Pattaya going downhill!

pepi2005

1 hour ago, JSixpack said:

Sounds positive

<Pattaya Grand Redevelopment Plan snipped>

You seem to like a good rant.

But it rarely amounts to anything. Like someone who shouts to get their point across, but is just shouting the same thing that people didn't understand before.

BTW a Hoddie's salary was far in excess of your figures. 

£70 to 100 per day, six days a week in the late eighties is documented, for the average hoddie.

• Replies 784
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I know you meant your comment as a dig but when I think about it, JJ, Pattaya might be a step up for me--or at least sideways.  I lived for 30 years in northern Virginia, outside of DC.   Sort of a rat race and a lot of people living above their means and borrowed to the hilt.  Housing was very expensive and all  I could ever afford on my state salary was a small condo. The condo I own here is bigger and nicer than any I owned in Virginia--and certainly has a much nicer view.  The weather here is a lot nicer--I hate winter and love that I can swim and exercise and be outdoors all year round.  I tended to hibernate in the winter.  Health care is good--and much less of a hassle than USA.  Great to walk in without an appointment and see a doctor with usually less than a half hour wait.  I think you need to distinguish between the people living here full-time and the visitors.  You've mentioned that you could care less about Pattaya having a mall--understandable as a mall is not important to you as an occasional visitor.  But, for some of us living here all the time, a mall is a big plus, as are a variety of grocery stores, furniture stores, restaurants, movie theaters, home improvement stores, car dealers, and the like. The weekly mundane things you do in London, we do here, too.   I imagine you like having a variety of stores and restaurants in London; so do we here, whether we are expats or Thais.  The new Harbor Mall maybe rates another thumbs down with tourists but I'm in and out of there at least once or twice a week because of its stores and restaurants and proximity to where I live.   I think many of us living here full-time are living lives that are not too different from where we came from.  I know the same things that I've enjoyed doing all my life I still enjoy and I can pursue them here.  Luckily, I never enjoyed snow skiing!  I suppose I could be living in a beach town in Florida or the Carolinas but so far I like living in Asia and being not too far from a lot of interesting places.

2 hours ago, newnative said:

I know you meant your comment as a dig but when I think about it, JJ, Pattaya might be a step up for me--or at least sideways.  I lived for 30 years in northern Virginia, outside of DC.   Sort of a rat race and a lot of people living above their means and borrowed to the hilt.  Housing was very expensive and all  I could ever afford on my state salary was a small condo. The condo I own here is bigger and nicer than any I owned in Virginia--and certainly has a much nicer view.  The weather here is a lot nicer--I hate winter and love that I can swim and exercise and be outdoors all year round.  I tended to hibernate in the winter.  Health care is good--and much less of a hassle than USA.  Great to walk in without an appointment and see a doctor with usually less than a half hour wait.  I think you need to distinguish between the people living here full-time and the visitors.  You've mentioned that you could care less about Pattaya having a mall--understandable as a mall is not important to you as an occasional visitor.  But, for some of us living here all the time, a mall is a big plus, as are a variety of grocery stores, furniture stores, restaurants, movie theaters, home improvement stores, car dealers, and the like. The weekly mundane things you do in London, we do here, too.   I imagine you like having a variety of stores and restaurants in London; so do we here, whether we are expats or Thais.  The new Harbor Mall maybe rates another thumbs down with tourists but I'm in and out of there at least once or twice a week because of its stores and restaurants and proximity to where I live.   I think many of us living here full-time are living lives that are not too different from where we came from.  I know the same things that I've enjoyed doing all my life I still enjoy and I can pursue them here.  Luckily, I never enjoyed snow skiing!  I suppose I could be living in a beach town in Florida or the Carolinas but so far I like living in Asia and being not too far from a lot of interesting places.

You have misunderstood when you state that I "mentioned that you could care less about Pattaya having a mall". That's is not what I wrote. What I wrote was "another mall".

