Great dining experience in Chiang Mai ?

Sandy Freckle

I took my sister to the restaurant across the big road from Promenada and she loved it. Nice decor and not some hole in the wall shophouse restaurant, but reasonable prices.

It's on the big road that passes Promenada if you are coming from C M. Drive over the Lampang  to C M superhighway and do a U turn at the crossroads.

• Replies 62
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

5 minutes ago, thaibeachlovers said:

I took my sister to the restaurant across the big road from Promenada and she loved it. Nice decor and not some hole in the wall shophouse restaurant, but reasonable prices.

It's on the big road that passes Promenada if you are coming from C M. Drive over the Lampang  to C M superhighway and do a U turn at the crossroads.

Interesting, presumably Thai food?

You should try dining at Galae sometime! Despite being a bit on the more expensie side the setting is really nice. It's located at the foot of Doi Suthep and sets a nice atmosphere with a nice view on a lake and the city and a ton of flowers. It's well known with Thai people and the place has been there since forever. They serve Thai food, and I think it's pretty good. Be sure to go a little bit early though (before 17:30) so you can enjoy the view. When it's dark there's not much to be seen :P

https://www.tripadvisor.com/Restaurant_Review-g293917-d3582740-Reviews-Galae_Restauant-Chiang_Mai.html
https://www.facebook.com/JaiPen9byGalae/

On 14 August 2016 at 8:43 AM, thaibeachlovers said:

Thanks for the tip I will give it a go.

"Suanpaak Hug Khun Restaurant" is a favourite with the family, although probably a little far out of the city if not mobile.

Located 6.8km from the Promenada Resort Mall along Highway 1317.

They have their own organic vegetable gardens, shade houses growing all types of salad vegetables.

Large menu with Thai and Western choices.

Review from an expat living in Chiang Mai on a travel advisory site from June 2016 copied as follows:

"This restaurant is situated out of town towards San Khamphaeng on the 1317, a short taxi ride. It classes itself as 'The Organic Salad House Steak & Thai Cuisine' and on first site looks like a new Thai style Wat (Temple)It is large restaurant with both an outdoors and an air conditioned indoors and includes a play area for the younger members of the family, a large covered area with waterfalls and a large display of plants, trees etc. Live music is played most nights. The menu is large both with Thai food and European style, the large spare ribs are a must to try although there is nothing on the menu that is not good, and the portions are large and many need two to share. If you want to split your meal between starters and main course then you might want to delay ordering your main course until you receive your starter. Like all Thai restaurants they bring the starers and mains all at the same time.

On busy nights, Fridays, Saturdays etc. it pays to book and they also are happy to arrange taxi transport to take you back to your hotel. You can find them on internet where they have many photos which gives you a good idea of what to expect.

Overall well worth a visit but don't expect to walk in and out quickly
."

Think that sums it up quite nicely from currently, my two dining experiences there.

15 hours ago, rogeroc said:

JJ's Trattoria on a side road just off the Chang Khlan Road Night bazaar does nice Italian food in an informal setting and unlimited wine for 299 baht

Unlimited wine for only 299 baht???  That must be the good stuff then!:w00t:  But some do say that after the first few glasses it all tastes the same.....  I'll stick to beer.

Lots of good little eating places all around Chang Khlan.

On 8/5/2016 at 1:46 AM, balo said:

I wish CM could offer the same range of western restaurants as Pattaya. In Pattaya I can have any authentic food run by Italian, French, Scandinavian or American owners. They look after their customers and make sure the quality is the same as they remember from back "home"  . But maybe it will get better in the future as more and more foreigners are moving in . 

Its does 

Try Norden for Scandanavian Very good I tried it recently 

Loads of Italian place I mean Loads 

French Try Marcos (very Good)  Loih Kroh and Le Crystal 

Join CM Eats facebook group they have write ups almost daily by customers of almost every food choice thousands of members that just eat and find good restaurants all over CM 

Really depends on what aspects of the meal and overall experience you value. There are so many variables - atmosphere, service, price, portion size, freshness, etc.

Anyway, some places I like:

Lum Lum at Meechok Plaza. The interior is quite plain, but the (Korean) food is great.

