Pattaya going downhill!

pepi2005

12 hours ago, newnative said:

Don't you love posters who say dopey things like 'another mall isn't going to raise your quality of life'.  Of course, they don't live here, they just visit friends, and then go back to places like London that have tons and tons and tons  of all sorts of shopping choices.  Seems they resent us living in this nice climate year round while they are stuck with rainy dreary, cold  weather day after day (and, that's just the summer, hehe) and, how DARE us wanting some shopping choices on top of that!  HOW DARE US!  Big C, Tesco, and 7-11 are all we need and deserve, they seem to think.  Well, I live here year-round and I am happy to have several malls to choose from and Terminal 21 on the way--just like I had several malls to shop at in America, go to a movie, and  then have dinner at one of the restaurants.  I like having nice stores like Index, Chic Republic, Home Port, Decco, Home Pro, etc. to browse in--just like I had interesting stores in America to shop at.  I like having a big variety of restaurants from the chains to the one of a kind--just like I had in America but cheaper.  I think most of the people living in Pattaya who are not lost in the past like its present size and the variety of everything that size brings.  

Well said...I second all of it  :thumbsup:

• Replies 784
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

8 hours ago, Jiu-Jitsu said:

Oh the irony :)

Who are these people to whom you refer? You'll likely find that the people who are making comments have a lot more experience of Thailand than yourself.

That's part of the problem. That you want to have the USA inside Thailand.

This may surprise you...but most of this development is done for Thais, Pattaya being located in Thailand not farangland, not for the foreign contingent living in Pattaya. And the Thais are very happy to have more "America" in Thailand...not less.

Edited by OMGImInPattaya

22 hours ago, newnative said:

20 years ago Pattaya didn't have most of the things I mentioned and it certainly didn't have the wide choice of housing available now, both in condos and homes.  I know that less than 7 years ago when I arrived if you wanted a new, affordable highrise condo with a seaview it was pretty much the View Talays and few others.

Big enough to have theaters that play movies in English. Big enough to have a wide selection of housing--both condos and homes.  Big enough for quality hospitals.  Big enough for a wide variety of restaurants and food stores.  

20 years ago Pattaya certainly had all the above. While perhaps not so many condos in Pattaya itself there were plenty over in Jomptien and up in Naklua. I was there then. Actually, other than Central, the beach front hasn't changed much, except most of the trees have gone.

6 hours ago, OMGImInPattaya said:

This may surprise you...but most of this development is done for Thais, Pattaya being located in Thailand not farangland, not for the foreign contingent living in Pattaya. And the Thais are very happy to have more "America" in Thailand...not less.

Are you sure about that? We have been told for many years that the place is being developed to bring a better class of tourist, ie those that are rich. Last time I looked Thais aren't tourists in Pattaya.

I'm happy to say that they made such a cock up, what with the rubbish walkway, the collapsing marina and the non functioning car park, that it hasn't worked, and the Monte Carlo crowd are never parking their yachts in Pattaya Bay.

Not familiar with Naklua but I doubt the condo selection for highrises with seaviews in Jomtien was very good 20 years ago because it was rather limited less than 7 years ago when I arrived.  If you were looking for something  newer and affordable in Jomtien it was mostly the View Talays and a few others.  I know because I worked my way through VT3, VT5C, VT5D, and VT7.  Now, there's a nice selection in most price ranges.  And, the same for everything else--more choices for health care, groceries, furniture, home improvement, automobiles, restaurants, shopping centers, specialty stores, etc. etc. and, for me, that's a good thing.  Nobody's forcing anybody to patronize them.

20 minutes ago, thaibeachlovers said:

Big enough to have theaters that play movies in English. Big enough to have a wide selection of housing--both condos and homes.  Big enough for quality hospitals.  Big enough for a wide variety of restaurants and food stores.  

20 years ago Pattaya certainly had all the above. While perhaps not so many condos in Pattaya itself there were plenty over in Jomptien and up in Naklua. I was there then. Actually, other than Central, the beach front hasn't changed much, except most of the trees have gone.

Yes i can remember watching movies in English with Thai sub titles at

the Big C,   second road.    great mid week afternoon entertainment,   relaxing drinking Beer Chang and watching the latest releases for 60 baht.

Happy days  :thumbsup:

7 minutes ago, newnative said:

OMG was talking about private development, as I'm sure you were aware.  Private development like Harbor Mall, for example, which  usually has a lot more Thais than foreigners.