You seem to think that we are all in total disagreement, when we are not.

You sounded the kind of person who was unhappy with life in the USA, but then wanted to bring the USA over to Thailand with you.

You don't seem to understand that we are arguing for your quality of life. So that you can have more green spaces and a better environment in which to live. 

No one is arguing against having mod cons. But it should not be at the expense of the environment.

Everyone has the right to a happy and healthy life, regardless of rich or poor. Whereas some don't seem to care about anything, as long as they can get whatever they want.

I think my main point was that I, and I think many people living full time in Pattaya, are doing many of the same things that they did in their home countries--whatever those home countries may be.  For example, I love to read.  Loved to in America, still love to now.  Because I am happy to have bookstores here doesn't mean I am looking for America in Thailand.   Loved to swim in America, still love to here--just can do it year round now in a bigger pool.  Loved interior design/home fix-ups in America, still love to do it here.  Would still love it if I was living in Singapore or Vietnam.  Am I happy to have interesting stores like Home Port, Decco, Chic Republic and that fun Japanese store out on Sukhumvit? Yes.  Most of us here full time are living ordinary lives--just as we've done all our lives. So we welcome ordinary things like a new restaurant.  It was the same in my USA town, probably the same in an Australian town. "Have you tried the new restaurant yet???"   Most of us aren't spending  our lives on Walking Street or Soi 6.  Would more green space be nice?  Sure, as would better sidewalks and all the other things I and many others have mentioned. Hopefully improvements will come.   But, remember that not all development is removing green space--I doubt there was a forest where Harbor Mall now is or The Bay entertainment complex. A lot of shacky-flimsy buildings are being torn down and being replaced by nicer, more permanent ones.

3 hours ago, newnative said:

I think my main point was that I, and I think many people living full time in Pattaya, are doing many of the same things that they did in their home countries--whatever those home countries may be.  For example, I love to read.  Loved to in America, still love to now.  Because I am happy to have bookstores here doesn't mean I am looking for America in Thailand.   Loved to swim in America, still love to here--just can do it year round now in a bigger pool.  Loved interior design/home fix-ups in America, still love to do it here.  Would still love it if I was living in Singapore or Vietnam.  Am I happy to have interesting stores like Home Port, Decco, Chic Republic and that fun Japanese store out on Sukhumvit? Yes.  Most of us here full time are living ordinary lives--just as we've done all our lives. So we welcome ordinary things like a new restaurant.  It was the same in my USA town, probably the same in an Australian town. "Have you tried the new restaurant yet???"   Most of us aren't spending  our lives on Walking Street or Soi 6.  Would more green space be nice?  Sure, as would better sidewalks and all the other things I and many others have mentioned. Hopefully improvements will come.   But, remember that not all development is removing green space--I doubt there was a forest where Harbor Mall now is or The Bay entertainment complex. A lot of shacky-flimsy buildings are being torn down and being replaced by nicer, more permanent ones.

Are you suggesting that we need more malls in order to have book stores? So what happened to Bookazine? 

Why not have the malls on Sukhumvit and maintain and/or create healthy green spaces in the city itself?

Money talks and the environment comes a poor second.

Of course there was a forest where Harbour Mall used to sit. What are you thinking? 

Anyway, let's hope the new administration can turn things around somewhat, making the best of what is left.

3 hours ago, newnative said:

Are you suggesting that we need more malls in order to have book stores? So what happened to Bookazine? 

Why not have the malls on Sukhumvit and maintain and/or create healthy green spaces in the city itself?

Money talks and the environment comes a poor second.

Of course there was a forest where Harbour Mall used to sit. What are you thinking? 

Anyway, let's hope the new administration can turn things around somewhat, making the best of what is left.

