Thai Tourism Minister to discuss insurance cover for tourists

webfact

Tourism Minister to discuss insurance cover for tourists

kk.jpg
Tourism Minister Kobkarn Wattanavrangkul

BANGKOK, 20 July 2016 (NNT) - The Tourism Minister is planning to hold discussions with related parties about offering an insurance service to foreign tourists.

Tourism Minister Kobkarn Wattanavrangkul said this week that the ministry will invite representatives from the Airports of Thailand Public Company Limited, the Immigration Bureau and the Ministry of Foreign Affairs to a meeting to discuss the implementation of insurance coverage for international visitors.

Mrs. Kobkarn said that a meeting is needed because no decision has yet been taken on the budget to be used as the insurance premium for Thai General Insurance Association, which has been estimated at between 150 million baht and 180 million baht each year.

She said that many parties have objected to the plan to use the government budget for this insurance scheme.

The Tourism Minister added that there has been a suggestion to incorporate this expense with other costs of travel, such as the visa fee or as an air fare add-on, but the idea is complicated by the fact that there are many airlines operating to Thailand and the number is increasing. This means that the Ministry may not be able to reach a conclusion on this deal with all of them.

One option is to impose the fee as a mandatory cost, which would not affect tourists at all, as each traveler is expected to pay only six baht as an insurance premium.

nntlogo.jpg
-- NNT 2016-07-20 footer_n.gif

• Replies 112
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

She said that many parties have objected to the plan to use the government budget for this insurance scheme.

I agree, why should my taxes pay for a foreigners medical expenses - just ask the foreigners when entering the country to show proof of medical insurance to an agreed amount before a Visa is granted

Would it not be a good idea to cover everyone, not just tourists. For example a bond system where the expat long stayers on whatever type of visa, deposits, let’s say for arguments sake between Married visa 400K and retirement visa 800K, 600K?

The bond would be held for the duration of the stay and it would cover all medical, repatriation cost. Etc.

On the contrary, if the government was going to pay the traveller's costs there's every reason—and chance—for hospitals to charge even more exorbitant fees.

I really wouldn't want to leave my care and repatriation in case of a severe accident to a 6 baht Thai government administered scheme!

Simple. You MUST get Thai insurance from Thai company. 2,000 baht per month, every tourist. then co-pays, etc...

If they think you came in with a pre-existing condition (like just to have surgery in Thailand, or something very serious);, fraud, prison, blacklisted, and you will PAY before you leave!!!!!!

But if you explain the condition, no worries......but now deposit and more baht per month........yes, you can pay yearly or quarterly!!!

If you wait and buy before immigration, 2500 baht!!!!

Edited by puukao

what would you get for 6 baht?

30 baht scheme

I would go for that in a heart beat. Sure, using a govt hospital under the 30 baht scheme can sometimes mean long waits, but you still get medicare care, free meds, surgery, etc. After being personally involved in the 30 baht scheme with Thai in-laws and friends, it's definitely a good deal since Thai don't pay any premiums to get the care...nor is money taken from their paychecks. Sure you will hear some Thais bitch about the 30 baht scheme and some horror stories (of course you hear horror stories for any country's private or public medical systems), but those same Thais would rise up in revolt if the govt tried to scrap it, require monthly premiums, etc. I know my Thai in-laws consider the 30 baht program the most important benefit they have.

And I can't see the Thai govt ever allowing farangs to have access to the 30 baht program. Say you are in your home country, you develop a major disease, you don't have private or govt medical coverage, you decide to just move to Thailand because you know you'll be covered under the 30 baht medical scheme....you get the necessary medical care and hopefully get better/cured. Hey, let's move back to the home country...or no, just stay in Thailand to await the next disease/accident that strikes you. And all covered under the 30 baht scheme with no premiums/co pays....well, maybe a 6 baht premium and 30 baht copay. Yes, I've seen posts over the years where some typical farangs in Thailand say they got signup for 30 baht scheme coverage, but I expect that occurred as a mistake by some local officials.

Won't happen our lifetime except maybe allowing farangs to use the 30 baht program if paying a healthy monthly premium which probably would not cover any previous/current medical conditions with additional fine print.

