Pattaya going downhill!

pepi2005

2 hours ago, thaibeachlovers said:

Being very familiar with Buakhao I wouldn't advise anyone to go there without warning them that it is very dangerous ( no pavements and fast vehicles ). I have had many a close shave.

Given that we both like Pattaya, I think the difference between you and me is that you wear the saffron glasses and don't see the problems, while I see the problems and still like the place.

Even with no glasses one can see the sidewalks.

• Replies 784
  • Created
  • Last Reply
3 hours ago, Global Guy said:

Can you imagine that we can be happy AND critical of negative things at the same time? Is that possible for you consider?

No, because you only whinge. And you call any objective observer "a real estate agent" etc. because he can see both the bad and good, points out the good, and laughs at the silliness of the whinge.

Yes walking on soi Buakhao is risky business, a friends friend got knocked over by a car a few days ago and broke his shoulder, the car didn't stop.

At least walk against the traffic but still risky.

A very lively street, beers often below 60 baht.

2 hours ago, thaibeachlovers said:

Being very familiar with Buakhao I wouldn't advise anyone to go there without warning them that it is very dangerous ( no pavements and fast vehicles ). I have had many a close shave.

Yes, ma'am. I know you're very familiar with Buakhao. But I would because I feel confident that Stray's a man who needs no nanny to point out the totally obvious he can readily see for himself. He does drive in Thailand.

Your shuffling probably leaves you at higher risk.

Given that we both like Pattaya, I think the difference between you and me is that you wear the saffron glasses and don't see the problems, while I see the problems and still like the place.

You wish, but I see both the problems and the good aspects; I've always been able to work around the problems, so they don't much bother me, and so I can enjoy the goodness. The difference is that you like the place because you love whinging about it so very much. I guess we'll be hearing those daily now that you're moving here for a while. Why not spare us and take them instead to the Banglamung Complaint Center?

Banglamung officially opens complaint center

Banglamung District officially has opened its government complaint center aimed at solving problems and better communicating with residents, as per an order from the National Council for Peace and Order.

--http://www.pattayamail.com/news/banglamung-officially-opens-complaint-center-40360

27 minutes ago, craigt3365 said:

I hate walking down Buakhao. Too much traffic,  no sidewalks,  and it stinks!:lol:

Thank you for sharing. Pattaya has offended the OP's delicate aesthetic sensibilities; he may even have been discomfited by a pothole; and so he should know that sensitive nostrils are also at risk.

12 minutes ago, Asiantravel said:

I avoid it like the plague. :bah:

I lived on Soi Buakhow for a number of years and walked its length every morning for exercise.  Some places don't have sidewalks some places do.  It's a great street and never struck me as to smelly as long as you avoid the European guys.  Thai people smell fine.  Check out the video above, I think it's recent and shows where the sidewalks are and where they are not.

I hate walking down Buakhao. Too much traffic,  no sidewalks,  and it stinks![emoji38]

Deary me what a precious drama queen!
It's no different to thousands of other sois and you simply blend in with the rythem and you won't get run down.

I honestly believe you have a bigger chance of dying on a plane...and I dare anyone to post a link to a farang death on soi Buakhao!

Sent from my SC-01D using Tapatalk

4 minutes ago, mcfish said:

It's no different to thousands of other sois and you simply blend in with the rythem and you won't get run down.

I honestly believe you have a bigger chance of dying on a plane...and I dare anyone to post a link to a farang death on soi Buakhao!

7 years ago I didn’t hate it and even cycled down it almost every day on my way to the old Carrefour and felt quite safe. But back then there didn’t seem to be half as many motorcycle racers or cars as there are now. The reason I don’t like it now has nothing to do with smell or which  nationality occupies it. For me it’s because there is simply too much traffic with impatient  riders and drivers to feel safe as you walk along it .

10 minutes ago, mcfish said:

" blend in with the rythem and you won't get run down ":giggle:

it doesn't have to be what you do.  it can be what some other a**hole motorcycle taxi driver decides to do

" blend in with the rythem and you won't get run down ":giggle:

it doesn't have to be what you do.  it can be what some other a**hole motorcycle taxi driver decides to do

motorcycles do a good job missing people even scared to death farang who repeat a thousand times how they are only alive by the grace of God lol

Must be a hundred deaths a year on that soi..

Any links?

Hmmm nah didn't think so [emoji99]

14 minutes ago, mcfish said:

motorcycles do a good job missing people even scared to death farang who repeat a thousand times how they are only alive by the grace of God lol

Must be a hundred deaths a year on that soi..

