Pattaya going downhill!

pepi2005

• Replies 784
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

12 minutes ago, DrTuner said:

Yes, it's been going downwards. So has the rest of the world, leaving Pattaya still a shining star in a horrible world full of PC, neoconservatism,etc.

Indeed, it's only because Pattaya remains as a non PC middle finger to the entire western world that I feel there is hope for the human race. If one day it is sanitised like all the PC ridden over regulated **** holes in the western world, it will be a sad day indeed.

2 hours ago, Naam said:

please don't include me in "we". even 5 years later the selection of food, especially imported stuff was a fraction of what is available now. the deplorable speed of internet i have mentioned already and the variety of restaurants was poor compared with today. Suvarnabhumi did not exist and it was a gamble when to leave for Don Muang in order not to miss your flight. everybody has a different perspective.

Ok, I actually was not including you, but it could be interpreted that way.  You are right about imported food.  I do remember Big-C being here around 1999 (not sure).  Some canned goods were imported, but we had nothing back then like we have today at places such as Villa Supermarket (where you can actually buy a can of Dr. Pepper).   And we do have more food/restaurant options.  And, yes, the Swamp airport did not exist.  I have to agree with you on all three of these points.  As I think you know now, I am not stating that there have not been positive developments.  And it seems clear from your posts that you are not stating that all development has been positive. 

If Pattaya is getting too big there are lots of smaller places to move to.   For me, it's a nice size now.  Yes, the traffic can be bad--but it was far worse where I came from in USA and the distances I had to travel were longer.  Pattaya is fairly compact and even when traffic is busy it still doesn't really take that long to get from Pattaya to, say, the southern part of Jomtien.  And, certainly it's nothing like the traffic in Bangkok.  My partner's sisters live in Bangkok and they leave for work around 5:30AM and get home around 7PM or later.  We might be just a bit spoiled here and not know it.

On Sunday, September 11, 2016 at 5:33 PM, thaibeachlovers said:

( Software malfunction )

If you have to ask that question, I doubt you even grasp what the OP is talking about. The OP is, IMO, about the bar scene, that's all. All the back and forth about condos and malls is just extraneous off topic noise.

Funny, coming from one of our preeminent off-topic noise generators. I used to eat my lunch across from the Police Station. No, the post I responded to, by the OP himself, happened not to be about condos & malls. Hence you've failed to read what he said and hence grasp what I'm asking, which is, why are "all" the McDonald's, tailor shops, "3D shows" and jewelry shops destroying the OP's enjoyment of the bar scene, esp. since he's concerned with the period of the last 1.5 years. Poor man needs a guide to lead him to a bar in Pattaya--a new record for blindness among our complainers. But he has no problem seeing tailors. Now, me, I've always seen those. :)

Edited by JSixpack

3 hours ago, balo said:

Pattaya has grown too big, its like a city but without the right infrastructure. Compare it with Chiang Mai , good infrastructure, traffic lights that actually works.

If they want to make Pattaya bigger then turn it into a real city and not a garbage dump.

Someone living in Bangkok should hardly be throwing stones at Pattaya's infrustructure  :rolleyes:

On Sunday, September 11, 2016 at 5:27 PM, thaibeachlovers said:

What you don't seem to understand is that they aren't calling for Pattaya to ban the bars, and both seem to accept Pattaya as it was. My beef is with those that want to change it to something it's never going to be.

Nobody said they were calling for any such thing. Typical straw man argument. They accept Pattaya as it IS, which is not radically different from what it was 2 years ago. Your little whinge at the moment wasn't about those that [sic] want change. It was that you don't understand why anyone lives in Pattaya if not (mainly) for the bar scene. The two quotations I gave you and the three threads I referenced told you why. As I said, it was talking a wall, as you've confirmed once again. :D Incredibly few among our thousands of commentards have called for any apocalyptic BANNING OF THE BAR SCENE. Be nice if you've get over that paranoia. But I guess we'll have to deal with it daily. BTW, how many bars are required?

Next!

