Cabinet endorses 2.5 billion baht for improvement of drainage system in city

snoop1130

Cabinet endorses 2.5 billion baht for improvement of drainage system in city

image-25-wpcf_728x409.jpeg

The cabinet has approved a budget amounting to 2.5 billion baht to improve water drainage system in Bangkok as part of the flood prevention and mitigation project.

Bangkok deputy city clerk Pattharut Tapthranont said that the budget would be used to build water drainage system at 11 spots in Bangkok.

The project envisages the laying down of concrete pipes with a diameter of between 1.5-2 metres 3-5 metres under the roads.

Water will be drawn from the pipes through storage ponds into klongs such as Saensaeb.

Pattharut said that the City Hall had already conducted initial study about the project to ascertain its impacts.  But before the project is implemented, more study will be undertaken, he said, assuring that bus services will not be affected.

Work will start at seven spots on the Sukhumvit road with Klong Saensaeb as the main conduit for draining water out into the Chao Phraya river.

Source: http://englishnews.thaipbs.or.th/cabinet-endorses-2-5-billion-baht-improvement-drainage-system-city/

thaipbs_logo.jpg
-- © Copyright Thai PBS 2016-08-17

So we can expect this work to be completed sometime in our children's lifetime?  I would also expect that much of the 2.5 billion baht budget will be consumed in the "studies" to be conducted by friends of friends.  But hey, I'm a 'glass half empty' kind of guy (especially since my ten years experience with Thailand).  

True, BKK gets the lion's share of attention being the centre of the universe, but also the lion's share of media attention. 

Round where I live up here in lower Issan, crews have been <deleted> and elbows the past 2 years widening 2 lane roads and bridges into 4 lane, putting in drainage pipes (some of it drainage to nowhere though :() and especially this year with the drought, have been cleaning out/enlarging klongs and water reservoirs, new electrical substations, etc.  Still sucking hind tit on water supply though.  Places closer to Lam Takong irrigation are ok but outlying areas still struggling. 

11 minutes ago, 55Jay said:

True, BKK gets the lion's share of attention being the centre of the universe, but also the lion's share of media attention. 

Round where I live up here in lower Issan, crews have been <deleted> and elbows the past 2 years widening 2 lane roads and bridges into 4 lane, putting in drainage pipes (some of it drainage to nowhere though :() and especially this year with the drought, have been cleaning out/enlarging klongs and water reservoirs, new electrical substations, etc.  Still sucking hind tit on water supply though.  Places closer to Lam Takong irrigation are ok but outlying areas still struggling. 

Fact is they all get budgets but because BKK is the biggest city by far and the place the most money is made they get more. They should compare budget per person to see what is fair.. and also paid tax per area (smarter to invest more in area's where money is made)

6 hours ago, robblok said:

Fact is they all get budgets but because BKK is the biggest city by far and the place the most money is made they get more. They should compare budget per person to see what is fair.. and also paid tax per area (smarter to invest more in area's where money is made)

That all makes perfect sense to me. If government budgets are as I know them, the work going on in my area the past 2 years, was allocated and funded in out year budgets during the Yingluck administration.  :crazy:

24 minutes ago, Redline said:

You can spend 80 billion, but if no one maintains them (cleans the furniture, soil, bricks, trash), what good is it?  People will just throw more and bigger items into them!  Same problem

That's true.  Visit my mate on the dark side of Pattaya, that long hill going up from Sukhimivt  over the rail way level crossing into the Dark Side.....forget the name of the road... but all the shops dump their sh-t-te and hot cooking oil into the road drains.  All good, until it rains.  What a mess!   :facepalm:

2.5 million to fix a problem that impacts millions of people and is a disgrace for a city of its size yet . . . 

gazillions of baht allocated for submarines, etc that really have limited value to the people of Thailand.  

12 hours ago, rkidlad said:

Takes 'better late than never' to a whole new meaning. 

Shocking it has taken this long. 

Hope they have studied what extra volume of water the klongs can cope with.

Or is this just a very expensive shift the problem exercise?

9 hours ago, 55Jay said:

That all makes perfect sense to me. If government budgets are as I know them, the work going on in my area the past 2 years, was allocated and funded in out year budgets during the Yingluck administration.  :crazy:

That they are.. but even before this time BKK got budgets like these and you guys got also budgets. So I would not worry that much. Its the usual anti BKK sentiment from some old farts. A city that has so many people in it and makes so much money will have huge budgets. 

Just recently the junta made sure all the villages got a new budget from village funds and such. Problem is though and will always be that local guys steal (everyone steals along the line)

okay, but same as any other waste of money.  same.  the current policies along with say tourism as the end all and be all are not sustainable. nor big Bangkok projects.      

Hansen, J. and Sato, M. and Hearty... Ice melt, sea level rise and superstorms.
Atmospheric Chemistry and Physics.
Vol 16 Year 2016    

Edited by maewang99

"Water will be drawn from the pipes through storage ponds into klongs such as Saensaeb."

I could have sworn that during the 2011 floods Saensaep was full to the brim, and even overflowing in parts.  How will it now miraculously acquire the ability to carry more water?