Ginger/The House by the moat. Why? Mainly because of the charmingly quirky interior design, and because they *sometimes* create amazing food. (Other times have been minor disasters though, but I still go now and then because I like the atmosphere and because I still remember the times where they did get the food right). Not cheap.

Pun Pun on the Hang Dong road (driving from the Airport Plaza intersection towards Hang Dong, look out for the Michelin Man and turn into the next small soi. Pun Pun is on your left). Reason it makes my list: their organic vegetables are the most flavourful and fresh of any restaurant in CM. So if you enjoy the taste of really fresh vegetables (many people don't, or drown them in dressing), this is a good place to try.

Lapin. French/Mediterranean style (and possibly a few fusion dishes, can't quite remember). Located near Nawarat Bridge. Not cheap, semi-fancy image. Good food.

Huean Soontari - Northern Thai and Thai food with Northern Thai guitar songs a la Jaran Manopet. Mainly for the nice atmosphere by the river, and the local connection - food ok but not fantastic.

Recently while out of the country I watched on TV, a repeat episode of Anthony Bordain's - "No Reservation"...., although I did not see the exact episode..., the show created me to recall a friend making mention of an episode wherein AB was quite gushy about a local lady who operates a cart at an afternoon/evening food market beside the moat. Apparently she wears a straw 'cowboyesque' hat and the dish AB was all gobby about was some type of pig product dish. Apparently she is a bit of a character and so of course became somewhat popular..., with many people choosing to stopp in bad places etc etc. 
When I'm 'in country' I stay not far from there and was wondering about her and her food and whether or not it was worth taking a walk for some takeaway from the straw hatted pig woman etc etc
My question; If you have tried her food..., how do you rate it and the whole experience buying from her etc ?

Edited by Sandy Freckle

52 minutes ago, Trujillo said:

I remember that thread and people as I recall did not rate it very impressive. 

Any place in Chiang Mai to get Middle Eastern food, like Egyptian or Lebanese? 

Check out mealsonwheels4u.com, they have 4 Middle Eastern restaurants

listed,if the are open, red clock, you will be able to check out their menus ,

and see if they have anything you fancy.then visit or have delivery.

regards worgeordie

• 3 months later...

Regarding woman in a cowboy hat:

The dish she sells is khao khaa moo (pork leg over rice), and she does it well; as well as any khao khaa moo I have ever had. Interestingly, an old guy a couple of stalls away does an equally good one, if you would like to compare. However, it is a food stall, and a no-bells-and-whistles dish, so base your expectations around that, rather than thinking it must be magic because it was included by Bourdain in his show.

My addition to the list would be:

My Vietnamese Restaurant which is at the far end of Huay Kaew road just past the gate to CMU on the right... Google: ร้านอาหารมายเวียดนาม

Huen Phen inside the moat - They have two dining rooms serving northern Thai - The afternoon room is great basic and the evening is a wonderful space but can be crowded as it is much smaller. 

And for afternoon Khao Soy there is this place just past Rimping on the river... Basic cheap noodles but a great spot on the river!  Google: ก๋วยเตี๋ยวห้อยขา ริมปิง

And for basic Thai we like the Tesco Food Court next to Kamtiem... They have a killer view of Doi Suthep

Oh and if your partner is like mine and need a bi-weekly Somtam fix try Somtam Udon in the Santhium area... (they have an easy menu that is in english)

12 hours ago, weary said:

Regarding woman in a cowboy hat:

The dish she sells is khao khaa moo (pork leg over rice), and she does it well; as well as any khao khaa moo I have ever had. Interestingly, an old guy a couple of stalls away does an equally good one, if you would like to compare. However, it is a food stall, and a no-bells-and-whistles dish, so base your expectations around that, rather than thinking it must be magic because it was included by Bourdain in his show.

I found it deliciously ironic seeing her serving customers at her street cart.., while relatively dressed up and resplendent or adorned in war paint, jewellery and her 'trade mark' straw cowboy hat. etc.  

Edited by Sandy Freckle

9 hours ago, sfokevin said:

My addition to the list would be:

My Vietnamese Restaurant which is at the far end of Huay Kaew road just past the gate to CMU on the right... Google: ร้านอาหารมายเวียดนาม

Huen Phen inside the moat - They have two dining rooms serving northern Thai - The afternoon room is great basic and the evening is a wonderful space but can be crowded as it is much smaller. 

