New form arriving at CNX airport

Artamus

I flew into Chiang Mai airport last night (from Malaysia), and upon arrival in the arrivals hall, all passengers were given an additional form to fill in (in addition to the standard arrival card given out on the plane). The form had a bunch of questions around please give your name, Thai address, permanent address, email address, phone contact, flight number of flight booked out etc etc. Caused a bit of pandemonium in the hall as it was given out just as people were going to the counters. I also saw several people turned back and shuttled off to a new "kiosk" at the side of the arrival hall (didn't know what was going on there as in the queue). Is this a new standard arrival procedure? 

Edited by Artamus

YES!  back to the topic.     About 2 months ago, 3 aircraft arrived at CNX within minutes of each other, all from overseas, mine from KUL.

We were also handed this form, which seemed to ask the same questions as the one handed out on the plane.    It was somewhat chaotic as no-one was prepared for this extra bit of paperwork, hunting for pens, a flat surface to write on, and hundreds of newly-arrived Chinese shouting and screaming at the Immigration desks.

I for one cannot see why this extra paperwork can't be given to passengers on the flight in, and avoid even more congestion and upheaval in the microscopic arrivals area.  It was never designed for 100s of passengers.

The female Immigration officer who slipped on heavy-duty headphones as she arrived at her desk had the right idea.

On 3 August 2016 at 8:38 PM, Chiengmaijoe said:

Look at how many new hotels and particularly boutique hotels/guesthouses there are, wouldn't that affect occupancy?. August is, like you said, a second  high season, and I don't know about elsewhere, but the night bazaar is very busy. If someone could back up their argument with facts or figures I might believe them.

Anyway,back on topic, plenty of threads related to tourism and it's current state.

Any more that can confirm "the form" is being given to everyone arriving at the international side of the airport or otherwise?

We have guests arriving next week some of whom neither read nor speak sufficient English to be able to complete it so we are trying to preempt that by doing it for them before they arrive.

I arrived back in CNX yesterday. No form required to be completed, just usual TM6.  Many Chinese nationals in front of me so I asked could I move to the Thai passport line as I did live in Chiang Mai, thought it worth a polite ask.. I was shown to the line no problem.  Very easy.

For those if you how fly in and out often, I'd just suggest obtaining a copy of the form to take home, my copies, and take a filled-out copy with you on your next trip.  Easy breezy.  Or even better, make an electronic copy and post it here so we can all download it for our next trip out and back in. 

13 minutes ago, connda said:

For those if you how fly in and out often, I'd just suggest obtaining a copy of the form to take home, my copies, and take a filled-out copy with you on your next trip.  Easy breezy.  Or even better, make an electronic copy and post it here so we can all download it for our next trip out and back in. 

http://www.nvtpattaya.org/nvtp/images/Handig/NVTP-2016-06-22-Foreign-National-Information-Formulier.pdf

3 hours ago, Lizard2010 said:

OMG

We are back to the forms on arrival again

Plus they want to issue all tourists with a new sim card

To keep track of them

For their safety

What will be next!!!

They'll make Pink ID cards compulsory, including the finger-printing that goes with it. Sure, plenty of people did this voluntarily, but they will want to get the fee-thinkers too.

On 8/5/2016 at 0:34 PM, Lizard2010 said:

OMG

We are back to the forms on arrival again

Plus they want to issue all tourists with a new sim card

To keep track of them

For their safety

What will be next!!!

Years back when we would go to Burma, they would send 1 soldier with each group to follow them day and night. He would sleep outside our hotel and literally follow us everywhere. He was always writing stuff down.

It was Burma so you dealt with it. However, no way I would live somewhere that did that. Hopefully, Thailand doesn't get an idea from their neighbor's history. 

27 minutes ago, dcnx said:

Years back when we would go to Burma, they would send 1 soldier with each group to follow them day and night. He would sleep outside our hotel and literally follow us everywhere. He was always writing stuff down.

It was Burma so you dealt with it. However, no way I would live somewhere that did that. Hopefully, Thailand doesn't get an idea from their neighbor's history. 

If that soldier thought you were up to things dubious , he would have you hauled into the police station.

I arrived back in CNX yesterday. No form required to be completed, just usual TM6.  Many Chinese nationals in front of me so I asked could I move to the Thai passport line as I did live in Chiang Mai, thought it worth a polite ask.. I was shown to the line no problem.  Very easy.

I usually travel with the Thai wife, who uses her Thai passport and the Thai passport line to enter at CNX Immigration. I felt I couldn't join her in that line, not being a Thai National. But when traveling with her, maybe I could.....? Any experience out here, akin to SCRH's post, above? (Only potential glitch, when trying the husband wifey thing, is that she kept her Thai name -- and probably waving our marriage certificate would be nonsensical.)

Sure would feel stupid wasting time queuing up at the Thai line, only to subsequently be shown the tail end of the Chinese hoard.