Will The Umbrellas Be Closing Along Beach Road?

webfact

Will The Umbrellas Be Closing Along Beach Road?
Story by Albert Jack

umb2.jpg

PATTAYA: -- Umbrella and beach chair vendors, along Beach Road, Pattaya, have been complaining that business is looking bleak this year.

On July 19, Pattaya One reporters went on location at Pattaya beaches, stretching from the north to the south, and found business wasn’t at all as it should be.

One vendor, sixty-five year old Mrs Yindee, says that the long weekend holiday trade is not comparing to last year during the same period. She complained that she is only earning around 1000 baht a day now and on that particular day had only two customers.

Displaying a canny understanding of her business model she put the blame squarely at the feet of city officials and their decision to widen Beach Road and carry out landscaping work, removing car parking facilities in the process.

Source: http://pattayaone.net/pattaya-news/227911/will-umbrellas-closing-along-beach-road/

pattaya-one.jpg
-- Pattaya One 2016-07-20

"only earning around 1000 baht a day now..."

30,000 a month. Tax Free. Not bad for a Thai during a depression.

What was it before? Triple?

No sympathy for your illegal "business" on the beach.

"She might have mentioned that years of constant overcharging, ladyboy muggings, raw sewage in the seawater, baht bus overcharging,

police harassment & jet ski scams could have something to do with the reason tourist numbers are so far down this year. (further suggestions below please)" wai2.gifwai.gif

O.K.:

Tourist murders, Tourist beatings by packs of cowardly Thai "men", highly questionable "suicides", thieving Taxi thugs...

Beach beautification, urgent environmental treatment of sewerage outflows into the water and rubbish collection around the beach and beach road would be a start. And the putrid stench of God knows what in the stormwater/sewer drains on Beach road need addressing too. Basically an overhaul of the whole beach infrastructure.

The beach chair and umbrellas on the beach idea also is a bit worn out IMO.

Needs good town planning and innovation to put life back into the beach area.

It's not the best beach to go to but it's all about convenience with the 'one stop shop' accessibility for those attracted to Pattaya for all the other reasons.

There are definitely the crowds as I see weekly. But honestly for me it's boring. The water is usually flat so ample space there for entertaining, setting up for live shows etc. There are events year round already for jet skis, windsurfing championships etc but there's loads of room for other stuff. Maybe I am wrong. Just putting it out there.

"She might have mentioned that years of constant overcharging, ladyboy muggings, raw sewage in the seawater, baht bus overcharging,

police harassment & jet ski scams could have something to do with the reason tourist numbers are so far down this year. (further suggestions below please)" wai2.gifwai.gif

O.K.:

Tourist murders, Tourist beatings by packs of cowardly Thai "men", highly questionable "suicides", thieving Taxi thugs...

A tad hysterical response. Have you ever been to Pattaya?

Gee, you think every conceivable scam, rip offs, muggings, robberies, rapes and every other type of crime has anything to do with it?

Have any of the things you quoted happened to you or anybody you know?

Yes. Any more stupid questions?

50 baht to sit on some stinky chair? I just know too much wind and near wind has passed through that cloth. Never wash or clean them and then store the chairs so the rats have a place to lounge at night.

People do not go to Pattaya to lie on the beach the beach water / filthy people are choosing better destinations and some of the many are going elsewhere...

A lot of Thai people do....loads come from Bangkok every weekend they love to sit in the beach chairs under umbrellas ( so they wont get a tan )

quite a few will also play ( not swim ) in the water fully clothed ( have to remain pasty white or they might be mis identified as farmers )

Who in their right mind would want to swim in the where sea now when it floods all the storm water including residue from Beach Road, Sewage etc flows directly into the sea.

Then have a walk down after dark and watch the rats running about.

That's the reason why business is failing.

Edited by Alex2015

There was a report a few weeks ago that the water quality in Pattaya bay was "satisfactory"

others have suggested that the "dark" water flowing from shore into the bay is in fact seasonal algae bloom !

It's hardly a family destination nowadays...and the few families that do go there, are quite often Russian and eastern European....as well as Chinese of course....but they hardly lie on the beach!

