Pattaya going downhill!

pepi2005

13 minutes ago, JSixpack said:

But you see it all rests on perception. He's perceived "Beach" in the name; therefore, it IS in the name and proves an important point. A photo from 2008 is exactly the same as an imaginary photo from 2016; therefore, there's been no change! :cheesy: Classic.

It's the posters who lie.

important point isn't Pattaya beach or Pattaya or 2016 article or 2008 photo.That's the smokescreen you are trying to create.

That beach IS filthy and that's the point bud.

Now..You can think it's pristine until the cows come back but sorry for popping your balloon but they ain't coming back until the authorities figure out what to do about it.

• Replies 784
  • Created
  • Last Reply
2 minutes ago, pattayadude said:

important point isn't Pattaya beach or Pattaya or 2016 article or 2008 photo.That's the smokescreen you are trying to create.

Well, no, you made a big point out of it, grasping for every lil' straw. Wonder why that's so important?

Now..You can think it's pristine until the cows come back but sorry for popping your balloon but they ain't coming back until the authorities figure out what to do about it.

Another straw man and therefore typical nonsense. No poster in the history of TVF has ever claimed at any time that Pattaya beach is pristine. Nor have the "authorities" ever even claimed to be trying to make it pristine. That's 'cause the lack of such has never actually been a BIG problem holding back Pattaya's economic development. The only people with their knickers in twist are--TVF posters, for finger pointing and phony hand wringing (or as NanLaew would say, "self pleasuring."). Those who really care simply go elsewhere. :)

39 minutes ago, JSixpack said:

:cheesy:

And don't know any other, which kinda figures, right? Yet the vast majority of residents, full and part-time here, thousands, aren't among those whom you know. In the history of TVF there have ever only been few posters expressing their burning desire to leave. For every one who does, a thousand Brits are dreaming in their council estates about how they could move here permanently.

Many do love whinging, however, and would do so wherever. If it weren't so off-topic I'd paste in a few whinges from expats in Portugal. Lots of whinging about Cambodia, VN, and PI, as you'll see if read in the other subforums. Naturally, the expats I know here are pretty well satisfied with Pattaya and Thailand. :)

Well, no, if they were similar to Pattaya-Jomtien our whingers would bleat the same whinges as they do about Pattaya-Jomtien. For example, you need to take a look at the VN idea of traffic management to appreciate the job our much-maligned City Hall has done:

And yes, it exists even in smaller towns. Try driving or riding around in the beach town of Vung Tau; try getting yourself out alive for a "relaxing" trip up the coast.

Haha.  Good video.  It is fun to see but those places I have been and they are the minor leagues compared to Thailand/Pattaya.    

24 minutes ago, Awohalitsiktoli said:

Some of these posts force me to the conclusion that if you heavily invest in real estate over here and are unable to accept the fact that you made a terrible investment decision you end up nuts, trying to convince people that a "dead parrot" is actually alive and kicking:

As I noted earlier, the evidence suggests that vast majority of full-time and part-time residents here like the place well enough. By contrast, the vast majority of complainers are merely renters and so may simply suffer from sour grapes.

Sounds more like you personally believe you've made a terrible investment and are punishing yourself for not having the balls to leave and find happiness elsewhere--as I always encourage our whingers to do, but then they enjoy whinging about Pattaya so much that they won't stop even after they leave and continue to bore us with repetition ad nauseam. Guess it's like phantom limb pain after an amputation. Or maybe it's just a case of a dog needs his fleas, imaginary or not.

Yep, Pattaya is definitely alive and kicking. Last year 8.1 million tourists ("overnight international visitors," not day trippers, who for doom's higher purpose can't be considered tourists here as they are elsewhere) stayed in Pattaya, representing a 10% growth from the coup year of 2014, according to MasterCard’s Inaugural Asia Pacific Destinations Index (NOT TAT). There's more, but we don't believe in them ol' numbers here. ;) This year it seems we'll have fewer Chinese tour groups. Nobody will miss them I think. But I'm noticing a pickup in the number of Russians, just to mention the two most excoriated groups on the forum.