Not really. Given that this is a thread about the farang bar scene I don't know why anyone would be talking about development for Thai visitors.

50 minutes ago, thaibeachlovers said:

20 years ago the selection of imported food was only a fraction of that what is available today. and the same applies to the variety of restaurants, e.g. 20 years ago one twelfth of a dozen Indian restaurants located at the end of walking streets seaside. excellent food but till it was served one was half starved. 

9 hours ago, newnative said:

I'm not looking for America in Thailand--I would have made the same comments if I was from Australia or Singapore--but I am happy that Pattaya is big enough now to have a fairly wide variety of shopping and restaurant choices that cities in America and other countries have, including some other cities in Thailand.  I often eat out both lunch and dinner and I do eat at a lot of the non-chain restaurants around town, both Thai and foreign-owned,  but it's nice to know Sizzler is there if I feel like pigging out at the buffet. 

Sizzler has been in Pattaya for a very long time.  It used to be on the 2nd road side of Royal Garden back in the early to mid-2000s.  Your thoughts, and the thoughts of several other posters, are guided by the false idea that all growth is good (the mantra of cancer cells).  Most people have been indoctrinated to believe this because it fuels capitalism and big profits for the 1%.   It is hard for most people to understand why it is a false and dangerous idea.  Nobody wants to go back and live in a cave without modern conveniences.  We are only stating that there was a point in time when we had virtually everything we needed to live a quality life in Pattaya-Jomtien.  Too much development has destroyed several elements of that quality of life.  Not all people believe this, but many do, especially those who have actually lived here for a long time and know what it used to be like.

It's nice that this forum provides for differences of opinion and I certainly respect your opinion that Pattaya was better when it was smaller.   I don't think all growth is good--I lived in Northern Virginia in USA in the 1980s to 2010 and there was way too much growth way too fast.  But, I like that Pattaya has reached a size that allows it to offer a wider variety in many things.  One thing's for sure, none of us can live in the past.

4 minutes ago, newnative said:

It's nice that this forum provides for differences of opinion and I certainly respect your opinion that Pattaya was better when it was smaller.   I don't think all growth is good--I lived in Northern Virginia in USA in the 1980s to 2010 and there was way too much growth way too fast.  But, I like that Pattaya has reached a size that allows it to offer a wider variety in many things.  One thing's for sure, none of us can live in the past.

Thank you for your post.  "Change is a constant."

9 hours ago, OMGImInPattaya said:

Rubbish! Thais aren't buying and living in the condos, are they?  Thais aren't really known for their yachting skills, so I guess the marina wasn't for them either.  

Sad truth is that it needs the malls to attract domestic tourism, because it doesn't have much else to offer.

When the best thing that you can do at a seaside resort is to sit inside an air conditioned mall,  it may be time for a rethink.

On 11/09/2016 at 7:16 AM, OMGImInPattaya said:

I think London has one of the highest ratios of public parks and green spaces to land area of any major metropolitan area...so I guess by your definition, it must have a great quality of life. Funny, however, the number of British tourists and expats Pattaya seems to attract. I guess parks are not the be-all and end-all of existence.

However, I agree with your general point...but poor Third World countries are generally not noted for the environmental protection and urban planning.  :yohan:

Has anyone let you know that Britain is not in London?

34 minutes ago, Jiu-Jitsu said:

When the best thing that you can do at a seaside resort is to sit inside an air conditioned mall,  it may be time for a rethink.

i neither sit in malls nor do i frequent malls. but it's none of my nor your business to comment on those who like malls :coffee1:

2 hours ago, Awohalitsiktoli said:

Too much development has destroyed several elements of that quality of life.  Not all people believe this, but many do, especially those who have actually lived here for a long time and know what it used to be like.

i agree with you but i consider the advantages outweigh by far that some of old Pattaya's charme doesn't exist anymore. if i was, like in olden times, a tourist i'd miss the charme. as a near 12-year resident in the outskirts of Pattaya i enjoy what is offered today. for example a 100mbit fiber optic connection vs. the 128k wifi offered by a fistful of hotels or internet cafés 20 years ago.

