and EU competition drives prices down, always has and always will and the Worlds not going to change.

At the moment Britain have almost zero control over anything.

And that's where we disagree because I have no doubt that uncontrolled immigration from the EU has lowered wages for those at the bottom of the heap.

It appears that those at the bottom of the heap agree with me.

Yes, this started long before uncontrolled immigration became a factor as companies came up with 're-structuring' to lower salaries.

Uncontrolled immigration (and outsourced jobs in India and the like) has just been the final straw for the working class IMO that resulted in the referendum vote.

I don't agree. People at the bottom will always appoint blame for being at the bottom, it's just the way it is and the way it will always be.
I don't think immigration has lowered the salaries at all, the legal minimum wage has gone up not down, so how can people at the bottom say immigration laws are reducing their income?

GAZZPA, on 15 Jul 2016 - 14:59, said:

snapback.png

dick dasterdly, on 15 Jul 2016 - 14:50, said:snapback.png

GAZZPA, on 15 Jul 2016 - 14:43, said:snapback.png

Thats true, but Britain will be in a position to manage its own laws.

Truth be told the UK could have done more to control immigration on its own. But thats not the only reason people voted to leave. Don't underestimate peoples ability to reason, and the key issue is that the EU is not working, mass unemployment, slow growth, indebted member states, its not good. Also it controls 60% of Britain's laws and this is only going to increase, it is moving toward a federal state governed by a central body dominated by Germany.

Immigration is one issue of many and I think most people understood this.

We all have our own opinions as to why so many voted to leave the EU, but even the remainers are saying that it was because of immigration.

My own opinion is that those who voted 'leave' would not be happy unless uncontrolled immigration is stopped.

Nobody has a problem with those in well-paid jobs being granted visas to work in the UK - its the many unskilled people entering the UK and cutting wages for the Brit. poor that has annoyed them enough to ignore politicians warnings, and vote brexit regardless.

That's fair enough but isn't it better that the freedom of movement is maintained but Britain manages it's own laws to manage who can stay and how? I don't agree that foreigners necessarily push down the wages, at the end of the day you can't stop companies paying a salary (that is legally above minimal wage) for the positions they have available. If the polish (for example) can come and work in Britain and survive on the salaries then the Brits will have to compete, simple as that.

The days when a bricklayer can command 400 quid a day are gone, long gone. A friend of mine used to be in the building trade, he earned as much money as a company executive for laying bricks! He didn't mind but it just was not sustainable, that was nearly 20 years ago mind you.

Might be tough but that's the way it is.

International and EU competition drives prices down, always has and always will and the Worlds not going to change.

At the moment Britain have almost zero control over anything.

And that's where we disagree because I have no doubt that uncontrolled immigration from the EU has lowered wages for those at the bottom of the heap.

It appears that those at the bottom of the heap agree with me.

Yes, this started long before uncontrolled immigration became a factor as companies came up with 're-structuring' to lower salaries.

Uncontrolled immigration (and outsourced jobs in India and the like) has just been the final straw for the working class IMO that resulted in the referendum vote.

I don't agree. People at the bottom will always appoint blame for being at the bottom, it's just the way it is and the way it will always be.
I don't think immigration has lowered the salaries at all, the legal minimum wage has gone up not down, so how can people at the bottom say immigration laws are reducing their income?

Ask the M&S exec. who said this was the case, and thought it was a good thing.