Pattaya going downhill!

pepi2005

1 hour ago, Bender said:

Confused? Lol

You are the one who is confused,

Who is the one, who posted a dozen of items crime news on a pattaya forum?

You never been to pattaya but you compare it to Vietnam. I am sure you never been to Vietnam either.

I wonder why you are wasting, your and our time on this subforum. 

:coffee1:

erratum : Who is the one, who posted a dozen of items crime news about Vietnam on a pattaya forum?

• Replies 784
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

21 hours ago, Awohalitsiktoli said:

It is astonishing how much effort a certain poster (not you Londoendan) is exerting to put lipstick on an obvious pig, while insulting every person who disgrees with him. 

Can't be me as what would be a big effort for you is a piece o' cake for me. Sorry. By the time one of our old curmudgeons formulates another sneer, I've already finished my post--which has substance rather than just another chant of "me no like."

But the effort, such as it is, is directed to put lipstick on the poster pigs--or help them to do so for themselves--a minority of the overall expat population in Pattaya. :) True, I'm not succeeding but having a good time anyway.

Edited by JSixpack

21 hours ago, Awohalitsiktoli said:

Yes, a lot of changes are happening and many point to a reality:  Pattaya-Jomtien is going downhill fast.  It is astonishing how much effort a certain poster (not you Londoendan) is exerting to put lipstick on an obvious pig, while insulting every person who disgrees with him.  Most, not all, of the people I have been talking with (restaurant owners, people heavily invested in real estate, expats in general) say that it "has never been this bad."  Many want to sell their condo or business and get out of here. 

In your six years of pointing out the decline of Pattaya which year has the largest decline?  

My main gripe about Pattaya is the horrible traffic. BUT wait, where is the horrible traffic coming from? It doesn't look like all the traffic is outbound. If Pattaya were so bad, wouldn't it be shrinking instead of growing? I wouldn't live there because of the noise and congestion. Fortunately there is an abundance of baht buses. If more people would leave their cars at home and take the baht buses, traffic would be more tolerable. When I first bought my condo in Jomtien, Soi Chaiyapruk had very little traffic. Now that road is built up end to end and the traffic is horrible. You bashers should think about why the Pattaya area is growing so fast.

1 hour ago, Gary A said:

My main gripe about Pattaya is the horrible traffic. BUT wait, where is the horrible traffic coming from? It doesn't look like all the traffic is outbound. If Pattaya were so bad, wouldn't it be shrinking instead of growing? I wouldn't live there because of the noise and congestion. Fortunately there is an abundance of baht buses. If more people would leave their cars at home and take the baht buses, traffic would be more tolerable. When I first bought my condo in Jomtien, Soi Chaiyapruk had very little traffic. Now that road is built up end to end and the traffic is horrible. You bashers should think about why the Pattaya area is growing so fast.

Cancer cells also grow.  Is that a good thing?  One assumption we need to all get over is that "all growth is good, and more is always better."  Going downhill is not simply a reflection of growth.  It also relates to quality of life.  There comes a point when growth has a negative impact on the quality of life.  I think Pattaya-Jomtien passed that point long ago.

1 minute ago, Awohalitsiktoli said:

Cancer cells also grow.  Is that a good thing?  One assumption we need to all get over is that "all growth is good, and more is always better."  Going downhill is not simply a reflection of growth.  It also relates to quality of life.  There comes a point when growth has a negative impact on the quality of life.  I think Pattaya-Jomtien passed that point long ago.

The problem with the "entertainment" zone of Pattaya is that they funnel all the traffic through it, even though most probably don't want to drive along Beach Rd if they could avoid it.

Given that there are many that profess to hate the entertainment in Pattaya, and are only there for the golf, they need to start developing a different area near to Sukhumvit where people can stay, other than Beach and Second. Judging by the negative comments on TV about the zone, that should keep away a few thousand at least.

I understand the point several of you are making that the growth of Pattaya is not necessarily a good thing, particularly in an unplanned way.  However, the OP stated that Pattaya was going downhill because it was not growing.  The person wrote that, many, many projects were being abandoned, bars and shops were being closed, tourist numbers were in decline etc.

Many of these items have been discussed and several incorrect observations were corrected (at least, in the mind of this poster).