No, I'm not suggesting we need more malls in order to have more bookstores. I'm saying that I like that Pattaya has bookstores since I like to read. I know somebody is going to post that Pattaya had bookstores 20 years ago.  I'm glad it did and I am glad it still does--both new bookstores and used ones.   I'm saying that some of us who live in Pattaya full-time, both foreigners and Thais, like that we have more than one mall.  'Another mall'  is maybe not important to you as a foreign visitor but it is for us living here year-round, especially if it is offering things the other mall doesn't have.  Harbor Mall is different from Central Festival. It's smaller and more focused on family entertainment, including a large playground area, rock climbing wall, and an ice skating rink, as well as some stores catering to raising children.  Several floors are devoted to 'Tukcom' type stores.  My partner and I have had our printer repaired there and also our laptops fixed when we have had problems--it's easier to park and get in and out of for us than the old Tukcom.  Five or six of the upper floors are devoted to office space--this type of commercial office space has been lacking in Pattaya.  So, it's a combination office building/shopping center/entertainment complex--and not just 'another mall'.  If a forest was where Harbor Mall now is it must have been an awfully tiny one because Harbor's footprint is small for a mall and it's mostly surrounded by other buildings.

10 hours ago, Jiu-Jitsu said:

Everyone has the right to a happy and healthy life, regardless of rich or poor.

This is in America.

10 hours ago, Jiu-Jitsu said:

Whereas some don't seem to care about anything, as long as they can get whatever they want.

...and this is in Thailand.

4 hours ago, newnative said:

No, I'm not suggesting we need more malls in order to have more bookstores. I'm saying that I like that Pattaya has bookstores since I like to read. I know somebody is going to post that Pattaya had bookstores 20 years ago.  I'm glad it did and I am glad it still does--both new bookstores and used ones.   I'm saying that some of us who live in Pattaya full-time, both foreigners and Thais, like that we have more than one mall.  'Another mall'  is maybe not important to you as a foreign visitor but it is for us living here year-round, especially if it is offering things the other mall doesn't have.  Harbor Mall is different from Central Festival. It's smaller and more focused on family entertainment, including a large playground area, rock climbing wall, and an ice skating rink, as well as some stores catering to raising children.  Several floors are devoted to 'Tukcom' type stores.  My partner and I have had our printer repaired there and also our laptops fixed when we have had problems--it's easier to park and get in and out of for us than the old Tukcom.  Five or six of the upper floors are devoted to office space--this type of commercial office space has been lacking in Pattaya.  So, it's a combination office building/shopping center/entertainment complex--and not just 'another mall'.  If a forest was where Harbor Mall now is it must have been an awfully tiny one because Harbor's footprint is small for a mall and it's mostly surrounded by other buildings.

I get the feeling that some of us are talking past each other.

I, and I'm sure, the others that loved Pattaya as it was before ( around the mid 90s ) have no objection to malls, book shops, chocolate shops etc etc etc, AS LONG AS THEY DON'T CHANGE THE CHARACTER of Pattaya. I like Festival, but I'd prefer it to be in Jomptein and leave Beach Rd as it was.

Those I disgree with are the ones that think it's OK to destroy what little green space existed in pursuit of profit, especially when what is built is rubbish, or obstructs the view.

The area most, I'm sure, are thinking about is only the beach strip from Naklua to the lighthouse, and back as far as Third Rd. That is very small in comparison to the whole of Pattaya/ Jomptein and could have been left untouched.

Those that MUST destroy everything in the name of progress are sad indeed.

It's a pity that the Americans built their airbase near Pattaya, as if they had built it farther away Pattaya might have avoided it's unpleasant fate of today.

Whenever I read some moralist that comes on TV bemoaning the existence of the bar scene in Pattaya I laugh like a drain, because without the girls and the bars, Pattaya would not exist as a city today. At most it would be like Hua Hin.

Edited by thaibeachlovers

21 hours ago, newnative said:

Not everybody believes Pattaya is going downhill, TBL.   My New Zealand has one condo he lives in year round and one he rents out--which should make the posters who always say 'just rent, don't buy' happy.

