Grammatical Error or Something Else?

sensei

post-28695-0-92270900-1469021964_thumb.p

I see this all the time. It makes me want to go up the wall and paint everything white.

Not being a grammar Nazi here, I just want to know if I am the only one asking this question.

It's not a grammatical error. If you read the Thai script version of the name it's clear that it's "Eat MR", but they've spelled out the (Thai) pronunciation of the letters M and R.

It's not a grammatical error. If you read the Thai script version of the name it's clear that it's "Eat MR", but they've spelled out the (Thai) pronunciation of the letters M and R.

either that, or

the R goes in , but somewhere else;

Eat Em Rare

beatdeadhorse.gif

It's a deliberate play on words taking the Thai pronunciation of 'Is' to fit the name of a restaurant. Reasonably creative and a name that Thais probably find amusing, even if it goes over the head of a lot of foreigners.

It's a deliberate play on words taking the Thai pronunciation of 'Is' to fit the name of a restaurant.

Poppycock. If that were the case the first word would be spelled with sɔ̌ sʉ̌a. It's not. It's spelled with thɔ̌ tháˑ​hǎan.

It's a deliberate play on words taking the Thai pronunciation of 'Is' to fit the name of a restaurant.

Poppycock. If that were the case the first word would be spelled with sɔ̌ sʉ̌a. It's not. It's spelled with thɔ̌ tháˑ​hǎan.

You're wrong and missing out on the cultural background.

The Thai spelling is based on the word 'eat' not the word 'is'. The word 'Eat' is used in the name because it's very close to the Thai pronunciation of 'is' ( - and it's a restaurant!!). Every single Thai is very familiar with Verb to be - Is, Am, Are' from their English classes. It's almost a set phrase that they have all had to parrot at some time in their life.

Thais love their word play, especially between Thai and English. This is definitely deliberate.

The Thai spelling is based on the word 'eat' not the word 'is'. The word 'Eat' is used in the name because it's very close to the Thai pronunciation of 'is' ( - and it's a restaurant!!). Every single Thai is very familiar with Verb to be - Is, Am, Are' from their English classes. It's almost a set phrase that they have all had to parrot at some time in their life.

Thais love their word play, especially between Thai and English. This is definitely deliberate.

Still poppycock.
Indeed, the Thai spelling is based upon the word "eat". That's because it is the word "eat".
If it were the word "is", (i) it would be written with sɔ̌ soo , and (ii) it would be written with a short vowel, not a long one. (Check out SD-ED's Modern Thai Dictionary, page 265 in the hardback edition, if you doubt me.)
The wordplay is in the final two words, not the first.
As for "Every single Thai is very familiar with Verb to be - Is, Am, Are' from their English classes." Uh, no. They are taught in a particular order, viz. am, are, is. Totally different. Nothing close to a set phrase; they've never parroted "is am are" ever in their lives.
And you're totally ignoring the point that the Thai spellings of "am" and "are" are the spellings of the letters M and R - not of the English verb forms.

Still poppycock.
Indeed, the Thai spelling is based upon the word "eat". That's because it is the word "eat".
If it were the word "is", (i) it would be written with sɔ̌ soo , and (ii) it would be written with a short vowel, not a long one. (Check out SD-ED's Modern Thai Dictionary, page 265 in the hardback edition, if you doubt me.)
The wordplay is in the final two words, not the first.
As for "Every single Thai is very familiar with Verb to be - Is, Am, Are' from their English classes." Uh, no. They are taught in a particular order, viz. am, are, is. Totally different. Nothing close to a set phrase; they've never parroted "is am are" ever in their lives.
And you're totally ignoring the point that the Thai spellings of "am" and "are" are the spellings of the letters M and R - not of the English verb forms.

The Thai spellings are basically following the the 'Thai Thai' pronunciation of the English words. Letter M would usually be spelt เอ็ม.

Try googling "is am are". I'm sure you'll find plenty of Thai results.

Sounds deliberately stupid to me.

I can compare reading that to the sound of fingernails scraping on chalkboard.

Try googling "is am are". I'm sure you'll find plenty of Thai results.

Just did. Fewer than 100 results, around 60 of which relate to the restaurant chain.

Sounds really weird.

Sounds like it came straight out of Google Translate

RE: Thais love their word play

Yes, you're right. I used to know several examples of this, but unfortunately can no longer remember them.

How about you -- what other examples of Thai "word play" have you seen?

I recall one or two interesting names for furniture shops in and around Sukhumwit Sois 55 / 63. And there used to be a few examples over at RCA.

Of you put Eat Am Are in Google translate it come back as ' กินน' which according to my Thai friend means 'eat'

So simply put 'Eat good steak'.

That's spelt wrong too, the correct spelling of 'kin' is กิน.

It's a really funny thread, thanks for the laugh. The restaurants name is just a play on words, nothing more, nothing less.

Has anyone eaten there? What's the steak like ?

Archived