4 hours ago, Awohalitsiktoli said:

It would be interesting at this point for somebody to construct a poll for the following question:  Has the quality of life in Pattaya-Jomtien increased or decreased over the past ten years.   I do not think that would take us off topic, but maybe the OP is not interested in this.

I'd have no problem whatsoever with that!

Just now, Awohalitsiktoli said:

Good.  I vote to create a poll on the subject.  But, I have no idea how to do it with the new upgrade.  Any volunteers?  The question:  Has the quality of life in Pattaya-Jomtien increased or decreased over the past ten years.

The OP is SHOCKED at how far Pattaya has gone downhill in the last 1.5 years. That makes irrelevant all the nostalgia for the 80s and 90s. Sorry!

2 minutes ago, Awohalitsiktoli said:

Good.  I vote to create a poll on the subject.  But, I have no idea how to do it with the new upgrade.  Any volunteers?  The question:  Has the quality of life in Pattaya-Jomtien increased or decreased over the past ten years.

Anyway, the forum is packed with naysayers. The outcome is totally predictable and would just lead to another repetition of this thread. Why isn't this one enough for you? How many times to you need to hear the chorus? What difference will it make?

Well @JSixpack if what you're anticipating is an accurate take on reality, at least it would be clear whose vote was yours, right? After all, you belong to the few - if you're not the only one in here - who is a truly positive person and who has a realistic take about what's really going on, and that is that Pattaya is NOT going downhill in any thinkable aspect! :clap2:

@Awohalitsiktoli it would probably be most interesting if the poll would ask for several aspects of living / staying in Pattaya, because IF we've learned something from this thread so far, it would be that a simple 'yes' or 'no' would probably be too superficial.

On 9/10/2016 at 6:56 PM, Awohalitsiktoli said:

Wouldn't it be hideous to have to live on an island in a hut with not much around but nature.  Actually, some of the most expensive holiday destinations on the planet cater to people who want just that (albeit with 5 star luxury):

luxury-hotel-on-a-private-island-of-fiji-4.jpg

This is on a private island in Fiji.  Horrible looking isn't it.  No traffic jams, no high-rise condo units.......and look at all those terrible trees.  There is almost no development that I can see.  It must be going "downhill."  Maybe if they would just come and take a look at Pattaya-Jomtien they could learn something about development that is going uphill.

It does look horrible. Maybe OK for one day.  What a boring ridiculous place to even think about.  I would die in a month in a place like that.

1 hour ago, OMGImInPattaya said:

Someone living in Bangkok should hardly be throwing stones at Pattaya's infrustructure  :rolleyes:

Sorry I am comparing with CM. I have lived in Pattaya/Jomtien for 3 years now. Before that Bangkok and yes they are both struggling with the infrastructure. I like the availability of western restaurants and shops, not so much the rest of the "package".

Edited by balo

I traveled to over 20 counties before I decided where I wanted to retire.  I had a nice home in the USA California.  Pattaya by far is the best place for me to live life. To be alive.  A little drinking, partying, girls, beach, food, gyms, good prices, etc.  If one wants to live out their golden years on some island or some country farm, good luck it makes me sick and I would die.  I chose Pattaya because by far it was the best place for me to stay active, have a nice time. meet girls, etc.  But, I worked for over 30 years in a good job and have decent money so that is no problem.  If one cannot make it here or complains, it is 95% about no money I think.  But if you cannot make it here, good luck in Europe or the USA.  Or, some are just old cheap charlies and will never change. 

Edited by bkk6060

6 minutes ago, bkk6060 said:

I traveled to over 20 counties before I decided where I wanted to retire.  I had a nice home in the USA California.  Pattaya by far is the best place for me to live life. To be alive.  A little drinking, partying, girls, beach, food, gyms, good prices, etc.  If one wants to live out their golden years on some island or some country farm, good luck it makes me sick and I would die.  I chose Pattaya because by far it was the best place for me to stay active, have a nice time. meet girls, etc.  But, I worked for over 30 years in a good job and have decent money so that is no problem.  If one cannot make it here or complains, it is 95% about no money I think.  But if you cannot make it here, good luck in Europe or the USA.  Or, some are just old cheap charlies and will never change. 

