New Site Feedback

Tech Doctor

46 minutes ago, SattaheapSea said:

300 users concurrently shouldn't be a big issue.  Think of e-bay, new york times and other sites, people across the globe access it and query million of items and let's Imagine that how much would be to suck their RAM and CPU.  

load balancing is very common for cloud service as the outrage doesn't show up all the time but otherwise it appears only a certain of time. I think you should've seen traffic flow from activity logs.  I am not saying Amazon Cloud hasn't got enough resources to provide TV forum.   It's because possibly something's wrong with the initial configurations.:coffee1: Or security provided by your Amazon is preventing us from interacting with DB or HTTP server(occasionally) like it keeps dropping every single PING package. 

I wonder if your team have installed and tested IPB on a separate server before  launching.

this morning my emoticon was empty and later on this afternoon it works.

Hi, we have always more than 300 users on the site, normally around 750-900 at peak times 1500.  The load issue is down to use rebuilding and indexing over 10million posts and 250k members and also trying to run the site as normal. We cannot use load balancing until this is finished and it wasn't supported on the old version of the forum.

Yes we had tested this three times as an upgrade and also have the French and Russian forums running on the same versions. All Vendors have said the configurations are fine too, including Amazon consultants as a verification.

Thank you for trying to suggest ways too.

TD

• Like 2

3 minutes ago, Tech Doctor said:

Please try now. Should be ok.

@Tech Doctor Good one! Sorted!! :thumbsup: I've also noticed that "Subscribe to the newsletter"  works for the first time since the upgrade - see attached

Might be a stupid question, but what differentiates THAT newsletter from the "new daily content" email that I've already mentioned to you - apart from the frequency of course!?

Capture9.JPG

1 minute ago, Tech Doctor said:

@VBF - Unknown ill be speaking to the other teams about this. I just deal with the forum to be honest. The might even have mistyped this as the daily newsletter should be the subscription.

TD

Thanks TD - I'll give it a try and report back in due course

10 minutes ago, MJCM said:

TD, which issue should be ok ?

Mine hasn't been solved as the "Clear Notification"button is gone ;)

@MJCM It appears to have changed - now you need to "View all notifications"  which takes you to the screen attached - with the orange button

Pressing that, clears notifications and takes you back to the Forum home page http://www.thaivisa.com/forum/

Capture10.JPG

Edited by VBF
Adding more data

27 minutes ago, Tech Doctor said:

Hi, we have always more than 300 users on the site, normally around 750-900 at peak times 1500.  The load issue is down to use rebuilding and indexing over 10million posts and 250k members and also trying to run the site as normal. We cannot use load balancing until this is finished and it wasn't supported on the old version of the forum.

Yes we had tested this three times as an upgrade and also have the French and Russian forums running on the same versions. All Vendors have said the configurations are fine too, including Amazon consultants as a verification.

Thank you for trying to suggest ways too.

TD

Okay... I got a real suggestion you can try!

From my past experiences, and if I/O is an issue, you can considerably alleviate the issue by temporarily turning off all or part of the Apache webserver access logs, especially additional custom logs that are maybe defined in the vhost file.

These logs use (waste) a huge part of I/O on high traffic sites, and usually there are 2 or more of them, on at httpd level, one at vhost level, and potentially more depending on settings.

If you are using Google analytics or another external traffic analysis tool, these access logs are redundant anyway.

I would only keep logging the Apache error log and other important logs such as suexec log and security log for example.

I'd still be interested in knowing hjow fast your I/O is before and after turning off the access logs.

Edited by manarak

Oh! My goodness what has happend to the site :(

I've been away for a while and come back to find the nice warm friendly site that was has turned into an in your face garish blinding white headache.   :w00t:

See there are lots of comments already about the new site so won't bother to add my own, I suppose we are stuck with it and have to get used to it. A bit like Microsoft and their "improved" upgrades.

I did notice that when viewing "new posts" (why are they called activity now?) the avatar and quote are from the last poster on that subject.

Is there a setting to get back to the old system where the "new posts" shows the avatar and quote of the original poster so I can see who posted and have an idea what the subject is?

At the moment seeing only the last poster reply does not help at what who the original poster was or what was the subject. :blink:

Off to get some aspirin :whistling:  

• Like 2

9 minutes ago, NancyL said:

Yeah, maybe that's another reason why it seems the traffic is way down on the site.  You get a migraine looking at the glaring white background.  Any way to "fix" that?

Turn the brightness down on your monitor?

Wow a New one @Tech Doctor using Thaivisa crashed computer.

The upgrade must have gone really bad ! :whistling:

@Scotwight

What was the error message you got ? Blue Screen ? What were the Numbers on the screen ? Memory Error ?

Os you are using ?

Edit: In this link can you find the same error message you got ??

https://www.google.co.th/search?newwindow=1&complete=0&biw=1120&bih=545&site=webhp&tbm=isch&sa=1&q=windows+blue+screen+examples&oq=windows+blue+screen+examples&gs_l=img.3...14412.17941.0.18219.0.0.0.0.0.0.0.0..0.0....0...1c.1.64.img..0.0.0.xDtkjvoaTuM

Edited by MJCM
  • Like 1

2 hours ago, SoiBiker said:

How helpful.  What's your recommendation for curing dandruff, the guillotine?

If you are using Chrome, there is an extension in the web store called "Care Your Eyes" that will let you customize web page color schemes on a per-site basis.  I've got it set to minty green for this site.

• Like 2

3 hours ago, NancyL said:

Yeah, maybe that's another reason why it seems the traffic is way down on the site.  You get a migraine looking at the glaring white background.  Any way to "fix" that?

