No one hurt in fire at Major Cineplex Pinklao, police say

webfact

No one hurt in fire at Major Cineplex Pinklao, police say

By Teeranai Charuvastra, Staff Reporter

mvv.jpg

A fire burns at Major Cineplex Pinklao on Thursday morning. Photo: @Marian_plum

BANGKOK A fire was burning at a large cinema complex on Bangkoks Thonburi side this morning.

Police said no one was injured in the blaze at Major Cineplex Pinklao, as the cinemas were not yet opened when the fire started.

Full story: http://www.khaosodenglish.com/news/crimecourtscalamity/calamity/2016/07/28/western-bangkoks-major-cineplex-fire/

kse.png

-- Khaosod English 2016-07-28

Fire breaks out in theater at Major Cineplex Pinklao, one injured
By Coconuts Bangkok

fire1_1.jpg
Photo: @Marian_plum/ FM91

BANGKOK: -- A fire broke out inside a theater at Major Cineplex Pinklao around 11:45am today causing a large cloud of smoke outside the building. One person was injured in the accidental blaze.

The fire reportedly started in theater No. 8, on the third floor of the building. FM91 reported that the source of the fire was the light sign inside the theater, which malfunctioned and set the nearby carpet on fire.

The building was immediately evacuated. One person was injured in the incident and sent to the hospital, according to Post Today.

Full story: http://bangkok.coconuts.co/2016/07/28/fire-breaks-out-theater-major-cineplex-pinklao-one-injured

cocon.jpg
-- Coconuts Bangkok 2016-07-28

Huge fire at Major Cineplex Pinklao

684.jpg

BANGKOK: -- A fire broke out at Major Cineplex Pinklao forcing the immediate evacuation of hundreds of cinema goers and shoppers from the cinemas and cars from the car park of the high rise shopping complex.

Several people are stranded at higher floors when the fire started at a cinema on the third floor.

Several fire trucks were rushed in to fight the fire but by noon the fire is still raging and uncontrollable.

The fire was first spotted at 11 am in the third floor of the high rise Pinklao shopping complex where cinema theatres of Major Cineplex located.

The fire was raging to higher floors of the 7-storey shopping complex.

Several people were reported to be stranded at higher floors, many were suffocated.

Traffic at the area was jammed and now traffic police have sealed the Pinklao road to facilitate fire fighters to work.

By 13.00pm, the fire is still raging uncontrollable.

Source: http://englishnews.thaipbs.or.th/huge-fire-major-cineplex-pinklao/

thaipbs_logo.jpg
-- Thai PBS 2016-07-28

Very sad for those who were trapped and suffocated. Definitely a terrifying way to die.

I can only assume that there is no sprinkler system in this building for the fire to rage out of control and climb up several floors. When will Thailand ever enforce safety standards??

Very sad for those who were trapped and suffocated. Definitely a terrifying way to die.

I can only assume that there is no sprinkler system in this building for the fire to rage out of control and climb up several floors. When will Thailand ever enforce safety standards??

Emergency fire doors to the roof?

Read the article. No one was killed.

The first article says nobody was killed but the second said people "suffocated" which means they died. That's what "suffocated" means.

The first article says nobody was killed but the second said people "suffocated" which means they died. That's what "suffocated" means.

It will take many hours after the fire is put out to get the really death count. Sad for families.

Went to see a movie at Terminal 21 in Cinema 4 on Sunday 24 July.

All the EXIT light indicator were turned OFF. .

When I when out after the show in the exit tunnels , a lot side passages are blocked by advertising panels to prevent people to go back in the entrance section. I guess in case of panic it would cause some problem with evacuation.

I hope this never happen over there.

Edited by cnx355

Roof already collapsed, and one report says they are trying to reopen soon......blink.pngbah.gifsad.png

https://www.facebook.com/sharer/sharer.php?u=https%3A%2F%2Fwww.facebook.com%2FThaiPBSFan%2Fvideos%2F10157294748310085%2F&display=popup&ref=plugin&src=video

Cause of the fire was signboard shortcircuted inside and fall on carpet. I am not sure why no fire extinguisher used ?

Thanks God, it is not movie show time, especially in the evening with full of people. wai2.gifwai2.gifwai2.gif

Never it cost moola sheckles bahts dinero. If they operated at Western standards they have to double and triple prices. Incoming OK outgoing well no.

Never it cost moola sheckles bahts dinero. If they operated at Western standards they have to double and triple prices. Incoming OK outgoing well no.

True if they implemented all of them.

However, fire retardant materials and adequate fire escapes are not ridiculously expensive.

Neither are alarms come to that!

The Khaosod article dated shortly after noon has the police official saying the fire was contained at that point.

The subsequent news reports from 1 pm or later refer to the file being not contained and still raging.

Anyone know which version is accurate?

"Anyone know which version is accurate?".

Accuracy in reporting relies on several factors.

Reporting from the scene

Verification of the facts from a qualified police, fire or other official

Timeliness and updates as they happen

...an much more, of course

Unless a TVF member is at the scene, and has unlimited access to the Police/Fire or Unified Command Centers (If such things exist here), then they are unlikely to know which is accurate.

"Police said no one was injured in the blaze at Major Cineplex Pinklao, as the cinemas were not yet opened when the fire started."

I love the ministry of misinformation. Police just can't keep traps shut until they might actually know something.....

The Khaosod article dated shortly after noon has the police official saying the fire was contained at that point.

The subsequent news reports from 1 pm or later refer to the file being not contained and still raging.

Reporting from the scene

Unless a TVF member is at the scene, and has unlimited access to the Police/Fire or Unified Command Centers (If such things exist here), then they are unlikely to know which is accurate.

Well, watching any live Thai TV new coverage of the blaze that might have been occurring (or not) would be one way to get a pretty good idea, notwithstanding your comments.

Ok, now we can compare which news agency bothers to get it right. KhaoSod seems to be the winner with: "the cinemas were not yet opened when the fire started". I only learned of the fire from here, drove by 3:30pm and noticed nothing out of the ordinary.

Went to see a movie at Terminal 21 in Cinema 4 on Sunday 24 July.

All the EXIT light indicator were turned OFF. .

When I when out after the show in the exit tunnels , a lot side passages are blocked by advertising panels to prevent people to go back in the entrance section. I guess in case of panic it would cause some problem with evacuation.

I hope this never happen over there.

Terminal 21 hu???

I noticed this morning a Terminal 21 deadtrap is under construction in Pattaya with Bauer borepiling on the job this one must be going to be higher than 7-floors Pinklao complex.

Up to 11-floor can pile drive 11-floor and higher must borepile to the underlying sand plate. Familiar with Bauer they were first in Thailand to bore pile Soi Ekamai Thaiping Towers high-rise condo. After Thaiping Towers Chatri Sophanpanich of Bangkok Bank could not be outdone so he made Bangkok Bank HQ a couple floors higher, of course by now 2016 he is way outdone with towers of 40 and more floors in Bangkok.

With Bangkok Bank being the highest the city Gov. was getting concerned about these high-rises so they came up with a building code of no higher than Bangkok Bank but I guess like everything else in Thailand that code was swept under the carpet.

LOL in LOS.

Read the article: Several people were reported to be stranded at higher floors, many were suffocated.

The BKK Post has an early afternoon web update saying that one firefighter was injured and two citizens received minor injuries from broken glass. No mention of any deaths or suffocations.

The update did mention that the firefighters had to use special equipment because the fire was generating "toxic gas" and was being fed by "inflammable" [sic] carpet flooring.

The update also says firefighters had to get out of the building around 1:30 pm "after the third and fourth storeys collapsed" in the areas of the cinemas -- though I'm not sure the part about storeys collapsing is an accurate statement. I think they mean areas of the building's roof collapsed.

The report also said the building had its own "fire distinguishing" system [ohh, for an actual English-speaking editor], but that the fire spread rapidly anyway.

Journalists in thailand often say that people are 'electrocuted' , when in fact they're alive and kicking, having been given an electric shock. Subtle difference!

Condolences to any victims, but until the fire is completely extinguished I doubt there will be an accurate toll.

Very clearly illustrates the need for fire escapes in LOS - especially populated places like hotels etc.

Yup and the need for good electricians and impregnated carpet in the cinema which won't burn.

But they saw the fire starting in the lightsign so why nobody stopped it? Was there no firedistuingisher or so? And where were the guards?

Reporting from the scene

How about my shareholder version.

Major Cineplex Group Company Secretary Miss Thitapat reports the fire starts at 11.30 hrs at Major Cineplex Pinklao in which the area was leased from Well Entertainment Part Limited. Fire was under control at 13:30hrs. The primary cause of the fire was due to an electrical short circuit. All the assets are insured and the company is operating as usual.

I know.... I know.... why the shareholder version doesn't care about how many people were injured or died, only cares about the $$$. Oh well... coffee1.gif

Here we go slueths already doing the blame game.

I do believe that is the reason for this forum. Isnt it always the case when something happens people will wonder why and talk about posibilities.

That is the reason for the comments section.

Or should we just accept what has been reported and leave it at that.

I.E. The fire is out.

The fire is still burning.

The fire is raging out of control.

You may be happy to believe its out, burning, raging, others will talk about it.