Thai govt accused of exploiting bombings for political ends 

webfact

• Replies 86
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

16 minutes ago, williamgeorgeallen said:

what planet are you living on? you must be joking. the cops are reds. thaksin himself is a high ranking police officer who still holds his rank despite being a fugitive. chief of police wont revoke it because they are so buddy buddy. seriously, 4400 posts and you dont seem to have any idea what is happening in this country.  

if you want to live in a fantasy world of reds vs yellows you go ahead!  

those of us who know something and understand NONE of this is about Thaksin, Rice or Big Foot will continue to observe and wait

Edited by LannaGuy

well that all sounds very silly. thats exactly what this is about. 2 political parties and their power struggle. the yellows are  People's Alliance for Democracy (PAD) and the reds are the  People's Power Party (PPP)  this is the real word for those of us who live in thailand not just some abstract internet discussion.

seriously if you dont know about this then you have to go do some serious research so you can join this discussion in a constructive way.

8 hours ago, Eric Loh said:

Really no motive for the UDD and even the red shirts. What would a few bombs do for them except more harassment, control, unlawful arrest and more misery. That few incidents will not change the government. To force the illegal government to step down, they will do the things they know best that is to march to Bangkok and occupy the city with their followers and there really nothing the army can do about it. Well except to shot them as in most times when threatened and that will be the straw that breaks the camel back and the people will raise against the military.

The bomb device and the opus operandi points to the Southern insurgents. Hard to ignore the police forensic. The Southern provinces are easy reach by the insurgents and Hua Hin was a symbolic attack. They could be aided by some anti junta radicals.    

Police forensics are not the best in the world either. Just think back to Kho Tao as an example.

It is impossible to stop and search every vehicle on the roads of Thailand to look for IEDs  so the police and the army have to rely on intelligence sources which down in the South may not be reliable. As you say it is easy to get from the southern provinces up to BKK and from there the whole of Thailand is open to them.

As well as anti junta radicals there is also the possibility of pro junta radicals as well. Unfortunately IMO there is not enough solid evidence yet to point a finger at any side though some of the unexploded devices are allegedly the same as those from the south. That is quite possible as much information on how to make IEDs is available from the internet if you know where to look.

1 hour ago, williamgeorgeallen said:

well that all sounds very silly. thats exactly what this is about. 2 political parties and their power struggle. the yellows are  People's Alliance for Democracy (PAD) and the reds are the  People's Power Party (PPP)  this is the real word for those of us who live in thailand not just some abstract internet discussion.

seriously if you dont know about this then you have to go do some serious research so you can join this discussion in a constructive way.

My knowledge is, admittedly, a bit sketchy, so I did some research....

image.png

2 hours ago, williamgeorgeallen said:

it's not about either group it's about .................... and if you don't 'get' that then you either don't live here or just eat up the propaganda the Junta feeds you and the rest of Thailand

1 hour ago, farcanell said:

My knowledge is, admittedly, a bit sketchy, so I did some research....

image.png

Yup no doubt he believes in Yeti's, Elvis is alive and the Loch Ness Monster as he actually believes all this is about the reds and yellows   :cheesy:

6 hours ago, LannaGuy said:

it's not about either group it's about .................... and if you don't 'get' that then you either don't live here or just eat up the propaganda the Junta feeds you and the rest of Thailand

this coup is no different from the last one or the 20 before that. just men struggling for power and money. nothing to do with a certain figure head, who has no real political power,  coming to the end of his life. nothing to do with yetis either. (<deleted>?)

Edited by williamgeorgeallen

3 hours ago, williamgeorgeallen said:

this coup is no different from the last one or the 20 before that. just men struggling for power and money. nothing to do with a certain figure head, who has no real political power,  coming to the end of his life. nothing to do with yetis either. (<deleted>?)

wrong

5 minutes ago, williamgeorgeallen said:

no point joining this discussion unless you are going to add what you believe is going on. would be interesting to hear your opinions.

It is against TVF rules and many have been banned for doing so. TVF is heavily censored and moderated as they want to keep their business alive too so there are things we cannot discuss here.

21 hours ago, seajae said:

bet you need a lot of tin foil hats where you are with this sort of conspiracy garbage, you obviously have no idea how a thai mind works, the vote effectively shut the ptp/red/thaksin out of being elected/put back in power plus is eliminating all their chances of gaining through corruption again, then of course they have removed the chance of thaksin ever getting a pardon. All these things would blow a fuse in every red there is so they would not hesitate to kill and mame as they have done so often before to get their jollies and show everyone their manhood by killing innocents. The last thing the general needs is for the tourists to dry up which is what these bombs have a chance of doing but then the truth is always hard for tin foil hat people to accept

Well, that may have been the view of some Thais, the ones with money and influence, but it certainly doesn't seem to be the view of the majority of Thais imho. Wait and see when they have a chance to vote for a Thaksin-sponsored party again. Many Thais are pissed off that this government and their sponsors are determined to get Thaksin out of politics on the assumption that once he cannot influence the NE population, they'll get all sensible again and love the kleptocvracy like they used to in the golden days of Thailand/Siam/whatever -  about 400 years ago, which is where Mickey and Minnie want to lead Thailand.

Personally I don't think it'll happen. The powers that be have lost the confidence of the majority of voters in my estimation. But, as I say, we'll see. The above post reflects the way the feudal barons want things to be. But I think a scrap of intelligent thought and a momentary separation from the Thai reality distortion zone and the amaat hive-mind would show just how far from rational it has strayed. Wishful thinking at it's very finest. Thailand will, imho, try to close it's doors to everyone they can't control over the next few years. Got to keep the strain pure. The world needs more stupidity apparently.

Winnie

Edited by Winniedapu

22 hours ago, williamgeorgeallen said:

thats just the public facade, we arent allowed to talk about the real world in Thailand

14 hours ago, williamgeorgeallen said:

no political power? the figurehead just happens to be head of the Thai army, you know, the army that keeps doing the coups. coincidence?

11 hours ago, phycokiller said:

no political power? the figurehead just happens to be head of the Thai army, you know, the army that keeps doing the coups. coincidence?

from what i have read the army acts independently from the king. the army executed the last coup and then went on to ask for endorsement from the king.

On 24 May 2014, the NCPO said King Bhumibol Adulyadej had acknowledged the coup, but stopped short of describing the response as an endorsement.[95] However, on 26 May 2014 the king formally appointed General Prayut to run the country. In Thailand the monarchy is highly respected and royal endorsement was seen as legitimation of the takeover.[96]

the definition of figurehead seems to fit in this case.

In politics, a figurehead is a person who holds de jure (in name or by law) an important title or office (often supremely powerful), yet de facto (in reality) executes little actual power. The metaphor derives from the carved figurehead at the prow of a sailing ship.

13 hours ago, phycokiller said:

Indeed. The 'Royal' Thai Police and the 'Royal' Thai Army, the two major sources of repression and corruption. Have been for decades.

Slowly, bit by bit, the veil hiding the reality of these things is being drawn back, and many people, aghast at first and then disgusted, are learning what has been hidden from the Thai people under cover of myth and self-serving propaganda for so long.

History will not be at all kind (and neither should it be, nor should the Thai people) to those who have prevented the non-ruling-class Thais from developing and reaching their potential as a people, in order solely to achieve their own private wet-dream of some Shangri-La-like  society. It's disgraceful what they have been allowed to do for decades by the international community, particularly the USA, which has been, and still is, heavily complicit in developing this Frankenstein's monster state for it's own benefit and profit.

Winnie

Edited by Winniedapu

13 hours ago, phycokiller said:

thats just the public facade, we arent allowed to talk about the real world in Thailand

i have been trying to find out how this coup is different from the last 20 coups but there does not seem to be anything to suggest there is, other than this time the army seems to be digging in for the long term. of course i have heard this time it is to facilitate the smooth transfer of the monarchy but from what i have read i cant find any real proof of this.

1 minute ago, williamgeorgeallen said:

i have been trying to find out how this coup is different from the last 20 coups but there does not seem to be anything to suggest there is, other than this time the army seems to be digging in for the long term. of course i have heard this time it is to facilitate the smooth transfer of the monarchy but from what i have read i cant find any real proof of this.

There is no proof, this one is just like the past 20-odd coups, it is intended to enforce obedience to those at the top of the tree, with the possible addition (this time) of uprooting the populist regime that encouraged Thais to devel;op and prosper. Which can't be allowed to interfere with the objective of developing a poor agrarian society that was spiritually 'advanced' and in which people were kept simple but happy so that those at the top of the tree would be guaranteed wealt and riches by having a willing and subservient inexhaustible supply of cheap workers. Thaksin flushed all that down the toilet so the kleptocracy wanted to flush Thaksin down the same toilet and perpetuate the wet-dream.

It's no more complicated that that, in my opinion.

Winnie

30 minutes ago, williamgeorgeallen said:

from what i have read the army acts independently from the king. the army executed the last coup and then went on to ask for endorsement from the king.

On 24 May 2014, the NCPO said King Bhumibol Adulyadej had acknowledged the coup, but stopped short of describing the response as an endorsement.[95] However, on 26 May 2014 the king formally appointed General Prayut to run the country. In Thailand the monarchy is highly respected and royal endorsement was seen as legitimation of the takeover.[96]

the definition of figurehead seems to fit in this case.

In politics, a figurehead is a person who holds de jure (in name or by law) an important title or office (often supremely powerful), yet de facto (in reality) executes little actual power. The metaphor derives from the carved figurehead at the prow of a sailing ship.

As per the definition of a constitutional monarchy.

15 minutes ago, Winniedapu said:

There is no proof, this one is just like the past 20-odd coups, it is intended to enforce obedience to those at the top of the tree, with the possible addition (this time) of uprooting the populist regime that encouraged Thais to devel;op and prosper. Which can't be allowed to interfere with the objective of developing a poor agrarian society that was spiritually 'advanced' and in which people were kept simple but happy so that those at the top of the tree would be guaranteed wealt and riches by having a willing and subservient inexhaustible supply of cheap workers. Thaksin flushed all that down the toilet so the kleptocracy wanted to flush Thaksin down the same toilet and perpetuate the wet-dream.

It's no more complicated that that, in my opinion.

Winnie

Completely ignoring that the Thai democratic system was fundamentally flawed and ripe for abuse. And that a criminal element was exploiting those flaws to gain power and enrich themselves.

1 hour ago, williamgeorgeallen said:

http://asia.nikkei.com/Viewpoints/Viewpoints/Matthew-Wheeler-Thailand-struggles-to-break-out-of-the-cycle-of-unrest

Edited by LannaGuy