The single male tourists rarely get to the beach either....except with a new partner in tow.....they're too busy recovering from the last night and preparing for the next:))

Wow, so much negativity here, lol

I don't go the beach very often, but once in a while I do. And I am always glad the chair operators are there.

I don't want to lie on my back in the sand, and am to lazy to drag various items with me, even though I

only drive a car these days.

I get to the beach, have a nice shade, a semi-comfortable chair, and if I want something to drink or

eat, they are there to please. Never had a bad experience from those operators.

I understand others have different expectations, and there is plenty of beach for people who prefer

to bring their own mat/towel, whatever, but for me it's almost always great. Last week it was 5 of,

us, we had various soft drinks ... 420 baht. No complaints from me ... I'd be sad if they disappear

altogether.

luudee

Edited by luudee

On a weekend away from my work in Bangkok, I love to relax on one of those lazy chairs in Bang Saen beach and get myself a good foot massage with the sea breeze on my face. Cold coconut water, fresh fruits or even a cold beer with grilled chicken. Amazing value.

O.K.:

Pattaya eh. Its raining men, if you don't get flattened by an overweight Swede from the 30th floor, you're bound to be beaten up by a gang of 30 cowardly Thais just for refusing to pay thousands of baht for a supercharged baht bus, before ladyboys flock to take advantage of your unconscious body and steal the Chang t-shirt off your back. you recover but the jet ski you rented gets covered in untreated sewage and the police harass you because you refuse to clean it up

Even if you just stick to the illegal deck chairs you suffer from depression because you just know the deck chair lady is earning more than you and not paying her taxes.

Me, I'm moving to Syria tomorrow. At least there you know where you stand as a foreign tourist!

Does anyone feel sorry for them , No.

Only earning a 1000 baht a day. coffee1.gif

Given that they used to invade the beach like a plague ,

leaving only the worst place to people that would not want to pay , i wont shed a tear.

Even sometimes they intimidated people that where not renting but sitting nearby.

Good riddance!

Its the only contry where i once saw as much umbrellas as sand on the the beach

I have been visiting Pattaya once a year for from a few days to two or three weeks & never once have I gone down to the beach to lie about or swim. Why would I, as I come from Australia which has some of the best beaches in the world? Ours range from very busy to very quiet beaches with some spectacular scenery. But aside from a few beaches near the big cities they all have clean sands and water with no pollution or raw sewerage as is the case with most beaches in Thailand such as Pattaya.

I come to Thailand essentially for one reason - cheap & available women. That is it, I have said it. Without that factor I would not visit the country as there are far better places. If the new Thai Tourism Minister thinks she is going to 'clean-up' the country by getting rid of the sex industry, well fine I will go elsewhere in the world.

Cambodia & the P.I.'s spring to mind followed by the Dominican Republic, Brazil and other places over there.

Another lovely country to visit that has lovely beaches & friendly people though no commercial sex industry (unless your a boy-lover) is Sri Lanka. Fantastic place and the Real Land of Smiles as far as I am concerned.

I couldn't give a shit for the beach umbrellas, surf skis and all the other crap on Pattaya's beaches as I never go there ever & never will.

If I swim it is only in a hotel pool with my belle de jour!

The chair rental biz is down because they are not allowed to cover the entire beach in empty chairs nowadays, forcing tourists into using their services.

Plenty of videos on YouTube of these sleaze balls abusing tourists that prefer to sit on the sand.

These chair vendors have turned the beach into a shanty slum. Looks terrible.

O.K.:

Before you post garbage, find out how much she has to pay for the right to have the concession.

Interviewing one vendor is hardly extensive research and doesn't justify the headline. I enjoy sitting on the beach, watching the world go by and escaping the heat for a while. It isn't compulsory and if anyone doesn't like to go on the beach, well that's fine - don't go. Vendors have seen their revenue reduced by having to close every Wednesday for some bizzare reason. Some vendors may not be too customer friendly, many are and there is plenty of choice available. I'd miss them if they went and I hope that the brisker than average weekend trade from their fellow Thais (visitors from Bangkok and workers from Pattaya on a day off) keeps their businesses viable.