Governor moves for Phuket light rail project to start in 2017

snoop1130

Governor moves for Phuket light rail project to start in 2017
The Phuket News

post-249866-0-15178400-1469532846_thumb.

PHUKET:-- Phuket Governor Chamroen Tipayapongtada is moving to get construction of the Phuket light rail project started as soon as next year to relieve the island’s traffic woes and boost its tourism for the future.

The announcement from Gov Chamroen came yesterday (July 25) when he presided over a meeting with a committee in charge of organising Phuket’s traffic.

Also in attendance at the meeting were Vice Governor Khajornkiet Rakpanichmanee; Phuket Highways Office Director Patiwetwutisak Sukkhee and other officials.

During the meeting, a representative from the Office of Transport and Traffic Policy and Planing (OTP) explained to officials details of the construction plan for the Phuket light rail which has been designed by the OTP.

Full Story: http://www.thephuketnews.com/governor-moves-for-phuket-light-rail-project-to-start-in-2017-58410.php#MKRu8FokLJJlK9fu.97

tpn.jpg
-- Phuket News 2016-07-26

Will be interesting to see how much opposition there is from the current public transport "operators" if you can call them that. Maybe each train could be driven by a tuk-tuk driver with baht bus staff as guards to retain the unique Phuket experience!

Imagine the traffic problems in the medium term: Chalong Underpass, Bangku Underpass, Airport Underpass, Thapkasattri Road flyovers, extra tour buses and a light rail system.

I envisage practically total gridlock on the island as the few routes not affected by construction are filled with vehicles avoiding the roadworks.

PUT THE DAMN THING DOWN THE OTHER SIDE OF THE ISLAND YOU IDIOT

Errrrr- west side hilly, middle bit route not hilly- its called geography.

"its called geography." - it's called, saying Phuket has a rail system, which doesn't actually serve anyone.

Yes, a public transport system is badly needed along the west coast linking the tourist towns/beaches.

But, a rail link is impossible there without putting tunnels through every hill and headland.

This doesn't negate the fact that a transport system is greatly needed through the residential corridors on the east side of the hills.

I don't know how reasonable people can dismiss plans for a rail link from the border, via the airport, down the main highway linking the Capital city and the very populated southern part of the Island, just because it doesn't include the difficult parts of the Island at this stage!

While I am one who doesn't agree light rail is the best solution, it is a start, and infinitely better than the nothing that is in place now!

Those who have decided it must be on the western side, or not at all, are being very shortsighted in my opinion.

I can envisage mini bus links from places like Central or Chalong Stations ferrying tourists over the hills to their final destination a lot easier and cheaper than getting a taxi all the way from the airport. Over time It could potentially break down the mafia stranglehold on tourist transport.