Pattaya going downhill!

pepi2005

2 hours ago, thaibeachlovers said:

Quite right too. It always amazes me the number of people that say they would never go to Pattaya and then claim to know all about it.

When he says "Join civic/community groups and get active.  If you're truly a member of the community you should be taking an interest in the things that are in your community and working with your neighbours to improve it." I wonder if he is in for a real shock when he does get to visit/ live and realises that that just isn't a starter in Pattaya. I find it hard to believe that Vietnam actually allows westerners to tell them what to do though.

Right the little "pep talk" he gave about  just avoid things if you dont like them ??

Obviously has never tried to avoid something in Pattaya !  Its kind of hard to do .

And trying to change something here by getting involved ?

I went up to city hall to complain about the local lowlifes that drive moter bikes on the so called beach walk.

That was about two years ago.  And by the way ( post # 210)  the problem is not that the pedestrian

lights dont work. They had to shut them off because Thais dont stop at red lights for pedestrians.

( brakes stop cars not lights)

Also no one here is saying that Pattaya is going to slide off the planet in doom/gloom context ,

rather its one sorry chaotic  mess indeed, as of the last 6 - 8 years.   

Edit:  Pattaya is not comparable well planned  seaside resorts in Vietnam like Nha Trang for example 

• Replies 784
  • Created
  • Last Reply
6 hours ago, morrobay said:

As you state in #129  "The  reason I have never visited Pattaya"

Maybe you should wait until you visit Pattaya before making comparisons.

No, inability to understand the simplicity and obviousness of the point has led you into the usual condescension. Stray's merely and clearly comparing what he knows of other Asian cities with what Pattaya might be like IF the moans and whinges of our doomsters are in the least accurate. Even assuming they are true--granting you benefit of doubt--he figures, based on past experience elsewhere, he can handle them just fine without the nannying from the forum schoolmarms. And indeed, to consider the recent hysteria over the traffic on Soi Buakhao, it really is nothing compared that of HMC. :) Spot on!

Having said that, since you have never visited you wont have much credibility on this topic that is comparing  the present Pattaya to the recent past. Refer you to my posts # 80 and 96  for what its worth.

But he wasn't claiming any such credibility as you'd like to misinterpret the point. That leaves us with your self-validated claims to credibility. :)

It was in 2009 that with their usual uncanny prescience our TVF economists and financiers late of The City ran the numbers and gleefully prophesied the coming bankruptcy of this new mall whose name they couldn't even get right. For example,

thaibeachlovers

thaibeachlovers, on 2009-05-29 19:01:26:

Central World is going to fail, just like The Avenues. Anyone stupid enough to build a place that charges Bangkok prices in a small tourist resort town deserves to go bankrupt.

morrowbay

morrobay, on 2009-05-31 11:14:05

thaibeachlovers is Right On the facts

5 hours ago, thaibeachlovers said:

Quite right too. It always amazes me the number of people that say they would never go to Pattaya and then claim to know all about it.

It amazes me the number of people who do go to Pattaya and claim to know all about it. :) Just the other day an expert claimed that nobody had decried the building of Third Road and he had to be corrected.

When he says "Join civic/community groups and get active.  If you're truly a member of the community you should be taking an interest in the things that are in your community and working with your neighbours to improve it." I wonder if he is in for a real shock when he does get to visit/ live and realises that that just isn't a starter in Pattaya.

On the contrary it very much is a starter in Pattaya. For example, there's the Jesters Care For Kids http://www.care4kids.info/. And the Pattaya City Expats seem to be doing good work in a number of areas: http://www.pattayacityexpatsclub.com/expats/docs/Contributing-to-Thai-Community.pdf.

And you've conveniently forgotten the context of Stray's remark: the energy spent complaining--an awful lot around here--could be better spent doing something useful towards improvements. Now what a great benefit to our forum and to the community if our whingers would take exactly that advice! :)

35 minutes ago, JSixpack said:

It amazes me the number of people who do go to Pattaya and claim to know all about it. :) Just the other day an expert claimed that nobody had decried the building of Third Road and he had to be corrected.

