noise and screechy voices

overherebc

Got a couple of expat neighbours who have girl friends from N E staying with them.

What is the the thing about loud high pitched voices, 20/30 plus, age, and when they get together it seems to be a competition around who can shout and squeal the loudest.

I just can't get my head around why anyone would think it's normal to make so much noise,( empty vessels ? ).

Luckily it's only about once a month.

standard procedure, drives me nuts  too, not  limited to Thais, Italians get excited too but  without so much screeching, for them its "normal" but then  everyone thinks  they are "normal"

Edited by kannot

22 hours ago, kannot said:

standard procedure, drives me nuts  too, not  limited to Thais, Italians get excited too but  without so much screeching, for them its "normal" but then  everyone thinks  they are "normal"

OP, I can really relate to this.

Kindly add the Spanish to your list.

Groups of them all seem to talk at the same time and get louder and louder, I wonder who is listening.

When I first rented an apartment in Spain, there was a central open area surrounded by buildings with  all the apartments having windows to this area.

The natural level of people noise was high, children, babies, couples, occasional couples having a fight or scolding children, kitchen sounds etc.

I was shocked.

However, there and then I new that this racket would be the norm and I decided to accept it and not to resist it.

Amazingly, once I had done this, it never bothered me again.

I now live half time in Thailand and Spain, always summer time for me and my wife.

Remember when you first arrive in a country where you cannot speak the language and people talking are just making noise?

After a while and you begin to learn their language, that noise changes and becomes information that you can start to understand.

For me at least, the screechyness tends to disappear with increased language skills.

I hope you can also find the right switch in your brain that allows you to de-sensitise, accept and ignore this irritation.

Good luck.

Edited by laislica
Forgot to mention dogs barking.

2 hours ago, Suradit69 said:

Cherish the other 29 to 30 days each month.

Yeah, go out for a night,  you need to,  for at least one night a month anyway.... sitting at home all month is not good for anyone,,   and keep your finger crossed the guys don't marry them !!! :D 

2 hours ago, doctormann said:

A few of my wife's friends are incredibly loud and screechy, especially after they've had a few drinks.

I do find it pretty irritating at times - they need to be fitted with a volume control, or maybe an off-switch!

DM

If you find someone to fit the volume control  PLEASE tell me  :w00t:

Nope I don't. I enjoy a night out with SWMBO at a nice restaurant with nice food etc etc. I just don't understand how anyone could spend their time with the noise these women make.

As I said it doesn't happen every night but when it does they can 'outloud'?? my German Shepherd when she gets going.

It may be part of of lifes great tapestry but for me silence or at least quiet is much more betterer.

Last word is for the grammar police.?

7 hours ago, laislica said:

OP, I can really relate to this.

Kindly add the Spanish to your list.

Groups of them all seem to talk at the same time and get louder and louder, I wonder who is listening.

When I first rented an apartment in Spain, there was a central open area surrounded by buildings with  all the apartments having windows to this area.

The natural level of people noise was high, children, babies, couples, occasional couples having a fight or scolding children, kitchen sounds etc.

I was shocked.

However, there and then I new that this racket would be the norm and I decided to accept it and not to resist it.

Amazingly, once I had done this, it never bothered me again.

I now live half time in Thailand and Spain, always summer time for me and my wife.

Remember when you first arrive in a country where you cannot speak the language and people talking are just making noise?

After a while and you begin to learn their language, that noise changes and becomes information that you can start to understand.

For me at least, the screechyness tends to disappear with increased language skills.

I hope you can also find the right switch in your brain that allows you to de-sensitise, accept and ignore this irritation.

Good luck.

I have to second your statement on Spanish speakers. I went to a grad school in the US where 65% of the students were foreign. It was blatantly apparent in the library--the Spanish speakers were always heard above the rest; and that included a significant Southeast Asian student presence.

Edited by smotherb

Lived and worked in Italy for about 4 years and to be honest I can't remember the high pitched screeching you get here. Ok the Italians could be loud but the pitch of the sound is what gets me here.

And sorry to say it's a NE thing in my experience.

No doubt will get flamed for that last but that's the way it is.

Edited by overherebc

The Thai women often sound like "little munchkins" with their squealy, squeaky sounding high pitched voices...lol

Just saying....but meantime, the Vietnamese language is one of the most irritating languages to listen to when you get a gaggle of women all excitedly talking over one another....yikes ...lol

When I first moved here I stayed with my brother and his wife until I could find a suitable house.

Across the road was a minimart type thing, and the entire families conversations consisted of shouting at each other.

I didn't particularly notice (other than thinking they were noisy), until one morning my brother started shouting 'Are you enjoying your breakfast etc. etc.' and realised he was mimicking the minimart family :lol:.

16 hours ago, JJGreen said:

U choose to associate with who u associate with...
ait ain't difficult to find the remedy

Thats funny coming from you JJ, as you spend most of your time with some of the biggest Whiney, screechy voices on the Internet.