The ONLY farang on the block syndrome

JJGreen

1 minute ago, JJGreen said:

None of that is relevant to the thread topic.

Try not to attack the individual but comment on the topic if u have an opinion 

If you do not want people to attack an individual, do not start nonsensical posts !

And a Yank quote is 'period' !

• Replies 111
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

5 hours ago, JJGreen said:

I think this can play a part in it for sure 

2 hours ago, JJGreen said:

2 hours ago, JJGreen said:

4 hours ago, cyberfarang said:

It`s because many Farlangs that settle in Thailand are running away from their lives and situations in their own countries for a multitude of reasons.  They may have been a Mr average or just plain losers in their past worlds and when they arrive in Thailand they can become whole new people, putting up a facade of being somebody they are not or as someone they always wanted to be.

When they start living among the Thais they get a false sense of identity as being the big Farlang, the big cheese of the neighbourhood, highly respected and looked up upon because everyone thinks they must be rich and successful by just being here. What was once a working class nobody in his own country has now progress to a upper middleclass suburban legend that all the Thais respect because they believe he has status and more money than them. 

Over time they rely on the nativity of the Thais with their stereotype images of Farlangs as all of us being well to do, it makes them feel secure and smug while they revel in their new found status and limelight as the big Farlang. Then another big bad Farlang moves in on their turf. A person that can read other Farlangs like a book and can see right through the facade. This makes the Farlangs feel at threat and insecure that their cover maybe blown and exposed for who and what they are, so they try to avoid the other Farlang at all costs, some even react rudely making it clear, I don`t want to know you.

This is what I said. They are people with much to hide and hate being exposed for what they really are, and why these pompous asses love being the only Farlang on the block.

This is a very interesting subject indeed, my friend felt the same way when he settles in a local street in Bkk. He felt very proud to be the only falang and did get a lot of attention, and felt everybody would look at him.  He got very intimate with the lb 's and ladygirls.  So why did he want to be only falang? As others have pointed out, if he is unique he get attention. That is why many falang want to be new boy in the street.

Buy the way...he got bored within a year....now moved back to home country.

10 hours ago, killbill said:

This is a very interesting subject indeed, my friend felt the same way when he settles in a local street in Bkk. He felt very proud to be the only falang and did get a lot of attention, and felt everybody would look at him.  He got very intimate with the lb 's and ladygirls.  So why did he want to be only falang? As others have pointed out, if he is unique he get attention. That is why many falang want to be new boy in the street.

Buy the way...he got bored within a year....now moved back to home country.

Thanks for the comment  killbill

To a lot of guys with decent observation skills and maybe now some former skeptics, it is apparent this is a very real thing

Edited by JJGreen

13 hours ago, JJGreen said:

"ruins the fantasy for them"

Another piece into the answer of why. It's all starting to make sense now

"blend in better than you"

That have me a good laugh. 

Quite a few answers on this thread have given explanations that have been spot on!

It has filled in gaps about things I've seen and sensed at times but haven't been able to articulate well enough.

I wouldn't say many of em are doing it on purpose. For most, they arrive at a tourist location in Thailand then start to feel a little disgusted by the way people kinda walk all over the locals and use this place as their playground. Eventually they retreat to what they consider to be the "real" Thailand, usually associating with what they've determined to be the "real" Thais. The site of another foreigner is a bleak reminder that they're not as different as they thought they were.

This happens to the Thais too. Occasionally I meet a Thai girl that likes to hang out with foreigners and acts like every other girl that does it is a hooker.

On 18/08/2016 at 1:03 PM, eldragon said:

I wouldn't say many of em are doing it on purpose. For most, they arrive at a tourist location in Thailand then start to feel a little disgusted by the way people kinda walk all over the locals and use this place as their playground. Eventually they retreat to what they consider to be the "real" Thailand, usually associating with what they've determined to be the "real" Thais. The site of another foreigner is a bleak reminder that they're not as different as they thought they were.

This happens to the Thais too. Occasionally I meet a Thai girl that likes to hang out with foreigners and acts like every other girl that does it is a hooker.

