EBAY "Global Shipping Program" from the US - Reliable?

roban

I need some electronic spare parts and thought to order them via EBAY "Global Shipping Program" from the US.

Has somebody used this service recently?

Are there any issues to expect with Thai customs or post?

Would you recommend it?

Thanks in advance

Edited by roban

• 1 year later...

I've used it from the UK, at the time UPS had been accused of double-dipping for the duty, but my stuff arrived with no extra to pay.

Of course there was no indication of the actual duty paid and no refund of any extra.

Most US sellers will only ship via the GSP which adds significantly to the cost of the item. I also had to pay duty both times I used it, something I've never done when sent by other means. Personally, I hate it and will never buy from a seller who uses it. I believe it is now being used by UK sellers as well.

Edited by giddyup

6 minutes ago, Crossy said:

Who was the courier, and when did this occur?

The act has (apparently) been cleaned up, but of course, once bitten ...

Both times I had a notice left by the postman that it was to be collected from the post office and duty would need to be paid. Admittedly the duty wasn't that high, around 500 baht on a watch that cost $150, plus about $40 for the shipping. I have a feeling that I may have paid the duty up front when I bought another watch on Ebay, it was actually added to the purchase price, even though it was a secondhand watch. This happened about 5 years ago, so my memory is a bit hazy. What has been cleaned up?

Edited by giddyup

3 hours ago, giddyup said:

Both times I had a notice left by the postman that it was to be collected from the post office and duty would need to be paid. Admittedly the duty wasn't that high, around 500 baht on a watch that cost $150, plus about $40 for the shipping. I have a feeling that I may have paid the duty up front when I bought another watch on Ebay, it was actually added to the purchase price, even though it was a secondhand watch. This happened about 5 years ago, so my memory is a bit hazy. What has been cleaned up?

They say that its cleaned up now in the sense that there's no more double dipping on duty.

So you pay only what you see when you check out. And nothing more.

Some people argue that its better to not pay duty/customs/taxes upfront and use regular post (avoid couriers) and hope there's no duty/tax/customs at all.

But i also heard that sometimes they will hold your package hostage and charge more than the entire package for vat/duty whatever..that they make up numbers and fees seemingly out of thin air... Thats why i think this global thing paying upfront knowing what i will pay sounds attractive..

But if they add fees on top then its bad.... 

I think i will take my chances with ebay global.. Will report back here...

I've just used them. 

On the plus side, they are very good at updating you with the status of your order.

On the minus side, my package got held up in customs which is exactly what I was trying to avoid with this whole program.  It seems that it is a restricted item so I have to register as an importer.  So I have the choice of either mailing my passport to the logistics provider so they can register for me (not going to happen) or I can go to a customs office in person and register myself.  The item is worth about 250 USD.  I'm still considering whether it will be worth my time to possibly stand in line at a government office for hours.

Edit: they were nice enough to tell me that there would be no additional charges.

Edited by fishbrando

3 hours ago, fishbrando said:

I've just used them. 

On the plus side, they are very good at updating you with the status of your order.

On the minus side, my package got held up in customs which is exactly what I was trying to avoid with this whole program.  It seems that it is a restricted item so I have to register as an importer.  So I have the choice of either mailing my passport to the logistics provider so they can register for me (not going to happen) or I can go to a customs office in person and register myself.  The item is worth about 250 USD.  I'm still considering whether it will be worth my time to possibly stand in line at a government office for hours.

Edit: they were nice enough to tell me that there would be no additional charges.

May i ask what type of item it is? Im thinking about ordering a diy home alarm system. Wonder if that is restricted as well.

Update on my situation:

I hadn't yet replied to the logistics provider yet so apparently they decided to just ship out my package to me.  I've already received it and I didn't have to do anything. 

I'm glad I got it because I was considering making a trip to the customs office today.  

Sometimes it pays to procrastinate!

Edited by fishbrando