Most expats have no idea how to use 7-Eleven stickers

snoop1130

Most expats have no idea how to use 7-Eleven stickers

By Laurel Tuohy

rsz_dscf4577.jpg

Since 7-Eleven started another round of sticker promotions on July 26, Coconuts thought it was time to finally tackle this deeply fascinating corner of Thai culture — and the fact that most foreigners are completely mystified by it.

So, you go to 7-Eleven (or Tesco, or even Big C) and buy your milk, beer or bread and hand over your money. They give you your change, receipt and...these little buggers.

Once in awhile a shop assistant might look at your confused face and take pity on you, saying, “Look, you can use this one to get a free banana,” but most of the time you’re just lost.

Full Story: http://bangkok.coconuts.co/2016/08/04/most-expats-have-no-idea-how-use-7-eleven-stickers

coconts_logo.jpg
-- © Copyright Coconuts Bangkok 2016-08-04

• Replies 68
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

I use them all the time - if they are running a good promotion. When I get home from shopping I toss the stickers onto a shelf on the desk and once in awhile I get around to sticking them in the little booklets (that are usually available around the cashier's area).

Big C often has some quality items (kitchenware) that is quite nice. I've got some nice double-walled glasses (they don't drip condensation everywhere), sturdy flatware (I hate those cheap forks and spoons that bend like a pretzel all the time) and soon some new kitchen knives. 1 sticker for every 300 baht spent. My average grocery trip is around 3,000 baht so I usually end up with 10 stickers each time and each promotion period lasts about 4 months.

There are 2 options with the stickers, collect enough and you can get one of the promotional items for just 1 baht. Or, collect half the number of stickers needed for an item and pay a small fee. For example, in their current promotion (assorted Vivo kitchen knives) the most expensive item is a cleaver (retail value 1,599 baht). Collect 60 stamps (spend 18,000 baht at the main Big C stores) over the 4 month period and you can get the cleaver for just 1 baht.

The other option would be to collect 30 stamps and pay 399 baht.  I usually go with option 2. As I do most of my grocery shopping at Big C any ways it's a nice little bonus. If they were offering some crappy merchandise then I wouldn't bother with the stamps at all.

From Foodland I (easily) collected enough stamps to get some nice pots and a frying pan - much better quality than what is normally available. They offer "double stamps" on some days of the week as well. Only took me a couple of shopping trips to fill 4 little books with stamps and each filled booklet let you buy any 2 of the items offered. I only went for a small and a medium pot as well as a large frying pan, all with glass lids. Not sure what else they have been promoting recently. I didn't keep track of what the retail value of them was but it had to of been worth it or I wouldn't have bothered (I gave the 2 books of stamps I didn't use to someone else).

Got some junky things from 7-11 promotions in the past and now I see their stickers are basically like mini cash coupons (1 and 3 baht values). Haven't tried cashing them in but it seems I acquired nearly 50 baht worth in just one trip to the store. 

I had some Tesco stamps at one point but didn't see what their promotion was about and as I rarely go there I ended up throwing them out.

The other thing with Big C is, at the end of you sales receipt is (usually) a string of "discounts". I can never figure out what they are worth and usually just throw the receipt away when I get home. I think you can use those discounts on future purchases of different things, and I know that quite often you can take your receipt to the customer counter and get some freebie item (at Big C). I've probably thrown away thousands of baht worth of discounts because I just couldn't be bothered trying to figure out the receipts. Not sure if you have to have a "Big C" card to get those discounts. I always show them my card any ways.

At Foodland, they give discount coupons on future purchases from the Deli or bakery. (Ah crap - I see that I had 13 of those 15 baht coupons (195 baht worth) that expired in June.)

Lastly, MK Restaurants have discount cards as well. I haven't bothered getting one myself but quite often I go there with a friend and when it comes time to pay we use her card and the discount is quite large (easily 200+ baht) each time we go there. If you eat at MK a lot I'd really suggest getting one of their discount cards.

21 minutes ago, OttoPollmann said:

Most of those shops don't handover those stickers to foreigners. The teller will keep those stickers for himself and will benefit from this promotion. 

Errr I take it you can offer evidence to support this statement..............................

Not holding my breath waiting.

50 minutes ago, OttoPollmann said:

Most of those shops don't handover those stickers to foreigners. The teller will keep those stickers for himself and will benefit from this promotion. 

They do in my local 7/11 and also at BigC in Khampeang Phet.

Where do you shop?

Just hand them to the wife.....1st time I brought them home she looked at me & said "where's the book?"......

Next time I got a book......

Last go around she had enough for a pot/pan/lid set.....They gave her a voucher last year & told her it would be available in April this year.....She marked the calendar, filed the voucher and we went on to collect it when the magic day appeared .....Took a special trip to get it......Already had a kitchen full of good pots & pans - but they're using that one = the prize......

Made me wonder how we ever spent that much at 7/11 to get that stuff. ....

Don't bother with the stickers. I when sticker crazy 2 years ago. Saving up for a fold up chair. I spent a fortune in the 7/11 buying stuff I didn't need. Halls mints, yakult, smoke bite, nivea for men whitening cream. All to get extra stickers for this chair. Anyway, I got the chair after filling 3 sticker books up and spending probably 5,000 baht in 7/11. Took the chair home and sat on it. Later on, 2 hours or so later it broke. Cheap crap. I was fuming! Last time I collect stickers.
A cautionary tale told using
Thaivisa Android App. Thaivisa connect. Now up and running.

I have a nice , big 7 eleven umbrella with a built-in flashlight .  I did collect a lot of stamps to get one , but I am happy I did  . Still working after 3 years. 

6 hours ago, SoiBiker said:

I always get mine.

I found they provided a handy, frugal, but rather time-consuming way to wallpaper my spare room.

I was planning to build a time capsule and fill them with these things.

in 500 years when the aliens that roam the earth did them up, they will mystified.

10 hours ago, BigBadGeordie said:

Errr I take it you can offer evidence to support this statement..............................

Not holding my breath waiting.

Yeah will back that I get loads of those stickers given to me. Maybe your local 711 do not like you. My locals love it they practice english on me. Good to see one or two grow in confidence over time too.

8 hours ago, balo said:

I have a nice , big 7 eleven umbrella with a built-in flashlight .  I did collect a lot of stamps to get one , but I am happy I did  . Still working after 3 years. 

Me too! We use them always. Save a few baht here and there. Makes the gf think she's thrifty! ;)

Edited by Skeptic7

My wife has a card for 7/11 which she pre loads with cash at 7/11 and uses the card to pay for purchases. The stamps are added to the card electronically and the value is immediately deducted from that purchase. 

No stamps, no books, no small change and cheaper shopping.

I leave them for the 7/11 staff as I'm sure they're paid v little - but love the humourous replies :lol:!

More interesting (to me, anyway) is  - has anyone ever had any indication that there is a point to Tesco staff 'swiping' the customer card???

I think all cards from the local merchants provide you no benefit,
Except of course to the issuer's,for they obtain a ton of information about you including your spending habits and it's all free.
Mai Mee is always my answer to "do you have member card"

The stickers are magic:

I got a chair. Since then the dog doesn't come on the couch any more and always sit on the chair.

I got a children swimming-pool. Since then the GF ran away with her children.

I got an umbrella. Since then we had no more rain.

I got a nice "no fat needed" cooking pan. Since then I gained 8 kg more.

I'm curious what comes as next gift...

16 hours ago, OttoPollmann said:

I get them every time I buy something at 7-Eleven. How can you possible say "most" shops do one thing or another?

"most foreigners are completely mystified by it. "

I'm not mystified by it. They either go in the bin or are handed off to a Thai friend ... who more often than not deposits them in the bin.