Maybe you should bide your time and just keep a close eye on Kiss Food & Drinks on 2nd Rd. When it closes up, then you can rejoice in Pattaya's death. Stupid Thais. ;) Yeah--the Kiss Food & Drinks Indicator ©2016 JSixpack.

The hen is the wisest of all the animal creation because she never cackles until after the egg has been laid.

--Abraham Lincoln

Snapped these photos this evening on my walk to Central Festival for dinner and some shopping.  They were taken looking north and south on Pattaya Beach from around the Hard Rock Hotel area.  As you can see, there are some pieces of trash here and there in the pics--as JSixpack has said, nobody, including me, has ever claimed on TVF that Pattaya Beach is "pristine".  But, I don't think anybody looking at these photos would describe the beach as "filthy"--as several posters always refer to it.

PB South.jpg

P_20161121_174625_1_p.jpg

1 hour ago, JSixpack said:

Maybe you should bide your time and just keep a close eye on Kiss Food & Drinks on 2nd Rd. When it closes up, then you can rejoice in Pattaya's death. Stupid Thais. ;) Yeah--the Kiss Food & Drinks Indicator ©2016 JSixpack.

When Kiss food closes will indicate that Pattaya has gone upper class and the lowlifes have left.

13 hours ago, newnative said:

Snapped these photos this evening on my walk to Central Festival for dinner and some shopping.  They were taken looking north and south on Pattaya Beach from around the Hard Rock Hotel area.  As you can see, there are some pieces of trash here and there in the pics--as JSixpack has said, nobody, including me, has ever claimed on TVF that Pattaya Beach is "pristine".  But, I don't think anybody looking at these photos would describe the beach as "filthy"--as several posters always refer to it.

PB South.jpg

P_20161121_174625_1_p.jpg

Plenty pattaya dudes can surf the internet for pictures of the beach immediately after a heavy storm surge when it is typically littered (like any other beach in the world) with lots of debris, or pictures of the short-term flash floods that hit Beach Road maybe 3 or 4 times a year in the short, rainy season, or pictures in the immediate aftermath of a sewage pipe breakage. That's all a bit disingenuous and anyone that lives in Pattaya, regardless if it has been over 20 years or less than 1 year pretty much knows that. It's like posting a picture taken on Jomtien on a typical, city-sanctioned 'no beach umbrella day', then posting it with the comment that Pattaya is dead because there's no tourists in sight.

Then there are sensible new natives who post actual, factual pictures. Thanks.

19 hours ago, JSixpack said:

.... For example, you need to take a look at the VN idea of traffic management to appreciate the job our much-maligned City Hall has done:

And yes, it exists even in smaller towns. Try driving or riding around in the beach town of Vung Tau; try getting yourself out alive for a "relaxing" trip up the coast.

Based on that video clip and my experience about 4 times a day at the Buakhao/Lengkee/Diana 'crossroads', I reckon Pattaya City Hall are doing a brilliant job and well on the way to emulating the organized mayhem that prevails in Vietnam. However, Thai drivers (and most foreign ones that have been around the block) avoid using the horn to the extent they do in Vietnam for which I for one, am eternally grateful.

On 11/20/2016 at 7:17 PM, Flanno said:

So why don't all the whingers who say Pattaya is going downhill just get up and go somewhere else? Probably because they would be whinging an whining wherever they are!

I'm in Pattaya now and enjoying it as much as I ever have over the last 17 years. Yeah the traffic, infrastructure and beach could certainly be improved but the positives far outweigh the negatives. Excellent accommodation, good food and beer all at very reasonable prices and there are heaps of expats who are happy living here and lead good lives. If there's better value elsewhere then why aren't the whiners there?

A lot of the 'whingers' you refer to are simply people making negative comments about certain aspects of life in Pattaya. These comments can be useful and informative and can warn others not to let the same misfortune befall them. And can let other folk know what bars, hotels and eateries etc to avoid.

Who wants to read pink and fluffy fairy tales. It's the bad news that sells cos people want to read it.

