Embarassing Things Westerners Do

eldragon

• Replies 274
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Split the difference - somewhere in between on the clean

side of tasteful & you have  the Thai side of acceptable.......

Unfortunately - there are a lot about here that tasteless here is suddenly acceptable where they'd be shunned & excluded back home for the same behaviour....They just can't figure out why their calendar is empty......

Only - for some reason - it's suddenly justifiable here - they feel free to flaunt their rebellious disrespect (to a "lower/lesser" race)......

It's a good thing the Thai's are a tolerant people......Try (this crap) this in another country.......

5 hours ago, JJGreen said:

Ponytails on over 50s. creepy stuff

No. I had a ponytail once and got in an elavator one day and the only other person in it was a guy standing back against the wall and he commented, "Nice hair." Now THAT'S creepy.

On 8/6/2016 at 7:19 PM, SoiBiker said:

Agreed, it is sometimes funny to see the nonsense people post here.

The reason I think its embarrassing, though, is because this site is one of the first places people interested in Thailand will come across when they search for information online. What must they think of us expats when they read some of the moronic trash that this forum is full of?

Wouldn't that make it bad on them though for assuming TVF is different than any other forum out there?

Not sure why this thread has been dominated by clothing. Is the way people dress really that embarrassing? The only time it really bugs me is when I see people wearing things they'd never wear back home. Like fisherman's pants. Or anything that looks like something one would be better off sleeping in.

On 8/7/2016 at 4:45 PM, NanLaew said:

No. I had a ponytail once and got in an elavator one day and the only other person in it was a guy standing back against the wall and he commented, "Nice hair." Now THAT'S creepy.

No ponytail = no remark.....

Why would you want the back of your head to look like the southern end of a northbound horse ?

29 minutes ago, eldragon said:

Not sure why this thread has been dominated by clothing. Is the way people dress really that embarrassing? The only time it really bugs me is when I see people wearing things they'd never wear back home. Like fisherman's pants. Or anything that looks like something one would be better off sleeping in.

I guess it just goes back to the old saying of "you never get a second chance to make a good first impression".....

If somebody has a certain look people are going to automatically believe the other aspects of their life are reflected by what they see... 

If they're dressed like a slob - hooker - whatever, people are going to be guided by that without a word spoken......

Many opportunities missed......

35 minutes ago, pgrahmm said:

I guess it just goes back to the old saying of "you never get a second chance to make a good first impression".....

If somebody has a certain look people are going to automatically believe the other aspects of their life are reflected by what they see... 

If they're dressed like a slob - hooker - whatever, people are going to be guided by that without a word spoken......

But I don't care how someone dresses back home, so I don't feel embarrassed by it here, even if they look like a slob, hooker, etc. I mean, are we supposed to assume- as many Thais do- that all foreigners in Thailand are rich and classy?

Acting like everyone here is in the service industry is embarrassing. Making a scene when a Thai girl doesn't want to go Dutch is embarrassing. Dressing down in the wrong situation is embarrassing too. But cargo shorts in the middle of the day or even in a casual environment at night? I could care less.

•  
  •  

Closed minded people, maybe yes!  Perhaps that is just what some people with alternative dress or appearence are trying to avoid, poeple with a shallow basis of judgement.

5 minutes chatting with someone will give you a much much better idea of the person.

Try it sometime or 'Many opportunities missed' 

'Never judge a man by his shiny shoes'

Edited by rogeroc

So those guys in the cargo shorts and Chang vest are doing it to send a message?

Maybe. If the message is "I've given up".

Or the message could be "I can wear whatever I want here and the women still call me hamdsome"

On 8/2/2016 at 5:14 PM, thai3 said:

Wai ing those beneath them, looks ridiculous. Strutting along with a tattooed up bar girl looking like a mobile gold shop. Feeding soi dogs, why make a problem worse? Speaking Thai that they obviously picked up at bars and the dress thing, the cargo pants scruffs should be deported. 

So, by pretty much your own admission, you came here ill-advisedly thinking there might be people you could consider 'beneath you,' to more-or-less kick the least able to defend themselves (soi dogs and possibly children?), and resent those who are able to master barroom Thai and afford gold? Oh, and additionally, you want to deport people for wearing non-Thai3 approved leisure-wear?  You sir, are awesome. Let me guess, American?

So those guys in the cargo shorts and Chang vest are doing it to send a message?

•  

I simply do not see the problem with cargo shorts in a very hot climate and a vest is definitely better than a bare chest. My point was very simply that dress sense is not a good way to judge a character as long as it is within the bounds of acceptability in the host country.

Like this
  •  
I simply do not see the problem with cargo shorts in a very hot climate and a vest is definitely better than a bare chest. My point was very simply that dress sense is not a good way to judge a character as long as it is within the bounds of acceptability in the host country.

in some areas of Thailand for farangs a vest and cargo shorts is dressing up

12 minutes ago, rogeroc said:

•  
  •  

Who said anything about judging character?

The Thais don't dress like that round here.

They don't dress like that in Thong Lor area...of course not.
nor do they dress like that in the major malls or out with friends at night in bkk or anywhere in the better areas.
But they do dress like that by the millions in the outer suburbs and around their houses and sois in those areas

5 hours ago, SoiBiker said:

The Thais don't dress like that round here.

I'm almost positive that wherever you are at least some of them do. Point being foreigners in Thailand are just like Thais in Thailand. Some of em are fashionable and others aren't. The only argument that needs to be made about the way foreigners dress here is with regards to the ones that dress inappropriately in certain settings and seem to assume that b/c they're in a less developed nation that social norms don't apply. That is embarrassing.

11 hours ago, SoiBiker said:

Someone's about to tell me I don't live in the 'real' Thailand, aren't they?

I generally find you to be well-reasoned. However, on this particular thread, your contributions have me somewhat baffled. All of Thailand is real, so there can be no question that blanket statements of any kind are going to get you in a bit of trouble. Your inner voice (evidenced by your own anticipation of 'landmines') speaks truth on this occasion, I'm afraid.

23 hours ago, rogeroc said:

•  
  •  

Who said anything about judging character?

• On this subject i was initially responding to post 193
Edited by rogeroc