Edited by Pib

Not sure why Thailand has to bother about insuring it's tourists, dose any other country insure it's

tourists? I don't think so, but just incase there's one, simply follow their model,

on the other hand, this is a slippery slops situation, whereby tourists coming to Thailand will not

by travel insurance cover thinking that they're covered already, this is only one problems,

the other will be what and how much coverage you get and for how long? more questions than

answers........

what would you get for 6 baht?

30 baht scheme

I would go for that in a heart beat. Sure, using a govt hospital under the 30 baht scheme can sometimes mean long waits, but you still get medicare care, free meds, surgery, etc. After being personally involved in the 30 baht scheme with Thai in-laws and friends, it's definitely a good deal since Thai don't pay any premiums to get the care...nor is money taken from their paychecks. Sure you will hear some Thais bitch about the 30 baht scheme and some horror stories (of course you hear horror stories for any country's private or public medical systems), but those same Thais would rise up in revolt if the govt tried to scrap it, require monthly premiums, etc. I know my Thai in-laws consider the 30 baht program the most important benefit they have.

please read.

part 1 clauses 1-100.

part 2 clauses 101-200

part 3 conditions.

part 4 age taken into consideration.

part 5 the ability to pay.

please read the small print [in thai]

Nothing new (or controversial) in this (See http://blog.visitorscoverage.com/mandatory-travel-insurance-a-growing-trend-for-foreign-tourists/).

TAT have already had their finger in this pie in Thailand, only it's a little more realistic than ฿6/day (http://thailandtravelshield.tourismthailand.org/).

Incidental, it does appear to be in keeping with Khun Kobkarn's interest in Social Responsibility (https://www.weforum.org/people/kobkarn-wattanavrangkul/).

Tourism Minister Kobkarn Wattanavrangkul is obviously from a well off family if she studied in the USA...

Studies in Fine Arts, Wellesley College, US; degree in Architecture, Rhode Island School of Design, US. Former Assistant to Project Manager, MahBoonKrong Center Co., for the interior design of the largest shopping complex in Bangkok. Joined Toshiba Thailand Co. as Advertising Manager; successive promotions leading up to current post as Chairperson. During the 1997 economic crash, led the business towards development, launching a range of IT products.

Interests: promotion of the arts and educational projects, social responsibility...

More Rubbish from this lady, look at the income from tourism, your Hospitals should stop dual pricing, and for god stake stop whingeing , or you may see a serious downturn in tourism

If tourists know they can be insured for 6 Baht more will come here not less, If you buy holiday insurance from your home country to go to any other country it costs a lot more than 6 Baht

For those who can't add up, 6 Baht x 30 Million visitors = 180 Million baht

If I were coming here on holiday I would be happy to pay 6 baht for insurance but of course the TV brigade always have to find faults

One would think that adding 6 baht to the 750 baht airport tax would do the trick nicely, all airlines already include it in their outbound fares.

This has nothing to do with insuring foreign tourists, one cannot insure them for a mere 6 baht. This is to recuperate losses incurred by tourists who managed to avoid paying their medical expenses whilst in Thailand, and instead of trying to recuperate the money from those cheapskates, they now try to make every tourist pay.

Does anyone (apart from the previous poster) actually believe people wouldn't need their normal insurance anymore, of course not, please don't believe the bull that is in the OP !

Edited by sjaak327

More Rubbish from this lady, look at the income from tourism, your Hospitals should stop dual pricing, and for god stake stop whingeing , or you may see a serious downturn in tourism

It is a complicated issue but I agree in general to what you are saying, perhaps Thailand should have different policies for different nationalities, treat them as they would be treated in the UK or Europe for example, more and more Thais are traveling abroad these days and they are generally taken care of for free in most countries they visit

I have seen evidence of Thai hospitals milking or taking advantage of foreigners that fall ill, hiking treatments and prices to maximise profits, it is big business and as I have said many times - money number one

It is a complicated issue but I agree in general to what you are saying, perhaps Thailand should have different policies for different nationalities, treat them as they would be treated in the UK or Europe for example, more and more Thais are traveling abroad these days and they are generally taken care of for free in most countries they visit

I have seen evidence of Thai hospitals milking or taking advantage of foreigners that fall ill, hiking treatments and prices to maximise profits, it is big business and as I have said many times - money number one

In Europe, Thais need a visa, and one of the requirements for a visa is an insurance policy with a coverage of at least 30.000 euro, such an insurance can be obtained in Thailand for about 3000 baht. There is no such thing as free treatment...