And for afternoon Khao Soy there is this place just past Rimping on the river... Basic cheap noodles but a great spot on the river!  Google: ก๋วยเตี๋ยวห้อยขา ริมปิง

And for basic Thai we like the Tesco Food Court next to Kamtiem... They have a killer view of Doi Suthep

Oh and if your partner is like mine and need a bi-weekly Somtam fix try Somtam Udon in the Santhium area... (they have an easy menu that is in english)

Excellent additional info..., thanks.

I have tried a lot of restaurants here, not that many stand out. A lot of Thai dishes are delicious, and some places make the dish better than other places, but rarely is there a restaurant that is all around good.

If you want the best dishes, the best is to buy at the various food markets or street kitchens, there you have people specializing in a few things rather than a big menu with “Thai and Western food” meant to appeal to a broad audience.

Furthermore, a lot of the Chiang Mai “native” food is also not that appealing to me. Apart from Sai Ua, noodle soup, and khao soy, there is little Chiang Mai food I see anyone besides the locals eat.

The best food is definitely down south.

With that disclaimer, below is a list of kitchens that I find myself return to when in Chiang Mai.

For the scenery:

• Le Grand Lanna at Dhara Dhevi, not cheap but a great overall experience. If going for lunch, there is also a cake buffet at the resort opening in weekends.
  • Galae Restaurant, up the mountain (Suthep Road). Lots of beautiful flowers, but food is of average quality, though the Tom Kha Gai was pretty good (galangal root soup with chicken).
  • Palaad Tawanron, further up the mountain (behind the zoo), food is better than Galae (last I was there), but not the same flower extravagance.
  • Samsen Villa, riverside next to Rim Ping condominium. Here I recommend the Gang-som Gung Cha’om Taut (sour curry soup with shrimps and omelet made from cha’om (vegetable with a very potent taste) cut into pieces).
  • Huay Tung Tao Lake, this is north of Chiang Mai and offers an escape from the city. I believe the classical thing to order here is Gung Dten (dancing shrimps) which is a bowl of small (living) shrimps in a curry paste. You shake the bowl (with the lid on) to marinate the shrimps (or make them dance).

For the food:

• Mix Restaurant & Bar, Nimmenhaemin Soi 1. This is fusion food, and some dishes are better than others. The curry with bamboo sprouts is my favorite (I forget the exact name).
  • The Whole Earth, Sridonchai Road. I generally avoid seafood in Chiang Mai, but this is where I go for bpla taut (fried fish).

Snacks:

• Pun-pao steamed buns (sala bao) corner of first alley north of Suan Dok Gate, inside the moat. You can find steamed buns many places, but this shop has a big selection of stuffings.
  • Love at First Bite, north of Rimping Nawarat. This is a (Western) desert place.

Isaan food:

• Khrua Wiang Bua at Wiang Bua Road north of Thanin Market.
  • Somtam Udon on Soi Tantawan, pretty much directly west of the above, before the Super Highway.

Street food:

• Moo Bing (grilled pork) at the Warorot evening market. There are no table and chairs, so this is strictly for take-home and is very delicious, but there are more than one stall selling grilled meat, unsure if the good one has a name.
  • Kanomjeen sanpakoi (ขนมจีนสันป่าข่อย), the evening food market east of Rimping Nawarat just before the San-pa-khoi market. The red curry is my favorite.
  • Khao Kha Moo at the food market north of Chang Phueak Gate (ข้าวขาหมูช้างเผือก). This has been mentioned many other places, and therefore it is now rather crowded with tourists and may ruin the street food experience a little. The best Khao Kha Moo I’ve had is at Talat Nad which is just after the bridge going from Holiday Inn and toward the city. But this market is only Tuesday and Thursday afternoons, and the Khao Kha Moo there is only for take-home.

Go south Chang Klan Road until reach the river. Just after the turn there's Baan Rim Nam Restaurant. Further down another 1 km there's the newer Tha Nam Restaurant.

Riverside dining. Serve Thai cuisine. Live Thai pop music. Early evening is usually local family crowd. Inexpensive. The place i host dinner for visitors from home country and so far all liked it.

If u have dined here, forget about Good View @ Riverside. Too crowded and noisy. Go to Goodview @ Mae Hia.

Sent from my iPhone using Thaivisa Connect