I been using F.lux for years. It slowly makes your screen less bright as the sun sets and night arrives.

I've no idea how bright the old forum was - I've used F.lux for so long.

• Like 1

4 hours ago, attrayant said:

If you are using Chrome, there is an extension in the web store called "Care Your Eyes" that will let you customize web page color schemes on a per-site basis.  I've got it set to minty green for this site.

That's very useful information. I was thinking when reading an earlier post that simply turning down the monitor's general brightness is not very helpful if it then has to be turned up again when switching to another site. Your idea is the solution, at least for Chrome users.

What shade of white are other popular sites and application programs using to make this screen apparently so unacceptably glaring to some members? Incidentally, Windows Explorer (file manager), which I have often on my screen, uses the colour code #fcfcfc, which is only mnimally darker than Thaivisa's pure white of #ffffff.

#ffffff   telegraph.co.uk

#ffffff   guardian.co.uk

#ffffff   bbc.com/news

#ffffff   groups.google.com

#ffffff   facebook.com

#ffffff   twitter.com

#ffffff   Microsoft Word

#ffffff   Microsoft Excel

Thaivisa seems to be in good company.

Oops. I thought of looking through my list of attachments on Thaivisa, found a screenshot of a reply box I made on 2016-02-22 and see that the background colour was #ffffff.

18 hours ago, Beachcomber said:

Oh! My goodness what has happend to the site :(

I've been away for a while and come back to find the nice warm friendly site that was has turned into an in your face garish blinding white headache.   :w00t:

See there are lots of comments already about the new site so won't bother to add my own, I suppose we are stuck with it and have to get used to it. A bit like Microsoft and their "improved" upgrades.

I did notice that when viewing "new posts" (why are they called activity now?) the avatar and quote are from the last poster on that subject.

Is there a setting to get back to the old system where the "new posts" shows the avatar and quote of the original poster so I can see who posted and have an idea what the subject is?

At the moment seeing only the last poster reply does not help at what who the original poster was or what was the subject. :blink:

Off to get some aspirin :whistling:  

One poster said a few post ago it was/s difficult for the over 65's ...... so maybe depends on your age ? I am over 65 so guess the poster was right as I do find t a pain and now rarely use thiavisa anymore. 

Maybe try when they have done all the upgrades/moving finished........ when will that be ? s it still going on ?  guess will never find this again so may not see a reply........... on that subject have ticked 'Notify me of replies'  but where do I find this notification I wonder ?

Maybe there should be a meeting/class on how to use this new site ? even a full downloadable video on how to use ThaiVisa.

"Whitening" is very popular in Asia....TV is just keeping up with the times I guess...but not so sure they should regarding color theme.   I really don't want to load another browser extension just to prevent one site from giving me face burn.   P.S.  I doubt vampires will be using his site.

18 hours ago, JetsetBkk said:

I think you've got some reading to do - like the last 34 pages in this thread   post-35489-0-86494800-1455289589.gif

Yes but is there much point to it?  People complaining about the new site and offering suggestions but has anything actually improved or changed by any of the posts?

13 hours ago, SoiBiker said:

Recently treated myself to a bigger flatscreen monitor that took me quite a while to stet up with the correct color and brightness balance for my aging old eyes ;)

I do not want to go messing about with the settings each time just to come here.

Anyway by turning down the brightness I loose contrast so not much help there.

I still think it would be nice to have the avatar of the original poster when viewing new posts. There are some posters that are always interesting to read and it would be easier to see their latest new post if their avatar was shown instead if the avatar of the latest poster.

Going out to get some more aspirin  :D

19 minutes ago, Beachcomber said:

Yes but is there much point to it?  People complaining about the new site and offering suggestions but has anything actually improved or changed by any of the posts?

A lot, but as you didn't read the thread, you don't know of the improvements and changes that have been made. So....

11 hours ago, Maestro said:

That's very useful information. I was thinking when reading an earlier post that simply turning down the monitor's general brightness is not very helpful if it then has to be turned up again when switching to another site. Your idea is the solution, at least for Chrome users.

What shade of white are other popular sites and application programs using to make this screen apparently so unacceptably glaring to some members? Incidentally, Windows Explorer (file manager), which I have often on my screen, uses the colour code #fcfcfc, which is only mnimally darker than Thaivisa's pure white of #ffffff.

#ffffff   telegraph.co.uk

#ffffff   guardian.co.uk

#ffffff   bbc.com/news

#ffffff   groups.google.com

#ffffff   facebook.com

#ffffff   twitter.com

#ffffff   Microsoft Word

#ffffff   Microsoft Excel

Thaivisa seems to be in good company.

Oops. I thought of looking through my list of attachments on Thaivisa, found a screenshot of a reply box I made on 2016-02-22 and see that the background colour was #ffffff.

Based on a previous advice, I do use the "Care your Eyes" extension on this forum now, but the overall result, although less an injury to my eyes, is really ugly with large frames of white around topics and other screen elements. Yes, it makes the site (almost) bearable but it's still an eyesore which has driven me to visit much less often.

It's not only a matter of screen backgound color being #ffffff or anything less bright, it's also the overall amount of white color on the page, and the current forum theme makes this amount well beyond what's bearable. I do participate other fora using white backgrounds, but it's not as omnipresent as is it here now.

Not my only gripe about this new theme, the text density on screen has dropped dramatically, way too much empty space (hence white background...). It's not usable anymore in anything less than full-screen on my 19" 1024x768 monitor. In windowed mode, there are items missing (such as the "new contents" link).

How about the inverted/dark theme that was considered earlier? should we keep hope?

Edited by Lannig
Typos