Pattaya going downhill!

pepi2005

1 hour ago, Berty100 said:

Are you really that stubborn or do you have reading incompatibilities?

June 16 when the terms of Pattaya Mayor Itthiphol Kunplome and the 24-member legislative panel expires.

Gen. Anupong Paojinda said the military regime will name 12 new council members to manage the city’s 1.7-billion-baht budget, as no local – or any other type of – elections are allowed under the junta.

When the Jubta is gone and elections are allowed again, he will be elected back in the position of Pattaya Mayor.

thats disappointing

• Replies 784
  • Created
  • Last Reply

15 hours ago, Stray said:

I've never been to Pattaya and must admit, after reading this thread, that I am very, very confused.

If the city is on it's last legs (for the past 20 years) and a ghost town full of empty shops and apartments and devoid of tourists, what is it with all of these traffic issues that are being brought up?

To my way of thinking, an empty city and traffic jams are not two items that usually occur in the same place.  Regardless of how poorly the roads are planned, set out and maintained, if no one is using the roads, there are no traffic snarls.

Instead of counting the number of dark apartments and closed shop shutters, wouldn't a better gauge of the number of nails in Pattaya's coffin be based on how quickly you can cruise through downtown?

Exactly.

Well, let's try to clear up some of the confusion. You have to picture in your mind what the average poster here in the Pattaya forum really looks like in everyday life:

curmudgeon.jpg

What would his perspective likely be? Would it be really "fair and balanced?" ;)

Or you may picture a  group of old biddies in a sewing circle typically giving voice to their fears and forebodings:

041101SewingCircle1.jpg

One of them comes out with a Standard Topic, such as CONDO GLUT or SHORTCHANGED. Then they all cluck wisely, one after the other, and nod in agreement and conclude portentously that disaster looms, globally even, and how things have degenerated since THEIR day. After a few more of the usual, such as TUNNEL FLOOD or LOWEST EVER, they've forgotten they already did CONDO GLUT and so go back to that again. Needless to say, they don't like change and can't see any silver linings at all. Ironically in 2009 if instead of posturing as seers prophesying the failure of CentralFestival and calling its construction "stupid," our doomsters had invested a million in shares of CPL, then they'd have had 4 million at the end of 2015--which would've helped alleviate the HIGH PRICES moan.

Newbies pick up on all this gloom and parrot it here and there to gain forum cred.

Now it must be said that our most virulent doomsters are usually Brits. Brit researchers say this:

BRITAIN is a nation of moaners who complain more than 70 times a week each.

Researchers found our love of complaining, like Disney dwarf Grumpy and TV’s Victor Meldrew, means we grumble at least 11 times every weekday and 16 times over the weekend.

It also emerged we will already have had three grumbles before we even leave the house in the morning.

In fact, Brits complain so much that more than three quarters admit to having a moan about other people moaning or complaining.

--http://www.dailystar.co.uk/news/latest-news/415315/british-nation-moaners-people-complain-more-than-70-times-week-each

It's inevitable that some of the 11 daily grumbles and 16 over the weekend will make it into the forum. Many may have a sense of disappointment and bitterness that Thailand just ain't what they'd thought it should be. I say that the keys to long-term happiness in Thailand is to accept it as it is (it ain't gon' change), learn basic Thai, practice good Thai manners when dealing with Thais, and have enough money so that you don't have to sweat the small stuff. Then you're golden.

Listen to our moaners and you'd have to conclude that Pattaya must have died in 1997 or no later than 2003 when Thailand dared raise visa fees and so returned to the Stone Age. The goose was killed, last nail in the coffin driven then. TVF Coroners' reports and the obituaries were duly published. Yet the corpse of Pattaya still gets perpetually exhumed, declared DEAD, autopsied, and then reburied again . . . and again . . . and again . . . right up to the present day. Ghoulish, innit? Especially if you don't even live here, LOL.

Here's my question: Why can't the dead rest in peace? Instead of ghouls and their rituals, where's the poet, the TVF Thomas Gray to compose a proper meditation on these bleached ruins, our Elegy Written in a Drained Cesspool? THAT would be a good read, probably dislodge Money Number One at the top of the Pattaya book list.

Anyway (that was fun!) there's real Pattaya and then there's the TVF Pattaya. Best to experience real Pattaya and make up your own mind--and try to do so objectively. It's a mess, always been a mess, but, believe it or not, most expats and most tourists enjoy that mess for what it is--NOT Santa Barbara at Chang prices--and know that the economy is doing pretty well. But they don't much post here; or if they do, are labeled real estate agents wearing rose-tinted glasses. It's well, however, to keep mind that for every rabid Pattaya basher, there must be a thousand Brits living in council estates dreaming of how they can live here permanently. :)

19 minutes ago, Scotwight said:

What?  Who you trying to kid?  Google, " Romanian girls dancing on your lap or offering the most erotic of erotic massages."

Not quite the same. Not that classic Pattaya Double Bubble Sandwich Massage.

But tell us more. :) Sound pretty interesting, I must say!

1 hour ago, JSixpack said:

Exactly.

Well, let's try to clear up some of the confusion. You have to picture in your mind what the average poster here in the Pattaya forum really looks like in everyday life:

curmudgeon.jpg

What would his perspective likely be? Would it be really "fair and balanced?" ;)

Or you may picture a  group of old biddies in a sewing circle typically giving voice to their fears and forebodings:

041101SewingCircle1.jpg

One of them comes out with a Standard Topic, such as CONDO GLUT or SHORTCHANGED. Then they all cluck wisely, one after the other, and nod in agreement and conclude portentously that disaster looms, globally even, and how things have degenerated since THEIR day. After a few more of the usual, such as TUNNEL FLOOD or LOWEST EVER, they've forgotten they already did CONDO GLUT and so go back to that again. Needless to say, they don't like change and can't see any silver linings at all. Ironically in 2009 if instead of posturing as seers prophesying the failure of CentralFestival and calling its construction "stupid," our doomsters had invested a million in shares of CPL, then they'd have had 4 million at the end of 2015--which would've helped alleviate the HIGH PRICES moan.

Newbies pick up on all this gloom and parrot it here and there to gain forum cred.

Now it must be said that our most virulent doomsters are usually Brits. Brit researchers say this:

Researchers found our love of complaining, like Disney dwarf Grumpy and TV’s Victor Meldrew, means we grumble at least 11 times every weekday and 16 times over the weekend.

It also emerged we will already have had three grumbles before we even leave the house in the morning.

In fact, Brits complain so much that more than three quarters admit to having a moan about other people moaning or complaining.

--http://www.dailystar.co.uk/news/latest-news/415315/british-nation-moaners-people-complain-more-than-70-times-week-each

It's inevitable that some of the 11 daily grumbles and 16 over the weekend will make it into the forum. Many may have a sense of disappointment and bitterness that Thailand just ain't what they'd thought it should be. I say that the keys to long-term happiness in Thailand is to accept it as it is (it ain't gon' change), learn basic Thai, practice good Thai manners when dealing with Thais, and have enough money so that you don't have to sweat the small stuff. Then you're golden.

Listen to our moaners and you'd have to conclude that Pattaya must have died in 1997 or no later than 2003 when Thailand dared raise visa fees and so returned to the Stone Age. The goose was killed, last nail in the coffin driven then. TVF Coroners' reports and the obituaries were duly published. Yet the corpse of Pattaya still gets perpetually exhumed, declared DEAD, autopsied, and then reburied again . . . and again . . . and again . . . right up to the present day. Ghoulish, innit? Especially if you don't even live here, LOL.

Here's my question: Why can't the dead rest in peace? Instead of ghouls and their rituals, where's the poet, the TVF Thomas Gray to compose a proper meditation on these bleached ruins, our Elegy Written in a Drained Cesspool? THAT would be a good read, probably dislodge Money Number One at the top of the Pattaya book list.

Anyway (that was fun!) there's real Pattaya and then there's the TVF Pattaya. Best to experience real Pattaya and make up your own mind--and try to do so objectively. It's a mess, always been a mess, but, believe it or not, most expats and most tourists enjoy that mess for what it is--NOT Santa Barbara at Chang prices--and know that the economy is doing pretty well. But they don't much post here; or if they do, are labeled real estate agents wearing rose-tinted glasses. It's well, however, to keep mind that for every rabid Pattaya basher, there must be a thousand Brits living in council estates dreaming of how they can live here permanently. :)

Great post!  Remember Stickman?  He liked Thailand till his girl dumped him then he hated it.  Everything turned sour.  It was like she stuck a lemon in his mouth and everything that came out was sour.  Ever see a guy in Thailand with a Western wife?  That look.  

30 minutes ago, JSixpack said:

Not quite the same. Not that classic Pattaya Double Bubble Sandwich Massage.

But tell us more. :) Sound pretty interesting, I must say!

The girls go to the European circuit before they end up on Walking street.  Not for me.  I don't like em.  Don't trust em. Too many bad experiences but some inexperienced fellows find it their cup of tea.  BTW I really liked your Pattaya post.  

18 hours ago, JSixpack said:

Exactly.

<snip>

Brilliant post, JSixpack!

The reason I have never visited Pattaya has nothing to do with any preconceived opinion I have.  It's only that I've never bothered driving south of Bangkok (a drive I occasionally make (a couple times a year) to buy things that are not available, locally).  However, based on your summation and reports, I am now intrigued and will take the time to cruise down to your neck of the woods.

It will be one more car jamming up the (over-crowded) roads of (dead) Pattaya and it will all be your fault, JSixpack!

I run into complainers all the time.  Many at the bars 7 and 8 and Soi Buckaew.  I just get away.  I have been all over the world and this place for me age 61 and healthy is fantastic!  Much better then pergatory USA. I love Pattaya and Thailand.  Many of the complainers I think some are impotent, have no money, health problems.  But eventually their stories turn to how they were shafted by a Thai lady.  They need to look in the mirror as bargirls and Gogo girls  are for fun, not for a good mate.

On 8/17/2016 at 11:16 AM, PattayaBoy said:

Pattaya is failing. 

If you guys living here on ur pension you got little clue.

We run businesses here, so I got bit different view on it.

Well in 3 years it went from very good to very bad.

Living here and no clue for what?  So your businesses have gone downhill?  Sounds like more of a personal problem, not Pattaya's.

Just now, bkk6060 said:

I run into complainers all the time.  Many at the bars 7 and 8 and Soi Buckaew.  I just get away.  I have been all over the world and this place for me age 61 and healthy is fantastic!  Much better then pergatory USA. I love Pattaya and Thailand.  Many of the complainers I think some are impotent, have no money, health problems.  But eventually their stories turn to how they were shafted by a Thai lady.  They need to look in the mirror as bargirls and Gogo girls  are for fun, not for a good mate.

Yes very true

Just to add,  the girls can only runaway with what you have given them.

And as far as marriage goes,  you get to keep what you had before the marriage here.

better system than where most of us come from.

Thailand 's a great place,    especially pattaya.

If you got some regular money or a ton of savings,  you can do dam near what you want

in this town,  party / Sex town . great place. :thumbsup:

On 8/17/2016 at 1:31 AM, Stray said:

I've never been to Pattaya and must admit, after reading this thread, that I am very, very confused.

If the city is on it's last legs (for the past 20 years) and a ghost town full of empty shops and apartments and devoid of tourists, what is it with all of these traffic issues that are being brought up?

To my way of thinking, an empty city and traffic jams are not two items that usually occur in the same place.  Regardless of how poorly the roads are planned, set out and maintained, if no one is using the roads, there are no traffic snarls.

Instead of counting the number of dark apartments and closed shop shutters, wouldn't a better gauge of the number of nails in Pattaya's coffin be based on how quickly you can cruise through downtown?

you never been to pattaya, great. One advice just continue to stay away...:lol:

7 hours ago, Bender said:

you never been to pattaya, great. One advice just continue to stay away...:lol:

Do you live in Pattaya and are suggesting that I am not welcome in Pattaya?

If you are a Pattaya resident then, if the reports of it's demise are true, people like you would be a reason for that.  Luckily, there are people like JSixpack, onemorechang and bkk6060 (among others) who do not offer the same advise as you. 

Based on your response to me (and your later comments which have been removed), your laughing emoticon does not allay the nasty intent behind your post.  Rather than put me off visiting Pattaya, the off-chance of meeting a goose, such as yourself, gives me just another reason for a visit . . .

On 8/14/2016 at 1:09 PM, Naam said:

in my view Pattaya's chaos is its charm which i am watching for nearly 43 years. if i want infrastructure as well as law and order i'll go and live in the prison environment of my home country where they tell me that my gardener is not allowed to mow the lawn on weekdays between 14.00 and 1600 hours, where (not too long ago) the national phone company can raid my home and punish me for not having installed their phones or using "illegal" sockets and plugs, where the police respectively a court takes my driver's license for a year when i drive 200km/h on a deserted road whereas the Pattaya policeman asks me "what motor Papa, can look?"

Thailand means freedom, little hassles are easily compensated using some printed paper :thumbsup:

Hi!

You failed to mention the deluge of asylum seekers welcomed by the Merk.

A friend recently chatted about his parent's small town, where the formerly quiet streets had been taken over by gangs of aggressive drug dealers with the police virtually powerless to do anything about it. Maybe just an isolated exaggeration, but the million plus of unemployable young men are hardly going to sit around getting bored.

Which road in Pattaya can you attain speeds of 200 km/h? Often it seems like 200 metres would be more accurate.

14 hours ago, Stray said:

Do you live in Pattaya and are suggesting that I am not welcome in Pattaya?

If you are a Pattaya resident then, if the reports of it's demise are true, people like you would be a reason for that.  Luckily, there are people like JSixpack, onemorechang and bkk6060 (among others) who do not offer the same advise as you. 

Based on your response to me (and your later comments which have been removed), your laughing emoticon does not allay the nasty intent behind your post.  Rather than put me off visiting Pattaya, the off-chance of meeting a goose, such as yourself, gives me just another reason for a visit . . .

Bender's one of our trolls, hopefully on his way out. Pay no attn & keep in mind what the average poster here looks like. ;)

Every man should visit Pattaya at least once in his life. Stay in central Pattaya, park the car right away & take baht buses & motorbike taxis. Burn the inside of your leg on a motorbike exhaust pipe. Later this will be a good spot for a Pattaya Forever tattoo. Have lunch at Hippo in the mall or at the Hilton buffet. Hit the classics. TQ, oldest go-go bar in Pattaya, for "daytime is playtime." Feelin' good, head down the Hopf for a bite & some of their fine wheat beer. Next block, walk down Soi Post Office, been there forever and about the same as its always been. Oh--get sleazy at the Nevada Go-Go near the Beach Rd. corner. Then make THE classic walk down Beach Rd to Walking Street for an evening of whatever. :) Next day, explore the Soi Buakhao area; lots of restos and Pattaya craziness; after 6, hit the go-gos on LK Metro. Hit Soi 6 at some point; watch your wallet among the katoeys halfway down the soi. Have a bite at the Queen Vic and a Guinness. :)  As for Jomtien, mmmm, not a must-see but the view from the Pattaya Park tower is worth seeing.

Notwithstanding the infestation of whingers, cynics, and rabid bashers on the forum, most of us are pretty happy living in our cesspool. There's actually lots more to do here than, you know, just drinkin' and enjoyin' soapies and threesomes all the time—which ain't too bad, come down to it. Relevant threads: When boredom starts to rule the day, I Love Pattaya, and Why live in Pattaya?.

Finally you'll need to get yourself an I Love Pattaya T-shirt from a street vendor and wear it to the Big C shopping mall on Pattaya Klang and to Foodland further up the same street. Your purpose? To check the bulletin boards for a rental apartment to move here permanently! :)

6 hours ago, 12DrinkMore said:

Hi!

You failed to mention the deluge of asylum seekers welcomed by the Merk.

A friend recently chatted about his parent's small town, where the formerly quiet streets had been taken over by gangs of aggressive drug dealers with the police virtually powerless to do anything about it. Maybe just an isolated exaggeration, but the million plus of unemployable young men are hardly going to sit around getting bored.

Which road in Pattaya can you attain speeds of 200 km/h? Often it seems like 200 metres would be more accurate.

Sukhumvit on a sunday morning at 0600hrs but you need several hundred horsepowers over and above a Honda Jazz.

On ‎18‎/‎08‎/‎2016 at 8:24 AM, Stray said:

Brilliant post, JSixpack!

The reason I have never visited Pattaya has nothing to do with any preconceived opinion I have.  It's only that I've never bothered driving south of Bangkok (a drive I occasionally make (a couple times a year) to buy things that are not available, locally).  However, based on your summation and reports, I am now intrigued and will take the time to cruise down to your neck of the woods.

It will be one more car jamming up the (over-crowded) roads of (dead) Pattaya and it will all be your fault, JSixpack!

Go on the bus, Stray, or get a cab for about 1000 Baht. No need for your car if on a short break. You may love Pattaya, you may not, but you won't find out till you try. Don't be scared - be excited.

On Wednesday, August 17, 2016 at 2:31 AM, Stray said:

1 hour ago, Naam said:

Sukhumvit on a sunday morning at 0600hrs but you need several hundred horsepowers over and above a Honda Jazz.

Going at that speed you don't need much to go wrong, I hope my kids going to golf aren't in your way. Tosser.

Is Pattaya (and Jomtien) going downhill?  All I know is that lots of people that I know have either moved away or are planning to do so. I just talked with a person this morning who has been here over four years and can't wait to get out of here.  The lack of proper city planning, the destruction of the beach areas in both Pattaya and Jomtien, the destruction of all of the green spaces that used to be here (along with virtually all of the shade trees), the horrible noise pollution that the police ignore,  people pollution (too many), worsening traffic jams, increase in crime, rising tide of xenophobia and the influx of the "worst slice of humanity" have turned a lot of people off. 

1 hour ago, Awohalitsiktoli said:

Is Pattaya (and Jomtien) going downhill?  All I know is that lots of people that I know have either moved away or are planning to do so. I just talked with a person this morning who has been here over four years and can't wait to get out of here.  The lack of proper city planning, the destruction of the beach areas in both Pattaya and Jomtien, the destruction of all of the green spaces that used to be here (along with virtually all of the shade trees), the horrible noise pollution that the police ignore,  people pollution (too many), worsening traffic jams, increase in crime, rising tide of xenophobia and the influx of the "worst slice of humanity" have turned a lot of people off. 

You're still here. You must have a good reason for staying. Does the appeal of the place still outweigh its faults for you?

3 hours ago, Awohalitsiktoli said:

well said, this is so far the best post in this thread.:thumbsup:

3 hours ago, Awohalitsiktoli said:

The dregs of Thailand were going there 31 years ago. The dregs of the world weren't quite there but are now.

11 hours ago, Awohalitsiktoli said:

... lots of people that I know have either moved away or are planning to do so. I just talked with a person this morning who has been here over four years and can't wait to get out of here. 

Yes, I think we all know at least one "perpetual leaver" that doesn't. I'm sorry that you know so many and like yourself, still haven't gone yet.

I know at least a dozen that are still here from the 1980's. They have adapted to the changes, accept Pattaya for what it was, what it is now and probably more importantly, for what it can never be. It's still their home. Like the dozen others, they will leave when their number is called.

13 hours ago, champers said:

Go on the bus, Stray, or get a cab for about 1000 Baht. No need for your car if on a short break. You may love Pattaya, you may not, but you won't find out till you try. Don't be scared - be excited.

You've absolutely no need for a car in Pattaya. You can't park anywhere anyway and the transport system is as efficient as any where if not more so. Taxis for special journeys are readily available.

On 8/17/2016 at 8:22 PM, JSixpack said:

Exactly.

curmudgeon.jpg

041101SewingCircle1.jpg

9 hours ago, Bender said:

well said, this is so far the best post in this thread.:thumbsup:

I have the new reply-to-multiple-posts option sorted out now.... I think.

15 minutes ago, Awohalitsiktoli said:

The previous post makes it appear that Bender liked JSIXpacks' post.  I think bender was talking about my post.  Yes?  No?

Just having a smile. Lighten up! :)

Archived