Pattaya going downhill!

pepi2005

7 minutes ago, newnative said:

What's new is Pattaya Beach does not normally look like your photo from 2008.  Pipe breakings aside, it's pretty clean these days--at least the parts I observe from around Northshore to Central Festival.

The difference is that not much beach exists compared to the past. Much of it washed away by floods every time it rains. As the remaining beach is covered with seats etc not much dirty beach to see. Also the vendors would probably clean their areas.

Long ago, the council even thought about investing in a beach cleaning machine. Don't know what happened to that.

• Replies 784
  • Created
  • Last Reply
2 hours ago, pattayadude said:

There's just nothing more satisfying here than repeating the same old shopworn concerns to make them just a little more shopworn--for the sake of mere repetition. Chanting, especially when performed en masse with one's fellow choristers, brings such comfort to the troubled soul. And we love gettin' out the photo album, too. :)

amnesia.jpg

Cheers! :)

2 hours ago, pattayadude said:

beach1.jpg

flood1.jpg

flood2.jpg

rats.jpg

rats2.jpg

sewer1.JPG

trash2.JPG

1 hour ago, pattayadude said:

yes that's a 2008 photo...

and the attached is May 2016...

Nothing new...

trash1.JPG

As far as I can see it's twice the same picture, so unless the 2008 picture was taken 8 years in the future...............

2 minutes ago, Awohalitsiktoli said:

We had a very similar scene on Jomtien Beach a week or so ago.  The beach vendors clean it up each day, or at least try to.   IMHO, the source of the trash should be investigated. 

Trouble is there is 67 million suspects at-large

4 minutes ago, pattayalover said:

if you don't like Pattaya you can still go to the USA. Trump is waiting for your tax money. lol

US citizens pay taxes no matter where they live.  But, back on topic, yes, Pattaya is going downhill.  And yes, there are still positive things about the place.  I think the negatives have outweighed the positives since the end of the 90s (very end).

So why don't all the whingers who say Pattaya is going downhill just get up and go somewhere else? Probably because they would be whinging an whining wherever they are!

I'm in Pattaya now and enjoying it as much as I ever have over the last 17 years. Yeah the traffic, infrastructure and beach could certainly be improved but the positives far outweigh the negatives. Excellent accommodation, good food and beer all at very reasonable prices and there are heaps of expats who are happy living here and lead good lives. If there's better value elsewhere then why aren't the whiners there?

20 minutes ago, Flanno said:

So why don't all the whingers who say Pattaya is going downhill just get up and go somewhere else? Probably because they would be whinging an whining wherever they are!

I'm in Pattaya now and enjoying it as much as I ever have over the last 17 years. Yeah the traffic, infrastructure and beach could certainly be improved but the positives far outweigh the negatives. Excellent accommodation, good food and beer all at very reasonable prices and there are heaps of expats who are happy living here and lead good lives. If there's better value elsewhere then why aren't the whiners there?

I think you will find most of the whinging about Pattaya comes from people who dont live here. I dont know why.

I live here and enjoy it. Away from walking st its the same as any other place in Thailand.

20 minutes ago, Flanno said:

What is a "whinger?"  I do know people who made the mistake of putting almost all of their money in real estate and now find it impossible to move (can't sell and get out as there are few buyers).  Others own businesses here and are finding it very hard to sell and get out (no buyers).  Others are attached to a Thai woman and her family and are having a hard time finding a better option, even though they want out.  Others are not rich and cannot afford to move.  Others have yet to discover a better option, even  though they hate the place.  Still others have medical issues and the good medical situation in Thailand keeps them here.  Others are working for large, international corporations/organizations and have yet to be transferred out of Thailand.    There are probably a lot more reasons for not moving.   It is not always a simple choice.   I guarantee you that if Vietnam or Cambodia eventually manage to create cities that are similar to Pattaya-Jomtien, loads of expats will leave.

2 minutes ago, Peterw42 said:

I think you will find most of the whinging about Pattaya comes from people who dont live here. I dont know why.

I live here and enjoy it. Away from walking st its the same as any other place in Thailand.

Pattaya is very different from any other place I have lived in Thailand.