Some more good points.

Farangs are already different here...some dudes just want to be the only different one

" Why do some farangs want to be the ‘only farang "  ?

Never thought about it really maybe they just want to keep themselves to themselves.

I dread sometimes tourist wanting to talk more with me other than how and where can we do this and that. :)

The nearest permanent farang to me here in rural Khampaeng Phet is a Belgian 5 km away who cannot speak English at all which sort of kills conversation. The only language we have in common is mangled Thai and that doesn't work either.

The next nearest are about 15k away from me and 3km from each other. One is a good friend and we meet every 3 or 4 weeks to swap books and have a natter. He is 80, German but left there as a teenager to live in Australia and has lived in Thailand for 10 years or so. The other is 68, English, lived in Australia for many years and spends half his time up here and the other half in Hua Hin.

They live about 4km apart and don't speak to each other.

After that I have no one closer than 65km.

On 8/18/2016 at 1:03 PM, eldragon said:

Strange post,  so all my every other Thai baby female friends,  young Thai lady female friends and Thai lady friends that like to occasionally hang around me are hookers. :lol:  :lol:  :cheesy:  what totally stupid deleted deleted deleted idiot. 

7 hours ago, Kwasaki said:

Strange post,  so all my every other Thai baby female friends,  young Thai lady female friends and Thai lady friends that like to occasionally hang around me are hookers. :lol:  :lol:  :cheesy:  what totally stupid deleted deleted deleted idiot. 

Read my post again.

On 17/8/2559 at 9:01 PM, TSF said:

Some guys have anti-western attitudes, they shun their own race and rush to embrace Thais. I've seen them go gaga over Thai culture, and they believe the Thais really love and accept them. Strikes me as a fool's paradise. I think the ones that do this are mostly fairly new, in time their attitude should change. I also think their home countries must be dreadful places if they prefer to live like a recluse in rural Yasothon or the ass-end of Buriram.

Have you ever lived in rural Thailand?

I live with my wife and son on 15 rai in rural Khampaeng Phet next to the Mae Wong national park. There is fresh air all of the time, it is relatively clean, the Thai people are friendly and non threatening, there are few if any traffic jams except on market days and then only for a couple of minutes.

I live in a valley with hills front and back. We have relatively modern inventions such as 3G for mobile phones, internet connections, cars, motorbikes, gas stations, fresh markets 3 days a week, Thais who can speak other languages depending on who they are married to. 

A good restaurant in the village plus some others and if you want to make the 65km journey to Khampaeng Phet once a month there is a BigC shopping mall plus Makro, or the other way down to Nakhon Sawan 125km there is a good provincial city or you can go over to Phitsanulok which is great for a weekend.

What we don't have is pollution, traffic jams, hordes of people wandering around, heads down looking for Pokemon, no motorbikes on the pavements, nobody fighting or killing farangs because they are drunk.

I lived and worked in cities fro a great part of my working life and while many of them were OK, the 4 years I lived in BKK were not the nicest.

On 8/18/2016 at 0:25 AM, JJGreen said:

Have you suddenly become a moderator now ? 

9 minutes ago, balo said:

Have you suddenly become a moderator now ? 

Dude...stay on topic...enough of the irrelevant personal stuff. 

If you don't have an opinion of my topic say nothing

What is it with some guys?

2 hours ago, Kwasaki said:

I did and still come to the same conclusion,  narrow and don't make any sense.

Some Thai women act like they're the only one in the room who is not a hooker, just like some foreigner think they're the only one who "gets" Thailand.

11 hours ago, billd766 said:

Have you ever lived in rural Thailand?

I live with my wife and son on 15 rai in rural Khampaeng Phet next to the Mae Wong national park. There is fresh air all of the time, it is relatively clean, the Thai people are friendly and non threatening, there are few if any traffic jams except on market days and then only for a couple of minutes.

I live in a valley with hills front and back. We have relatively modern inventions such as 3G for mobile phones, internet connections, cars, motorbikes, gas stations, fresh markets 3 days a week, Thais who can speak other languages depending on who they are married to. 

A good restaurant in the village plus some others and if you want to make the 65km journey to Khampaeng Phet once a month there is a BigC shopping mall plus Makro, or the other way down to Nakhon Sawan 125km there is a good provincial city or you can go over to Phitsanulok which is great for a weekend.

What we don't have is pollution, traffic jams, hordes of people wandering around, heads down looking for Pokemon, no motorbikes on the pavements, nobody fighting or killing farangs because they are drunk.

I lived and worked in cities fro a great part of my working life and while many of them were OK, the 4 years I lived in BKK were not the nicest.

Would u want other farangs living in your village?

11 hours ago, JJGreen said:

Would u want other farangs living in your village?

Of course.

There are, but one is a FIFO working out of East Timor and here one month out of three. He has a mixed farm that his wife runs full time with some family help.

The other is my mate from way back in1993 when we worked together in a few countries. He is still working but comes over 2 or 3 times a year. He lives in Denmark with his wife though she spends more time here than he does. They have a resort that her family run for him and his wife.

18 minutes ago, billd766 said:

Of course.

There are, but one is a FIFO working out of East Timor and here one month out of three. He has a mixed farm that his wife runs full time with some family help.

The other is my mate from way back in1993 when we worked together in a few countries. He is still working but comes over 2 or 3 times a year. He lives in Denmark with his wife though she spends more time here than he does. They have a resort that her family run for him and his wife.

As l said before never thought about the thread question, choosing to retire where l am was a decision made for different reasons.

" My " village :D has farangies residents in it and few part timers,  an Italian whose been here 30 years or so,  a German about 18 years,  a Norwegian same as me 11 years,  we only say hello from time to time and that's about it.

There's supposed to be another German whose been here a while as well but l think he must hide amongst tourists or hides outside the village because l've never seen him.  

There's a young Englishman here about 2 years whose built about 6 terraced bungalow guest rooms with his wife's on her bit of village land she has.

He walks what seems hurriedly by me sometimes when l'm sitting in a restaurant which l call my pub with his wife,  he seems a bit estranged to others or maybe he thinks the same way about me.  :lol:

As l said before never thought about the thread question, choosing to retire where l am was a decision made for different reasons.

" My " village [emoji3] has farangies residents in it and few part timers,  an Italian whose been here 30 years or so,  a German about 18 years,  a Norwegian same as me 11 years,  we only say hello from time to time and that's about it.

There's supposed to be another German whose been here a while as well but l think he must hide amongst tourists or hides outside the village because l've never seen him.  

There's a young Englishman here about 2 years whose built about 6 terraced bungalow guest rooms with his wife's on her bit of village land she has.

He walks what seems hurriedly by me sometimes when l'm sitting in a restaurant which l call my pub with his wife,  he seems a bit estranged to others or maybe he thinks the same way about me.  [emoji38]

There is a demand in your village for guest rooms?

14 hours ago, JJGreen said:

There is a demand in your village for guest rooms?

If that was a real question that could only be a joke.

Yeah was gonna edit but leaving the ' house ' bit off guessed people would get it. :P

If that was a real question that could only be a joke.

Yeah was gonna edit but leaving the ' house ' bit off guessed people would get it. [emoji14]

You have lost me. Do u mean the rooms are for her family?
I initially thought u meant guest rooms for travellers... which seemed odd for a small village

Why would I be interested in talking to you just because we happen to have the same colour skin? We probably have bugger all else in common.

Some people seem to think farangs in Thailand are all members of some club and should acknowledge each other whenever they meet. I don't agree. You're just some random white dude I don't know. I wouldn't make a fuss over meeting you back where I came from, so I'm not going to do it here either.

1 hour ago, JJGreen said:

You have lost me. Do u mean the rooms are for her family?
I initially thought u meant guest rooms for travellers... which seemed odd for a small village

In my small village there are 3 resorts in a 2 km stretch of the road. None of them seem to make enough money to keep going but somehow they do.