As this thread evolves it seems the tone, according to some, is that Pattaya is going downhill due to it's expansion, not contraction.  I don't think the OP expected that.

If nothing else, Pattaya appears to bring out some passionate views, both for and against.  That does seem unique to the area.  While people in other towns and cities have their likes and dislikes of where they live, work, relax and play, the level of attack and defence on those places does not seem to reach the levels as the mention of 'Pattaya' does.

There are even posters, who claim to dislike Pattaya, that get upset when they think you are being negative about the place.  Dare I say that many feel a great pride for Pattaya, regardless of their view?

As always, it's been an interesting topic to see unfold.

1 hour ago, Stray said:

I understand the point several of you are making that the growth of Pattaya is not necessarily a good thing, particularly in an unplanned way.  However, the OP stated that Pattaya was going downhill because it was not growing.  The person wrote that, many, many projects were being abandoned, bars and shops were being closed, tourist numbers were in decline etc.

Many of these items have been discussed and several incorrect observations were corrected (at least, in the mind of this poster).

As this thread evolves it seems the tone, according to some, is that Pattaya is going downhill due to it's expansion, not contraction.  I don't think the OP expected that.

If nothing else, Pattaya appears to bring out some passionate views, both for and against.  That does seem unique to the area.  While people in other towns and cities have their likes and dislikes of where they live, work, relax and play, the level of attack and defence on those places does not seem to reach the levels as the mention of 'Pattaya' does.

There are even posters, who claim to dislike Pattaya, that get upset when they think you are being negative about the place.  Dare I say that many feel a great pride for Pattaya, regardless of their view?

It is possible that the unrestrained growth of the recent past has harmed the quality of life, which is now showing up in the form of business closures and the desire of many expats to "jump ship."   It is clear that loads of people are coming here every weekend, mostly from Bangkok, and Chinese tourists are still coming here, along with a fewer number of Russians.  Are they spending enough money to keep the economy afloat?  Maybe in some sectors, but I get the impression that people are struggling financially, even after the "growth."  Something is wrong.  But not everything is wrong.  There are solutions, but that is for another thread.

1 hour ago, Stray said:

Before you pass comment on the comments, why don't you keep your views to yourself and actually visit Pattaya??

On ‎8‎/‎24‎/‎2016 at 7:37 PM, JSixpack said:

No, because you only whinge. And you call any objective observer "a real estate agent" etc. because he can see both the bad and good, points out the good, and laughs at the silliness of the whinge.

What the heck is a "whinge?"

On 8/30/2016 at 0:30 PM, Awohalitsiktoli said:

Yes, a lot of changes are happening and many point to a reality:  Pattaya-Jomtien is going downhill fast.  It is astonishing how much effort a certain poster (not you Londoendan) is exerting to put lipstick on an obvious pig, while insulting every person who disgrees with him.  Most, not all, of the people I have been talking with (restaurant owners, people heavily invested in real estate, expats in general) say that it "has never been this bad."  Many want to sell their condo or business and get out of here. 

Maybe Jomtien but one is stupid to go there in the first place it is a SH.   Pattaya is actually doing well now.  My buddy just sold his place in North Pats for 16 million, a profit of 6 million.  Central Pats particularly "The Base" is very busy many Chinese want to be here now.

The problem with business owners here that are Falang is they have no sense of customer service.  Not friendly in many cases and have no idea how to run a business.  There are many successful businesses, restaurants it you know what you are doing.

26 minutes ago, bkk6060 said:

Maybe Jomtien but one is stupid to go there in the first place it is a SH.   Pattaya is actually doing well now.  My buddy just sold his place in North Pats for 16 million, a profit of 6 million.  Central Pats particularly "The Base" is very busy many Chinese want to be here now.

The problem with business owners here that are Falang is they have no sense of customer service.  Not friendly in many cases and have no idea how to run a business.  There are many successful businesses, restaurants it you know what you are doing.

Look, I don't want to blow you or your buddies bubble, but a 6m Baht profit means nothing unless you give the timeframe that it was achieved in.

It's a bit like buying a house for $2,500 in 1963 and selling it 50 years later for $500,000

I have been of the opinion that the only people in Pattaya making money are the landowners. The business places and bars that belong to the Thais are fat and healthy. The majority of farang business owners are just making the landlords richer. Too high of prices to try to pay the too high rent.