2 hours ago, yogi100 said:

A lot of the 'whingers' you refer to are simply people making negative comments about certain aspects of life in Pattaya. These comments can be useful and informative and can warn others not to let the same misfortune befall them. And can let other folk know what bars, hotels and eateries etc to avoid.

Who wants to read pink and fluffy fairy tales. It's the bad news that sells cos people want to read it.

The so called "whingers" (whiners/complainers) are often engaged in "positive negativism".  They are trying to reflect reality and want to point out a problem with the hope of it being recognized as a problem and corrected.   If a whiner/complainer does not also point out the positives, he/she is not to be trusted.  On the other side, if a member of the "Rose-colored glasses brigade" never points out the negatives, he/she is not to be trusted.  Nobody can truthfully say that I do not point out both the negatives and positives.   For, me the negatives outweigh the positives.  For others, it is 100% la la land--all smiles and no problems.  IMHO, these people are  involved in the local real estate market or are sexual predators/alcoholics, but some really do love this place and see it as a wonderful alternative to Siberia or Syria, or the urban ghetto in the US they came from).

2 hours ago, yogi100 said:

No. Clearly you don't really know what you're talking about as complaints about business establishments (specific bars, hotels, eateries) aren't really permitted here, wisely enough, as they run afoul of Thai libel laws. Those laws are a lot stricter in Thailand than in the West.

And believe it or not, legit, reasonable complaints are sometimes posted on the forum. Among them are complaints about assault and damages whose perps would normally be liable, under Thai law, for arrest, charges, fining, damages or even imprisonment. Yes, those can be useful and informative. That's not what's meant by "whinging."

About the "certain aspects of life," Flanno (and others) are merely following the standard definition. From the OED:

whinge, n. orig. Sc. and dial. (hw?nd?) A whine, esp. a peevish complaint.
whine, n. (hwa?n) An act of whining; a low somewhat shrill protracted cry, usually expressive of pain or distress; a suppressed nasal tone, as of feeble, mean, or undignified complaint; a complaint uttered in this tone. Also transf. a sound resembling this.
1822 Hazlitt Table-t. Ser. ii. i. (1869) 17 A peevish whine in his voice like a beaten schoolboy.  

We have countless whinges in the feeble, mean, undignified category. No complaint is too trivial to bring to the attention of the forum from runny eggs to a haircut with white sidewalls to a cashier who didn't smile.

old-lady.jpg

An UNEVEN DRAINAGE GRATING?

How is it possible? What's NEXT??? Thais!

But then there's

peevish, a. ('pi?v??)
5.5 Morose, querulous, irritable, ill-tempered, childishly fretful.a.5.a Of persons.
1708 Swift Abolit. Chr., Excellent materials to keep children quiet when they grow peevish.
b.5.b Of personal qualities, actions, etc.: Characterized by or exhibiting petty vexation.

Into the peevish group fall The Finger Pointers with their constant repetition of the same old whinges about Pattaya's urban planning or perceived lack thereof. What's petty is that they rest on silly false assumptions, ignorance of history, or downright lies (such as we've seen in this thread), like the beach WAS pristine but shock! now isn't--yet it should be according to the poster's pleasure. This poster is somehow owed something--owed Santa Barbara but w/ cheap rent, beer & sex fit for the OAP's budget.

Now obviously it's silly and childish to complain about what Pattaya never promised or contracted. It is what it is and that's what it is, period. A man accepts with grace what he can't change and acts accordingly. Acts.

They may come up with the same old litany or they may fixate on a particular aspect, such as Mr. Pristine Beach or Mr. View From the Hill or Mr. Shops Closing.

curmudgeon.jpg

Grrrr. Pollution, rats, trash, traffic,

no seats, no shade, no view, no butt wipes,

dirt, sandbags!

Now the worst cases are merely a small group, maybe 4-5, who enjoyed some aspect of Pattaya 15 or 20 years ago and childishly can't accept that it wasn't preserved in the course of Pattaya's development--and that it isn't coming back; in fact, Pattaya's just gon' continue developing, which they hate.