Looks like somebody is asking "friends" to post here (bit transparent). Time for a ThaiVisa poll on the subject. We probably should do it in a new thread and heed the words of the OP(see 496).

52 minutes ago, pepi2005 said:

Well @JSixpack if what you're anticipating is an accurate take on reality, at least it would be clear whose vote was yours, right? After all, you belong to the few - if you're not the only one in here - who is a truly positive person and who has a realistic take about what's really going on, and that is that Pattaya is NOT going downhill in any thinkable aspect! :clap2:

So far about all we've been able to learn as to why you think Pattaya is going downhill is that, compared to 1.5 years ago, your delicate aesthetic sensibilities are now affronted, you're terribly worried about condo owners (following the TVF Poster LIGHTS ON AT NIGHT rule) though you're just a renter yourself whinging about not being able to afford the modern barfine (though by one TVF economist's measure, the fine actually less than it was 2 years ago), and you can't find any bars. And your poor sensitive butt has been discomfited by potholes, OMG. None which made much sense as they've always been true about Pattaya. You'd have a case about the traffic but that doesn't bother you. ;) Meanwhile, many have pointed out what they regard as positive developments, which you've ignored in true TVF poster trad.

@Awohalitsiktoli it would probably be most interesting if the poll would ask for several aspects of living / staying in Pattaya, because IF we've learned something from this thread so far, it would be that a simple 'yes' or 'no' would probably be too superficial.

Nobody learns anything from a TVF thread except for purely factual information very narrowly defined, like "where can I buy a Samsung TV remote?". Nobody changes his mind. Our old deathwatchers have been blathering their same complaints and failed prophecies for "the last 10 years." They're lovin' this! Similarly you haven't learned a thing and won't answer any questions about your distress, such as a simple "Why?" that might lead to its mitigation. So why not just keep this thread going then? More attention for you, after all. 

Edited by JSixpack

I suspect a poll on Pattaya would, indeed,  have a negative result as it seems that far more people like to complain and criticize than compliment and praise.  The gaggle who see the glass as half empty rather than half full will likely vote often--with glee.  In reality, probably the majority living here are by and large satisfied--or else why would they be here?   And, remember, a number of the negative postings are coming from people who, by their own admission, don't actually live here.  Remember the poster who said he would never set foot in Pattaya except he happens to have some friends who live here.  For someone who doesn't live here and would never live here, he seems to spend an awful lot of time running down Pattaya and the folks who do live here.  Apparently we are all living lives of quiet desperation--especially if we set foot in an air-conditioned mall.

2 hours ago, SheungWan said:

or even Chiang Mai.

some years ago i spent a few days in Chiang Mai and liked very much some of the area's "infrastructure". rinsing my face after shaving i enjoyed the cold water from the tap (it was end of november). 

18 minutes ago, pattayadude said:

last stop?

Not even close.  Pattaya is a good springboard for the rest of Thailand.  A good place to be while you ease into the real culture and slowly withdraw from the cheese and dairy crowd to the fish sauce and peppers crowd.  

1 hour ago, Rimmer said:

Multiple bickering baiting and flaming posts have been removed, also replies.

This off topic nonsense can stop now please

Fine with me.  We are going around in a circle, getting nowhere.  I just constructed a poll, which the OP encouraged me to do.  Unfortunately, only three questions could be asked, so I decided to limit it to one:  Over the past ten years, has the quality of life increased or decreased in Pattaya-Jomtien.  I wanted to get input on crime (including the new phenomenon of violent gangs), air pollution, water pollution, noise pollution, infrastructure, medical care, housing/condo availability, food options (including imported food), etc.  