15 minutes ago, Naam said:

i agree with you but i consider the advantages outweigh by far that some of old Pattaya's charme doesn't exist anymore. if i was, like in olden times, a tourist i'd miss the charme. as a near 12-year resident in the outskirts of Pattaya i enjoy what is offered today. for example a 100mbit fiber optic connection vs. the 128k wifi offered by a fistful of hotels or internet cafés 20 years ago.

As someone who lives in Paradise like yourself I agree with you nearly 100%. I just wish something was done about the traffic.

My goodness, another dopey comment, Jiu-Jitsu.  Or, rubbish, as you like to say.  Of course Thais buy condos!  Seriously can't believe how you could think otherwise.  And, they buy them in Pattaya.  The condo floor I live on has 11 condos and at least 3 of them are owned by Thais.  Lumpini Park Beach Condo where I used to live has mostly Thai owners and a lot of them from Bangkok.  A few Saturdays ago I attended the first general meeting of The Base Condo, the new, big condo on Pattaya Second Road, and the owners in attendance were mostly Thai.  Oh, and they rent condos, too.

1 hour ago, Naam said:

i neither sit in malls nor do i frequent malls. but it's none of my nor your business to comment on those who like malls :coffee1:

That's as inane a retort as I've seen posted here.

Allow me to remind you that this is a discussion forum, replete with differing opinions. Otherwise you might as well suggest that 99% of topics posted here are none of our business.

10 minutes ago, newnative said:

My goodness, another dopey comment, Jiu-Jitsu.  Or, rubbish, as you like to say.  Of course Thais buy condos!  Seriously can't believe how you could think otherwise.  And, they buy them in Pattaya.  The condo floor I live on has 11 condos and at least 3 of them are owned by Thais.  Lumpini Park Beach Condo where I used to live has mostly Thai owners and a lot of them from Bangkok.  A few Saturdays ago I attended the first general meeting of The Base Condo, the new, big condo on Pattaya Second Road, and the owners in attendance were mostly Thai.  Oh, and they rent condos, too.

I didn't say they didn't buy condos. My suggestions is that the condos, other than from the local developers, were not built for them and they certainly aren't taking up the slack. So there is a glut.

10 hours ago, Awohalitsiktoli said:

Sizzler has been in Pattaya for a very long time.  It used to be on the 2nd road side of Royal Garden back in the early to mid-2000s.  Your thoughts, and the thoughts of several other posters, are guided by the false idea that all growth is good (the mantra of cancer cells).  Most people have been indoctrinated to believe this because it fuels capitalism and big profits for the 1%.   It is hard for most people to understand why it is a false and dangerous idea.  Nobody wants to go back and live in a cave without modern conveniences.  We are only stating that there was a point in time when we had virtually everything we needed to live a quality life in Pattaya-Jomtien.  Too much development has destroyed several elements of that quality of life.  Not all people believe this, but many do, especially those who have actually lived here for a long time and know what it used to be like.

Well finally, finally, we now have someone here speaking up for anti-capitalism and the 99% I look forward to the Occupy Pattaya Movement getting their ya-yas out and showing us what's what.

9 hours ago, Jiu-Jitsu said:

That's as inane a retort as I've seen posted here.

Allow me to remind you that this is a discussion forum, replete with differing opinions. Otherwise you might as well suggest that 99% of topics posted here are none of our business.

no problem with opinions as long as they don't contain advice on how to change the lifestyle of others.

It was very clear what you meant and it was a howler!  Once again for the 'thick', yes Thais buy condos--and they live in them, too, as owners or renters. And, they buy groceries at the grocery stores and furniture and housewares at the furniture stores and hammers and paint at the home improvement stores and they shop at the malls and they eat at the restaurants and they use the hospitals when they are sick and buy cars at the car dealers and take their kids to the waterparks and the beach and so on.   As OMG said, most of the development in Pattaya is geared for Thais, the largest population group. The new Harbor Mall is a good example.

16 hours ago, onemorechang said:

Yes i can remember watching movies in English with Thai sub titles at

the Big C,   second road.    great mid week afternoon entertainment,   relaxing drinking Beer Chang and watching the latest releases for 60 baht.

Happy days  :thumbsup:

Heck my first visit was in 2004 and that was now 12 years ago.  Change has happened faster since then, but based on my chats with friends, Big C was there, and 20 years ago in 1996 there was basically as much infrastructure then as now.  More choices now, but nothing particularly unique.  Kicking my self now for not having gone back then.  I had the means, just was not even aware of it much.