Any links?

Hmmm nah didn't think so emoji99.png

How on earth do you know what goes on along the entire length of that soi day by day or during the night as far as accidents are concerned? who said anything about deaths ? suffering a broken shoulder after being hit by a car as referred to in Post 186 is bad enough. I certainly couldn’t share your confidence when it comes to how they regard pedestrians:facepalm:

http://bangkok.coconuts.co/2015/11/05/real-footage-pedestrian-accidents-aims-change-thai-driving-behavior-video-fb-look-left

10 hours ago, mcfish said:

A precious drama queen?  Really? :lol:

It's totally different from many other sois.  And I've walked all over Pattaya.  Sure, some are similar, like the one behind Tukcom, but who'd walk there! :thumbsup: 

I really wonder about the sanity of people who think that soi buakhao is dangerous to walk down.

Walk opposite the direction of traffic, keep to the right hand side of the road as much as possible and you'll be fine.

Walked and ridden that soi hundreds of times and, unbelievably, still alive to tell the tale.

I believe that TV should start to offer discounted grips to many of its members.

3 hours ago, BaldPlumber said:

I really wonder about the sanity of people who think that soi buakhao is dangerous to walk down.

Walk opposite the direction of traffic, keep to the right hand side of the road as much as possible and you'll be fine.

Walked and ridden that soi hundreds of times and, unbelievably, still alive to tell the tale.

I believe that TV should start to offer discounted grips to many of its members.

Sure just walk in opposite direction of traffic - along with all the lowlife motorbike  drivers.

And by the way ^ The consencous is that the downhill really got steep starting 6 - 8 years ago

17 hours ago, Scotwight said:

Even with no glasses one can see the sidewalks.

Thanks for posting that link. At first I thought you WERE saying there are pavements, LOL.

How anyone can say that Buakhao is safe to walk on is beyond me.

5 hours ago, BaldPlumber said:

The times I have nearly been maimed on that road were by maniacs speeding on the WRONG SIDE of the road. So much for walking against the traffic 555555555555555555555555

It's time to put a new road alongside Buakhao ( easily done now while few buildings are on the land ) and make Buakhao a walking street. That would then allow them to move ALL the bars from Beach and Second into Buakhao. Everyone would be happy then.

I know I'm dreaming :)

3 minutes ago, thaibeachlovers said:

Thanks for posting that link. At first I thought you WERE saying there are pavements, LOL.

How anyone can say that Buakhao is safe to walk on is beyond me.

The times I have nearly been maimed on that road were by maniacs speeding on the WRONG SIDE of the road. So much for walking against the traffic 555555555555555555555555

It's time to put a new road alongside Buakhao ( easily done now while few buildings are on the land ) and make Buakhao a walking street. That would then allow them to move ALL the bars from Beach and Second into Buakhao. Everyone would be happy then.

I know I'm dreaming :)

Not such a bad idea,  

Could make it one way  and put all the girly bars there,   would be ok.

That would leave beach road and Walking street to the families

and other undesirables. :giggle:

Win Win i would say. :thumbsup:

Went last nite to Walking Street, took my dad first time, he lives in Miami. I wasn't on WS long time but it looks like its lost place, dad said its better gogos in FL and he was surprised and asking why girls not getting naked. Yeh they dont anymore, he was saying they do in FL. Guess they done due to police crackdowns, place is not fun at all. Its not the same.WS as few years ago.

And the girls were constantly begging for tips and drinks.

Russian gogo had prices from central london in it.

15min priv dance 100usd
Take girl out 10000thb and hour and min is 2h

And they pushy like want u take that priv dance for 100usd heh.

Boooring

Sent from my SM-G935F using Tapatalk

On ‎8‎/‎19‎/‎2016 at 4:09 PM, JSixpack said:

Bender's one of our trolls, hopefully on his way out. Pay no attn & keep in mind what the average poster here looks like. ;)

Every man should visit Pattaya at least once in his life. Stay in central Pattaya, park the car right away & take baht buses & motorbike taxis. Burn the inside of your leg on a motorbike exhaust pipe. Later this will be a good spot for a Pattaya Forever tattoo. Have lunch at Hippo in the mall or at the Hilton buffet. Hit the classics. TQ, oldest go-go bar in Pattaya, for "daytime is playtime." Feelin' good, head down the Hopf for a bite & some of their fine wheat beer. Next block, walk down Soi Post Office, been there forever and about the same as its always been. Oh--get sleazy at the Nevada Go-Go near the Beach Rd. corner. Then make THE classic walk down Beach Rd to Walking Street for an evening of whatever. :) Next day, explore the Soi Buakhao area; lots of restos and Pattaya craziness; after 6, hit the go-gos on LK Metro. Hit Soi 6 at some point; watch your wallet among the katoeys halfway down the soi. Have a bite at the Queen Vic and a Guinness. :)  As for Jomtien, mmmm, not a must-see but the view from the Pattaya Park tower is worth seeing.