20 hours ago, JSixpack said:

Nobody said they were calling for any such thing. Typical straw man argument. They accept Pattaya as it IS, which is not radically different from what it was 2 years ago. Your little whinge at the moment wasn't about those that [sic] want change. It was that you don't understand why anyone lives in Pattaya if not (mainly) for the bar scene. The two quotations I gave you and the three threads I referenced told you why. As I said, it was talking a wall, as you've confirmed once again. :D Incredibly few among our thousands of commentards have called for any apocalyptic BANNING OF THE BAR SCENE. Be nice if you've get over that paranoia. But I guess we'll have to deal with it daily. BTW, how many bars are required?

Next!

I hesitate to reply as it could be construed as bickering, but you have implied that I said something I didn't and I must defend myself.

I don't say "I don't understand why anyone lives in Pattaya if not (mainly) for the bar scene". I do say " I don't understand why people that DON'T LIKE THE BAR SCENE stay in Pattaya. That is completely different from what you claim I said.

As for banning the barbeers/ gogos, if all those that come on Pattaya forum threads complaining about the bar scene aren't asking for the bars to be removed I don't what they are asking for.

BTW, how many bars are required?

That's an easy one. There have been way too many bars since the late 90s, so a 25% reduction in numbers would allow the ones remaining to prosper.

I for one would not complain if Beach and Second north of Central Rd were devoid of barbeers. Those few complexes remaining are no longer as good as they were last century. The exception, of course, would be Soi 6 and I'm not saying that should go.

2 hours ago, Awohalitsiktoli said:

Fine with me.  We are going around in a circle, getting nowhere.  I just constructed a poll, which the OP encouraged me to do.  Unfortunately, only three questions could be asked, so I decided to limit it to one:  Over the past ten years, has the quality of life increased or decreased in Pattaya-Jomtien.  I wanted to get input on crime (including the new phenomenon of violent gangs), air pollution, water pollution, noise pollution, infrastructure, medical care, housing/condo availability, food options (including imported food), etc. 

Violent gangs?

I haven't heard that before. There has been a street crime problem in Pattaya since Purachai tried to destroy the farang scene, but it was just guys on m'bikes snatching gold necklaces and bags. You are implying something more serious and organised.

How bad is it?

3 minutes ago, thaibeachlovers said:

Violent gangs?

I haven't heard that before. There has been a street crime problem in Pattaya since Purachai tried to destroy the farang scene, but it was just guys on m'bikes snatching gold necklaces and bags. You are implying something more serious and organised.

How bad is it?

It is bad and growing worse.  Now they are congregating along Jomtien Beach.  Be careful.  The news is already filled with evidence of violence among youth gangs in the area.  I am checking out of this thread now.  Be sure and vote on whether or not the quality of life in Pattaya-Jomtien has increased or decreased over the past ten years (another thread I constructed this morning).

DABVpuJ.jpg

Woods clearing for some new project on Pratumnak Hill that just started yesterday. :(

I remember pondering over retiring in Pattaya one day. IF I would still do it (will depend on average costs of living in Thailand and the 'fun factor' the city will still have by then : to outline it to JSixPack in order to prevent or allow him for more ridiculing and patronizing, to me quite frankly, that means enough affordable p4p opportunities; if my main interest would be great beaches, cheap tropical fruit, intellectual stimulation, availability of shopping malls or fancy restaurants, I would rather move elsewhere), I wonder whether there would still be any cooling and refreshing GREEN remaining on the hill - where I live - by then. Realistically I'm afraid, the times of relaxed jogging in halfway fresh air up there will be gone for 'good'.

By the way, I happened to witness a gangster pursuit between 2nd road and Beach Road in broad daylight just yesterday. Guy driving at full speed on a heavy bike against traffic on 2nd road, about 20 minutes later I just passed where they had stopped him on the Dolphin roundabout in Naklua. Looking at his face, no one you would like to run in an empy soi at night. 

@Awohalitsiktoli what's the URL?

13 minutes ago, pepi2005 said:

Guy driving at full speed on a heavy bike against traffic on 2nd road, about 20 minutes later I just passed where they had stopped him on the Dolphin roundabout in Naklua

if he arrived the Dolphin roundabout by taking the 2nd road, he couldn't have been riding "against" the traffic:gigglem: