Buy A Condo for me, When Already Married!

Hi,

(Sorry for my english ^^ My english is so bad :p)

I would like married with a thai girl and in the future buy a condo.

I would like to know, If i'am married and buy a condo, it's 50/50 ? :'(

I would like buy condo my name and take 100% not 50 50.. It's possible when already married ?

Because I'am the man, We know it's only man put 100% money for buy.

I don't want give GF when I buy alone.

And other question, If I buy condo, and I have children's. We can put name children and my name for the condo ?

Thanks.

If you are married, your wife can claim half of what you buy during the marriage if you later divorce.

Your options are:

1. Buy it before you get married

2. Get a pre-nup

3. Put it in your child's name 

4. Get divorced. Buy the property. Then get remarried again.

5. Rent

Really no problem to buy a condo in your name. The law permits foreigners to buy and own condo. Only landed house you can't own. Say this from experience. Loan from local banks may be a problem. If buy cash like I do, really no issue and rather simple. The condo officer arranged every aspect of the documentation requirements for me.  

21 minutes ago, Eric Loh said:

Really no problem to buy a condo in your name. The law permits foreigners to buy and own condo. Only landed house you can't own. Say this from experience. Loan from local banks may be a problem. If buy cash like I do, really no issue and rather simple. The condo officer arranged every aspect of the documentation requirements for me.  

Just the small problem with a popular condo (in say BKK ) you can not buy if the farang ownership is up to 49% already.

I don't  quite see the point in you asking about putting it in the children's name.....so you have gone from asking if you can own it 100% to the idea of not even owning it......if you have children at a latter date------why not see if you can get an open (dated) sales clause, where if you decide to part latter----you can buy her out at x amount----she does deserve something for being your wife & (maybe) having your children.

Edited by oxo1947

Getting married or not depends of the culture, religion and... the will to show the loved one that the love is real. It's everyone's choice.

I wouldn't marry any more but let's people get their own experience ;)

But what I don't understand is people who plan to marry and already think about the divorce!

I hope some day you will love her enough not to want to exclude her from having benefits in marrying you. She must be sad to feel you are so set on trying to keep her life down rather than make it better. I would think the idea behind marriage is that you each try and help the other have a better life. 

If you cannot afford to give or cannot give gladly, then best not to give at all.

I built a house for my wife in her village. In her name. I did it because I wanted her to have her dream come true. I did not do it for my own personal marital security. She owes me nothing for it. If we were to split up tomorrow, I will still be happy that she has a nice home in her village. So far, I have lived here for 15 years. There is no guarantee in life that it will last forever, but I think you have a better chance of a happy marriage if you are concerned about your wife's happiness too.

Good luck. i hope it works well for both of you. 

You will own it 100%, unless you get married first and happen to divorce after. Then she can claim 50%.

If you think you may get divorced, don't bother getting married.

You will own it 100% forever if you buy it before you get married, or don't get married.

4 hours ago, chicowoodduck said:

Why would anyone with half a brain ever want to marry a Thai lady......????  Or for that matter ever want to get married???

I did 26 years ago and I have been happy with her ever since. It is THE BEST THING I HAVE DONE IN MY LIFE!!!! With all modesty, I think I have a full brain

hahahah

If you want to live in a badly designed shoe box, built by Burmese and be tied to a materialistic self obsessed ignorant woman go ahead.

It costs B100 to get a marriage licence and B100 to cancel one. No need to get stuck with the wrong woman. And it's far cheaper than renting one by the hour.

8 minutes ago, Snackbar said:

hahahah

If you want to live in a badly designed shoe box, built by Burmese and be tied to a materialistic self obsessed ignorant woman go ahead.

It costs B100 to get a marriage licence and B100 to cancel one. No need to get stuck with the wrong woman. And it's far cheaper than renting one by the hour.

not very often i hear someone say that. pretty sure most guys will agree like everything else in thailand it is cheaper to rent.

6 hours ago, DLang said:

You will own it 100%, unless you get married first and happen to divorce after. Then she can claim 50%.

If you think you may get divorced, don't bother getting married.

You will own it 100% forever if you buy it before you get married, or don't get married.

In America even if you buy before marriage she gets 1/2 of the appreciation realized while married. Is this true in Thailand as well?

14 hours ago, chicowoodduck said:

Why would anyone with half a brain ever want to marry a Thai lady......????  Or for that matter ever want to get married???

Because we have a full brain, half brained posters like you do not count.

If you want to own anything of substance solely, my advice is don't get married. With your attitude as night follows day, divorce will follow marriage. Stay single and buy your condo. Marriage is hard enough if you are both pulling in the same direction. It is impossible if you're not. Good luck.

12 hours ago, balo said:

Just rent and do not spend more money than necessary  , Easier to kick her out if things goes not as you planned.

or to move out yourself if she goes crazy and wont leave. one mate packed a bag and walked out without even looking at his girl. he hopped into my pickup without looking back. nice to have that option.

On 03/08/2016 at 7:11 AM, blackcab said:

If you are married, your wife can claim half of what you buy during the marriage if you later divorce.

I  cannot accept this statement at face value

If it can be proved that the money to buy the condo belonged to the husband prior to the marriage -then the condo is 100% his.-even if the money  was spent post marriage

If he has at some stage -signed his rights away-then the 50% rule with apply

Edited by Delight
Lacked clarity

2 hours ago, Delight said:

If it can be proved that the money to buy the condo belonged to the husband prior to the marriage -then the condo is 100% his.-even if the money  was spent post marriage

+1. Completely true.

• 2 weeks later...

Buy everything before you marry and both of you will be happier! Condo, house, furniture, car and pets! Afterwards get married.

Believe me you will stay happy with her for a long time without (money) problems! Good Luck!

On 8/3/2016 at 10:00 AM, PoorSucker said:

Buy in your wife's name, she will own 50% anyway.

It does not matter hwo is the owner, assets bought during marriage is spit 50/50 in case of divorce.

Does the wife own 50% even if the money used to buy the condo was earned while not married?

On 8/4/2016 at 5:18 PM, Delight said:

I think the same, 

So I can have a million dollars in the bank prior to marriage, and the wife cant touch it if divorced. But if if use that same money to buy a condo (proof it came from outside Thailand), then its half hers. I can understand assets "jointly" acquired during marriage, 50/50.

Is this one of those, someone at a bar told me, or has it actually happend to some posters ?