Pattaya going downhill!

pepi2005

• Replies 784
  • Created
  • Last Reply
On 19 สิงหาคม 2559 at 4:09 PM, JSixpack said:

Bender's one of our trolls, hopefully on his way out. Pay no attn & keep in mind what the average poster here looks like. ;)

Every man should visit Pattaya at least once in his life. Stay in central Pattaya, park the car right away & take baht buses & motorbike taxis. Burn the inside of your leg on a motorbike exhaust pipe. Later this will be a good spot for a Pattaya Forever tattoo. Have lunch at Hippo in the mall or at the Hilton buffet. Hit the classics. TQ, oldest go-go bar in Pattaya, for "daytime is playtime." Feelin' good, head down the Hopf for a bite & some of their fine wheat beer. Next block, walk down Soi Post Office, been there forever and about the same as its always been. Oh--get sleazy at the Nevada Go-Go near the Beach Rd. corner. Then make THE classic walk down Beach Rd to Walking Street for an evening of whatever. :) Next day, explore the Soi Buakhao area; lots of restos and Pattaya craziness; after 6, hit the go-gos on LK Metro. Hit Soi 6 at some point; watch your wallet among the katoeys halfway down the soi. Have a bite at the Queen Vic and a Guinness. :)  As for Jomtien, mmmm, not a must-see but the view from the Pattaya Park tower is worth seeing.

Notwithstanding the infestation of whingers, cynics, and rabid bashers on the forum, most of us are pretty happy living in our cesspool. There's actually lots more to do here than, you know, just drinkin' and enjoyin' soapies and threesomes all the time—which ain't too bad, come down to it. Relevant threads: When boredom starts to rule the day, I Love Pattaya, and Why live in Pattaya?.

Finally you'll need to get yourself an I Love Pattaya T-shirt from a street vendor and wear it to the Big C shopping mall on Pattaya Klang and to Foodland further up the same street. Your purpose? To check the bulletin boards for a rental apartment to move here permanently! :)

Have lunch at Hippo in the mall or at the Hilton buffet.  ................................................... Feelin' good, head down the Hopf for a bite & some of their fine wheat beer.

Now I understand why you are the way you are.

LOL

1 hour ago, thaibeachlovers said:

Have lunch at Hippo in the mall or at the Hilton buffet.  ................................................... Feelin' good, head down the Hopf for a bite & some of their fine wheat beer.

Now I understand why you are the way you are.

LOL

And I understand why you're the way you are, obviously. However, Stray's intention as I understand it is to come down for a brief visit just to see the place. He doesn't seem to be an impecunious old fart who must of necessity flop in a Soi Buakhao roach coach and eat only at Kiss and from street vendors when not shuffling down the promenade in search of a seat. But I did also recommend he visit the Soi Buakhao area where he may observe the OAP lifestyle (and more) and choose it if he so wishes. :D Pattaya provides.

1 hour ago, mrblonde said:

Its been 10 years since I was in Pattaya, and the fact there are very few, if any Russians in town is a HUGE plus for me.  Shocking people

dont worry, they are nobody left in pattaya. Tourists, thai workers, Cambodian workers all left long ago. 

Pattaya actually look like a cimetery.

3 hours ago, camble said:

Nobody goes there anymore, it's too crowded.

It certainly gets overcrowded on the weekends with the influx of Bangkonians.  Perhaps a good proxy measure on whether it is going downhill is the volume of business closures, which seems to have increased substantially.  As I stated in another post, I have many acquaintances who have left or are planning to do so.  No, they are not poor (far from it).  Why are they leaving?  Because they see the place as "going downhill." 

Same Same, but different. I have lived Phuket (Patong and Kamala), BKK (Sukumvit and Samut Sahkon), Chon Buri (Bang Saen and now live Jomtien).

Pattaya is the same as most other places in Thailand. Obviously not the same as a village in issan, but no great difference to BKK Or Phuket.

The girly bar strip and surrounding area is the same wherever one exists, BKK, Bangla, Pattaya. If thats were you live and spend time. (not exclusive to Pattaya)

Traffic is the same in any populated area, Although BKK would be the worst. (not exclusive to Pattaya)

New buildings going up and old ones shutting down all over Thailand. (not exclusive to Pattaya)

Love Pattaya or hate it, its not much different to other populated areas in Thailand.

I am opening a suitcase shop in Pattaya, judging by the amount of people packing up and leaving, I should clean up.

Im just not sure were the Utopian Thailand is that everyone is moving to.

2 hours ago, Peterw42 said:

Same Same, but different. I have lived Phuket (Patong and Kamala), BKK (Sukumvit and Samut Sahkon), Chon Buri (Bang Saen and now live Jomtien).

Pattaya is the same as most other places in Thailand. Obviously not the same as a village in issan, but no great difference to BKK Or Phuket.

