Rude tuk-tuk driver gives himself up - apologizes for damaging the image of tourism in Chiang Mai

webfact

Rude tuk-tuk driver gives himself up - apologizes for damaging the image of tourism in Chiang Mai

a1.jpg

Image: Daily News

CHIANG MAI: -- A rude tuk-tuk driver in Chiang Mai caught on video raising his foot and showing his middle finger has turned himself in to police.

He has been charged with negligent driving, not having a license and cautioned about his disrespectful behavior, reported Daily News.

He was named as Rungrit Jinareuan (or Ball) a native of San Sai district of the northern town.

He told police that he had picked up two passengers from the bus station and was taking them to the Cozy Inn in downtown Chiang Mai. He was turning off and indicating when a private car got a bit close and a verbal argument broke out between the two drivers.

As the car drove off Rungrit raised his foot in anger and showed his middle finger. He didn't realize he was being filmed and that the footage would soon be all over social media.

He was roundly condemned - raising the foot in Thai culture is one of the rudest gestures imaginable.

Rungrit apologized for damaging the image of tourism in Chiang Mai and said that all drivers should show respect and be polite to passengers and road users.

But the matter did not end there - police charged him with negligence and found also that he did not have a license.

Source: Daily News

tvn_logo.jpg
-- © Copyright Thai Visa News 2016-08-16

Absolutely no mention of tourists -- only unspecified passengers, and if there were any who came from anywhere but Thailand, they'd probably just laugh at the site of an irate tuk-tuk driver showing the bottom of his foot, flipping the bird, and ranting on. That stuff isn't going to hurt tourism -- killing too many tourists on the roads by doing nothing about hopped up, unqualified, overworked, and stupidly aggressive van and bus drivers will. Letting mechanically unfit vehicles on the roads doesn't help either. Address that stuff boys! Make the news by doing something that will actually save lives -- not frivolous little gestures like this.  

8 minutes ago, Inn Between said:

killing too many tourists on the roads by doing nothing about hopped up, unqualified, overworked, and stupidly aggressive van and bus drivers will. Letting mechanically unfit vehicles on the roads doesn't help either. Address that stuff boys! Make the news by doing something that will actually save lives -- not frivolous little gestures like this.  

I am sure your (correct) observations have been noted, taken en board and susequently filled in the "too hard" box.

As is the norm.

They ,the Police seem more concerned that he raised his foot,

than driving tourists and others around,while having no driving

license,and negligent driving,I suspect he will be back on the 

road again sooner than later.whoever rented him the TuK Tuk

needs to take some responsibility for not checking he had a license, 

or maybe they did and did not care.

regards worgeordie

2 hours ago, Inn Between said:

Absolutely no mention of tourists -- only unspecified passengers, and if there were any who came from anywhere but Thailand, they'd probably just laugh at the site of an irate tuk-tuk driver showing the bottom of his foot, flipping the bird, and ranting on. That stuff isn't going to hurt tourism -- killing too many tourists on the roads by doing nothing about hopped up, unqualified, overworked, and stupidly aggressive van and bus drivers will. Letting mechanically unfit vehicles on the roads doesn't help either. Address that stuff boys! Make the news by doing something that will actually save lives -- not frivolous little gestures like this.  

I agree. But the police with their laziness and arrogance think this sort of stuff makes them to appear in a good light.

Self righteous <deleted> Not even newsworthy.

4 hours ago, Inn Between said:

I like that Inn Between. ....frivolous little gesture from the old bill after a frivolous little gesture from someone with out a licence who was unlawfully driving a tuk-tuk with one hand on the bars and the other flipping the bird.   I winder if this news has gone viral outside LoS.

6 hours ago, WinnieTheKhwai said:

...and he was back in his tuktuk the same afternoon.

You're probably right...

Ball is no doubt back on the road again.

But will he be the same man after the humiliation of a public apology?  You know how Thais are. A traumatic psychological experience like that could produce a monster.

It brings to mind the ending of the famous old limerick:

...and the result was most horrid,

all balls and no forehead,

with a long flowing yellow goatee.

5 hours ago, worgeordie said:

They ,the Police seem more concerned that he raised his foot,

than driving tourists and others around,while having no driving

license,and negligent driving,I suspect he will be back on the 

road again sooner than later.whoever rented him the TuK Tuk

needs to take some responsibility for not checking he had a license, 

or maybe they did and did not care.

regards worgeordie

Why hasn't the uploader been bought in for re education.

So its not just the un-suspecting tourist heading out to tiger kingdom thats getting stopped for no licence? I think the Lanna Golf course posse is a very nice little earner for the BiB, and the amount of tourists I see stopped there is quite amazing.

If anything thats gotta put a dent on tourism.  Sure they are breaking the law for not having a licence but at least they arent running the red lights.  Maybe the rental places should advise these riders to go via canal road to bypass this money gathering scheme.

• 3 weeks later...

I wish everyone who does so would stop casting cynical, snide and sarcastic comments towards the BiB and the many law breaking Thais.

... and those who have lost all hope of a perfect world should stop saying " it's never changed and never will"

PLEASE! Do something in the positive mode.

Start clamouring and seek support for an action that will bring instantaneous positive change ; Euthanizing the guilty within 7 days of being found guilty!

There are many countries which levy severe consequences such as mutilation but I think simple euthanasia would be most expedient and effective.