Police chief says motive behind Hua Hin bombs still unclear

webfact

Police chief says motive behind Hua Hin bombs still unclear

PRACHUAP KHIRI KHAN, 16 August 2016 (NNT) - The Royal Thai Police chief has yet to conclude the motive behind explosions in the tourist city of Hua Hin as more evidence is still needed. 

Police Chief Pol. Gen. Chaktip Chaijinda traveled to Hua Hin, Prachuap Khiri Khan, to follow up on the investigation after he had been instructed by Prime Minister Prayut Chan-o-cha and Defense Minister General Prawit Wongsuwan to monitor the investigation closely. 

He was informed during his meeting with local officials of the progress of the investigation. However, the police chief said it is still too early to conclude why the attack was carried out as police officers are still trying to collect more evidence. 

The police are expected to seek arrest warrants once it has become clear who orchestrated the explosions. Pol. Gen. Chaktip also assured local people and tourists of their safety while urging them to return to their normal lives.

nnt_logo.jpg
-- nnt 2016-08-16

So the two big military men are themselves giving instructions and directions in this investigation. OK, everyone - no need to read any further posts on this topic: the truth will never be revealed if those two big guns are directing operations. Oh, by the way, they are calling it 'Operation Cover-up', so I am told ...

Logical .....it's on Mother's Day , at a venue associated with certain people in elite ranks...straight after a referendum that was not allowed fair debate.....

Who ...we are not sure....but why? 

We can speculate 

Show the world and embarrass the authorities with sheer scale and success.....show they can't protect you here .

Hurt tourism ...create a sense that "They ""are not in control...that ""they ""can be attacked on even a particular day that's special.
Fear as further blasts showed it wasn't isolated ...couldn't be dismissed 
( as they try hard to play it down  now)
And lastly by its success a warning it's just the beginning and Thai authorities can not protect you and you've been warned its not safe.
Next time I think bigger targets and more deaths will ruin the industry.
So decide for yourself if its nothing (13 bombs ) or a co ordinated terror attack....telling tourists that people within Thailand seek to cause this military government problems?

Edited by Plutojames88

4 hours ago, Plutojames88 said:

Logical .....it's on Mother's Day , at a venue associated with certain people in elite ranks...straight after a referendum that was not allowed fair debate.....

Who ...we are not sure....but why? 

We can speculate 

Show the world and embarrass the authorities with sheer scale and success.....show they can't protect you here .

Hurt tourism ...create a sense that "They ""are not in control...that ""they ""can be attacked on even a particular day that's special.
Fear as further blasts showed it wasn't isolated ...couldn't be dismissed 
( as they try hard to play it down  now)
And lastly by its success a warning it's just the beginning and Thai authorities can not protect you and you've been warned its not safe.
Next time I think bigger targets and more deaths will ruin the industry.
So decide for yourself if its nothing (13 bombs ) or a co ordinated terror attack....telling tourists that people within Thailand seek to cause this military government problems?

*a bit ranty* a majority of them were before mothers day.   the ones that got the most attention had white people injured. IF you noticed, nobody in the press cares about what day it was on.  AS a former demolitions guy,  its not southern insurgents. WHY? too many failed bombs without remote detonation, I just cant believe this.   detonating bombs in a deserted place?  NOT the south MO for sure. 

BBBBBBBUUUUUUTTTTT since you seem like a one sided person.   let me tell you a little secret.  as of last night your all monitored (and me too).   sure, thai police have no idea how to do anything ... like send gps. or .. anything related to their job.  SO i know every time they lie.    thats why its scary that our data is being filtered.   and dumb thai cop can easily use this for money. 

Bombs will never effect toursim for long.   BUT thai economy is super bad.  with the housing bubble and the subprime loan bubble. CRIME WILL GO UP. big time because dumb people can only do crime. Just look at all the robberies and mugging in RCA area.  SPIKED UP.   

Banks hire a collection agency that can track you down through GPS they get from thai telecom.  all of it is illegal. so why cant the police figure out GPS?

be very careful if you are a forgien national living in thailand.   when thais can not pay back their debt to banks, the banks get mob to scare them, then they have no choice but to commit crimes.  

AND NEVER GET IN A CAB WHO HAS A FACE MASK ON. reports of kidnappings *

THais are not in control.   germans are and chinese are.  Thais, we, are just slaves with no faces. And i am just a shadow on the keyboard. 

6 hours ago, The stuttering parrot said:

Maybe spending a bit of time on the job instead of trotting out the same statement day after day to the press some headway could be made.

starting to sound like the stuttering parrot.

oh hang on that's me.

Exactly. Instead of holding press conferences featuring their inane explanations, they should focus on solving the case and identifiying suspects. Once they have suspects they can focus on motive. 

Sometimes I feel the cops here just want to hear themselves talk .

Did you say p--p-p-p-p-p- polly wanta  cracker?

These red faces junta leaders just can't handle the truth even when evidence kick them in their butts. Just like the previous bomb incidents at Siam BTS. Magistrate court and Koh Samui, the political blame game came out from their mouths instantaneously and subsequent silence and no arrest and news fade away. It will be the same this time. Time pass, no arrest and hope no one remember until the next incident. 

5 hours ago, williamgeorgeallen said:

didnt they say they knew who was behind it? then surely the can deduce which camp they belong to.

The way I understood this story was that they don't have any idea who was behind it, thus the statement that arrest warrants will be applied for as soon as they know who was behind it. There may have been news stories earlier where some high-level buffoon seeking publicity claimed they knew who was behind it, but then they realized they've got no evidence, or something like that. Of course they want to blame Thaksin, but they probably have all his supporters here under such close surveillance that they know none of them could be implicated. Thirteen bombs in two widely separated provinces (that we know about) suggests that this was not a couple of guys getting together over beers and deciding to upset the status quo.

Edited by Acharn

I thought they had announced it was political sabotage relating to local issues and ordered by one man.

Oh. I forgot the police 'tactic' of issuing contradictory statements day after day until the press give up on them in frustration.

9 hours ago, huangnon said:

Seems like a total false-flag job.

False flag jobs don't work that great if you actually don't bother claiming responsibility for the organization that you want blamed.

As far as "but there was no claim of responsibility" -- almost all of the terrorist attacks (here and abroad) -- the perpetrators DO NOT claim responsibility.... they only claim responsibility if it serves a purpose (like recruitment).  

9 hours ago, bkkcanuck8 said:

False flag jobs don't work that great if you actually don't bother claiming responsibility for the organization that you want blamed.

As far as "but there was no claim of responsibility" -- almost all of the terrorist attacks (here and abroad) -- the perpetrators DO NOT claim responsibility.... they only claim responsibility if it serves a purpose (like recruitment).  

Edited by williamgeorgeallen

10 hours ago, Acharn said:

The way I understood this story was that they don't have any idea who was behind it, thus the statement that arrest warrants will be applied for as soon as they know who was behind it. There may have been news stories earlier where some high-level buffoon seeking publicity claimed they knew who was behind it, but then they realized they've got no evidence, or something like that. Of course they want to blame Thaksin, but they probably have all his supporters here under such close surveillance that they know none of them could be implicated. Thirteen bombs in two widely separated provinces (that we know about) suggests that this was not a couple of guys getting together over beers and deciding to upset the status quo.

there were many articles published a couple days ago  http://www.abc.net.au/news/2016-08-14/thai-police-know-who-was-behind-tourist-town-bombings/7732978

many more saying there was a single mastermind behind all the bombings.

best quote from this article

"I reaffirm that it was an act of local sabotage, not terrorism. We do not have terrorism in Thailand," he said.

14 minutes ago, williamgeorgeallen said:

there were many articles published a couple days ago  http://www.abc.net.au/news/2016-08-14/thai-police-know-who-was-behind-tourist-town-bombings/7732978

many more saying there was a single mastermind behind all the bombings.

best quote from this article

"I reaffirm that it was an act of local sabotage, not terrorism. We do not have terrorism in Thailand," he said.

It's terrifying to think 13 bombs co ordinated in a few regions with o many I juried and a few killed can be ( for financial reasons) dismissed by authorities as just something other than a political terrorist act.

39 minutes ago, Plutojames88 said:

It's terrifying to think 13 bombs co ordinated in a few regions with o many I juried and a few killed can be ( for financial reasons) dismissed by authorities as just something other than a political terrorist act.

Agreed, whoever was actually behind it (and I'd lean towards to Southern-separatists) , it's delusional to pretend that it wasn't a terrorist act. But that's poo-yais in-panic-mode for you. ;)

15 hours ago, Baerboxer said:

Based on what - your imagination?

Based on the exact same type of bombs being used in Bangkok during New Year holidays a few years ago, when Thaksin was under the cosh, popularity-wise. And many other similar incidents past and previous. Maybe you should read a few history books that weren't printed in Thailand.

24 minutes ago, Toknarok said:

The BBC's Jonathan Head has today summed it all up pretty succinctly..... http://www.bbc.com/news/world-asia-37091825

excellent link thanks. learnt a lot about what is going on about the shrine bombings. police seem to be making almost as much of a mess of that as they did the koh tao murder investigation. lets see how this investigation goes. not off to a good start so far.

34 minutes ago, Toknarok said:

The BBC's Jonathan Head has today summed it all up pretty succinctly..... http://www.bbc.com/news/world-asia-37091825

maybe if he was not in thaksins pocket he might be believable, unfortunately he has destroyed any notion of unbiased reporting by his previous actions/articles. What is needed is totally unbiased reporting  but in Thailand that is virtually impossible as everyone has their fingers in the pie, the truth is simply not important to any of them. All we can do is wait  and hope that the police do actually sort this all out, maybe they should forget about face and get in overseas help, at least then we would know that it is being done properly