Notwithstanding the infestation of whingers, cynics, and rabid bashers on the forum, most of us are pretty happy living in our cesspool. There's actually lots more to do here than, you know, just drinkin' and enjoyin' soapies and threesomes all the time—which ain't too bad, come down to it. Relevant threads: When boredom starts to rule the day, I Love Pattaya, and Why live in Pattaya?.

Finally you'll need to get yourself an I Love Pattaya T-shirt from a street vendor and wear it to the Big C shopping mall on Pattaya Klang and to Foodland further up the same street. Your purpose? To check the bulletin boards for a rental apartment to move here permanently! :)

Thanks for the tips, JSixpack.

I'm no stranger to SEAsia after spending the late '80's in Vietnam (a country that, according to the *experts, was never going to take off), all of the '90's in Vietnam and Cambodia (during that time, according to the experts, Vietnam had hit it's peak, was going downhill and Cambodia was never going to take off, did so, hit it's peak and was going downhill) and all of the '00's in Vietnam (during which time, according to the experts, had hit rock bottom/was still going downhill and would never rebound from it's peak in the mid-90's).

All of these stories, pertaining to Pattaya, are not unique.  Remove the word 'Pattaya' and just insert Saigon/HCMC, Vung Tau, Mui Ne, Phnom Penh, Sihanoukville/Kompong Som, Siem Reap and you could almost have the same thread running.

What really makes a place is what you make of it.  If there's some aspect you don't like, avoid it.  If you can't avoid it, do something to change or alleviate it.  It's not easy to do but, instead of expending the energy on complaining, use the energy on research.  Join civic/community groups and get active.  If you're truly a member of the community you should be taking an interest in the things that are in your community and working with your neighbours to improve it.

Perhaps you won't achieve jack-sh!t but you'll be doing something more constructive than moaning to a passive audience on a forum.

Then, for those who are quite happy to be where they are, more power to them.  Not everyone wants to change the world and are enjoying what they have, where they have it.  Sure, we all like to have a good moan, from time to time, regardless of how good things are.  But, leave it at that.  Why continually shoot down those that don't share your negative feelings?  They may see your point but don't necessarily have to share in your depression.

I've spent most of my adult life in SEAsia and, while each of the countries are uniquely different (as well as regions within those countries), what isn't different are the tales (particularly of doom) that the expats in each of these areas tell.

JSixpack, you're a breath of fresh air and I thank you for taking the time to enlighten us all with your bright and witty insights on an otherwise dull thread of doom and gloom.  Your tips won't be wasted as I'll definitely be down your way, by the end of the year, to have fun on the long, long, long downhill slide . . .

*expert.  An 'ex-' is an 'has been.'  A 'xpert' (spurt) is a drip under pressure.

21 hours ago, onemorechang said:

Not such a bad idea,  

Could make it one way  and put all the girly bars there,   would be ok.

That would leave beach road and Walking street to the families

and other undesirables. :giggle:

Win Win i would say. :thumbsup:

I have a better idea make a family zone on the Eastside with all the theme parks where they belong.

And leave the beach and walking street for the main attractions. Soi  Bukow ?  you can have it.

20 hours ago, Stray said:

Thanks for the tips, JSixpack.

I'm no stranger to SEAsia after spending the late '80's in Vietnam (a country that, according to the *experts, was never going to take off), all of the '90's in Vietnam and Cambodia (during that time, according to the experts, Vietnam had hit it's peak, was going downhill and Cambodia was never going to take off, did so, hit it's peak and was going downhill) and all of the '00's in Vietnam (during which time, according to the experts, had hit rock bottom/was still going downhill and would never rebound from it's peak in the mid-90's).

All of these stories, pertaining to Pattaya, are not unique.  Remove the word 'Pattaya' and just insert Saigon/HCMC, Vung Tau, Mui Ne, Phnom Penh, Sihanoukville/Kompong Som, Siem Reap and you could almost have the same thread running.

