SURVEY: How long have you lived in Thailand?

Scott

SURVEY: How long have you lived in Thailand?  

465 members have voted

You do not have permission to vote in this poll, or see the poll results. Please sign in or register to vote in this poll.

The following is copied from my Profile Page.

"I have lived in Thailand my entire adult life. Soon after completing my studies, I moved to Bangkok. I was not sent here by military, government, god or corporation. I just bought a ticket and boarded a plane with no real plan. I had no idea what I would do or how I would stay here. Somehow it all worked out.

I have been treated well by Thais and Thailand. You will hear no horror stories from me about this place I call home. I seem to have very little in common with the average retiree these days and struggle to reconcile their vision of Thailand with mine.
After 30 years in Bangkok I moved to Chiang Rai and not long after I joined ThaiVisa."
So I usually say I have been here 40 years because that splits the difference between 1975 when I first visited as a student and four trips later in 1977 when I moved here full-time. That Thailand is gone but I am still very happy here and have no real complaint other than I am getting old. I can't say I have met many expats with similar experiences to mine, even though I have met a lot of people over the years.
Edited by villagefarang

• Replies 112
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I've been here for the better part of 25 years. Some interruptions, but my organization was based here, so it was always the home base.

A long time ago it was very different and it felt more exotic. Now it has a lot of the same things as most major western cities. I find when I travel, there isn't a lot of difference. The people are much attuned to being friendly than other places, so most encounters with strangers there is a nod and a smile. That doesn't happen in a lot of other places.

That section I underlined I find so very true here

I think it is the main charm for me. I cannot remember a time a smile was not returned here

"I have lived in Thailand my entire adult life. Soon after completing my studies, I moved to Bangkok. I was not sent here by military, government, god or corporation. I just bought a ticket and boarded a plane with no real plan. I had no idea what I would do or how I would stay here. Somehow it all worked out.

I have been treated well by Thais and Thailand. You will hear no horror stories from me about this place I call home. I seem to have very little in common with the average retiree these days and struggle to reconcile their vision of Thailand with mine.
After 30 years in Bangkok I moved to Chiang Rai and not long after I joined ThaiVisa."
So I usually say I have been here 40 years because that splits the difference between 1975 when I first visited as a student and four trips later in 1977 when I moved here full-time. That Thailand is gone but I am still very happy here and have no real complaint other than I am getting old. I can't say I have met many expats with similar experiences to mine, even though I have met a lot of people over the years.

I was just wondering if villagefarang would contribute as I composed my post and this sort of confirms my thoughts that if they were handing out gongs for years of truly living in Thailand, he would be on the podium. I would say you have a formidable fortitude sir... or maybe there's something in that cool, clear Chiang Rai water.

You should get to places around and discover Bangkok,...get lost in some sois and go further and further until you find a great looking place to eat or have a coffee....there are some incredibly beautiful places which are not in the tourist travel books... if you get lost there is always a taxi to get you back...this is what i love when in BKK,..I love to discover places like Chinatown,...the old quarters....Don't waist you're time in front of a TV..

best regards.

I have my little 'granny' bicycle with a basket on the front and cycle around the Thai markets, countryside, lakes and temples most mornings.

My local, coffee shop, lake and temple (Ba Pong).

post-260195-0-79393200-1469354296_thumb.post-260195-0-82450500-1469354279_thumb.post-260195-0-64269000-1469354286_thumb.

Off to the Philippines next month for a week (90 gbp out, 70gbp back CNX, KUL, MNL). Can't believe flights are so cheap.

Edited by MissAndry

Worked three stints, the first being the early 1980's. In all, about lived and worked in Thailand 16 of the past 35 years, plus the odd short visit when working elsewhere. None the less, I never have, and never would call Thailand "home".

I was just wondering if villagefarang would contribute as I composed my post and this sort of confirms my thoughts that if they were handing out gongs for years of truly living in Thailand, he would be on the podium. I would say you have a formidable fortitude sir... or maybe there's something in that cool, clear Chiang Rai water.

The water in Chiang Rai is only cool and clear after I filter it and put it in the refrigerator.biggrin.png

It can be interesting when I bump into a real old-timer like Shrimp for example. His advertising company was doing a photoshoot and my wife was doing the makeup several years ago. We had never been close but knew a lot about each other and had lots of friends in common so even though we hadn’t crossed paths for maybe 20 years we did have many shared experiences.
It is hard to find foreigners who can relate but I have met many Thais who went to the same places and knew some of the same people I did. I guess it is a good thing I am not very nostalgic.

l first came to Thailand in 1975, just a whistle stop on my way to Europe.

My brother & l stayed in the Victory hotel. Think its been pulled down now.

This time around, l've been here on & off since november 2012.

Even in that short time l have noticed that prices have risen.

Still cheap accommodation & food though.

To me, Thailand is still interesting & a bit exotic.

Haven't had time to get jaded yet! lol.

Came here to Pattaya for a short holiday in 1993, met a girl came back a few weeks later,had some good times ,she came to the UK ,I went to BKK went into business, I met my now wife through business ,the girl I took to the UK met someone ,went back to the UK with my fiance,got married in the UK ,we had a son ,10 years ago came back here to stay ,in Pattaya rather than Bangkok, still friends with my original girlfriend , HAPPY as a pig in it

30 years. 27 years in Bkk, where my lovely farang wife taught at a top international school and I owned a business. Three years ago we moved to the middle of nowhere outside a tiny village in Sisaket, took a 30/60 year lease on two rai, built a 300 sq. meter house, acquired four dogs, and are growing limes, dragon fruit, mango, pumpkin, okra, papaya, water melon and raising catfish. Life is ever so easy. No reason to return to the States.

post-212044-0-00595800-1469359439_thumb.

Why the constant fascination with "how long have you lived here", it is not a contest!

Of course it is, always is. Here is this weeks winner, does he get 2 nights in Pattaya? cheesy.gif

Posted Today, 15:56

I first came here (by train from Singapore) in 1957.

I came back to live here in 1991.... and reach the 25 year mark next month.

Only 15 years here living and working. I say only, as the more I stay here the less I understand things. Yes I get the language and did years ago. the country has not progressed in many ways. In fact being honest I do understand things here, I just disagree with many of the things. Besides that it is a wonderful place as a foreigner (Alien) and a place, I have made home.

I had a cushy number with BT in the UK in the late 80s, covering employees on summer leave, then I would spend the winters in Thailand. But in 1992 I took the plunge and moved here full time.

It's been a wonderful 24 years since then, lots of fun and a loving family, a farm where things grow all year round, plus an interesting job with a great boss.

The innate cheerfulness and humour of Thais that's grounded with a sympathy for those for whom times get hard stole my heart many years ago.

First starry-eyed visit was by chance in 1993. "By chance" because I had a 12 day holiday during a peacekeeping tour in Croatia. My original plan had been rent a car and travel to Germany and look up friends from when I'd been posted there in the 80s. That fell through when I got to the airport (a long way from where our camp was located) and discovered I'd forgotten my IDP. Option #2 - fly to Morocco and visit Casablanca. Lufthansa guy gives me a quote of 1,400 Deutsche marks. Seemed rather expensive so I asked what it would cost to fly to Thailand. 1,700 DM ! I thought wow, for only 300 DM more I could go all the way to Thailand and back ? Sign me up !

So glad I did that. For one, the trip was AWESOME. For another, I found out later that the movie Casablanca had been filmed entirely in a Hollywood sound stage except for one scene at a local airport.

Many visits later and then I left the military to work overseas as a civvy. Decided to rent an apartment as it was much more convenient than getting a hotel room for a month 3-4 times a year and having to lug all my stuff back and forth each time. From there to a house and here I still am.

No regrets (as to my decision to live here) and can't really see myself going anywhere else at this stage of my life.

I came here from the US in 1995 on a six month contract. If I remember correctly the Baht was 25 to the dollar. Liked it so well decided to make it my home base. I continued contracting until I retired but always returned between contracts. Being an old farm boy I chose Isaan as my final resting place. I'm happy as a bug in a rug.

Came on the 23rd of February 1988!

No Skytrain and only one freeway that and that was from Dindaeng to Bangna!

Buses belching black smoke everywhere, maybe 10 buildings over 10 stories with all of Sukumvit from Bantadtong to Bangna shophouses!

I have lived in Thailand now for 8 years, I have been back to the UK twice for a total of 24 days in that time.

I have done 7 back to back extensions using marriage in that time.

Won't ever go back to the UK to live as my life here is much better in terms of quality.

The only down side, at the moment, is watching the southward spiral of the exchange rate as I am sure other UK ex-pats would agree.

I was here in 91 and for the life of me i cant remember the baht being at 24.i cant actually remember what it was but it was over 24.Mind you i'm speaking about 1991,maybe the op is referring to !891.biggrin.png

I first came in 1991, the baht to pound was 38

This is my 16th year here. I came here recovering from a nervous breakdown from a stressful desk job in England aged 29. I haven't been out the country for more than 2 nights ever since then. Even though there's been some savage times, the good well outweighs the bad.

Bloody love it.

Edited by justaphase

Been here 11 years now – 5 on Phuket, 6 in Chiang Mai – and on the whole it's been pretty good, often frustrating but generally a great retirement experience.

Sadly, I will have to return to the UK next year along with Thai wife and 7 year old.

Early retirement meant a not very big pension and even with the UK state pension, factors such as private school fees and healthcare in advancing years (no health cover) are proving more and more difficult, even before the plunging pound.

Not looking forward to returning to all the uncertainty and gloom, let alone the weather, but being closer to family and old friends will be some compensation,

as will the hills and glens of Bonnie Scotland!

Edited by awayego