Got a problem? Keep it here on 191, say Thai police

webfact

Why not make it 999 easier to remember and dial.

regards worgeordie

Easier to remember if you're from the UK, for sure. Slower to dial than 911 or 112, which I believe is the internationally recognised emergency number on mobiles,

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/112_(emergency_telephone_number)

Although who dials anything any more?

Edited by mikosan

I am from the US and I agree that the US customary system of measurement is antiquated and I don't understand why the US sees the need to hold onto it. I was taught the metric system in elementary school and other than miles, I use the metric system exclusively. I know how far a kilometer is and have no problem using it but dealing with others in the US, miles are the only long distance measurement understood. The scientific, medical and industrial fields have all went to the metric system. There may be a few examples you can find on the internet where that is not the case but I assure you all professionals in the above mentioned fields are using the metric system.

"Chief Panurat Lakbun said that there was no truth to rumors circulating that the number was going to change. In fact anyone suggesting such a thing could face a long jail term."

Funny that, guess they better prepare the cells as there have been several announcements by no other then the government it will be changed to 911. Another instance of the right hand doesn't know what the left is doing. One example below. Bunch of idiots in charge. smile.png Lots of articles in the media on this last year.

Thais will soon dial 911 as the new and single national emergency numbers

Well it does raise the question as to why is the number not standardized worldwide. However threatening people with a long jail term for just discussing it is way over the top draconian suppression and intimidation. Long past due for the Thai people to rise up against this sort of stupidity. Otherwise Thailand must be prepared to enter the new dark ages under a never ending military rule.

Getting real close to exit time, me thinks.

Congratulations on overcoming the koolaid addiction.

"Uhh, so what're you in for?"

"Well, I thought the emergency no. was 9-1-1."

"Lol. No, really. What'd you do. Ya' got caught playin' bridge, right?"

"Nope. 'Told somebody to call 9-1-1, and the judge dropped a nickel on me!"

"Gee. I stabbed my gf, and only got two."

Well it does raise the question as to why is the number not standardized worldwide. However threatening people with a long jail term for just discussing it is way over the top draconian suppression and intimidation. Long past due for the Thai people to rise up against this sort of stupidity. Otherwise Thailand must be prepared to enter the new dark ages under a never ending military rule.

Why take the Example of the US in Europe its different all together.. why always follow the US when they don't even follow the rest of the world and go metric.

That's only because the US had to have their own version of English and going metric with the rest of the world would be tantamount to conceeding defeat. Unfortunately the confusion that even dicussing the numbers would cause enough a problem in Thailand to be a crime is simply another kind of admission if you think about how easy it might be to screw up the emegency system by rearranging the combination of three numbers. It might take precious time to get the right combination, but after a few years I'm happy learning there is one.

My only concern is what the language choices are and after some experience with the tourist hot line, how long it might take before someone comprehends..

Panurat said that confusing the public and creating problems for those in distress by suggesting a new number could lead to a prison term of 5 years or a fine of 500,000 baht or both.

Phuket Gazette - November 26, 2015

Thailand has officially adopted 911 as its emergency hotline number, confirmed Phuket Governor Chamroen Tipayapongtada.

The decision to implement the emergency number was due to tourists' familiarity with the 911 hotline number already, prompting several other countries to implement its use as well.

“The Cabinet approved the use of the number months ago,” said Governor Chamroen. “For some reason, the public relations campaign never really took off. Therefore, I felt the need to make the announcement that everyone can now dial 911 for emergencies, 24 hours a day.”

So are the police going to send Phuket's governor to jail?

What of his comment in the Gazette article saying the 911 number had been approved by the Thai Cabinet?

And that article was almost a year ago. Wonder what happens today if someone tries to dial 911, in Phuket or elsewhere?"

It's not like the notion of Thailand using 911 just got dreamed up out of nowhere...

This thread and all its numbers is giving me a headache!!!

regards worgeordie

Yes, wasn't there some advertised lesson on how to do this in a dark or smoke filled room with the old rotary dialer.?

Struggling with the mentality of threatening people with large fines and 5 years in jail for simply telling people the wrong number, when a thief can get a small fine for robbing and assaulting a tourist.

Edited by jacko45k

regards worgeordie

Yes, wasn't there some advertised lesson on how to do this in a dark or smoke filled room with the old rotary dialer.?

Struggling with the mentality of threatening people with large fines and 5 years in jail for simply telling people the wrong number, when a thief can get a small fine for robbing and assaulting a tourist.

Yes, the reason for 999 was the old rotary dial had a metal clip at the bottom under number 9 so the idea was in low or no light etc. a caller need only feel for the clip and 9 was there.

regards worgeordie

Yes, the reason for 999 was the old rotary dial had a metal clip at the bottom under number 9 so the idea was in low or no light etc. a caller need only feel for the clip and 9 was there.

Actually you had to move one over as the zero was there.

regards worgeordie

Actually you had to move one over as the zero was there.

Apologies you are correct but the reasoning was sound.

Still having numbers at this day and age when practically all address books are digital makes no sense. Could simply be "emergency".

That would have to be converted to an IP address so little would be gained. What you type and what te network requires wouldnt make a difference

Still having numbers at this day and age when practically all address books are digital makes no sense. Could simply be "emergency".

That would have to be converted to an IP address so little would be gained. What you type and what te network requires wouldnt make a difference

Line is a good example of how it could work. Practically every online shop in Thailand has their Line ID and are far more likely to answer that than their desk phone which no one is manning. I seem to remember the police here actually had one at some time, but ran into the "friend limit".

Why take the Example of the US in Europe its different all together.. why always follow the US when they don't even follow the rest of the world and go metric.

Another display of European arrogance and anti American bias.

The 911 concept was first used in Canada for the Winnipeg police services. It replaced 999 and was selected based upon US studies that showed 911 was easiest to remember and to dial without error. Despite European assumptions, North America was where the concept of central dispatching and combined first responder practice was developed. Ever hear of something called Paramedics? That was pioneered in North America too. You know the strategy of stoop and scoop for trauma victims? North American concept. It's the rest of the world that is lagging behind.

Why go off on a tangent about metric? Metric and emergency dispatch have nothing in common. And fyi, high tech industry in the USA uses metric, especially where exports are key.

" And fyi, high tech industry in the USA uses metric, especially where exports are key."

And, I think this is odd. I had parts made by machinists in Thailand. I had them made by three different shops. None of them used the metric system for measurement.

I also spoke to an engineer at a machine shop that made specialized electronic boards requiring very exact measurements. All measurements are non metric, down to hundreds of thousandth of an inch.

Now, back to our currently schedule forum topic!

ฺBring back the ABC's I say...then the man at the top can have emergency etc. spelled in his name....I mean who's going to forget ah..um..you know, 'whats his name' Yep showing my age too eh?

• 4 weeks later...