6 hours ago, yaagjon said:

Before you pass comment on the comments, why don't you keep your views to yourself and actually visit Pattaya??

By visiting Pattaya, that would change my view about you how?

7 minutes ago, Gary A said:

I have been of the opinion that the only people in Pattaya making money are the landowners. The business places and bars that belong to the Thais are fat and healthy. The majority of farang business owners are just making the landlords richer. Too high of prices to try to pay the too high rent.

A lot of people say that the Farang are not the equal of Thais when it comes to business.  They have no training and never served an apprenticeship so what can you expect.  :rolleyes:

10 hours ago, Awohalitsiktoli said:

It is possible that the unrestrained growth of the recent past has harmed the quality of life, which is now showing up in the form of business closures and the desire of many expats to "jump ship."   It is clear that loads of people are coming here every weekend, mostly from Bangkok, and Chinese tourists are still coming here, along with a fewer number of Russians.  Are they spending enough money to keep the economy afloat?  Maybe in some sectors, but I get the impression that people are struggling financially, even after the "growth."  Something is wrong.  But not everything is wrong.  There are solutions, but that is for another thread.

"It is clear that loads of people are coming here every weekend, mostly from Bangkok" 

Actually this is actually one of the biggest myth( or BS) that you can read on pattaya forum. 

These thai people that visit every week end, dont come from Bangkok, in fact they come mostly from Chonburi for a day trip. 

They come in family in a pick up, they do a BBQ in jomtiem. They bring the foods and the drinks with them. They sit on the concrete ground and eat there.

Except the ice cube from 7-Eleven , these thai people dont spend a single baht. They are in fact worse than the Chinese Zero baht tour.

These people dont sleep in hotel, dont do shopping in Central, dont go to WS. No they just spend an afternoon there, and then drive back home.....

after no wonder the pattaya economy is collapsing.

13 hours ago, bkk6060 said:

I had dinner on the beach in Jomtien last night while listening to great live music.  It was wonderful.

As for Pattaya doing fine, business is way down.  And the multitude of big tour buses in central Pattaya catering to the Chinese makes it a terrible place to navigate.

11 hours ago, Stray said:

By visiting Pattaya, that would change my view about you how?

I'm not interested in your view of me. However, by your own admission you haven't been to Pattaya, so why bother commenting on it. 

I'm sure there are topics that you do have knowledge that could help some people.

8 hours ago, Bender said:

"It is clear that loads of people are coming here every weekend, mostly from Bangkok" 

Actually this is actually one of the biggest myth( or BS) that you can read on pattaya forum. 

These thai people that visit every week end, dont come from Bangkok, in fact they come mostly from Chonburi for a day trip. 

They come in family in a pick up, they do a BBQ in jomtiem. They bring the foods and the drinks with them. They sit on the concrete ground and eat there.

Except the ice cube from 7-Eleven , these thai people dont spend a single baht. They are in fact worse than the Chinese Zero baht tour.

These people dont sleep in hotel, dont do shopping in Central, dont go to WS. No they just spend an afternoon there, and then drive back home.....

after no wonder the pattaya economy is collapsing.

You can see the cars with the Bangkok plates in the Hilton parking garage at Central.  You are not speaking the truth.

You can hear all the people speaking Bangkok Thai when you go shopping or dining in Central and the Hilton dining rooms.  

1 hour ago, ClutchClark said:

Just how much further downhill can Pattaya go?

Heck it started out at sea level...its got to be under water by now?

You don't get what's going on. Our TVF Coroners issued death certificates for Pattaya more than a decade ago--or two. The goose was killed, last nail in the coffin driven, and everybody moved to the paradise of Cambodia. Yep. Obituaries were duly published.

Since then, you see, the corpse of Pattaya, or rather the virtual Pattaya that exists only here in TV, is merely used for yearly ghoulish rituals, esp. in the low season. It's exhumed, declared DEAD, autopsied, and then reburied again . . . and again . . . and again . . . right up to the present day. It's silly but it makes people feel better, somehow relevant, as rituals tend to do. :)

Edited by JSixpack

47 minutes ago, JSixpack said:

You don't get what's going on. Our TVF Coroners issued death certificates for Pattaya more than a decade ago--or two. The goose was killed, last nail in the coffin driven, and everybody moved to the paradise of Cambodia. Yep. Obituaries were duly published.

Since then, you see, the corpse of Pattaya, or rather the virtual Pattaya that exists only here in TV, is merely used for yearly ghoulish rituals, esp. in the low season. It's exhumed, declared DEAD, autopsied, and then reburied again . . . and again . . . and again . . . right up to the present day. It's silly but it makes people feel better, somehow relevant, as rituals tend to do. :)

Kinda like the Thai-Chinese that head for Hong Kong and China to do their annual Qingming 'tomb sweeping' malarkey. It's kind of respectful in a way.... but yes, it's silly.

22 hours ago, bkk6060 said:

I agree with you about farang business owners. I went to a certain restaurant because there was a recommendation made on TV about it, but the owner ( not saying where from ) was rude git, and he'll never see me back there.

One must remember that in Pattaya businesses don't close just because making a loss. I knew one Brit that closed shop because of being "required" to spend money on

things like security cameras and being threatened with arrest if he even made his own breakfast. It was a great restaurant too.

8 hours ago, Scotwight said:

You can see the cars with the Bangkok plates in the Hilton parking garage at Central.  You are not speaking the truth.

You can hear all the people speaking Bangkok Thai when you go shopping or dining in Central and the Hilton dining rooms.

LOL. There are thousands of hotels, restaurants, bars and shops in Pattaya where the Bkk hisos will never set foot. Tell them they are doing OK!!!!!!!

A Central and Hilton full of Bkk hisos is nothing ( actually less than nothing ) when it comes to Pattaya as a whole.

Given that the OP is probably referring to the farang bar zone, the influx of Chinese is meaningless as well, as they don't frequent farang bars.

1 hour ago, thaibeachlovers said:

LOL. There are thousands of hotels, restaurants, bars and shops in Pattaya where the Bkk hisos will never set foot. Tell them they are doing OK!!!!!!!

A Central and Hilton full of Bkk hisos is nothing ( actually less than nothing ) when it comes to Pattaya as a whole.

Given that the OP is probably referring to the farang bar zone, the influx of Chinese is meaningless as well, as they don't frequent farang bars.

Be great if the fearmongering is--incredibly--confined to what the OP is referring to, which isn't the profit margins of the thousands of hotels, restaurants, bars and shops in Pattaya. His knickers are all twisted by his observation that many [superfluous] bars have disappeared and been replaced by: more food shops, tailors and restaurants. OMG. Well, somewhere, not clear where. Not clear how many is "many." For some reason he thinks this indicates "downhill." Evidently he's now having a hard time finding a bar in Pattaya! :cheesy: Not enough bars! Now that speaks to his credibility. Besides, if he's right then the opposite could be argued that it really means (cough) "uphill."

That he's only concerned with sheer numbers, not profit margins, makes your response irrelevant to the OP's point that you now profess to respect.

Edited by JSixpack

Finally, finally, finally we can stop beating this dead horse.  Thabeachlovers has just stated that the original OP was probably referring to THE FARANG BAR ZONE.   Which, apparently might be going downhill in the opinion of the farangs riding said bar stools as their raison d'etre.   So, to sum up and allow us to move on: Farang Bar Zone, maybe going downhill.  All the rest of Pattaya, doing ok thank you very much.

23 hours ago, Scotwight said:

complete crap.

So because you saw a car with a red plate in a parking your assume, that every week end, the bangkok crowd go to pattaya?:cheesy: 

"You can hear all the people speaking Bangkok Thai"

never read so much crap in my life, what is "Bangkok thai"?  language :lol:

On 8/31/2016 at 0:05 PM, Awohalitsiktoli said:

I recently read the same reasoning from some tefling sexpat in Cambodia. He was complaining how country is growing too fast and his dream of retiring on a Western pension is in jeopardy. Of course, who cares that growth and expansion took so many people out of poverty and gave them a better life.

Only a sad selfish sexpat can compare cancer cells to bettering the lives of thousands of people. Why don't you go back to your own country and sell your behind for fifty bucks a pop and see how it feels like?