Officials inspect Chiang Mai market after complaints of overpriced mangosteen

webfact

Officials inspect Chiang Mai market after complaints of overpriced mangosteen

man.jpg

CHIANG MAI, 29 July 2016 (NNT) – The Provincial Commerce Office of Chiang Mai has dispatched inspectors to Muang Mai Market in response to complaints about overpriced fruit.

Inspectors have found two vendors selling mangosteens for 300-350 baht per kilogram. The shopkeepers claimed that their goods are of export quality. They have been ordered to submit supporting evidence of their production costs.

There were no other irregularities in the prices of mangosteen at other fruit shops. Mangosteen of assorted sizes normally wholesale for 60-70 baht per kilogram and retail for 80-150 baht per kilogram.

Muang Mai Market is a major food distribution center of Chiang Mai and is also one of the most frequently-visited places among tourists, particularly those arriving from China.

nntlogo.jpg
-- NNT 2016-07-29 footer_n.gif

Following the big Chinese take over of many fruits orchids all over the country sending the produce

lock stock and barrel to the billion + hungry customers for fruits that can grow in China, you get this

sharp spike across the board of most Thai fruits, and in some case 100-200% increase in the price,

and the government says nothing, afraid of big brother China.....

What the hell difference does it make. Free market means that if a vendor is stupid enough to sell overpriced fruit to equally stupid customers, it's their business. A smart shopper looks around, sees 350 THB fruit, says "Pang Maak Maak" and goes and buys it where its 150 THB. Individuals who overprice simply won't sell as much as though who sell at a reasonable price. But, it's probably the other sellers making the compliant. No doubt.

Green Grass | Green Grass

Jealous Cow | Jealous Cow.

Edited by connda

I remember the days -- less than 10 years ago -- when you would walk into Tesco and see huge displays of the various types of fruit as they came into season, and in some cases pay less than 10 baht a kilo but never more than in 25 or so. I wondered how it could be worth their while to grow, harvest, and transport fruit so cheaply, but now the opposite is true and the question swings the other way -- why have prices spiked so dramatically in the past few years?

Also agree with opinions saying it's up to the vendor what he wants to charge. If he thinks he can convince people to pay that much, let him try. I'd just chuckle and walk on.

Edited by Inn Between

I am the queen of fruits thus I should be high priced! ?

Now after the fact, tell us,..... was confession good for your soul???

It was just a humble piece of information for all the possums on this forum....?

I fail to see the problem. Charge what they want, it is up to the customers to make sure they are shopping wisely, so long as there is clearly marked prices for all users, I see zero moral/legal problems with these outrageously overpriced mangosteens..

• 2 weeks later...