The girly bar strip and surrounding area is the same wherever one exists, BKK, Bangla, Pattaya. If thats were you live and spend time. (not exclusive to Pattaya)

Traffic is the same in any populated area, Although BKK would be the worst. (not exclusive to Pattaya)

New buildings going up and old ones shutting down all over Thailand. (not exclusive to Pattaya)

Love Pattaya or hate it, its not much different to other populated areas in Thailand.

I am opening a suitcase shop in Pattaya, judging by the amount of people packing up and leaving, I should clean up.

I have lived all over Thailand and must disagree (somewhat) with what you said about Pattaya not being much different than other populated areas in Thailand.  Pattaya (really Pattaya-Jomtien) is unique in its devotion to a certain industry that involves men, women, bars, alcohol, etc.  Unlike most of Thailand, you have to work very hard to escape that "industry," the oldest industry in the world, some would argue.  In addition, the worst slice of humanity--both Thais and farangs--have migrated to Pattaya-Jomtien.  You simply do not see them in such large numbers outside of Pattaya-Jomtien (e.g. in Bangkok although there are zoned areas where you see some of them).  Further, security is  far better in others areas of Thailand (the far south excluded).  And the noise pollution in Pattaya-Jomtien (irgnored by the local police) is way beyond anything you will find in most other places in Thailand.  Having said that, there are positive elements about the place.  The Thais have not yet found a way to destroy the ocean and stop the seabreeze, but are no doubt working on it :)  One of the best malls in the world is right here: Central Festival Mall.  Medical care in the region is good and not every person who lives here is a slime-ball psycho.  Most of the people that I know who have left made the decision to leave Thailand altogether (not saying where they went to).  Others who want to move are trying to find another country to move to, which is problematic given the state of the world at present.  I do know a few who have moved to other cities in Thailand, but I am not about to mention where as they will become the next places that will be ruined by growth, growth and more growth. 

On 8/20/2016 at 8:57 AM, yogi100 said:

You've absolutely no need for a car in Pattaya. You can't park anywhere anyway and the transport system is as efficient as any where if not more so. Taxis for special journeys are readily available.

I don't know where this "no parking" meme comes from but it always seems to pop up in threads. There is plenty of free or low-cost car parking just about everywhere in town. All the shopping malls and plazas have parking lots, many businesses "reserve" the curb space in front of their shop for their customers,  there are hotel parking lots all around town There is also plenty of free on-street park. I only drive a car and have no problems finding safe and secure parking anywhere I want to go.

11 hours ago, mrblonde said:

Its been 10 years since I was in Pattaya, and the fact there are very few, if any Russians in town is a HUGE plus for me.  Shocking people

Oh beleive me the Ruskies were HI SO comapared to the chinese.You may want to stay away another 10 years

1 hour ago, mcfish said:

Oh beleive me the Ruskies were HI SO comapared to the chinese.You may want to stay away another 10 years

Hi So compared to the chinese males. Have you checked out the lookers in some of these Chinese girls ?. 

Is Pattaya (and Jomtien) going downhill?  All I know is that lots of people that I know have either moved away or are planning to do so. I just talked with a person this morning who has been here over four years and can't wait to get out of here.  The lack of proper city planning, the destruction of the beach areas in both Pattaya and Jomtien, the destruction of all of the green spaces that used to be here (along with virtually all of the shade trees), the horrible noise pollution that the police ignore,  people pollution (too many), worsening traffic jams, increase in crime, rising tide of xenophobia and the influx of the "worst slice of humanity" have turned a lot of people off. 

Well I got some news to share. I'm moving to CM for a while, not because I want to, but I have friends up there and I need to help them with some business plans. But I'm looking forward to it.

Will I miss Pattaya/Jomtien ? Yes, but not because of the bar scene and night life. I will miss all the good western restaurants here and the mix of nationalities. But I will not miss the terrible traffic and the dirty beaches and trash laying around. After spending a few weeks up north I am surprised how cleaner it is up there. Maybe I was just lucky but looking forward to a change , plenty of green spots, amazing nature and mountains only a few miles outside the city. And they do have a small but interesting night life scene , if I should miss it.

2 hours ago, morrobay said:

Hi So compared to the chinese males. Have you checked out the lookers in some of these Chinese girls ?. 

nah give me a blue eyed white skin big breasted east europen goddess any day over an asian. Im sure many farang who are with little dark Issan..things..prefer that for some reason....but we are different

On 18/08/2016 at 10:10 AM, bkk6060 said:

I run into complainers all the time.  Many at the bars 7 and 8 and Soi Buckaew.  I just get away.  I have been all over the world and this place for me age 61 and healthy is fantastic!  Much better then pergatory USA. I love Pattaya and Thailand.  Many of the complainers I think some are impotent, have no money, health problems.  But eventually their stories turn to how they were shafted by a Thai lady.  They need to look in the mirror as bargirls and Gogo girls  are for fun, not for a good mate.