Edited by sjaak327

Tourism Minister Kobkarn Wattanavrangkul is obviously from a well off family if she studied in the USA...

Studies in Fine Arts, Wellesley College, US; degree in Architecture, Rhode Island School of Design, US. Former Assistant to Project Manager, MahBoonKrong Center Co., for the interior design of the largest shopping complex in Bangkok. Joined Toshiba Thailand Co. as Advertising Manager; successive promotions leading up to current post as Chairperson. During the 1997 economic crash, led the business towards development, launching a range of IT products.

Interests: promotion of the arts and educational projects, social responsibility...

A very well off family who have a long history of military support.

To fill in the bits that are missing in this bio, she followed her mother in going to Wellesley College who also went there. It was also her mother who set up Toshiba Thailand as a joint venture with Toshiba in Japan with Kobkarn inheriting the chairmanship - mother had to come back and help out in 1997 during the crash.

Her first job at MahBoonKrong (MBK) was also a family position - Mah and Boon are her grandparents who were heavily involved the rice business. The family surname, Bulakul, was adopted by her grandparents after they came here from China - the 'Bul' is taken from the name of ex Thai strongman Phibul Songkram and 'kul' meaning clan.

Also part of this family are the Chokchai's and business interests as well as farming, rice and retail are hotels and leisure.

Simple. You MUST get Thai insurance from Thai company. 2,000 baht per month, every tourist. then co-pays, etc...

If they think you came in with a pre-existing condition (like just to have surgery in Thailand, or something very serious);, fraud, prison, blacklisted, and you will PAY before you leave!!!!!!

But if you explain the condition, no worries......but now deposit and more baht per month........yes, you can pay yearly or quarterly!!!

If you wait and buy before immigration, 2500 baht!!!!

If I'm paying for an insurance scheme, whether I'm forced to do so or out of my own free will, I don't also want to have to make a co-payment. The whole point behind insurance is the medical insurance company will pay ALL of my bills. I realise there are limits, like they may only cover 5000 Baht per night for an overnight hospital stay and that may mean missing out on a "deluxe" room unless you pay an extra 200 Baht, but for all intents and purposes, all costs should be covered.

My wife has insurance and recently spent a night in the hospital for observation. All her costs were covered, except for a small amount she had to pay for first and claim later, but in most normal circumstances, seeing a doctor means all her doctor's fees and medicines are covered by her insurance.

My own insurance also covers 100% of my costs without an excess.

Smart lady. The Minister has at last come to realise Thailand is a dangerous place for a holiday and tourists should therefore have insurance cover in the likely event of a marine or road accident accident or a deliberate act of violence caused against them.

Would it not be a good idea to cover everyone, not just tourists. For example a bond system where the expat long stayers on whatever type of visa, deposits, let’s say for arguments sake between Married visa 400K and retirement visa 800K, 600K?

The bond would be held for the duration of the stay and it would cover all medical, repatriation cost. Etc.

Hmm, do you seriously think that once deposited the cash would ever be returned?

I agree, why should my taxes pay for a foreigners medical expenses - just ask the foreigners when entering the country to show proof of medical insurance to an agreed amount before a Visa is granted

I do not know where you are from but given the lax rules on ANYTHING here then if you want people to come and SPEND their money HERE then cover them.

MOST decent countries do - but hey Thailand is far away slipping from anything left as being FAIR nor DECENT

In My country Australia, USA EU people get emergency medical FREE.

Sure they are asked to pay it back but if they leave and don't pay the govt cops it as a good will venture

This lady is so thirsty for exposure in the media.

Perhaps she's worried about something...?

Winnie

Or perhaps she is actually trying to do some work. Unlike members of the previous regime who were to busy trying to fill their own pockets.