Identify this plant

Could someone help me out by identifying this weed?

It's a rampant creeping vine with heart-shaped leaves. The stems are purple and squarish in cross-section. Sorry, no flowers on it at the moment. Is it safe to feed pigs/goats/chickens?

weed.jpg

We are still working on it ,but it is not Pak -Boon,or the English name of Morning Glory ,son -in- law use to regular feed it to his pigs ,it is manly a water plant ,misses has sent me in to our local klong for some ,a few times ,often get it with Som -Tum.

Thanks for all the feedback.

It is definitely not morning glory (ผักบุ้ง pak bung) as that has a round, green, hollow stems and narrow leaves. This plant has squarish, solid (not hollow), purple stems and rounder leaves.

It's also not winged bean (ถั่วพู thua phoo) as that has a very thin stem.

It is definitely not morning glory (ผักบุ้ง pak bung) as that has a round, green, hollow stems and narrow leaves. This plant has squarish, solid (not hollow), purple stems and rounder leaves.

I have to agree, my wife said immediately that this was Pak bung, so that's what I suggested, as well as the fact that you collect it from ponds.

Answer now: dunno. Show us the flowers when you get that far, I can't remember seeing an aquatic plant like that around here, Buriram.

As someone suggested, ask a Thai. They'll usually know if it's edible or not.

Sent from my SMART_4G_Speedy_5inch using Tapatalk

I have to agree, my wife said immediately that this was Pak bung, so that's what I suggested, as well as the fact that you collect it from ponds.

Answer now: dunno. Show us the flowers when you get that far, I can't remember seeing an aquatic plant like that around here, Buriram.

I never said I collect it from ponds. (That was kickstart who said that about pak boong.) This plant grows on dry land.

Antigonon Leptopus.Is edible but many farmers consider it a weed.Pretty pink flowers nearly year round.

We grow some on a trellis just because it looks nice,very fast growing.

According to my darling Ann who knows a lot of plants.

Antigonon Leptopus.Is edible but many farmers consider it a weed.Pretty pink flowers nearly year round.

We grow some on a trellis just because it looks nice,very fast growing.

According to my darling Ann who knows a lot of plants.

It's not Antigonon leptopus because that has tendrils and my plant doesn't.

This one is taking some identifying ,my misses knows the plant ,but not the name same with sister in law ,one guy gave me a name ,Don-See- Leeum, literary, 4 cornered plant ,Goggled it nothing come up ,I think a lot of names will be local names .

Not given up yet ,it's out they some where .

Someone told me it was jing jor liam (จิงจ้อเหลี่ยม) which would make it Operculina turpethum. Can anyone confirm that?

I think that is correct, my misses had a look at the photos posted on the net of the names , you wrote the flowers can be white or purple, and the fruit looks the same .

She said last week ,it was called อีจ้อ , e- jor, I Googled that (,and all that come up was a character from a South Korean soap opera ,showing on Thai tv) , which made me think that could have been a local name, not recorded .

She said last week ,it was called อีจ้อ , e- jor, I Googled that (,and all that come up was a character from a South Korean soap opera ,showing on Thai tv) , which made me think that could have been a local name, not recorded .

That's the northern Thai name for jing jor liam. Is your wife from the north?

That's the northern Thai name for jing jor liam. Is your wife from the north?

You lean something new every day ,e- jor the northern name for the plant .

My misses is Lopburi, born and bred .

• 7 months later...