So where is the fun when the girl is a runner ? Neither good sex nor good conversation?

Do you deny as well the change of attitude? The barfine going up? Aging ladies ?

Some stuffs maybe be subjective but there quite a lot of of facts about the change.

I am done with that , still checking if i will spend a week in Bangkok before going to the Phils. Not  that the Phils be perfect but i get more respect from peoples.

I had some much fun the first year , i am still ok 43 , and last year i was so bored i that i decided it was over.

On 09/08/2016 at 9:38 PM, Flanno said:

I think Pattaya is moving in the right direction if it means that the hard core sex tourists like OP are not happy and going elsewhere. Pattaya is still a fun place with something for everyone and it's great to see more families and couples holidaying here. I spend a lot of time here and enjoy the bar scene but can do without the blatant sleaze which used to be the norm. So my suggestion to OP is to go where you may be happy and spread the word to your kind that Pattaya has changed.

Good for families to try crossing the streets where no cars wants to stop. A world class destination for sure!

6 hours ago, bodymassagemyfriend said:

So where is the fun when the girl is a runner ? Neither good sex nor good conversation?

Good conversation. :w00t: Well at that point you can only let out a pitiful whimper, fall to the ground, and curl up into a fetal position for as long as it takes. When recovered, you run off the Philippines for brilliant conversation and never any runners or scams. ;) GIYF, by the way.

Poster sour grapes dictate that the women of Pattaya must be deemed old, fat, and ugly.  They were said to be so in 2009 in Pattaya Is Dead Dead Dead, another of the perennial Death Certificates. NO further reason for anyone to visit Pattaya! THIS WAS IT. :D

I guess Mighty Mouse said it best back in 2007:

What a dilemma!!!!!

Pattaya is almost dead and the OP is packing his bags to leave along with many of his Pattaya bashing mates.

Do we put up black balloons for the wake, or do we put up multi-coloured balloons for the farewell party?

It probably doesn't really matter what colour they are, a party is a party and Pattaya is, has always been and will always be, party central. :o

So allow me to hold open the door for you departing sad sacks. We wouldn't want the door to hit you in the arse on your way out.

22 hours ago, balo said:

Well I got some news to share. I'm moving to CM for a while, not because I want to, but I have friends up there and I need to help them with some business plans. But I'm looking forward to it.

Will I miss Pattaya/Jomtien ? Yes, but not because of the bar scene and night life. I will miss all the good western restaurants here and the mix of nationalities. But I will not miss the terrible traffic and the dirty beaches and trash laying around. After spending a few weeks up north I am surprised how cleaner it is up there. Maybe I was just lucky but looking forward to a change , plenty of green spots, amazing nature and mountains only a few miles outside the city. And they do have a small but interesting night life scene , if I should miss it.

Assuming that you've actually been to C M, the traffic in Pattaya must have become far, far worse in the past year for you to think C M is better. I hate driving anywhere in C M. It's pretty dirty too.

I wouldn't be counting on the "night life" either. After Pattaya, the very small and insignificant scene there is pretty dismal.

Having said that, many nice places in the hills around C M and up north. Cave Lodge and Chang Dao are excellent. However, avoid going through Mae Rim like the plague and take the 1001 to the MHS loop turn off on the 107.

8 hours ago, bodymassagemyfriend said:

Good for families to try crossing the streets where no cars wants to stop. A world class destination for sure!

Why would any family want to visit Pattaya anyway? Jomptien would be far preferable if a beach is wanted, and the islands are far better than that. Can't think of any other reason for bringing children to Pattaya, unless just staying in a big resort and going on sightseeing trips.

On 22 สิงหาคม 2559 at 7:59 AM, Peterw42 said:

Hmmmmm. I've been to Patong and the areas of Bkk and for night life nothing compares to Pattaya. Kamala- ye gads! Chiang Mai has but a pale, pale shadow as a night life- it's more about temples and eating. Samui - Chaweng is small beer and more about the discos. Lamai had a small but OK area when I last visited many years back but again, small beer.

There is no utopia. People just give up and go home, or keep looking, but it doesn't get better than Pattaya. Which is not to say that Pattaya is great- far from it, but it's better than all the rest.

7 hours ago, thaibeachlovers said:

Assuming that you've actually been to C M, the traffic in Pattaya must have become far, far worse in the past year for you to think C M is better. I hate driving anywhere in C M. It's pretty dirty too.