14 hours ago, Awohalitsiktoli said:

What is a "whinger?"  I do know people who made the mistake of putting almost all of their money in real estate and now find it impossible to move (can't sell and get out as there are few buyers).  Others own businesses here and are finding it very hard to sell and get out (no buyers).  Others are attached to a Thai woman and her family and are having a hard time finding a better option, even though they want out.  Others are not rich and cannot afford to move.  Others have yet to discover a better option, even  though they hate the place.  Still others have medical issues and the good medical situation in Thailand keeps them here.  Others are working for large, international corporations/organizations and have yet to be transferred out of Thailand.    There are probably a lot more reasons for not moving.   It is not always a simple choice.   I guarantee you that if Vietnam or Cambodia eventually manage to create cities that are similar to Pattaya-Jomtien, loads of expats will leave.

So in a nutshell, those that find themselves' trapped' in a city they despise are the victims of their own choices poor or otherwise and nothing at all to do with Pattaya specifically or Thailand generally.

Cambodia and Vietnam already have beach-side hideaways that have been siphoning off the broke and disillusioned less ardent for quite a while now. But loads more just go to the Philippines.

14 hours ago, Awohalitsiktoli said:

Thank goodness someone is offering a guarantee. It makes all the difference.

18 hours ago, Anthony5 said:

As far as I can see it's twice the same picture, so unless the 2008 picture was taken 8 years in the future...............

You are wrong!.

1st photo(beach photo facing North Pattaya/ Wongamat)) is from a news article dated 2008.

the 2 photos that are same is from a news article dated 2016(Waterfront condo in background.there was no waterfront condo in 2008)

Here is the link:

http://www.pattayamail.com/news/broken-sewer-pipe-spews-garbage-across-south-pattaya-beach-58625

I divided the article into 2 screenshot photos.

Here is another screenshot without dividing:

city workers.JPG

12 minutes ago, pattayadude said:

You are wrong!.

1st photo(beach photo facing North Pattaya/ Wongamat)) is from a news article dated 2008.

the 2 photos that are same is from a news article dated 2016(Waterfront condo in background.there was no waterfront condo in 2008)

Here is the link:

http://www.pattayamail.com/news/broken-sewer-pipe-spews-garbage-across-south-pattaya-beach-58625

I divided the article into 2 screenshot photos.

Here is another screenshot without dividing:

city workers.JPG

So they took 8 years apart twice the same picture, with the same people in the exact same position, right?

You want to claim the the following 2 pictures were taken at different times?By the way, the article isn't from 2008, but clearly says 2012

Photo 2012.JPG

Photo 2016.JPG

1 hour ago, NanLaew said:

So in a nutshell, those that find themselves' trapped' in a city they despise are the victims of their own choices poor or otherwise and nothing at all to do with Pattaya specifically or Thailand generally.

Cambodia and Vietnam already have beach-side hideaways that have been siphoning off the broke and disillusioned less ardent for quite a while now. But loads more just go to the Philippines.

Of course the choices people make impact their lives, but it is wrong to intimate that people who think Pattaya-Jomtien is going downhill do so for reasons that have nothing to do with Pattaya-Jomtien.  I know dozens of former long-term residents of Thailand who have relocated to the Philippines (many say that the people there are more friendly).   IMHO, neither Cambodia nor Viet Nam have coastal cities that are similar to Pattaya-Jomtien was during its uphill phase (the great years in the 80s and 90s).   Sihanoukville is certainly a city with great potential.  Maybe, with some positive development, it will eventually be a genuine alternative to the madness here.   Dream on if you think everything is wonderful here; it is not!  Dream on if you think the best years are now (that is laughable).  Having said that, there are still positive things here.  I simply do not like the downward spiral the city is in.   The negatives are outweighing the positives for many people here, especially those who have been here a long time and have witnessed the changes. 

1 hour ago, Anthony5 said:

So they took 8 years apart twice the same picture, with the same people in the exact same position, right?

You want to claim the the following 2 pictures were taken at different times?By the way, the article isn't from 2008, but clearly says 2012

Photo 2012.JPG

Photo 2016.JPG

yeah..have another chang :)

12 minutes ago, newnative said:

There were 2 completely different beach photos originally posted. One, from 2008, has no people in it and looks north. The other, from 2012, looks south. 

But we are now 2016, isn't it? And the picture posted in the 2016 article is the exact same as the one in the 2012 article.

The claim was that as of the time of posting nothing had changed, but 4 year old pictures were used to support that claim.

Right, I agree.  If you're going to bash Pattaya at least use a current photo taken on a normal day.  I don't think the 2008 photo accurately reflects how Pattaya Beach looks today trash-wise--at least the beach area that I observe from around Northshore to Central Festival.  Maybe other areas that I don't go to are covered with trash but this area of beach is pretty clean.