I'm happy to hear that. I guess he's living the dream and not having to live in NZ must make him happy every day. It's too cold, too regulated and too expensive, IMO.

19 hours ago, Jiu-Jitsu said:

You seem to like a good rant.

But it rarely amounts to anything. Like someone who shouts to get their point across, but is just shouting the same thing that people didn't understand before.

You've confused me with somebody who gives a shit. As I said a page ago,

Nobody learns anything from a TVF thread except for purely factual information very narrowly defined, like "where can I buy a Samsung TV remote?". Nobody changes his mind.

I'm mainly having a laugh, just as our whingers are having an enjoyable whinge. But, being naturally helpful, I do try to throw in some gratuitous historical perspective and suggestions, which, were they but heeded, would alleviate the awful sufferings of our whingers, poor dears.

BTW a Hoddie's salary was far in excess of your figures.

£70 to 100 per day, six days a week in the late eighties is documented, for the average hoddie.

They aren't "my" figures, as was clear from the link I gave. You got a problem, take up with mysalary.co.uk. I'm sure they'll appreciate your input. Nor was I talking about the 80s anyway: around here, the magic number starts at 10 years ago.

But talk's cheap. In the absence of your supposed documentation, I'll go with mysalary.co.uk, thank you.

6 hours ago, NanLaew said:

This is in America.

...and this is in Thailand.

Actually in America everybody (supposedly) has the right to the pursuit of happiness, which is not the same thing as having it. Pattaya offered/offers having it but this doesn't come with any rights. The malls are less a totem of the decline of Pattaya and more a sign that the 500 bahts of moaning old geezers just don't cut it any more with the hot ones.

Edited by SheungWan

27 minutes ago, SheungWan said:

Actually in America everybody (supposedly) has the right to the pursuit of happiness, which is not the same thing as having it. Pattaya offered/offers having it but this doesn't come with any rights. The malls are less a totem of the decline of Pattaya and more a sign that the 500 bahts of moaning old geezers just don't cut it any more with the hot ones.

In my limited experience, "the hot ones" aren't worth even 500 as they think they are god's gift and the sun shines ........................

The ones that provide good value are the ones that have to try harder.

3 hours ago, SheungWan said:

2 hours ago, thaibeachlovers said:

In my limited experience, "the hot ones" aren't worth even 500 as they think they are god's gift and the sun shines ........................

The ones that provide good value are the ones that have to try harder.

as I was saying...... :cheesy:

Having now been in Pattaya a day, I don't even understand why this thread was posted. There is nothing "going downhill" about Pattaya. Other than the fact that Pattaya has ALWAYS ( since it came fun city ) been on the "down side" what with the decrepit infrastructure and the rubbish beach, it isn't going downhill at all. The place is busting with people, and it's not even high season. If going downhill meant lacking people, then it must be going "uphill".

Sure, at 7pm the bars were virtually empty, and loads of closed bars everywhere, but it's been like that since turn of the century. The bargirls assure me that the crowds come later.

I did notice that the girls are now less attractive than ever I saw before, and I didn't see any really good lookers except outside gogos. Maybe the stunners are attracting customers via the internet and bypassing the bar scene altogether. Perhaps that could be "going downhill".

They built a big condo complex right on Second Rd, and I assume they did their homework, though why people would want to buy a condo right in traffic congested, decrepit central Pattaya I have no idea.

Definitely many drivers are cretins, thinking they have a right to speed down narrow sois with people walking in the street, and there seems to be plenty of unfriendly, unhelpful and frankly nasty hotel staff about, but does that constitute "going downhill?

As for Pattaya itself, other than a few new buildings, it hasn't changed much; same broken pavements as twenty years ago, same power poles with steel boxes hanging off then at face height, same excessive numbers of baht buses clogging the roads, same potholed sois, same traffic blocking hawker stalls everywhere. Even the Russians are everywhere. Didn't see many Chinese though.

