Belgium machete attack: two policewomen wounded, assailant killed

rooster59

Belgium machete attack: two policewomen wounded, assailant killed

606x341_340681.jpg

A man wielding a machete and shouting “Allahu Akbar!” (“God is greatest” in Arabic) wounded two female police officers in the southern Belgian city of Charleroi on Saturday afternoon, authorities said.

The attacker was shot by a third officer and he subsequently died of his wounds, police said, adding that the policewomen’s injuries are not life-threatening.

One of the police officers was taken to hospital to receive surgery for serious wounds to her face, while her colleague was lightly injured, Belgian media RTBF reported.

Prime Minister Charles Michel took to Twitter to condemn the attack. “My thoughts are with the victims, their loved ones, and the police. We are following the situation closely,” he said. He plans to return from his holiday to meet police on Sunday, according to RTBF.

The attack happened around outside the city’s main police station at around 4 pm local time.

It comes as Belgium is on high alert for attacks from Islamist militants. The country is currently on a security alert level of three out of a maximum of four, which indicates a “possible and probable” threat.

Interior Minister Jan Jambon said the national terrorism-risk analysis agency, Ocam, was assessing the situation. In a tweet, he said: “Despicable act in Charleroi. All my support to the two injured officers, as well as their colleagues and families. An Ocam analysis is under way.”

Islamist bombers killed 32 people in suicide attacks in Brussels in March, and many of the jihadists who carried out attacks on Paris last November in which 130 people died were based in Belgium.

euronews_logo.jpg
-- © Copyright Euronews 2016-08-07

• Replies 117
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

1 minute ago, Chapelroad said:

I imagine the PC apologists will be staying away from this topic.

It would be my wish that the trolls would stay away from this topic, but I doubt that they will.  

It's good they shot and killed the buttplug.  If he had survived, he would have required court dates, lawyers, prison facilities/staffers, and a bunch of other taxpayer-paid services.   Kill him.  Pow.  He's gone.  He won't get any doe-eyed virgins.   He'll get worms crawling through his corpse.

14 minutes ago, Chapelroad said:

I imagine the PC apologists will be staying away from this topic.

You should expand your vocabulary - if you do that, you would find that those who are a little less swift to point the finger (read the thread about the murder in London of the American tourist to see how disappointed some TV posters are that the attacker was not draped in an ISIS flag) could be described as realists.

I don't think you will find anyone who has been posting on this topic who would deny that Belgium has a serious problem with islamic terrorism - the disagreement comes from how you deal with the vast majority of Muslims who are against the violence.

14 minutes ago, RuamRudy said:

You should expand your vocabulary - if you do that, you would find that those who are a little less swift to point the finger (read the thread about the murder in London of the American tourist to see how disappointed some TV posters are that the attacker was not draped in an ISIS flag) could be described as realists.

I don't think you will find anyone who has been posting on this topic who would deny that Belgium has a serious problem with islamic terrorism - the disagreement comes from how you deal with the vast majority of Muslims who are against the violence.

I disagree the problem is how to deal with the very very large amount of muslims that agree with the violence .

12 minutes ago, RuamRudy said:

the disagreement comes from how you deal with the vast majority of Muslims who are against the violence.

I think the disagreement comes from how the vast majority of Muslims don't stand up against the violence. Silence is consent.

14 minutes ago, boomerangutang said:

It's good they shot and killed the buttplug.  If he had survived, he would have required court dates, lawyers, prison facilities/staffers, and a bunch of other taxpayer-paid services.   Kill him.  Pow.  He's gone.  He won't get any doe-eyed virgins.   He'll get worms crawling through his corpse.

It's good that they shot him to prevent him seriously injuring anymore people or indeed killing anyone, which was his clear intent.

So yes a very good response from the officer that shot him.

But the rest of your reasoning is flawed. While killing him has put a stop to him injuring and killing, it also complicates the investigations that may prevent other attacks.

He's dead, the officer did the right thing killing him to stop him - Enough said.

15 minutes ago, RuamRudy said:

Muslims against violence: good.   Muslims against Islamism: better.

The problem is the large number of Muslims who aren't violent themselves but who either support, tolerate or do nothing against the violent Muslims, as well as those who would cast their vote in favor of forming an islamic republic.
The violent Muslims are indeed a relatively small minority, but if you count in all of the above "sympathizers" of political Islam, the problem is much bigger, I would estimate "moderate Muslims" could well be in the minority, in many countries they definitely are.

Edited by manarak

28 minutes ago, thai3 said:

Nothing to do with the Koran anyway that tells it's followers to kill unbelievers where ever they find them, just another mental case of course :whistling: and there will be another one in a couple of days. 

Maybe all the followers are a mental cases all the Billion are mental cases

1 minute ago, Pimay1 said:

I think the disagreement comes from how the vast majority of Muslims don't stand up against the violence. Silence is consent.

There is another thread about Muslims attending a church service in France to show solidarity with Christians, and it was littered with claims of them merely paying lip service - what should they do that would appease the non-muslim haters?

Just now, HenryB said:

Maybe all the followers are a mental cases all the Billion are mental cases

actually, most of them would be considered mental cases if they behaved in Western countries as they do at home.

One can only hope he died in agony and it was good that this loser was unsuccessful too in his attempt to kill.

I do hope the injured Officers make a full recovery.

I do hope this sends a message to wannabe scum bag Islamic terrorists, the west stands ready to introduce you to Mohammed, losers.

33 minutes ago, Scott said:

It would be my wish that the trolls would stay away from this topic, but I doubt that they will.  

Hook, line and sinker.

The Belgian's are on the money. Put him down; end of. UK police should take note. While the London attacker may not have been affiliated with IS, he was likely heading that way and a murderer nonetheless and should have been dropped on the spot. One would have thought that we have reached a point in our evolution where the focus should be on the good, the innocent. The so called rights of those that kill and maim, who want our society destroyed???

3 minutes ago, RuamRudy said:

There is another thread about Muslims attending a church service in France to show solidarity with Christians, and it was littered with claims of them merely paying lip service - what should they do that would appease the non-muslim haters?

Commendable, and the Muslim religious leaders have my respect for trying to demonstrate their opposition to terrorism and extremists.

HOWEVER: despite being asked by their religious leaders to attend, there were only 100 Muslims at the Rouen Service, and the leaders in Bordeaux could only get about a dozen to join, most were women, which certainly is disappointing.

7 minutes ago, RuamRudy said:

According to the French government there are currently 5.8 million Muslims in France. Only a few hundred attended the church services you mention. This validates my statement.

22 minutes ago, NongKhaiKid said:

The Belgians didn't waste time in saying terrorism but what's the chances that Germany and Britain would have introduced  '  mental health issues  '  as soon as possible  ?

Anyone brainwashed enough to kill in the name of a fairytale is a nutcase in my book. They should all be locked up. 

37 minutes ago, Pimay1 said:

I don't want to generalize and maybe denigrate all Muslims but on many occasions I've heard from family and friends all over Britain that when incidents like this happen the Muslim representative bodies are often very slow to respond and condemn.     

There's a wrap around excuse that  ' these people aren't Muslims  '  as if that explains everything away but the problem is  '  these people  '  really believe they are.   People supposedly acting in the name of Islam attack non-Muslims for being exactly that and attack other Muslims for not believing as they do and therefore not proper Muslims.

There's something of a comparison with LoS when monks get up to all sorts of things,   as they do quite regularly,    and the comments are that they're fake,  not real monks but they are having been ordained and not defrocked.

Heads in sand doesn't excuse or make problems go away.

Edited by NongKhaiKid

24 minutes ago, manarak said:

Commendable, and the Muslim religious leaders have my respect for trying to demonstrate their opposition to terrorism and extremists.

HOWEVER: despite being asked by their religious leaders to attend, there were only 100 Muslims at the Rouen Service, and the leaders in Bordeaux could only get about a dozen to join, most were women, which certainly is disappointing.

Before throwing commendations around.

It should be noted that these services were attended by Ahmadi Muslims. The Ahmadi's Muslims are considered pariah's and non - Muslims by both Sunni's and Shia's.

A speedy recovery to the 2 Policewoman

51 minutes ago, GuestHouse said:

It's good that they shot him to prevent him seriously injuring anymore people or indeed killing anyone, which was his clear intent.

So yes a very good response from the officer that shot him.

But the rest of your reasoning is flawed. While killing him has put a stop to him injuring and killing, it also complicates the investigations that may prevent other attacks.

He's dead, the officer did the right thing killing him to stop him - Enough said.

While I agree with you that killing the terrorist who was yielding a machete was the best decision of the 3rd police, this 3rd police officer will go trough a lot of pressure in the next days/weeks.

The anti-racist movement will villify this police officer trough all possible instances and claim that the killing of the attacker was not necessary.
The Moslims have more rights than the Belgian people and the Islamic movements are more powerful than the Belgians.
Only by accusing the policeman for being a racist, can guarantee him/her to be locked up for several years and lose his/her job with a negative comment.

I hope the 2 officers will make a speedy recovery and the officer that killed the attacker will have a peaceful week to come.

If a small faction of circus clowns runs amok, should all circus clowns be called upon to condemn them? Majority of posters on TV are westerners and some are obviously xenophobic or outright racist rednecks but should all westerners on TV be required to condemn this faction lest others paint them all as one?

Meanwhile:

Why Normal Muslims Should Never Have To Apologize for Terrorism:
http://www.huffingtonpost.com/omar-alnatour/why-muslims-should-never-have-to-apologize_b_9526296.html

How Muslims around the world condemned the Paris attacks
https://www.washingtonpost.com/news/wonk/wp/2015/11/14/how-muslims-around-the-world-condemned-the-paris-attacks/

45 Examples of Muslim Outrage About Charlie Hebdo Attack That Fox News Missed
http://www.alternet.org/media/45-examples-muslim-outrage-about-charlie-hebdo-attack-fox-news-missed

Muslim scholars from around the world joined together to write an open letter to ISIS, denouncing them as un-Islamic by using Islamic terms:
http://www.lettertobaghdadi.com/

Now, could all the typical fearful reactionary 'they're gonna get us(!!!)', 'throw em all out', anti-Muslim, pro-Trump, pro-Brexit, pro-gun, afraid of your own shadows, big girls blouse types, please, please, please: STOP directly assisting ISIS with their recruitment and their desired clash of civilisations by your constant portrayal of an ENTIRE religious group same as a relatively tiny group of extremist, radical, terrorist, murderers and some associated disenfranchised, demented, suicidal, losers. Please STOP HELPING ISIS (also please adopt a wee bit of mettle and rational thinking). Thanks, much appreciated.

Amazing how some defend Islam here.

Islam is not a religion. It is a crazy death cult and should be treated as such. There is no difference between "radical" and "non-radical" muslims. They all believe the same things, and follow the same holy book which instructs them to convert or kill all human beings on this planet.

The Arab, Islamic embossed States do not accept today the human rights convention of the United Nations. In 1981, on the other hand, the "Cairo Declaration" with the obligation that all human rights were made conditional on compliance with the Sharia. Logically the murder of "infidels", especially from Christians and Jews is not one of the violations of human rights (after Cairo Declaration). In Islam, the anti-torture convention, the anti-discrimination and by making the human rights of children as the free choice of religion are nothing.

Edited by tomacht8

8 minutes ago, tomacht8 said:

Amazing how some defend Islam here.

Islam is not a religion. It is a crazy death cult and should be treated as such. There is no difference between "radical" and "non-radical" muslims. They all believe the same things, and follow the same holy book which instructs them to convert or kill all human beings on this planet.

The Arab, Islamic embossed States do not accept today the human rights convention of the United Nations. In 1981, on the other hand, the "Cairo Declaration" with the obligation that all human rights were made conditional on compliance with the Sharia. Logically the murder of "infidels", especially from Christians and Jews is not one of the violations of human rights (after Cairo Declaration). In Islam, the anti-torture convention, the anti-discrimination and by making the human rights of children as the free choice of religion are nothing.

What confuses me is that the many Muslim friends I have, have never threatened me or abused me or tried to hurt me in any because I am an infidel - do you think that they are just buttering me up before they are ready to execute God's will?

1 hour ago, DavisH said:

Anyone brainwashed enough to kill in the name of a fairytale is a nutcase in my book. They should all be locked up. 

How many centuries do you want to take that back?

People have been killing in the name of religion for centuries. Christians, Muslims, Hindus, Jews, Buddhists, Crusaders, Saracens etc. You could sub divide it if you wish but it all ends up in the same place.

Take your pick from almost any religion and they have done it.

the problem for the public opinion is not how very few muslims carry on attacks although the large majority of them are peacefull people..etc.., the problem comes from the fact that 100% of the mass killings and horrific murders in Europe these last months were  perpetrated by people of muslim culture. Of course this has an impact on the way you keep your mind open when you're not of one them.

2 hours ago, boomerangutang said:

I couldn't agree more 

9 minutes ago, billd766 said:

How many centuries do you want to take that back?

People have been killing in the name of religion for centuries. Christians, Muslims, Hindus, Jews, Buddhists, Crusaders, Saracens etc. You could sub divide it if you wish but it all ends up in the same place.

Take your pick from almost any religion and they have done it.

Yes true.  

But was that not before we allegedly became a more civilised world  (or at least now know that its wrong!)!