Thai police name 1 man as suspect in tourist spot bombings 

Jonathan Fairfield

Thai police name 1 man as suspect in tourist spot bombings 

BANGKOK (AP) — Thai police said Friday they have obtained an arrest warrant for a suspect in last week's bombing and arson attacks that killed four people and wounded several dozen.

Police spokesman Col. Krisana Pattanacharoen announced that a warrant had been issued for a man named Ahama Lengha because there was clear evidence linking him to the Aug. 11 and 12 attacks in seven provinces.

Ahama is suspected of planting a bomb in Phuket's Patong beach district, a popular tourist destination.

The government has not specified who it believes was behind the attacks but analysts strongly suspect they were carried out by southern separatists.

Ahama comes from Narathiwat, one of Thailand's three southernmost provinces where a Muslim separatist insurgency that flared in 2004 has taken more than 6,000 lives.

A second reported arrest has not been confirmed.

Also on Friday, the army turned over to police custody 15 people they accused of forming a gang with the apparent intention of stirring up political trouble.

The military had detained those suspects and two others in the immediate aftermath of the attacks, and media reports based on police leaks had speculated of links between the detainees and the attacks.

Deputy Prime Minister Prawit Wongsuwan and the national police chief on Friday denied the two cases were linked.

The main charge against the 15 and two other people not currently in custody is being members of a criminal organization.

The police's Crime Suppression Division said they were members of previously unknown group called the Revolutionary Front for Democracy Party, with the objective of opposing the military government.

Police said they had been tracking the group since last December. Nine of the 17 are 60 years or older, including two who are 71.

ap_logo.jpg
-- © Associated Press 2016-08-20

14 minutes ago, Thailand said:

Appear to be under orders to find some sort of red shirt link no matter how spurious. Grandads army seem to be the current contenders.

Interesting assessment considering Narathiwat is a southern province. A bit of research would not go amiss.

damage limitation, blame it on those that are already active in terror ........................ nothing new here it's almost normal for Thailand and the rest of the world to have Muslims causing trouble....end of

It is possible maybe even probable but I have not seen anything convincing to make me believe

Bear in mind, it has been 9 days since the first bomb. And they are bringing in a suspect only now? Nine days is an eternity when it comes to bomb investigations. What on earth have they been doing for the past nine days? And they still refuse to even consider calling it any sort of terrorism. That evil word might scare away tourists.

Well, I will tell you something guys. Those bombings did scare away tourists. I have a friend who is visiting Pattaya at the moment, and it is a ghost town. And I have another friend in Samui, and he says he has never seen it so slow. He knows of a large Chinese group who cancelled due to the bombings. When the Chinese start cancelling you know you have problems! 

August 12 - ‘Bangkok blames political opposition, not Islamic terrorists, for attacks on tourist spots’ https://www.rt.com/op-edge/355670-thailand-attack-blast-south/

August 12 - Prayut suspects political motives behind spate of bomb attacks http://www.nationmultimedia.com/breakingnews/Prayut-suspects-political-motives-behind-spate-of--30292773.html

August 16 - Thailand Eyes Muslim Separatists in Deadly String of Bombings http://www.wsj.com/articles/thailand-eyes-muslim-separatists-in-deadly-string-of-bombings-1471345889

August 17 - Thailand still has no idea who's to blame for the Bangkok bombing being called a ‘bid to destroy the economy' http://www.businessinsider.com/thailand-no-idea-who-did-bangkok-bombing-2015-8

A web of intrigue, or something more along the lines of Sir Walter Scott's Marmiom?

web.jpg

As Ricardo points out in another thread, seems Thaksin has been having several talks with BRN southern insurgent leaders in Dubai and elsewhere. Perhaps Thaksin could 'help' in this matter?

'there were many such meetings later in some countries where the BRN leaders were not residing' -
'The Democrats will in no way agree to the movement's proposal, but Thaksin can avoid rules and skip loopholes'.
'When Thaksin agreed to talks, the [BRN] leaders trusted him and agreed to talk with him'

http://www.bt.com.bn/2013/03/11/thai-rebel-group-trusts-thaksin-peace-initiative

Regarding the detained red-shirts mentioned in the OP, the article did not mention a significant 'little' detail:

The defendants, who are mostly Redshirt supporters in their 60s, stand accused of belonging to a clandestine network and conspiring in armed struggle against the state, an allegation denied by leaders of the Redshirt movement.

Edited by sujoop
format

31 minutes ago, spidermike007 said:

Bear in mind, it has been 9 days since the first bomb. And they are bringing in a suspect only now? Nine days is an eternity when it comes to bomb investigations. What on earth have they been doing for the past nine days? And they still refuse to even consider calling it any sort of terrorism. That evil word might scare away tourists.

Well, I will tell you something guys. Those bombings did scare away tourists. I have a friend who is visiting Pattaya at the moment, and it is a ghost town. And I have another friend in Samui, and he says he has never seen it so slow. He knows of a large Chinese group who cancelled due to the bombings. When the Chinese start cancelling you know you have problems! 

but but but T.A.T. say it's so busy in pattaya and hua hin is back to normal, i have to believe T A T because it' is such a creditable organised government department 

2 hours ago, Caveat Emptor said:

Is he the supposed mastermind behind the campaign or will they claim he rushed around doing it all himself   ?

He is linked to seven provinces so he must be like the versatile section 44 everywhere.:cheesy:, from the start  security  agencies advised the police that attacks were imminent , so they know that an organized operation is in place , the question is have they got it right , I don't think so..................................................:coffee1:

55 minutes ago, waldroj said:

August 12 - ‘Bangkok blames political opposition, not Islamic terrorists, for attacks on tourist spots’ https://www.rt.com/op-edge/355670-thailand-attack-blast-south/

August 12 - Prayut suspects political motives behind spate of bomb attacks http://www.nationmultimedia.com/breakingnews/Prayut-suspects-political-motives-behind-spate-of--30292773.html

August 16 - Thailand Eyes Muslim Separatists in Deadly String of Bombings http://www.wsj.com/articles/thailand-eyes-muslim-separatists-in-deadly-string-of-bombings-1471345889

August 17 - Thailand still has no idea who's to blame for the Bangkok bombing being called a ‘bid to destroy the economy' http://www.businessinsider.com/thailand-no-idea-who-did-bangkok-bombing-2015-8

A web of intrigue, or something more along the lines of Sir Walter Scott's Marmiom?

web.jpg

August 12th looks correct , political  opposition , the rest is guessing.

1 hour ago, smedly said:

damage limitation, blame it on those that are already active in terror ........................ nothing new here it's almost normal for Thailand and the rest of the world to have Muslims causing trouble....end of

It is possible maybe even probable but I have not seen anything convincing to make me believe

Did you ever stop to think that maybe they have what they say they have? Or does it no fit your "must be Thaksin and the red shirts" theory?

3 hours ago, Caveat Emptor said:

Is he the supposed mastermind behind the campaign or will they claim he rushed around doing it all himself   ?

Of course he did he had a jet powered wheel chair. I am noticing that the police have become more tight lipped than in the past which is a good thing. They have however released one name and the fact that an arrest warrant has been issued. That would be the signal for this guy to pack up and get out of Dodge. Prayuth himself is staying above the fray with his usual tirades disappearing. Will the BIB be collecting the Olympic gold on this one? Stay tuned. 

The country unfortunately has a huge problem now. This was almost certainly the work of southern insurgents but the government wont admit it because they know that ongoing terrorism, which is what it is, pure and simple, will destroy tourism.

I was in Hua Hin at the time and the day on which everything reopened it was back to normal. But if the southern terror campaign has gone nationwide and continues as it has done in the deep south it will be a disaster. Its fortunate for Thailand that the Western press have left the southern problems virtually unreported but this will change very quickly if an ongoing campaign ensues which affects tourists.

56 minutes ago, andyww said:

The country unfortunately has a huge problem now. This was almost certainly the work of southern insurgents but the government wont admit it because they know that ongoing terrorism, which is what it is, pure and simple, will destroy tourism.

I was in Hua Hin at the time and the day on which everything reopened it was back to normal. But if the southern terror campaign has gone nationwide and continues as it has done in the deep south it will be a disaster. Its fortunate for Thailand that the Western press have left the southern problems virtually unreported but this will change very quickly if an ongoing campaign ensues which affects tourists.

I think you are missing the reason why they don't admit its the terrorists from the south. They, the army is in control of the government but is also directly responsible for the fight against these terrorists. If they acknowledge its the southern terrorists they are admitting failure to control the spread of these terrorists and admitting failure to bring about stability which was the cornerstone motivation for the coup, the loss of face that's involved is just too much. Its got nothing to do with tourism its all about saving face.