Even the bar beer that Chicken hung out at in 1996 is still there, though it's had a different colour paint applied since.

Certainly, prices are on the uphill, and the girls are charging 4 times monger accommodation prices, as compared to 20 years ago when it was only 1/2 as much again. They also seem harder, and more commercial than before. That could be "going downhill".

1 hour ago, thaibeachlovers said:

Other than the fact that Pattaya has ALWAYS ( since it came fun city ) been on the "down side" what with the decrepit infrastructure and the rubbish beach

Sure, at 7pm the bars were virtually empty, and loads of closed bars everywhere

I did notice that the girls are now less attractive than ever I saw before

Definitely many drivers are cretins, thinking they have a right to speed down narrow sois with people walking in the street, and there seems to be plenty of unfriendly, unhelpful and frankly nasty hotel staff about

Certainly, prices are on the uphill, and the girls are charging 4 times monger accommodation prices

no comment

"Other than the fact that Pattaya has ALWAYS ( since it came fun city ) been on the "down side" what with the decrepit infrastructure and the rubbish beach "

"Sure, at 7pm the bars were virtually empty, and loads of closed bars everywhere"

"I did notice that the girls are now less attractive than ever I saw before"

"Definitely many drivers are cretins, thinking they have a right to speed down narrow sois with people walking in the street, and there seems to be plenty of unfriendly, unhelpful and frankly nasty hotel staff about "

"Certainly, prices are on the uphill, and the girls are charging 4 times monger accommodation prices"

but

"There is nothing "going downhill" about Pattaya "

really?

Edited by pattayadude

7 minutes ago, pattayadude said:

"Other than the fact that Pattaya has ALWAYS ( since it came fun city ) been on the "down side" what with the decrepit infrastructure and the rubbish beach "

"Sure, at 7pm the bars were virtually empty, and loads of closed bars everywhere"

"I did notice that the girls are now less attractive than ever I saw before"

"Definitely many drivers are cretins, thinking they have a right to speed down narrow sois with people walking in the street, and there seems to be plenty of unfriendly, unhelpful and frankly nasty hotel staff about "

"Certainly, prices are on the uphill, and the girls are charging 4 times monger accommodation prices"

but

"There is nothing "going downhill" about Pattaya "

really?

There is a difference between "being downhill"and "GOING downhill". IMO Pattaya has always been downhill, and I love it just that way.

The examples I give don't mean anything re going downhill. It's just some things I noticed.

On 9/12/2016 at 11:17 PM, kevozman1 said:

Glad to see the Pattaya doom 'n gloom threads are still popular on TV :)  I have to say I find them entertaining.

Pattaya , and it,s   world famous   celebrity fame ,

is due in no short time, to  the hard working issan GFT ladies  {girl friend type }.

soi 6 and soi 8 , is  where  i met both my wives , and we all lived happily ever after .

Now , i am a  old  grumpy , know it all,  on the Issan forum ,  i wish 555 .

"Why anyone would want to buy a condo in traffic congested central Pattaya I have no idea."  I think you answered your question.  The traffic congestion.  With a condo in central Pattaya, you don't need to get into the traffic congestion a lot of the time. You can walk about anywhere--the beach, the bars, Walking Street, Royal Garden, Central Festival, The Avenue, new hospital down the road, and lots of restaurants.  And, no I am not a real estate agent--just pointing out that for some it's a good location and you can do without a car a lot of the time. 

2 hours ago, newnative said:

"Why anyone would want to buy a condo in traffic congested central Pattaya I have no idea."  I think you answered your question.  The traffic congestion.  With a condo in central Pattaya, you don't need to get into the traffic congestion a lot of the time. You can walk about anywhere--the beach, the bars, Walking Street, Royal Garden, Central Festival, The Avenue, new hospital down the road, and lots of restaurants.  And, no I am not a real estate agent--just pointing out that for some it's a good location and you can do without a car a lot of the time. 