This whinge rests on the nonsensical assumption that Pattaya had granted them a perpetual entitlement to enjoy the whatever. So they always jump in and try to hijack any thread relating to Pattaya's quality of life. Mr. Old Growth Trees, Mr. Promenade, and Mr. Promenade Me Too, for example. They want revenge on stupid, wicked City Hall and call forth righteous DOOM upon Pattaya to exact it. They insist everyone's moving to Cambodia but won't move there themselves. ;) Evidently, they live for posting their whinges, so they'll never stop.

Who wants to read pink and fluffy fairy tales. It's the bad news that sells cos people want to read it.

But you won't read any such here. Some news, occasionally bad like the brief "No Dancing Before 6" rule; but mostly just bashing, sly bigotry, doom and gloom masquerading as news. If you want to read that, you've come to the right place.

Meanwhile, the sun's coming out, cool season's upon us, and I and many others are finding Pattaya's not perfect but still a very nice place to be. Cheers from my fave barstool and the black-haired angels surrounding! :)

4 minutes ago, JSixpack said:

No. Clearly you don't really know what you're talking about as complaints about business establishments (specific bars, hotels, eateries) aren't really permitted here, wisely enough, as they run afoul of Thai libel laws. Those laws are a lot stricter in Thailand than in the West.

And believe it or not, legit, reasonable complaints are sometimes posted on the forum. Among them are complaints about assault and damages whose perps would normally be liable, under Thai law, for arrest, charges, fining, damages or even imprisonment. Yes, those can be useful and informative. That's not what's meant by "whinging."

About the "certain aspects of life," Flanno (and others) are merely following the standard definition. From the OED:

whinge, n. orig. Sc. and dial. (hw?nd?) A whine, esp. a peevish complaint.
whine, n. (hwa?n) An act of whining; a low somewhat shrill protracted cry, usually expressive of pain or distress; a suppressed nasal tone, as of feeble, mean, or undignified complaint; a complaint uttered in this tone. Also transf. a sound resembling this.
1822 Hazlitt Table-t. Ser. ii. i. (1869) 17 A peevish whine in his voice like a beaten schoolboy.  

We have countless whinges in the feeble, mean, undignified category. No complaint is too trivial to bring to the attention of the forum from runny eggs to a haircut with white sidewalls to a cashier who didn't smile.

old-lady.jpg

An UNEVEN DRAINAGE GRATING?

How is it possible? What's NEXT??? Thais!

But then there's

peevish, a. ('pi?v??)
5.5 Morose, querulous, irritable, ill-tempered, childishly fretful.a.5.a Of persons.
1708 Swift Abolit. Chr., Excellent materials to keep children quiet when they grow peevish.
b.5.b Of personal qualities, actions, etc.: Characterized by or exhibiting petty vexation.

Into the peevish group fall The Finger Pointers with their constant repetition of the same old whinges about Pattaya's urban planning or perceived lack thereof. What's petty is that they rest on silly false assumptions, ignorance of history, or downright lies (such as we've seen in this thread), like the beach WAS pristine but shock! now isn't--yet it should be according to the poster's pleasure. This poster is somehow owed something--owed Santa Barbara but w/ cheap rent, beer & sex fit for the OAP's budget.

Now obviously it's silly and childish to complain about what Pattaya never promised or contracted. It is what it is and that's what it is, period. A man accepts with grace what he can't change and acts accordingly. Acts.

They may come up with the same old litany or they may fixate on a particular aspect, such as Mr. Pristine Beach or Mr. View From the Hill or Mr. Shops Closing.

curmudgeon.jpg

Grrrr. Pollution, rats, trash, traffic,

no seats, no shade, no view, no butt wipes,

dirt, sandbags!

Now the worst cases are merely a small group, maybe 5 or 6, who enjoyed some aspect of Pattaya 15 or 20 years ago and childishly can't accept that it wasn't preserved in the course of Pattaya's development--and that isn't coming back.