I have been to CM several times , and I do not agree with you that it's more dirty there than in Pattaya. Yes you will find trash everywhere but not close to how dirty Pattaya is.  During rush hours there can be a lot of traffic in CM but at least the red lights are working , the streets are not difficult to understand , both bikes and cars seem to flow in a normal pattern,  I am a car driver and in Pattaya I always have to worry about bikes  coming from both right and left at high speed, everything is just a bit slower in CM.  

Well that is my impression , we'll see after a few months if I will feel the same. 

Also the big bonus is the beautiful scenery 5 minutes outside the city.  

And I am not that interested in the night life anymore but you can have a good time if you want to . Chiang Mai is big enough for most activities. 

I will probably miss the sea view , but if I want it it's a 1 hour flight away . 

On 12/08/2016 at 0:11 AM, pegman said:

It's always seemed to me that young guys spending time in Pattaya must be real losers.

And they are younger than us which is not only quite upsetting but clearly a critical factor in Pattaya's downhill trajectory. :(

Everyone who is critical of Pattaya and how it's changed over the last 10,15, 20 years is not automatically:

1) bitter

2) been burned by a bar girl

3) currently miserable because of a bar girl

4) a pension millionaire going broke

5) an alcoholic spending their days and nights in go go bars.

6) bored and spending their days and nights in go go bars

or any other cliché you guys post thinking you are cute and clever and trying to stroke your own ego while putting down others. Many of us are just aware of our surroundings and have been in Thailand quite a while to have a much different time frame to compare to now. Can you imagine that we can be happy AND critical of negative things at the same time? Is that possible for you consider?

Also, why is it when someone makes a critical comment about reality, someone has to write "if you don't like it, you can leave." That tells me that you accept being treated poorly and scammed by the locals when you prefer to attack the poster instead of contributing to the topic. You can add to the discourse and disagree, state your reasons, and make the post that much more useful. Some of us do not tolerate being treated poorly.

I'm happy, never been burned by a bar girl, don't frequent go go bars, in a happy relationship with an educated, attractive Thai woman with a good job and I don't abuse substances. I've been financially set for life for quite a while because of hard work and sacrifice and I am far from retirement age. I look out my window and see the beach everyday. Nothing to be bitter about.

Yet, I find a lot of problems with Pattaya/Jomtien that have been getting much worse over the last 15+ years. Because I am aware of my surroundings and comment on them, according to many, I have to leave the country.

Really, you need to come up with better clichés to quote.

On 8/23/2016 at 2:01 PM, thaibeachlovers said:

Why would any family want to visit Pattaya anyway? Jomptien would be far preferable if a beach is wanted, and the islands are far better than that. Can't think of any other reason for bringing children to Pattaya, unless just staying in a big resort and going on sightseeing trips.

My family goes to see the daughters working at go go's.  Eat dinner, catch up on old times see if the kids got a Farang yet.  You know same same stuff.  

On 8/12/2016 at 6:11 AM, pegman said:

It's always seemed to me that young guys spending time in Pattaya must be real losers.

Why, do you think young guys should only be confined to Ibiza or the Costas?

19 hours ago, balo said:

I have been to CM several times , and I do not agree with you that it's more dirty there than in Pattaya. Yes you will find trash everywhere but not close to how dirty Pattaya is.  During rush hours there can be a lot of traffic in CM but at least the red lights are working , the streets are not difficult to understand , both bikes and cars seem to flow in a normal pattern,  I am a car driver and in Pattaya I always have to worry about bikes  coming from both right and left at high speed, everything is just a bit slower in CM.

Well that is my impression , we'll see after a few months if I will feel the same.

Also the big bonus is the beautiful scenery 5 minutes outside the city.

And I am not that interested in the night life anymore but you can have a good time if you want to . Chiang Mai is big enough for most activities.

I will probably miss the sea view , but if I want it it's a 1 hour flight away .

everything is just a bit slower in CM.

LOL. Try stationary, at least on some roads in the old part of town, like past the hospital. The only realistic way to get around is on a m'bike, which is what i do.

By red lights, do you mean pedestrian crossing lights? Very few in C M. It's a nightmare trying to cross the roads around the moat on foot.

On 21 สิงหาคม 2559 at 3:00 PM, JSixpack said:

And I understand why you're the way you are, obviously. However, Stray's intention as I understand it is to come down for a brief visit just to see the place. He doesn't seem to be an impecunious old fart who must of necessity flop in a Soi Buakhao roach coach and eat only at Kiss and from street vendors when not shuffling down the promenade in search of a seat. But I did also recommend he visit the Soi Buakhao area where he may observe the OAP lifestyle (and more) and choose it if he so wishes. :D Pattaya provides.

Being very familiar with Buakhao I wouldn't advise anyone to go there without warning them that it is very dangerous ( no pavements and fast vehicles ). I have had many a close shave.

Given that we both like Pattaya, I think the difference between you and me is that you wear the saffron glasses and don't see the problems, while I see the problems and still like the place.

Archived