New Site Feedback

Tech Doctor

On 8/20/2016 at 10:04 AM, VBF said:

@Tech Doctor Good one! Sorted!! :thumbsup: I've also noticed that "Subscribe to the newsletter"  works for the first time since the upgrade - see attached

Might be a stupid question, but what differentiates THAT newsletter from the "new daily content" email that I've already mentioned to you - apart from the frequency of course!?

Capture9.JPG

Hi @Tech Doctor  I said I'd let you know whether pressing this button and subscribing actually resulted in the daily email, as you thought it might. Having left it from Saturday afternoon until now and received no Daily email, it appears to either be what it purports to be (a weekly update that is not yet due) or  possibly the "subscribe" process doesn't do anything at all yet. I've obviously no way of knowing so live in hope that the daily update is slowly climbing your list!

Not "nagging" but I did say I'd update you.......:ermm:

1 hour ago, Tech Doctor said:

A slight increase in DB load, however its within acceptable levels, we are leaving it on unless anything major happens performance wise.

TD

I am not surprised about the increase in DB load as the APP on my iPad was taking forever to load the participated topics.

But one thing I am noticing is that I see more threads in the APP (my content) then I see in the Web version.

Regarding the background colour, I created the mage below, a rectangle of which half is the old background colour, pure white (#ffffff; rgb 255,255,255) and the old colour, 98.8% white (#fcfcfc; rgb 252 252,252). To be honest, I did not realise how much of difference it makes to the eyes until I saw them side by side, how glaring the 100% white is by comparison, although it affects me less because my spectacle lenses have a slight glare filter incorporated.

Hopefully, enough users of the software will recommend a change to the developers to make them change it.

background colour.jpg

1 minute ago, JetsetBkk said:

Have you tried F.lux?

@JetsetBkk I read up a little on F.Lux when you mentioned it last night. I've a way to go before i take the plunge but,as you're a user of it, I have 2 questions:

Does it affect all installed programs on a Windows 10 PC by default or is it customisable enough to set each one individually?

Dopes it uninstall painlessly from Windows if one doesn't like it (or will it sit quietly in the background and not interfere?)

@Maestro Really couldn't get on with that Chrome extension "Care your eyes" - doesn't seem as if it gives enough choices of "quiet" colour schemes for late at night. You think it's better than f.lux?

@Tech Doctor: Here's a perfect example of why allowing only one quote ruins the conversations in a thread:

black 1a.JPG

Maestro says: "That's very useful information."

What is and who was he talking to?

Are we supposed to click on the arrow, read the original post that he was referring to and then come back to this post?

Please go back to the original way of multiple nested quotes.

13 minutes ago, VBF said:

@JetsetBkk I read up a little on F.Lux when you mentioned it last night. I've a way to go before i take the plunge but,as you're a user of it, I have 2 questions:

Does it affect all installed programs on a Windows 10 PC by default or is it customisable enough to set each one individually?

Dopes it uninstall painlessly from Windows if one doesn't like it (or will it sit quietly in the background and not interfere?)

@Maestro Really couldn't get on with that Chrome extension "Care your eyes" - doesn't seem as if it gives enough choices of "quiet" colour schemes for late at night. You think it's better than f.lux?

F.lux affects the screen - so every program is affected. But, the System Tray icon has an option: "Disable for an hour". I rarely use it, even when watching videos of TV programs or films. You simply get used to the less bright screen. But when I have used the "Disable for one hour" option at night time, it is amazing how uncomfortably bright the screen is default_ohmy.png. But during the day it doesn't have much effect.

Flux Screenshot 16-08-22 23-31-07.jpg

"Does it uninstall painlessly from Windows if one doesn't like it." It's a program so naturally you can uninstall it.

18 minutes ago, JetsetBkk said:

F.lux affects the screen - so every program is affected. But, the System Tray icon has an option: "Disable for an hour". I rarely use it, even when watching videos of TV programs or films. You simply get used to the less bright screen. But when I have used the "Disable for one hour" option at night time, it is amazing how uncomfortably bright the screen is default_ohmy.png. But during the day it doesn't have much effect.

Flux Screenshot 16-08-22 23-31-07.jpg

"Does it uninstall painlessly from Windows if one doesn't like it." It's a program so naturally you can uninstall it.

Thank you.  @JetsetBkk  That screen shot is helpful. That final question really should have been"Does it uninstall CLEANLY"? I'm sure you've seen programs that leave all sorts of rubbish lying about after uninstall!

My research continues.....

Edited by VBF

56 minutes ago, JetsetBkk said:

@Tech Doctor: Here's a perfect example of why allowing only one quote ruins the conversations in a thread:

black 1a.JPG

Maestro says: "That's very useful information."

What is and who was he talking to?

Are we supposed to click on the arrow, read the original post that he was referring to and then come back to this post?

Please go back to the original way of multiple nested quotes.

Yes, when you want to see post which a quoted post in turn had quoted, you need to click on the backlink arrow in the quoted post.

No, there is no intention to go back to the ugly old system of multiple nested quotes, which messed up the display of the quotes when too many were included. Aside from that, increasingly more people are reading Thaivisa on mobile devices and it is extremely annoying to have to scroll down ten or more screens until finally arriving at the new post. However, with the new system of quoting only the new post being replied to, I – and others – need perhaps to get into the habit of making a short reference to what we are replying to, ie I should have started my post with "Your explanation about  «Care Your Eyes" is very useful...». Your post, for which I thank you, is serving me as a reminder.

Since people are mentioning F.Lux, and while not a perfect solution for the glare issue (a lower-contrast theme might be, as noted above), I thought I'd mention ClickMonitorDDC. This utility lets you adjust the screen brightness without having to use the monitor's buttons. I don't think I've found another utility that can do this. I combine it with AutoHotKey so that my RALT, RWIN, and MENU keys increase/decrease/reset the brightness level. Very useful for turning up the brightness while watching youtube etc., then quickly resetting to something less bright for general use.

4 hours ago, taotoo said:

Since people are mentioning F.Lux, and while not a perfect solution for the glare issue (a lower-contrast theme might be, as noted above), I thought I'd mention ClickMonitorDDC. This utility lets you adjust the screen brightness without having to use the monitor's buttons. I don't think I've found another utility that can do this. I combine it with AutoHotKey so that my RALT, RWIN, and MENU keys increase/decrease/reset the brightness level. Very useful for turning up the brightness while watching youtube etc., then quickly resetting to something less bright for general use.

Windows requires the use of two separate utilities to provide a simple function that us Mac users have enjoyed for years? Blimey. 

11 hours ago, Maestro said:

Regarding the background colour, I created the mage below, a rectangle of which half is the old background colour, pure white (#ffffff; rgb 255,255,255) and the old colour, 98.8% white (#fcfcfc; rgb 252 252,252). To be honest, I did not realise how much of difference it makes to the eyes until I saw them side by side, how glaring the 100% white is by comparison, although it affects me less because my spectacle lenses have a slight glare filter incorporated.

Hopefully, enough users of the software will recommend a change to the developers to make them change it.

background colour.jpg

Maybe i's just me but the rectangle looks all the same color - don't see any difference :blink: What am I missing?

8 hours ago, taotoo said:

NVIDIA Control Panel that come with the graphics card does the same thing. NVIDIA Control Panel!.jpg

But why should we have to change monitor settings for every site we visit?

Have been computing since the early days of Windows and never had to adjust a monitor once it was set up.  In fact most time I am happy with the auto adjust set up.

:)

3 hours ago, Beachcomber said:

Maybe i's just me but the rectangle looks all the same color - don't see any difference :blink: What am I missing?

But why should we have to change monitor settings for every site we visit?

Have been computing since the early days of Windows and never had to adjust a monitor once it was set up.  In fact most time I am happy with the auto adjust set up.

:)

@Beachcomber   The NVIDIA Control Panel will of course only help if you actually have an NVIDEA card, (I do and I tried it) however it's not quite the same as you need to keep on adjusting it for different scenarios/levels of brightness.

Whilst I certainly agree with you that these adjustments shouldn't be necessary (my history of computing is similar to yours) the fact is that at present it's helpful to save our eyes and make life easier. 

@Maestro suggested a plugin for Chrome. This is OK for those who use Chrome (I do) but whilst I tried it, I didn't find it as helpful as F.Lux and of course you then have the contrast switching between browsing and doing other things on the computer, WP, spread-sheeting, or whatever.

To @JetsetBkk I say thank you for your advice above - I tried F.Lux last night and when I retired at 2AM my eyes were far less tired than on previous occasions. I shall press on with it as there are several adjustments that one can make (as you know) to make it more useful By the way, F.Lux is now up to version 3.10 should you be interested. And to anyone who is interested, it's a very unintrusive little utility, very easily disabled if required.

@SoiBiker F.Lux also has the "Hotkeys" to adjust brightness from the keyboard - see attached 

F.Lux.JPG

Edited by VBF

13 hours ago, Maestro said:

Yes, when you want to see post which a quoted post in turn had quoted, you need to click on the backlink arrow in the quoted post.

No, there is no intention to go back to the ugly old system of multiple nested quotes, which messed up the display of the quotes when too many were included. Aside from that, increasingly more people are reading Thaivisa on mobile devices and it is extremely annoying to have to scroll down ten or more screens until finally arriving at the new post. However, with the new system of quoting only the new post being replied to, I – and others – need perhaps to get into the habit of making a short reference to what we are replying to, ie I should have started my post with "Your explanation about  «Care Your Eyes" is very useful...». Your post, for which I thank you, is serving me as a reminder.

Personally, I think it is annoying to have to summarize past posts.

But then there is the multiquote button, I suppose that's not so bad

Edited by manarak

3 minutes ago, thaibeachlovers said:

Arrrgggghhhh.I've had to relog on twice in the past 5 minutes. What's that about?

In the App or in the Web Version ?

The last time I had to login into the Webversion was just after the update, App version was just yesterday when they enabled it again.

I thought I was banned again this morning, had to log on twice..........:lol:

Some here still do NOT understand the site is still being re-constructed and will be TOLD when it is finished, until then have a little patience eh.....

This is a forum that costs YOU sod all......Just give folk time to sort it or l will come back and call you an old women.......:clap2:........:cheesy:

• Like 2

15 minutes ago, transam said:

I thought I was banned again this morning, had to log on twice..........:lol:

Some here still do NOT understand the site is still being re-constructed and will be TOLD when it is finished, until then have a little patience eh.....

This is a forum that costs YOU sod all......Just give folk time to sort it or l will come back and call you an old women.......:clap2:........:cheesy:

5555555. That must have been a temporary glitch as I have been online since 2am (very nasty storm here) and didn't have to login once.

6 hours ago, Beachcomber said:

NVIDIA Control Panel that come with the graphics card does the same thing. 

2 hours ago, VBF said:

F.Lux also has the "Hotkeys" to adjust brightness from the keyboard

AFAIK both of these can only adjust a brightness curve, not actually increase brightness over the display's current backlight setting. The utility I use actually adjusts the display's backlight.

3 hours ago, manarak said:

another thing I noted is that the switch to turn the WYSIWYG editor on and off has gone. Is it possible to have it back please?

The new forum software no longer uses the ancient BBCode but instead uses HTML. I see that the link "Source" has now been added to the toolbar of the reply box, atthe far left, to toggle between WYSIWIG and HTML.

22 minutes ago, Maestro said:

The new forum software no longer uses the ancient BBCode but instead uses HTML. I see that the link "Source" has now been added to the toolbar of the reply box, atthe far left, to toggle between WYSIWIG and HTML.

I can't see that button - maybe it is only visible to admins and/or mods