This whinge rests on the nonsensical assumption that Pattaya had granted them a perpetual entitlement to enjoy the whatever. So they always jump in and try to hijack any thread relating to Pattaya's quality of life. Mr. Old Growth Trees, Mr. Promenade, and Mr. Promenade Me Too, for example. They want revenge on stupid, wicked City Hall and call forth righteous DOOM upon Pattaya to exact it. They insist everyone's moving to Cambodia but won't move there themselves. ;) Evidently, they live for posting their whinges, so they'll never stop.

But you won't read any such here. Some news, occasionally bad like the brief "No Dancing Before 6" rule; but mostly just doom and gloom masquerading as news. If you want to read that, you've come to the right place.

Meanwhile, the sun's coming out, cool season's upon us, and I and many others are finding Pattaya's not perfect but still a very nice place to be. Cheers from my fave barstool and the black-haired angels surrounding! :)

Thai Visa is not the only outlet on which people can comment about the different aspects of life in Pattaya. And the title of the thread is about Pattaya going downhill not Thai Visa's rules and regulations regarding the matter.

1 minute ago, yogi100 said:

Thai Visa is not the only outlet on which people can comment about the different aspects of life in Pattaya.

Really? ;) But you see, you posted on TV in response to another post on TV that related to posting on TV. And you're not talking about just comments but negative comments.

And the title of the thread is about Pattaya going downhill not Thai Visa's rules and regulations regarding the matter.

But TV's rules and regulations govern the types of responses permitted in all threads, so you couldn't have been reading useful informative negative comments about particular establishments here as you tried to claim in support of your point.

Next.

31 minutes ago, pattayadude said:

that's right! they don't!

They do for me. Joked around just yesterday w/ a cashier at Lotus. :) So this just illustrates why it's better not to come to Pattaya with a puckered sphincter or develop one upon arrival. Soon as Pattaya detects that puckering, it figures you just don't have what it takes be no hansum man ever.

So with your best interests at heart, it starts working to help you reach ASAP the terminal "last nail in the coffin" and "killed the goose" gibbering stage and bugger off. Wassat mean? It's worse than no smiling. Cashiers also shortchange you without even a smile; mechanics leave lug nuts off your wheels; dentists extract the wrong teeth; parking attendants suddenly appear in vacant lots; barbers give you white sidewalls; ladies all have unexpected appendages; baht bus drivers charge you 20 baht; Air Asia won't refund your money; ISPs block and throttle your internet; ATMs swallow your cards; loud music or karaoke plays nearby so you can't sleep; the pumping station by the entrance to Walking Street stinks at you. And your eyesight! The beach looks still trashed from 2008. Shops at CentralFestival seem always empty. Bars are filled with those golden eggs-laying geese, but you can't see 'em!

Yeah, everything just piles on to make your life as miserable as possible. Oh, torture without end. Oh, whingeing, cynical, fatuous posts without end.

Now that you know what's going on, you know what to do. Resistance against Pattaya is futile.

Obviously, now, the beach has biases against certain people and so it treats them differently. If an old doomsayer walks near, it will immediately send a turd floating by to be the subject of a later indignant TV forum rant against The Great Satan: City Hall. City Hall is always wasting and stealing their flyspeck of tax paid.

JSixpack, on 2014-05-17 17:57:06

16 minutes ago, JSixpack said:

They do for me. Joked around just yesterday w/ a cashier at Lotus. :) So this just illustrates why it's better not to come to Pattaya with a puckered sphincter or develop one upon arrival. Soon as Pattaya detects that puckering, it figures you just don't have what it takes be no hansum man ever.

So with your best interests at heart, it starts working to help you reach ASAP the terminal "last nail in the coffin" and "killed the goose" gibbering stage and bugger off. Whassat mean? It's worse than no smiling. Cashiers also shortchange you without even a smile; mechanics leave lug nuts off your wheels; dentists extract the wrong teeth; parking attendants suddenly appear in vacant lots; barbers give you white sidewalls; ladies all have unexpected appendages; baht bus drivers charge you 20 baht; Air Asia won't refund your money; ISPs block and throttle your internet; ATMs swallow your cards; loud music or karaoke plays nearby so you can't sleep; the pumping station by the entrance to Walking Street stinks at you. And your eyesight! The shops at CentralFestival seem always empty. Bars are filled with those golden eggs-laying geese, but you can't see 'em!