On the contrary it very much is a starter in Pattaya. For example, there's the Jesters Care For Kids http://www.care4kids.info/. And the Pattaya City Expats seem to be doing good work in a number of areas: http://www.pattayacityexpatsclub.com/expats/docs/Contributing-to-Thai-Community.pdf.

And you've conveniently forgotten the context of Stray's remark: the energy spent complaining--an awful lot around here--could be better spent doing something useful towards improvements. Now what a great benefit to our forum and to the community if our whingers would take exactly that advice! :)

VFW does a lot of charity work and the Pattaya AA has got to be one of the best in the world and I ran a home for wayward bar girls for 3 years.  

1 hour ago, JSixpack said:

Good god, you are now suggesting someone who has never been to Pattaya has a better idea of Pattaya than posters who live here. Just because our opinion is different to yours.

1 hour ago, Seizetheday said:

Good god, you are now suggesting someone who has never been to Pattaya has a better idea of Pattaya than posters who live here. Just because our opinion is different to yours.

My post suggests no such thing. You'll need to read more carefully. In this case, though, it happens that Stray rightly estimated that like so many other cities, esp those w/ an appreciable expat population, Pattaya does have public service opportunties, whereas thaibeachlovers, who regards himself as a great authority, really hadn't a clue. It also appears that Stray is also able to recognize typical expat whinging for what it is. I think some of our members find this a source of distress. Yet in forums devoted to areas you've never visited you'll see the same ol' thing. Shall I quote you, for example, expat whinging about the noise in Portugal?

Your use of "our" makes no sense since I also live in Pattaya. But my views have nothing to do with difference for the sake of difference, though you may wish to believe so and argue for the sake of arguing.

8 hours ago, thaibeachlovers said:

The beach is where they want to have all the rich people that they dream will flock to Pattaya if only they can get rid of the barbeers.

Thinking that development you don't like results from a grand conspiracy by The Authorities is comforting but not very helpful for an understanding of the economic realities. If The Authorities wanted to get rid of the barbeers, they could so immediately. Chuwit could act as consultant. ;)

They seem to think rich people will overlook the broken infrastructure, the pedestrian crossing lights that don't work, the lack of police law enforcement, the general dirtyness and the out of control traffic.

You don't know what they think, if anything. Nor do I. But the fact is that despite the, ah, imperfections of the place, we do have a mall and some fairly expensive hotels on the beach now that are doing OK year-on-end. Though our posters here have probably never seen a single light on at the Hilton, the last quarterly report I saw from CPL cited a 92% occupancy rate during the season.

"Rich" is a relative term. You also thought nobody could afford to shop in CentralFestival Pattaya Beach when it was built. :D So that's kinda what you always say, innit? You might argue that occupants  of rooms in the Hilton, Holiday Inn, etc. aren't rich. Nonetheless by Pattaya standards they do represent quite a step up in room spend from the golden eggs layers, those economic powerhouses, now staying over at Soi Buakhao. Good 'nuff. So, logically, it's not The Authorities who are most concerned about the "rich" people but rather the owners of the expensive properties directly dependent on them. If they think the infrastructure problems are really weighing on the bottom line, then they'll lean on The Authorities and even cough up baht themselves for some improvement--as CPN did for the electric grid.

On Tuesday, August 09, 2016 at 9:31 AM, LennyW said:

Probably get the required response in the Pattaya forum.......

One main change I noticed this year was the terrible pollution this year in Pattaya seemingly caused by hundreds of tour buses. Every couple of months I leave Pattaya to explore Thailand and visit the mad cultural events that are brilliant.

On 24/08/2016 at 3:10 PM, Scotwight said:

I lived on Soi Buakhow for a number of years and walked its length every morning for exercise.  Some places don't have sidewalks some places do.  It's a great street and never struck me as to smelly as long as you avoid the European guys.  Thai people smell fine.  Check out the video above, I think it's recent and shows where the sidewalks are and where they are not.

Thai sewers smell Jasmine also. 