What really makes a place is what you make of it.  If there's some aspect you don't like, avoid it.  If you can't avoid it, do something to change or alleviate it.  It's not easy to do but, instead of expending the energy on complaining, use the energy on research.  Join civic/community groups and get active.  If you're truly a member of the community you should be taking an interest in the things that are in your community and working with your neighbours to improve it.

Perhaps you won't achieve jack-sh!t but you'll be doing something more constructive than moaning to a passive audience on a forum.

Then, for those who are quite happy to be where they are, more power to them.  Not everyone wants to change the world and are enjoying what they have, where they have it.  Sure, we all like to have a good moan, from time to time, regardless of how good things are.  But, leave it at that.  Why continually shoot down those that don't share your negative feelings?  They may see your point but don't necessarily have to share in your depression.

I've spent most of my adult life in SEAsia and, while each of the countries are uniquely different (as well as regions within those countries), what isn't different are the tales (particularly of doom) that the expats in each of these areas tell.

JSixpack, you're a breath of fresh air and I thank you for taking the time to enlighten us all with your bright and witty insights on an otherwise dull thread of doom and gloom.  Your tips won't be wasted as I'll definitely be down your way, by the end of the year, to have fun on the long, long, long downhill slide . . .

*expert.  An 'ex-' is an 'has been.'  A 'xpert' (spurt) is a drip under pressure.

As you state in #129  "The  reason I have never visited Pattaya"

Maybe you should wait until you visit Pattaya before making comparisons.

Having said that, since you have never visited you wont have much credibility on this topic that is comparing  the present Pattaya to the recent past. Refer you to my posts # 80 and 96  for what its worth.

And by the way ^  " An 'ex' is  a '  recent has been.     

2 hours ago, morrobay said:

As you state in #129  "The  reason I have never visited Pattaya"

Maybe you should wait until you visit Pattaya before making comparisons.

Having said that, since you have never visited you wont have much credibility on this topic that is comparing  the present Pattaya to the recent past. Refer you to my posts # 80 and 96  for what its worth.

And by the way ^  " An 'ex' is  a '  recent has been.    

Quite right too. It always amazes me the number of people that say they would never go to Pattaya and then claim to know all about it.

When he says "Join civic/community groups and get active.  If you're truly a member of the community you should be taking an interest in the things that are in your community and working with your neighbours to improve it." I wonder if he is in for a real shock when he does get to visit/ live and realises that that just isn't a starter in Pattaya. I find it hard to believe that Vietnam actually allows westerners to tell them what to do though.

2 hours ago, morrobay said:

I have a better idea make a family zone on the Eastside with all the theme parks where they belong.

And leave the beach and walking street for the main attractions. Soi  Bukow ?  you can have it.

Not going to happen. The beach is where they want to have all the rich people that they dream will flock to Pattaya if only they can get rid of the barbeers. They seem to think rich people will overlook the broken infrastructure, the pedestrian crossing lights that don't work, the lack of police law enforcement, the general dirtyness and the out of control traffic.

26 minutes ago, thaibeachlovers said:

Quite right too. It always amazes me the number of people that say they would never go to Pattaya and then claim to know all about it.

When he says "Join civic/community groups and get active.  If you're truly a member of the community you should be taking an interest in the things that are in your community and working with your neighbours to improve it." I wonder if he is in for a real shock when he does get to visit/ live and realises that that just isn't a starter in Pattaya. I find it hard to believe that Vietnam actually allows westerners to tell them what to do though.

I think you are a trifle unfair here. There are individuals who commit their time to charities/orphanages etc and there are 2 expat clubs to involve oneself if so inclined. A number of those who live in Patts tire of the usual stuff do other things.

26 minutes ago, thaibeachlovers said:

Not going to happen. The beach is where they want to have all the rich people that they dream will flock to Pattaya if only they can get rid of the barbeers. They seem to think rich people will overlook the broken infrastructure, the pedestrian crossing lights that don't work, the lack of police law enforcement, the general dirtyness and the out of control traffic.

Well, we don't. :coffee1:

1 hour ago, thaibeachlovers said:

They seem to think rich people will overlook the broken infrastructure, the pedestrian crossing lights that don't work, the lack of police law enforcement, the general dirtyness and the out of control traffic.

Are you talking about Pattaya? :gigglem:

Archived