Windows 10 Anniversary Update

Pib

The Windows 10 Anniversary Update arrived for one of my two Lenovo laptops running Win 10 Pro tonight Bangkok time.   It's a "major" update in terms of size and time to install.

I didn't clock the download & install time on my Lenovo laptop with an i5 CPU, 8GB RAM, and SSD, but it took 30 to 60 minutes...probably closer to 45 to 60 minutes.  After the download the actual install process takes a while...you get to watch screens saying installing updates don't turn off your computer, working on updates don't turn off your computer, several reboots, sometimes the "percent" update completed seemingly stays on a certain percentage level for an extended time (which can scare you) and then jump way up in completed percentage.  Just be patient with the download and install process.

Anyway, it seemed to go OK....after the install some of the menu structures have changed, I see I need to reenter my email accounts in the MS Mail app, I opened several programs like Word and Outlook and they still worked fine, all my devices/drivers seem to be working, haven't notice any error/problem messages, etc.  I "think" it went OK based on limited checking...I'll check it out more tomorrow.

Looking in the Windows settings it says I'm now running Win 10 Pro (I have the Pro version), Version 1607 (it use to say 1511), OS Build 14393.10.   So, I guess the Anniversary update is numbered as 1607. 

As mentioned I'll check it out more tomorrow....and maybe the anniversary update will arrive my other/primary laptop soon, but I know Microsoft said the update would take several weeks to roll out to everyone based on where your computer happens to be in their queue.

• Replies 92
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Took a while time to download, have not got the fastest connection. The most annoying part is the restart sequence which took a long time, and the following setup. Start menu has changed a bit, so has "all settings" but no dramatic stuff one cannot handle after being already used to W 10. All my settings were stil there and everything works just fine. Only slight problem was to get Malware bytes anti exploit to work again. Reinstalled it and it is fine now, took 3 minutes to do so.

Update history is empty, ad there are no restore-points. It is all new and virgin like.. :gigglem:

Edited by Carib
spelling

Upgraded two of my Windows 10 Pro installs today, just to try it out. Both on Lenovo Thinkpads. I must say that it actually resolved a lot of quirks, especially on my X1 Carbon. Lot of stuff didn't work on the 1511 version. Installing latest Lenovo drivers made it even worse...

With 1607 version, I could be persuaded to move to Windows 10 on all the stationary PC's that I have.

But first, image the X1 (just in case) and apply all the latest Lenovo drivers.

Edited by SpaceKadet

Disregard where I said in my opening post, "...I see I need to reenter my email accounts in the MS Mail app."   The more I think about it I don't think I had ever entered them on the computer as it serves as my secondary/backup computer. 

I just did an update check for my primary computer and it still says my computer is up to date/hasn't got the Anniversary update yet....still in the MS queue I guess.

Wonder how a person would force the Anniversary Update---just the update.  I'll google that more today maybe...but now I need to take a dog to the vet for a scheduled appointment.

Edit: this webpage tells you how to get the update now...I do that after I get back from the vet appt.

https://blogs.windows.com/windowsexperience/2016/08/02/how-to-get-the-windows-10-anniversary-update/

Edited by Pib

already on the Anniversary Update build 14393 for a almost a week, very smooth so far, very happy !  the side-bar on the left is very handy.

this is a good youtube overview - Windows 10 Anniversary Update

after update, need couple of minor fix on the settings on audio and video devices, 2 minutes.  one problem though - some Logitech webcam get stuck in Skype, due to the old SILK_V3 codec.

I had a problem with this update as my small stream from hp did not have enough space and even when I created it it would all install even after taking it to an advice shop it still was happening.

In yesterdays Express.co.uk reports of after installation that problems were being reported with the Anniversary update and how to solve or get rid of it.

I shall now cancel any auto updates for my steam and live without it.

2 hours ago, ETatBKK said:

already on the Anniversary Update build 14393 for a almost a week, very smooth so far, very happy !  the side-bar on the left is very handy.

this is a good youtube overview - Windows 10 Anniversary Update

after update, need couple of minor fix on the settings on audio and video devices, 2 minutes.  one problem though - some Logitech webcam get stuck in Skype, due to the old SILK_V3 codec.

It looks more like a 1511 update not the actual 1607 one. I've also received a 10586.494, but that was for the 1511 version.

The new update takes much longer and changes quite a few things. 

6 hours ago, Jiu-Jitsu said:

I just deferred the upgrade for a month. Not keen on being a guinea pig.

I've had it for a couple of weeks, it rolled out to the Insider Preview.

So you're not the guinea pigs.

BTW it's fast and stable.

5 hours ago, Pib said:

Disregard where I said in my opening post, "...I see I need to reenter my email accounts in the MS Mail app."   The more I think about it I don't think I had ever entered them on the computer as it serves as my secondary/backup computer. 

I just did an update check for my primary computer and it still says my computer is up to date/hasn't got the Anniversary update yet....still in the MS queue I guess.

Wonder how a person would force the Anniversary Update---just the update.  I'll google that more today maybe...but now I need to take a dog to the vet for a scheduled appointment.

Edit: this webpage tells you how to get the update now...I do that after I get back from the vet appt.

https://blogs.windows.com/windowsexperience/2016/08/02/how-to-get-the-windows-10-anniversary-update/

OK, I just updated my other laptop/my primary Lenovo laptop (i7, 8GB RAM, SSD) to the Anniversary Update using the method described in above MS weblink since the update was not appearing for the computer yet when just checking for updates...still in MS update queue somewhere I guess.

The update was a piece of cake....took 57 minutes to download/install/reboot numerous times/complete the update.

And my email accounts for the MS Mail app were still there...so, like I mentioned above for my other laptop I just hadn't setup the accounts in my other laptop that I updated last night.  

Checked various programs like Word, Outlook, and about a half dozen other programs and they all still worked.

I'm 2 for 2....both guinea pigs survived the anniversary update...neither squealed even a little bit during the update.  

A guy just accidentally unplugged the extension and my 86 % of the set up were gone. Then, after another 33 %, it showed me that "something went wrong" and I had to start over again.

It might be the dodgy internet connection at school, will try that on PC with fiber optic when I come home. 

Got several hours under my belt today playing with my computer after the anniversary update....no problems at all with anything...no surprises...running smooth (knock on wood...my head).

oops . . . updating the second computer and the download went well.  BUT the installation goes into the turning dots for hours after 55% :-(  the HDD still turning, I have to leave it overnight for the best.

yes, should download the ISO file and let it starts from scratch.

I read this morning that too many people have been abusing the "Assistive Technologies" method of obtaining the free upgrade and Microsoft is planning to make it available only after the consumer manually contacts a service rep.

Predictable I suppose.

You can download an ISO directly by following this url.

https://www.microsoft.com/en-us/api/controls/contentinclude/html?pageId=cfa9e580-a81e-4a4b-a846-7b21bf4e2e5b&host=www.microsoft.com&segments=software-download,windows10ISO&query=&action=GetProductDownloadLinksBySku&skuId=FQC-08930&language=English

That will create a link good for 24 hours. It is for the ENG (US) multi edition version so can be used to upgrade both Home and Pro.

Much quicker than using the MS recommended method.

36 minutes ago, thedemon said:

You can download an ISO directly by following this url.

https://www.microsoft.com/en-us/api/controls/contentinclude/html?pageId=cfa9e580-a81e-4a4b-a846-7b21bf4e2e5b&host=www.microsoft.com&segments=software-download,windows10ISO&query=&action=GetProductDownloadLinksBySku&skuId=FQC-08930&language=English

That will create a link good for 24 hours. It is for the ENG (US) multi edition version so can be used to upgrade both Home and Pro.

Much quicker than using the MS recommended method.

It's not altogether clear as to which image this may be before download. No indication as to whether it is Threshold 2 April update or Redstone 1. 

It looks like a link created for a particular machine, hence the 'download link by SKU' message. The part number links to: 

Microsoft Windows 10 Pro 64 Bit System Builder OEM FQC-08930

For the latest English USA 64 bit disc (Redstone 1) Click here within twenty four hours...

And enjoy the new features like the software switch they installed to catch torrent users and lock them out. I guess the next knock at the door after that will be Homeland security. Other makers Apple and so for these platforms are to include the anti piracy switch in their next software update.

I installed the upgrade and used the new skype preview.

But when I blocked a contact and tried to unblock I could not find the person's name.

I went back to the old skype and the contact's name had vanished (not visible with the X for blocked alongside the name)

Still trying to find out how to unblock....

So if you use skype stick with the previous version till this bug is rectified.

Installed the update Wednesday, it is a big update, 3.7GB. Installed without any problem but has completely stopped my Outlook Mail from running within the Desktop and cannot use the Outlook setup to re enter the details, it just does nothing when I click on it.

Other than that it is an improvement I would say.

3 hours ago, 1337markus said:

And enjoy the new features like the software switch they installed to catch torrent users and lock them out. I guess the next knock at the door after that will be Homeland security. Other makers Apple and so for these platforms are to include the anti piracy switch in their next software update.

What software switch?

I've had 14393 since it released to the Fast Ring and it hasn't locked anything out.

And that is what discouraged me from installing Win 10 until recently, as I thought that might be a feature. Torrents are NOT only used to download pirated material, so preventing me from using such a site means I have changed my Update setting from Automatic to Tell Me It's There. I'm happy enough with the Win 10 I've got, especially as I've made it look like Win 7 with Classic Shell. Win 7 look (no tiles) and Win 10 speed.

And that is what discouraged me from installing Win 10 until recently, as I thought that might be a feature. Torrents are NOT only used to download pirated material, so preventing me from using such a site means I have changed my Update setting from Automatic to Tell Me It's There. I'm happy enough with the Win 10 I've got, especially as I've made it look like Win 7 with Classic Shell. Win 7 look (no tiles) and Win 10 speed.

On 8/4/2016 at 8:46 AM, lostinisaan said:

The real link, just in case if you can't wait...https://support.microsoft.com/en-us/help/12387/windows-10-update-history?ocid=update_setting_client

You can download the upgrade now and choose when you want to do it. Not too bad.

Windows update.png

Since nobody has mentioned it here, the link above actually downloads the Windows 10 Upgrade Assistant, a 5.5 MB .exe file that checks your PC and then, if everything is OK, proceeds to launch the full OS download.

Mine is downloading right now,  and I thought it said a total file size just under 2 GB.