Yeah, everything just piles on to make your life as miserable as possible. Oh, torture without end. Oh, whingeing, cynical, fatuous posts without end.

Now that you know what's going on, you know what to do. Resistance against Pattaya is futile.

Obviously, now, the beach has biases against certain people and so it treats them differently. If an old doomsayer walks near, it will immediately send a turd floating by to be the subject of a later indignant TV forum rant against The Great Satan: City Hall. City Hall is always wasting and stealing their flyspeck of tax paid.

JSixpack, on 2014-05-17 17:57:06

Cheers from my fave barstool and the black-haired angels surrounding! :)

and you typed all this while these angels surrounding you at that bar?

Just now, pattayadude said:

Cheers from my fave barstool and the black-haired angels surrounding! :)

and you typed all this while these angels surrounding you at that bar?

It's where I do all my best work, man! :)

On Monday, November 21, 2016 at 9:28 PM, Anthony5 said:

When Kiss food closes will indicate that Pattaya has gone upper class and the lowlifes have left.

Depends on who's defining the terms. Some would use opposite connotations.

As Kiss achieved its initial success in the 90s, it could only have been owing to the patronage of what our doomsters regard as THE quality tourists, i.e., the "naughty mongers," the economic powerhouses behind Pattaya's now-vanished prosperity, the great jobs creators, the golden eggs layers.

Currently, as always, Kiss patrons, except for the bargirls in tow, seem to speak some dialect of English or a European language. But as more and more of this quality are "put off" by Pattaya's Absolute Spiral Downward and move to Cambodia, what sort will be left to replace them?

The low class and getting lower tourists. Both domestic and foreign.

--morrobay, December 29, 2015

Exactly. Chinese, Thais, Indians, Arabs, Russians! We all know they can't afford to eat at Kiss, and Kiss certainly can't lower its standards to meet to meet the low tastes of this low class (we're very class conscious) anyway. Therefore, sad to say, it's just gon' be boarded up like all the rest. RIP, Kiss. Loved them runny eggs.

On ‎20‎.‎11‎.‎2016 at 6:23 PM, Awohalitsiktoli said:

If we assume that somebody is dumping trash at sea, then the list of suspects narrows.

Years ago when I used to go to Samui, I went for a walk every day on the beach with a bag and picked up rubbish. Most was industrial waste like the rubber sheets with flip flop soles cut out. Some was obviously from fishing boats.

23 hours ago, NanLaew said:

Based on that video clip and my experience about 4 times a day at the Buakhao/Lengkee/Diana 'crossroads', I reckon Pattaya City Hall are doing a brilliant job and well on the way to emulating the organized mayhem that prevails in Vietnam. However, Thai drivers (and most foreign ones that have been around the block) avoid using the horn to the extent they do in Vietnam for which I for one, am eternally grateful.

I watched the clip, and noticed one important thing, pedestrians walking, not running, across the intersection. This was possible because all the drivers go SLOWLY and avoid each other. Seems far more sane than Pattaya where the drivers go so fast that one has to RUN to get across unharmed.

Would it work in LOS, where it seems that many drivers think they have a right to run pedestrians down for daring to walk on THEIR roads?

21 minutes ago, thaibeachlovers said:

I watched the clip, and noticed one important thing, pedestrians walking, not running, across the intersection. This was possible because all the drivers go SLOWLY and avoid each other. Seems far more sane than Pattaya where the drivers go so fast that one has to RUN to get across unharmed.

Would it work in LOS, where it seems that many drivers think they have a right to run pedestrians down for daring to walk on THEIR roads?

Very true and no, it would not work. Despite having easily 5 times a many bikes as Thailand, their sheer volume means that their speed is much less; there's just not enough space for some hoon to crack the twist throttle and do a zig-zag in and out of the gaps. Thus walking across even the busiest intersection is much easier as long as you don't look around, hesitate, stop or suddenly change direction; which are the basic rules to live by when crossing the road in LOS.

Archived