14 minutes ago, Anthony5 said:

But we are now 2016, isn't it? And the picture posted in the 2016 article is the exact same as the one in the 2012 article.

The claim was that as of the time of posting nothing had changed, but 4 year old pictures were used to support that claim.

2012 article "Pattaya to seek 885M......." does NOT/did not come with a photo.Period.

sewer1.JPG

The photo/s belong to the 2016 article "Broken sewer pipe....." below.(read the date)

why is this so hard to get??

city workers.JPG

7 minutes ago, newnative said:

Right, I agree.  If you're going to bash Pattaya at least use a current photo taken on a normal day.  I don't think the 2008 photo accurately reflects how Pattaya Beach looks today trash-wise--at least the beach area that I observe from around Northshore to Central Festival.  Maybe other areas that I don't go to are covered with trash but this area of beach is pretty clean.

The original post is about " Pattaya going downhill"

A city doesn't go downhill in a few months.

I was trying to illustrate the ongoing process of "going down" since 2008.

Not bashing dude.reality!

28 minutes ago, Anthony5 said:

look.for you it's going up up up.that's cool but for me it isn't.simple! end of story

If you were trying to illustrate the 'ongoing process' of Pattaya going downhill by using beach cleanliness as an example, you should have posted a trash-filled beach photo of Pattaya Beach on a NORMAL day in 2008 contrasted with a current photo on a normal day that shows the beach today even MORE trash-filled than 2008--hence, going downhill.  If the beach is equally dirty today, we aren't going downhill, we are in the same state.  Cleaner today--heading uphill.  But, of course, only regarding the cleanliness of one beach.  Not really decisive when deciding if the city as a whole is going uphill or down.

12 minutes ago, newnative said:

If you were trying to illustrate the 'ongoing process' of Pattaya going downhill by using beach cleanliness as an example, you should have posted a trash-filled beach photo of Pattaya Beach on a NORMAL day in 2008 contrasted with a current photo on a normal day that shows the beach today even MORE trash-filled than 2008--hence, going downhill.  If the beach is equally dirty today, we aren't going downhill, we are in the same state.  Cleaner today--heading uphill.  But, of course, only regarding the cleanliness of one beach.  Not really decisive when deciding if the city as a whole is going uphill or down.

you're a funny guy! :biggrin:

If the beach is equally dirty today, we aren't going downhill, we are in the same state.  Cleaner today--heading uphill.

I love this one! :cheesy:

Not really decisive when deciding if the city as a whole is going uphill or down.

if the city in question is called Pattaya Beach...sure it is LOL!

1 hour ago, newnative said:

Don't hate me 'cause I'm beautiful but the name of the city isn't Pattaya BEACH.   It's just Pattaya--no 'beach' in the Pattaya sign. 

But you see it all rests on perception. He's perceived "Beach" in the name; therefore, it IS in the name and proves an important point. A photo from 2008 is exactly the same as an imaginary photo from 2016; therefore, there's been no change! :cheesy: Classic.

On Sunday, November 20, 2016 at 2:10 PM, pattayadude said:

Yes photos do tell the truth!

It's the posters who lie.

20 hours ago, Awohalitsiktoli said:

What is a "whinger?"

:cheesy:

I do know people who . . .

And don't know any other, which kinda figures, right? Yet the vast majority of residents, full and part-time here, thousands, aren't among those whom you know. In the history of TVF there have ever only been few posters expressing their burning desire to leave. For every one who does, a thousand Brits are dreaming in their council estates about how they could move here permanently.

Many do love whinging, however, and would do so wherever. If it weren't so off-topic I'd paste in a few whinges from expats in Portugal. Lots of whinging about Cambodia, VN, and PI, as you'll see if read in the other subforums. Naturally, the expats I know here are pretty well satisfied with Pattaya and Thailand. :)

I guarantee you that if Vietnam or Cambodia eventually manage to create cities that are similar to Pattaya-Jomtien, loads of expats will leave.

Well, no, if they were similar to Pattaya-Jomtien our whingers would bleat the same whinges as they do about Pattaya-Jomtien. For example, you need to take a look at the VN idea of traffic management to appreciate the job our much-maligned City Hall has done:

And yes, it exists even in smaller towns. Try driving or riding around in the beach town of Vung Tau; try getting yourself out alive for a "relaxing" trip up the coast.

Archived