PM believes Thai people understand draft charter well

webfact

PM believes Thai people understand draft charter well

pmp.jpg

BANGKOK, 5 August 2016 (NNT) - Prime Minister General Prayut Chan-o-cha believes that Thai people will be able to make well-informed decisions at the upcoming constitutional referendum, despite third party attempts at misinformation. 

The Premier said he received no reports of any unusual movements from security units ahead of August 7th. General Prayut said he believes the Thai people have a good understanding of the draft charter and that they need time to decide whether they want to accept it. 

National Council for Peace and Order (NCPO) Spokesperson Colonel Winthai Suwaree said the situation in the country has so far been peaceful. He claimed that it is unlikely there will be any significant attempt to disrupt the constitutional referendum. 

Meanwhile, the Internal Security Operations Command (ISOC) Region 4 told the NCPO that the recent incident in the Deep South involving placards carrying anti-draft charter messages was not a matter of regional security. However, the Election Commission of Thailand will visit the area to inspect the placards.

nnt_logo.jpg
-- nnt 2016-08-05

Over 95% of Thai people have no understanding of the charter, most have never ever seen it let alone read it. But the word is  that ALL soldiers and police have been told to vote yes to both questions.

17 minutes ago, Hawk said:

Over 95% of Thai people have no understanding of the charter, most have never ever seen it let alone read it. But the word is  that ALL soldiers and police have been told to vote yes to both questions.

Interesting post, whilst I do not dispute your sentimemts, I assume they are based on empirical evidence rather than facts.

Can you support the "over 95%" figure? 
Most, which would indicate over 50%, "have never seen it let alone read it", anything to support that statement.
I would be interested to learn the source of the "word" instructing all soldiers and police to vote yes.

Sometimes it is better to offer a personal opinion, rather than to offer unverifiable numbers. Or do you perhaps work for TAT or NIDA polls. Or are you one of those mysterious "third parties".

21 minutes ago, BigBadGeordie said:

Interesting post, whilst I do not dispute your sentimemts, I assume they are based on empirical evidence rather than facts.

Most, which would indicate over 50%, "have never seen it let alone read it", anything to support that statement.
I would be interested to learn the source of the "word" instructing all soldiers and police to vote yes.

Sometimes it is better to offer a personal opinion, rather than to offer unverifiable numbers. Or do you perhaps work for TAT or NIDA polls. Or are you one of those mysterious "third parties".

Yes to the first two questions and as for the source, army officers.

Do you want names, addresses and ID card numbers as well?  Do you want me to do a head count for you? Anything else you require?

Weellll Mr PM.

The only reason our village has copies of the charter or the explanatory booklets is because I downloaded (from the official site) and printed several sets for Puyai Baan to share :)

And, we are in greater Bangkok not out in the sticks.

3 hours ago, Hawk said:

3 hours ago, Hawk said:

Well, for some reason every person must put their fingerprint on the top of the voting form. Kind of deletes anonymity. Then those forms will be sent to the ec for diligent checking. Apparently village heads and district chiefs might lose their jobs if there is low voter turn out from their area. I don't know if that applies to villages that vote "in the wrong way " .

The question is? Are there enough army, civil servants and government officials to counterbalance all those silly citizens that vote in "the wrong way"

"... Prat yu said he believes the Thai people have a good understanding of the draft charter..."

NOT according to BangkokPoll (http://bangkokpoll.bu.ac.th/index.php?option=com_wrapper&view=wrapper&Itemid=71)

BangkokPoll.png

For these guys, 61% of people polled have NO UNDERSTANDING. One would hate to think that Prat yu is NOT being honest with the Thai people.

At the other end of the spectrum of understanding (of the contents of the draft Constitution), 3.6% believe they know all the issues well.
This is a disappointing result given that much of the 2016 draft document (http://www.un.or.th/wp-content/uploads/2016/06/2016_Thailand-Draft-Constitution_EnglishTranslation_Full_Formatted_vFina....pdf) has been copied directly from the 2007 document (https://www.google.co.th/url?sa=t&rct=j&q=&esrc=s&source=web&cd=1&ved=0ahUKEwjT7c7I46nOAhUHS48KHSGWAkAQFggcMAA&url=https%3A%2F%2Fwww.unodc.org%2Ftldb%2Fpdf%2FThailand_const_2007.pdf&usg=AFQjCNFSGwi8rHPNkiM_QGbuEV7kcAN5dQ&cad=rja).

Nothing in our village, also not in the real sticks only  15km from PKK an Airforce base town where i am sure they will be following orders on how to vote it seems .

Mrs P has heard about  it from BKK on her visits there but certainly not a topic for the locals here

15 minutes ago, greenchair said:

Well, for some reason every person must put their fingerprint on the top of the voting form

the reason is

http://www.khaosodenglish.com/politics/2016/08/02/z-sundays-referendum-vote/

For possibly the first time, voters will be required to affix a fingerprint to the top of their ballot, above their vote.

This is not to intimidate voters by linking their identity to their vote, Wanchai said, but was intended as a marketing maneuver. The commission hopes people will take selfies with their inked fingers, he said, and share them on social media, thus encouraging others to come out and vote.

:w00t:

Of course the people understand the charter draft. After all there's been vigorous public debate on the subject and everyone has been encouraged to speak their minds - without fear of retribution.

Welcome to the world of the junta supporters!!:crazy::crazy:

Sometimes it is better to offer a personal opinion, rather than to offer unverifiable numbers.

A bit like the PM did with his pronouncement?

I suspect the PM's definition of "Thai people" might be limited to just the "Good People"?

The amart know what's best for the phrai.

I asked a lot of Thai people today that I know if they were going to go and vote and most of them said they were not going.
The ones that did say they were going to vote, I did not find it appropriate to ask which way they would vote.
None of my business to be honest, but my girlfriends entire family are going to vote and they all said they will vote no.

Edit: My question was not posed to more than 5 people together,but rather to individual people so as it can not be construed as a political gathering.

5 hours ago, BigBadGeordie said:

My neighbor and his wife are engineers with bachelor and master degree.Both are from Sukothai.both have absolute no idea the referendum is about what,and both also don't care.Many other Thai friends are just like them.Also difficult to talk with them about this subject,they scared to death about Prayuth.They really afraid to end up in prison.Only using the name prayuth or army makes them very"mai sabai"

4 minutes ago, waitforusalso said:

Considering the staggering lack of general knowledge of the average Thai, I doubt many even know what a constitution is.

Right. And the staggering lack of general knowledge of the average Thai is by design - not accident. If you want to exert control over a people and extract convenient and ongoing benefits from their subjection, it is best to keep them systematically in the darkness of ignorance, superstition and grovelling servitude to those with power and wealth. The woeful ill-education of the poor Thais is truly sad to behold. It cries out for justice and humanity, for a genuine desire to lift the people up into self-empowerment based on moral (genuine moral - not fake,  faut-elitist  'moral') and intellectual development. There is a minority in this and many other societies for whom such a development is more odious than garlic to a vampire. I wonder why? Maybe you can guess!

1 minute ago, Eligius said:

Right. And the staggering lack of general knowledge of the average Thai is by design - not accident. If you want to exert control over a people and extract convenient and ongoing benefits from their subjection, it is best to keep them systematically in the darkness of ignorance, superstition and grovelling servitude to those with power and wealth. The woeful ill-education of the poor Thais is truly sad to behold. It cries out for justice and humanity, for a genuine desire to lift the people up into self-empowerment based on moral (genuine moral - not fake,  faut-elitist  'moral') and intellectual development. There is a minority in this and many other societies for whom such a development is more odious than garlic to a vampire. I wonder why? Maybe you can guess!

Bravo.

This is why informed observers, with nothing at stake, realise the yellows, military & establishment are the scourge of the lower classes/ the majority. 

Two soldiers in wife's family doing basic training have said they have had a bigwig at their base to inform all of them they are expected to vote yes or there could be 'consequences' for them and their families.

Meanwhile; wife and all sixteen family members will vote No and smudge finger prints.  None of them have seen the draft apart from the wife who i showed it to online.  There has been nobody around any of our local Villages to show or talk to anyone about what they are voting for....it's disgraceful.

My bird got a letter around 10 days ago and called me yesterday if she should return tomorrow or not. I asked her do you know what it is about and she told me not really. I say its about Prayuth and she told me never mind darling, I come back for the Queen's Birthday and we can have a long weekend.

give a man a fish and you feed him for a day; teach a man to fish and you feed him for a lifetime

All very well, unless he's only allowed to fish in waters chosen by the landowner, and he's limited to what he can take.

Apathy is not good for one's soul.

Edited by Jason Bourne