On 25/08/2016 at 2:27 AM, BaldPlumber said:

I really wonder about the sanity of people who think that soi buakhao is dangerous to walk down.

Walk opposite the direction of traffic, keep to the right hand side of the road as much as possible and you'll be fine.

Walked and ridden that soi hundreds of times and, unbelievably, still alive to tell the tale.

I believe that TV should start to offer discounted grips to many of its members.

A street without a footpath can be considered as dangerous for pedestrians as per Westerner standards , i mean the ones who haven't lost their sanity :) 

Even worse in Thailand where people drive without leaving a space between them and pedestrian.

16 hours ago, JSixpack said:

No, inability to understand the simplicity and obviousness of the point has led you into the usual condescension. Stray's merely and clearly comparing what he knows of other Asian cities with what Pattaya might be like IF the moans and whinges of our doomsters are in the least accurate. Even assuming they are true--granting you benefit of doubt--he figures, based on past experience elsewhere, he can handle them just fine without the nannying from the forum schoolmarms. And indeed, to consider the recent hysteria over the traffic on Soi Buakhao, it really is nothing compared that of HMC. :) Spot on!

But he wasn't claiming any such credibility as you'd like to misinterpret the point. That leaves us with your self-validated claims to credibility. :)

It was in 2009 that with their usual uncanny prescience our TVF economists and financiers late of The City ran the numbers and gleefully prophesied the coming bankruptcy of this new mall whose name they couldn't even get right. For example,

thaibeachlovers

Central World is going to fail, just like The Avenues. Anyone stupid enough to build a place that charges Bangkok prices in a small tourist resort town deserves to go bankrupt.

morrowbay

Indeed, Central Festival  Mall / Hilton  -  Along with driving around in circles all day

seems to be the main attraction in Pattaya these days. What a difference 6 years made 

And if Stray visits Pattaya and takes the run around you prescribed , I would like to hear what he thinks of Pattaya

in the context of Nha Trang, a seaside resort in Vietnam. And furthermore I dare say he will be agreeing with the OP and others.

I happened to be in Soi Buakhow yesterday, walking from The Avenue. There was a tattooed Brit behind me swearing all the time , he was walking very fast and looked mentally ill.

He actually scared the shit out of me so I crossed the street to avoid any confrontation .  You don't see that in other areas of Pattaya. Just a reminder for me to stay away. 

1 hour ago, morrobay said:

Indeed, Central Festival  Mall / Hilton  -  Along with driving around in circles all day

seems to be the main attraction in Pattaya these days. What a difference 6 years made 

And if Stray visits Pattaya and takes the run around you prescribed , I would like to hear what he thinks of Pattaya

in the context of Nha Trang, a seaside resort in Vietnam. And furthermore I dare say he will be agreeing with the OP and others.

morrobay, as you have mentioned Nha Trang in two of your posts, at the risk of going waaay off topic, here's a select list from just the first 30 (of 860) headlines when the word 'nha trang' is entered into the Thanh Nien (online) newspaper search function:

These are some headlines from just one online newspaper in the past year (from November 2015).  Imagine how some of the expats, that live there, are moaning?  Your comment only reinforces one of the points in my earlier posting (#206); around SEAsia it is quite possible to remove the word 'Pattaya' and insert another popular tourist destination name and have a similar thread running.

1 hour ago, balo said:

I happened to be in Soi Buakhow yesterday, walking from The Avenue. There was a tattooed Brit behind me swearing all the time , he was walking very fast and looked mentally ill.

He actually scared the shit out of me so I crossed the street to avoid any confrontation .  You don't see that in other areas of Pattaya. Just a reminder for me to stay away.

You don't see that in other areas of Pattaya.

Rubbish. I was so scared by some farang at Lucky Star bar that I paid up and left when he went to the loo.

19 hours ago, JSixpack said:

thaibeachlovers

morrowbay

Fair enough. I underestimated the number of Bkk people that flock there on weekends that must be keeping it going now the Russians are greatly reduced in numbers. Certainly it's not the Chinese package tours spending money in there. Whenever I go in most of the small shops seem devoid of customers, but that is true of malls most places in Thailand.

However, Central has deep pockets and I doubt even you know how it's actually doing. Even if it was making a loss I doubt they'd just walk away.

20 minutes ago, thaibeachlovers said:

You don't see that in other areas of Pattaya.

Rubbish. I was so scared by some farang at Lucky Star bar

Ok then , I was thinking about the area outside the bar scene .   :thumbsup:

6 hours ago, balo said:

Encounters with such "housing challenged" people are the norm in any large American city on a daily basis. Pattaya certainly has a leg up on many "developed" country cities in this respect.

6 hours ago, Stray said:

morrobay, as you have mentioned Nha Trang in two of your posts, at the risk of going waaay off topic, here's a select list from just the first 30 (of 860) headlines when the word 'nha trang' is entered into the Thanh Nien (online) newspaper search function:

These are some headlines from just one online newspaper in the past year (from November 2015).  Imagine how some of the expats, that live there, are moaning?  Your comment only reinforces one of the points in my earlier posting (#206); around SEAsia it is quite possible to remove the word 'Pattaya' and insert another popular tourist destination name and have a similar thread running.

LMFAO...it would be nice if all the Pattaya whingers buggered off to parts unknown.

On 8/25/2016 at 1:28 PM, PattayaBoy said:

Went last nite to Walking Street, took my dad first time, he lives in Miami. I wasn't on WS long time but it looks like its lost place, dad said its better gogos in FL and he was surprised and asking why girls not getting naked. Yeh they dont anymore, he was saying they do in FL. Guess they done due to police crackdowns, place is not fun at all. Its not the same.WS as few years ago.

And the girls were constantly begging for tips and drinks.

Russian gogo had prices from central london in it.

15min priv dance 100usd
Take girl out 10000thb and hour and min is 2h

And they pushy like want u take that priv dance for 100usd heh.

Boooring

Sent from my SM-G935F using Tapatalk

So when are you moving to Miami...better hurry before hurricane season sets in.

2 hours ago, OMGImInPattaya said:

LMFAO...it would be nice if all the Pattaya whingers buggered off to parts unknown.

Why am I a winger if I disagree with your point of view.

I live in Patts 8 months a year, I'm just calling it as I see it.

17 minutes ago, yaagjon said:

What did you post that was negative about Pattaya?  14 posts are not hard to read and I didn't see anything negative.  In fact there was one describing how anyone could stay in Pattaya long term regardless of status.  

19 minutes ago, yaagjon said:

You're entitled to your opinions; only remember that no place is perfect...as the headlines from Nha Trang show.

11 hours ago, Stray said:

complete crap, in a single day in Pattaya you have certainly more violent crimeS than in the whole Vietnam....

Its no brainer, just have a look at the "pattaya sub-forum news crime",  dozens of thousands of articleS.

Are you blind?

18 hours ago, balo said:

Ok then , I was thinking about the area outside the bar scene .   :thumbsup:

Hmmmm.

The bar scene extends from far up Naklua Rd, including the sois down to the beach, half way to the end of the built up area of Jomptien, and from the beach to 3rd Rd in Pattaya. Unsure how far back it goes in Jomptien.

I agree that you would be unlikely to find such as the person referred to outside that area.

1 hour ago, thaibeachlovers said:

I agree that you would be unlikely to find such as the person referred to outside that area.

Not seen them in Jomtien  , and I frequent the bars there often . I think soi Boakaow attracts a certain type of Brits.  Can't prove it though , just my observation. :rolleyes:

11 hours ago, Bender said:

complete crap, in a single day in Pattaya you have certainly more violent crimeS than in the whole Vietnam....

Its no brainer, just have a look at the "pattaya sub-forum news crime",  dozens of thousands of articleS.

Are you blind?

No brainer... I understand now.

Making up non-existent TV sub forum headings apart, you have absolutely no clue.

23 hours ago, thaibeachlovers said:

Fair enough. I underestimated the number of Bkk people that flock there on weekends that must be keeping it going now the Russians are greatly reduced in numbers. Certainly it's not the Chinese package tours spending money in there. Whenever I go in most of the small shops seem devoid of customers, but that is true of malls most places in Thailand.

However, Central has deep pockets and I doubt even you know how it's actually doing. Even if it was making a loss I doubt they'd just walk away.

Still clueless after all these years, lessons unlearned. :D Still hopin' for a return to the 80s and 90s.

TVF economic authorities such as yourself (with well-established credentials) endlessly perpetuate the myth that replacing (not adding to) the supposedly departed "high class" (we're so class conscious!), those golden egg layers now staying in fleabags around Soi Buakhao, are merely the low class and getting lower tourists. Both domestic and foreign. Chanting this gospel is now one of the rituals needed for that serious forum cred, so we often hear it.

To judge by all the w@nk-posts about Chinese tourists, the "foreign" mainly refers to, ah, poor Chinese scavenging in the rubble, not spending anything. It's so disgusting that City Hall forces corporations to tell outrageous lies like the following, cookin' the books to fool all them stupid auditors and analysts (TVF authorities know better!):

Improved performance of existing projects e.g. at CentralWorld, CentralPlaza Lardprao, CentralPlaza Pattaya Beach, etc., supported by spending from foreign tourists mainly from China and Korea during their summer travel season. . . . On a q-o-q basis, revenues from hotel operation increased by 6% thanks mainly to higher occupancy and room rate at Hilton Pattaya Beach Hotel with occupancy high at 92% in the third quarter, enhancing RevPar up 4% q-o-q as a result of an increasing number of Chinese and Korean tourist visits during their travel season in July-August. . . . continuing growth in hotel business with higher occupancy in this quarter on the back of increasing number of foreign tourists visiting Hilton Pattaya Beach Hotel. . . . However, the food court at CentralFestival Pattaya Beach experienced revenue growth, driven by higher traffic from tourist visits in the third quarter.

Central Pattana PCL, Performance Overview: Overall economic condition in 3Q15

And since all TVF economic experts absolutely KNOW that Chinese tourists only spend money in Chinese venues (like, cough, Central and the Hilton--and now Tesco Lotus and Foodland, as I saw quite a few in there recently), we have the completely bizarre situation whereby Thai banks kindly provide up to 166 billion baht to Chinese tourists, and therefore to China, for no possible reason other than for Immigration to collect visa fees over one holiday!

The nation’s seven commercial banks have prepared up to 166 billion baht for spending during the holiday, up by 9.7 billion last year. Bangkok Bank has reserved 35 billion baht for the period, Siam Commercial Bank has prepared 33 billion, Krungsri Bank has set aside 28.6 billion, Krungthai Bank has readied 20 billion and Kasikorn Bank has made sure to have 40 billion baht on hand.

Banks confident Chinese New Year spending to be lively

Oddly, as TVF economists sneer at TAT's figures of rising numbers of tourists (and are still in denial about the construction of Suvarnabhumi Airport), the banks and the Mastercard Asia Pacific Destinations Index seem to agree more that the Chinese numbers are in fact rising, perhaps 16% annually according to the brokerage CLSA. Yes, dear GLOBAL CRASH! forecasters, CLSA took into account your knee-jerk about any economic slowdown:

But rising individualism and financial independence are seeing more and more young Chinese choose to defy custom, while at the same time tourism and outbound travel are surging. . . . Growing numbers are also seizing the opportunity for tourism, despite slowing growth in the world's second-largest economy. . . . Chinese travellers are by far the biggest spenders in the world, splashing $165 billion in countries they visited last year, according to the United Nations World Tourism Organisation.

New Year, New Travel: More Chinese Choose Tourism Over Tradition

Gotta love TVF economics. Now, our very sage, street-smart economists can sneer at all the "lies" above and take comfort in prophecies of the coming Great Apocalypse (midas! where are you?), but when you consider all the traffic and development--Terminal 21 coming up--and the previous forecasting track records here, the countless "downhill" forecasts stretching back to 1997 and before, which must have the greater ring of truth?

deaddoomster.jpg

Archived