Yes you can, but to cross Second is a huge problem, and walking down the pavement free sois to the beach is a risk to life and limb.

I can't see the target clientel being happy with the congestion after paying so much for the condo.

I cross Pattaya Second Road all the time--it's not a 'huge problem'. You just wait for a little break in the traffic and weave across.  If you are too delicate to walk down one of the sois to the beach you can always walk thru Mike Shopping Mall or Royal Garden and be in air-conditioning the whole time.  People buying or renting a condo in central Pattaya want to be where the action is, whether it's BKK people coming  on weekends or others living here year-round--that's the target client and the traffic isn't going to be a turnoff for them--especially since they are mostly walking everywhere.

I've been checking hotel prices and was quite boggled as to the number of new ones that think a bit of marble and glass puts them into the over 2,000 baht a night bracket. Plenty of very nice hotels between 1,000 and 1,500 to pick from.

Anything over 1,200 seem rather devoid of customers though.

Even the 950 a night place I'm staying at in a prime location on Second has many empty rooms. It's a bit old, but still very acceptable.

Perhaps they pick up later at night, but apart from a few well known popular barbeers, most seemed empty, other than the bored bargirls. The ones down sois are noticeably bereft of customers- not that it encourages the girls to try harder to entice the few guys walking past. Playing with the machine seems far more important than business.

It's a bit sad when the best looking girls in Pattaya are working in 7 11s.

I have also noticed that few of them smile anymore. Not that it's unusual now anywhere I have been in LOS.

19 hours ago, thaibeachlovers said:

I've been checking hotel prices and was quite boggled as to the number of new ones that think a bit of marble and glass puts them into the over 2,000 baht a night bracket. Plenty of very nice hotels between 1,000 and 1,500 to pick from.

Anything over 1,200 seem rather devoid of customers though.

Even the 950 a night place I'm staying at in a prime location on Second has many empty rooms. It's a bit old, but still very acceptable.

Perhaps they pick up later at night, but apart from a few well known popular barbeers, most seemed empty, other than the bored bargirls. The ones down sois are noticeably bereft of customers- not that it encourages the girls to try harder to entice the few guys walking past. Playing with the machine seems far more important than business.

It's a bit sad when the best looking girls in Pattaya are working in 7 11s.

I have also noticed that few of them smile anymore. Not that it's unusual now anywhere I have been in LOS.

HAHA.  Some funny things you say.  Some true some not from my thinking.  The problem with complainers about this place is that they have not traveled much.   If this place is bad then anyone has the choice to go back to their home country.  Unless in many cases they cannot afford their home country, which is why they are here anyway.  It is what it is here.  If one does like to drink a little, likes girls (young or old), likes freedom. like the beach, decent food, decent infrastructure,  decent priced accommodations then... go home. Live in purgatory.  I have traveled all over the world.  Had a nice home in California near the beach.  This place by far is better for me at age 62 and my desired lifestyle. It is fantastic I think.  I guess some people are thinking this should be some HISO French Riviera place, HAHAHA, good luck. so stupid.  It is not, which is why it is so awesome.

Edited by bkk6060

14 hours ago, bkk6060 said:

If this place is bad then anyone has the choice to go back to their home country.  Unless in many cases they cannot afford their home country, which is why they are here anyway.

maybe a group likes the young chicks,relatively cheap booze and accommodations they can find in pattaya.

maybe another group likes the combination of  the beach life(average quality) during day and the bar life during the night with it's relative affordability.

Pattaya does have all  mentioned above with average quality IMHO and this combination with the relatively low price tag probably doesn't exist  back home, wherever it may be.

At the end of the day, some are happy and can even afford to travel around but some can't, some are bored because of the repetition or lack of friends, some are getting old, some have gotten old,some can't go back, some already went back, some on their way in and some on their way out.

and some, (including myself)have too much time to type away their complaints.

life is a roller coaster.Enjoy the ride! :partytime2: